• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
So there's three ways to stop getting thrown? Ah, nice one. I guess they can't grab you midjump?

Never played a SamSho before (or an SNK fighter, for that matter). Really impressed with it. I'm dogshite, but the fights are fantastic.

I've just checked the frame data again and there are no buttons faster or on par with 3f guard break. So in neutral game you either AB dodge or jump.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is a SP Story mode in the pipeline, similar to what we saw with SFV?

Or nothing at all?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
SP is the « normal » story mode where you have a prologue and an ending for each caracter. Pretty standard and does the job.

Well, it's a bit barebones to be honest.

Maybe I got spoiled with other games, but even Soul Calibur 1 had more stuff , unlockables, story, etc.

SFV that had a lot of backlash because it launched withouth much content, now has a full story mode. Even Power Ranger BFTG has a cinematic story mode.

Again, I might be spoiled, but would like to see a bigger development in SamSho characters, lore, etc.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the Sogetso trailer, I decided to jump back in practicing/playing the game. Decided to practice using Rimururu but online seems to be almost dead. I guess Samurai Shodown didn't really take off.

Oct 26, 2017
After watching the Sogetso trailer, I decided to jump back in practicing/playing the game. Decided to practice using Rimururu but online seems to be almost dead. I guess Samurai Shodown didn't really take off.

Delay based netcode with no crossplay will do that. It's the unfortunate reality of modern fighting games.

If rollback and crossplay were present, this game would have a dedicated online community. It might be small, but it would be dedicated.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Delay based netcode with no crossplay will do that. It's the unfortunate reality of modern fighting games.

If rollback and crossplay were present, this game would have a dedicated online community. It might be small, but it would be dedicated.
Yeah, I thought it would be about the netcode. This got thinking about getting Granblue Fantasy Versus. But that has a delay based netcode right? Wonder how long it will last.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Does this really not have a classic arcade mode? Story is the closest but if I want to play one character, I have to go through the same opponents. Vs mode also qualify due to the random opponent option but it's still not the real deal.
Ghost mode sounded too good to be true and online is a deserted wasteland.
Sad, as I really enjoy the core gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any good high-level matches of the newer characters? If I can't play it, at least I'd enjoy watching it...
There was an online WNF tournament yesterday that had some Mina and Sogetsu in it. Tourny starts at 2 hours if link doesn't go right to it.
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
New patch is in and damn, Kyoshiro got a large boost. You can now connect his far heavy slash from either throws (only worked from the back one earlier). Need to test the other changes...

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Had a tough time with Sogetsu in story mode, vs Yasha and the final boss. Pretty fun playstyle but dunno if I'll keep using him.

So far, I'm maining Kyo and Shizumaru.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to defend against jump-in throws? Fought against a Haohmaru who gets me with that everytime. Tried to counter by spamming 2D after blocking high but his throws are to fast. How do you defend against that?

Thanks.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
If opponent always uses jump ins be it throws or footsies I focus on preventing him to land, so use anti airs. Most characters have one

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
If opponent always uses jump ins be it throws or footsies I focus on preventing him to land, so use anti airs. Most characters have one
I forgot to mention, I use Sogetsu by the way. His 623S, just comes out too slow I feel or maybe I just don't get the timing right. Will try to practice his anti-air a bit to see if I can manage to get it right for jump-ins.

Thanks.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Sougetsu in forever, but if his normals ressemble Suija's, try jumping at them and use your best air-to-air move?

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Sogetsu is tough to play from my limited time with him. He has some really neat tricks with his fire(water?)balls and 623's and his hard slash is insane in range but he's one of those characters that are really hard to master and succeed with his mind-tricks.

I LOVE Kyo, that's why it's baffling to me that I can't play him in a regular arcade mode, ramping up the difficulty as I go. Online is ok but my life atm is super busy and waiting around for opponents just doesn't cut it.

I also want to master Shizumaru, since I like his style, and recently I really got into Genjuro. Didn't realise how fun and ruthless he is.

Man, with a few improvements (more color edits please!), mode/s and a S3, this game will go down as my favourite 2D fighter evah. It still is but atm I feel it's incomplete-ish

Also, for people claiming joycon dpad is crap for fighters, at least with this game, all my inputs come out no problems. I have some problems with the SF collection since the timing is more strict ?! but I grew accustomed to it.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't access the S2 fighters. I bought Mina and season pass 2 today, yet in the character select it tells me I need to purchase them... when accessing the store via the main menu it says the are downloaded already. Any advice would be welcome.

Edit: Nevermind, had to restore the licenses. Tried out both Mina and Sogetsu, both feel good. Hope to be able to test them out against other players in the next few days.

Last edited:

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Man, this game seems dead. Dunno about those online reports; I seem to never get any ranked or casual matches in. Tried Iroha for a bit and she seems like an all-rounder character, no pun intended. Really curious if they will continue support for this after the mystery DLC pack is out.

I'd love for most fighters look into what makes this gameplay great. Really easy to grasp fundamentals and universal moves without learning super complex strings.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I loooove the gameplay in this game, but online is completely dead so I've shelved it. A real shame. Wonder if crossplay would have helped.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
SNK recently asked for feedback on their games. Here's hoping they listen to the add rollback to Samurai Shodown responses.

Oct 26, 2017
I've recently found out the netcode in SamSho V Special is miles ahead of this. What gives?

I have absolutely no idea, but maybe it's easier to add new netcode to an old emulated game with tons of performance to spare than a game that is supposedly running near the max of the hardware? Or maybe it's easier to add to a standalone emulator than whatever integrated net solution was built into the new game at start.

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently found out the netcode in SamSho V Special is miles ahead of this. What gives?
SNK's rollback titles (Samsho V Special, Last Blade 2, Garou, and KOF 97) were ports developed by Code Mystics with SNK publishing them. It (at least what other people say) is easier to retrofit rollback into older titles than it is into current ones.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Man, this game seems dead. Dunno about those online reports; I seem to never get any ranked or casual matches in. Tried Iroha for a bit and she seems like an all-rounder character, no pun intended. Really curious if they will continue support for this after the mystery DLC pack is out.

I'd love for most fighters look into what makes this gameplay great. Really easy to grasp fundamentals and universal moves without learning super complex strings.
It would help if they'd put it on a good sale. It's constantly at full price.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Today I received my copy of the game, I wanted to play the game since the announcement! The only platform that I have where the game is available is the Switch, so, how is the netcode and the online community there?

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
It takes a lot of effort to fail so badly at selling your own game. Good job SNK.

Preach! Such a sad story this game. Booted this up on NSW the other night for some fights and I'm constantly reminded that this fighter is just sooo much fun to play and easy to get into. I've bombarded SNK's twitter with requests for a classic arcade mode, more content, colors, arenas, anything...
Online is a wasteland for me (EU) and when I get to play some matches it's not the best.
Rollback, matchmaking, more customization options (colors at least), and crossplay would do this game justice.

Man, PC players got the short end of the stick, too. Too bad, because at times, I compare this to other fighting game mechanics and this comes out on top for me since I'm not a combo centric fg player but I loove my mindgames.

zsidane

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wahran, AKA Oran,DZ
Preach! Such a sad story this game. Booted this up on NSW the other night for some fights and I'm constantly reminded that this fighter is just sooo much fun to play and easy to get into. I've bombarded SNK's twitter with requests for a classic arcade mode, more content, colors, arenas, anything...
Online is a wasteland for me (EU) and when I get to play some matches it's not the best.
Rollback, matchmaking, more customization options (colors at least), and crossplay would do this game justice.

Man, PC players got the short end of the stick, too. Too bad, because at times, I compare this to other fighting game mechanics and this comes out on top for me since I'm not a combo centric fg player but I loove my mindgames.
Looks like JAP/US can't play with EUR/AUS/NZ

I have a US copy and I can't find a single player from these regions. is it because it is a different publisher?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not good or anything, but I'd be down to schedule some matches with people here. Seems like the only way to get online games going now.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Damn it's that bad? I played for a couple months at launch and was easy to get matches.
i don't think is that bad? I find it much easier to SS play online than KOF 14 almost a year after launch.
it would be interesting to know on which system people are playing, ps4 here, i'm at +5000 online ranked matches (never play friendly since i find it much easier to find games on ranked) i play weekly and while there's an occasional day or hour (monday morning for example) that it takes longer, i usually have no problems finding games (connection quality also generaly good on my end at least despite playing agains people from Japan or Brazil or US). If i don't find anyone, instead of searching i put myself open to online requests and i usually end playing quite a bit.
This game however, as most SNK games, would benefit from crossplay though.

Oct 26, 2017
Next dlc character to be revealed soon

www.gematsu.com

Samurai Shodown DLC character announcement set for New Game+ Expo

SNK will announce the final downloadable content character for Season 2 of Samurai Shodown during the New Game+ Expo live stream on June 23, the company teased.

Doesn't look like gen an to me. Maybe Sieger?

If this is a guest, I can't make out who it is based on the silhouette.

I don't think it's Sieger, since I don't see that gauntlet in the silhouette, but the silhouette itself might be misleading. I think it might be a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
Next dlc character to be revealed soon

www.gematsu.com

Samurai Shodown DLC character announcement set for New Game+ Expo

SNK will announce the final downloadable content character for Season 2 of Samurai Shodown during the New Game+ Expo live stream on June 23, the company teased.

Doesn't look like gen an to me. Maybe Sieger?
Kuroki said that the character would shock many people which leads to believe it's guest character but nothing comes to mind looking at that silhouette. I saw some people post this character from For Honor which honestly does seem to match up silhouette wise but I feel would really weird choice for a guest character.
EbFaJJtUYAE-AY8

Oct 26, 2017
Kuroki said that the character would shock many people which leads to believe it's guest character but nothing comes to mind looking at that silhouette. I saw some people post this character from For Honor which honestly does seem to match up silhouette wise but I feel would really weird choice for a guest character.
EbFaJJtUYAE-AY8

Wow, that would be a very shocking choice, especially since I think everyone would have expected a guest from Tekken, Soul Calibur or even Fighting EX Layer based on all the SNK guests lately.

On one hand, if this means a SamSho crossover in For Honor, then I'd accept this.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I dont play SamSho but I do play the shit out of For Honor and this is wild lol