• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Nice, this is a conversion of the arcade or a port of the hyper neo geo 64 (or something of the sort)? We never got cool stuff in Spain...
Edit: did you edit the thread title or am I blind?

Oct 26, 2017
That IS the arcade board, run through a supergun setup to play on a TV.

The Hyper Neo Geo 64 is such a weird machine. It was too little too late, it could have competed a few years earlier but it was just too weak. It's too bad they never tried a 2D game on it, theoretically it could have had amazing games.

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this, I forgot how fast games used to be able to boot
Granted I've never seen an arcade game boot on HW before

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Really love to see stuff like this, video game industry is really barebones when it comes to preserving history. With this, and the recent videos about Dinosaur Planet, it's just great to see.

If anyone has any suggestions of channels like this one, or anything that focuses on video game history it would be nice to share! I never have enough of these videos.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Really love to see stuff like this, video game industry is really barebones when it comes to preserving history. With this, and the recent videos about Dinosaur Planet, it's just great to see.

If anyone has any suggestions of channels like this one, or anything that focuses on video game history it would be nice to share! I never have enough of these videos.

Hard4Games is legit. Weird name but they do cool preservation stuff too

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at work and can't listen to it right now, but what liquid is he using to clean the board?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome discovery. I remember desperately wanting to play any HNG64 game at that time but no arcade close to me ordered any. Really cool to see some preservation of it.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The Hyper Neo Geo 64 is such a weird machine. It was too little too late, it could have competed a few years earlier but it was just too weak. It's too bad they never tried a 2D game on it, theoretically it could have had amazing games.

The HNG64 was weaker than Sega's Model 3 but it was on par with Namco and Konami 3D hardware at the time.

EDIT: Amazing that VGEsoterica got his hands on a unique prototype.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
The HNG64 was weaker than Sega's Model 3 but it was on par with Namco and Konami 3D hardware at the time.

EDIT: Amazing that VGEsoterica got his hands on a unique prototype.

yes I'd say that's about correct. It's hard with the Hyper because they chose a texture filtering method which shows pixels...so people view it as "not as good" visually

but watch something like Beast Busters Second Nightmare and the Hyper throws around a ton of polygons on screen at once at 60fps and looks legit good

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Awesome discovery. I remember desperately wanting to play any HNG64 game at that time but no arcade close to me ordered any. Really cool to see some preservation of it.

sadly they really didn't get very good distribution outside of Japan. The only cabinet I saw back in the day was Beast Busters : Second Nightmare. Played it at a hotel in Vail, CO when I was at the US Freeskiing open

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
14022103.jpg

interestingly basically every ad and preview for the game are wholly comprised of HUD elements not in the final game too

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that arcades died in most parts of the worod, around 2005 I could still find some HNG64 games in some old arcades, but never had enough time to play them, I have yet to try Buriki One

Last edited:

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Interview with Eurogamer

www.eurogamer.net

24-year-old, never-before-seen Hyper Neo Geo 64 game prototype found under a collapsed tree in a California field

A never-before-seen Hyper Neo Geo 64 Samurai Shodown 64 prototype was found sitting under a tree in a Californian field…

So that's what happened to Video Connection, I was wondering what happened to them. I bought many boards from them, including a Hyper Neo Geo 64 v1 board from them back in the day...

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
So that's what happened to Video Connection, I was wondering what happened to them. I bought many boards from them, including a Hyper Neo Geo 64 v1 board from them back in the day...

yeah it seems people know the name. I'm from the east coast originally so this is the first I've heard it but they seem to have been a decently big arcade vendor back then