• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
ogp.jpg

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Google Stadia
Release Date:
XB1/PS4 - June 25th, 2019​
Stadia - November 19th, 2019​
Switch - February 25th, 2020​
PC - June 11th, 2020​
Genre: Fighting Game
Price: $59.99 USD
Player(s): 1-2 (local) 1-10 (online)
Format: Digital/Physical
Developer/Publisher: SNK CORPORATION
Size: ~20GB

fPmleFc.png

How does the game play compared to others in the genre?
The popular feeling is that the gameplay is less about combos, more about patience and reading your opponent. This shifts a BIT depending on the character you play, but it's still prevalent throughout. The majority of robbing matches from your opponent won't come from setplay and comeback tools, but more through patience, good reactions, and forcing impatience out of your opponent.

Fights are generally grounded and spacing based. You'll be testing your opponents ranges with weapon strikes, and trying to only use the strong strikes when you know they're going to hit.

The universal systems are closer to KOF, in that you have runs, dodges, and quick backdashes. Pokes are more like traditional SF, in that they lead to simple followups, rather than MAX Cancels.

Is there a guide out there for new players?

Single player content?
There is a "Story Mode" that acts as your traditional arcade experience where you complete a series of fights to reach an end boss.

The game also includes an advanced AI mode that "learns players' game actions and patterns in order to create CPU-controlled "ghost" characters". These AI can be challenged by players worldwide.

Characters?
Samurai Shodown includes 13 returning characters:
A3JupkK.png

Haohmaru
Nakoruru
Genjuro Kibagami
Yoshitora Tokugawa
Ukyo Tachibana
Jubei Yagyu
Hanzo Hattori
Galford
Charlotte
Earthquake
Shiki
Kyoshiro Senryo
Tam Tam

The game also features 3 new characters for the franchise:
qP3IWi5.png

Darli Dagger: A strong-willed shipwright always looking for the next adventure and another drink. Her weapon, the Libertalia, is actually the tool she uses to repair ships. It changes form depending on the task, whether it's hammering in a nail or sawing her opponents in half. Don't mess with her or you'll end up in Davy Jones' locker.

Wu-Ruixiang: Who needs exercise when you can summon a dragon to do all the heavy work for you? However, in Wu-Ruixiang's case, she may need to get a bigger collar because that beast isn't the easiest to control. Do not, I repeat, do not let her frail looks fool you. The moment you let your guard down is the moment you lose. You've been warned.

Yashamaru Kurama: What do you get when you cross a thief with an extreme hatred for the Tokugawa Shogunate and a Karasu Tengu (a crow-like goblin featured in Japanese lore)? You get Samurai Shodown's take on Robin Hood, the mysteriously cool Yashamaru Kurama, of course! Jubei Yagyu and Yoshitora Tokugawa are going to have their hands full with this one!

Crossplay support?
No.

Rollback or delay netcode?
It appears to be delay based.

Native support for PS3 arcade sticks?
No.

How's the input lag?
The demo for the game had around 8ms of lag but the final release will get a day 1 patch to drop that down to around 4ms.

Free season pass? How do I access it?
Users who purchase the game before June 30th will get the first Samurai Shodown Season Pass which includes:
1st DLC character (planned to release in August 2019)
2nd DLC character (planned to release in October 2019)
3rd DLC character (planned to release in December 2019)
4th DLC character (planned to release in February 2020)
-The Nakoruru "Retro 3D" character costume

To get the season pass you just have to grab it for free on your platform's digital marketplace.

Season pass characters?

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X support?
Yes but specifics are TBA aside from the Xbox One X version having a "4K" tag.

TOoviEg.png

KJ4C2g5.png

Metacritic - 82%

Destructoid - 8/10
https://www.destructoid.com/review-samurai-shodown-558493.phtml
Above all, Samurai Shodown proves that SNK still has its fighting spirit. King of Fighters XIV wasn't an accident and it seems like any future games won't be, either. Now we just need to get Capcom back on track.

IGN - 8.2/10
https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/06/24/samurai-shodown-review-2
For as much as Samurai Shodown manages to successfully modernize the classic fighting series and recapture the tension of its high-stakes duels, in other ways it remains woefully in the past. The archaic story mode and long load times are a bummer, but in the areas where it matters the most, Samurai Shodown shines as a fundamentals driven fighter that can appeal to players of all skill levels with its easy to grasp combat, wonderful cast of characters, and deep mechanics.

REc9osQ.png

Roster discussion
Review thread

Last edited:

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I was like "I got quoted in the OT? When'd we have an OT?!", haha. Thanks for putting one up! Would be happy to contribute if you need any help on things.

Oh yeah, and like the Subtitle, haha. VICTOLY!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I did notice the long load times and was surprised. I hope this is something they can address in the future. It's not a deal breaker.

Also I'd like to hear impressions of the online matchmaking system. Does it just drop you in a match or can you actually view the connection quality? How quickly does the connection quality indicator refresh?

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I wish this game kept the series' signature translation style...

106839-samurai-shodown-ii-neo-geo-screenshot-feels-the-power-of-haohmaru.png

1397456620494.png

AWAayPj.jpg

I'm looking forward to the ranking match nonetheless!

Oct 27, 2017
Glad that the game is great and all, but from what I saw in the demo and am seeing in these reviews, it's unfortunate that it's lacking in content: from characters to modes. Doesn't help that it seems like there are some technical issues like long loading times too.

Would love to play this, but don't know if I want to drop $60 on it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Lovely subtitle =3
Looking forward to playing this by next year.

Might main Rui as I like her playstyle although I find her design lame.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I always sucked bad at Samurai Shodown, but I'm very much looking forward to this one. It's great to see the series being back and SNK in full force. Personally I really love the art style. They put a lot of love and craft into it. The lack of singleplayer modes is a bit disappointing (this seems to be the norm with most fighting games these days) but I'm mostly playing for the multiplayer anyway. That being said: I just hope the online won't be entirely dead after EVO. Love the OT subtitle btw. Very appropiate.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that this game is getting so good reviews, I thought that there were some cons that normally reviewers use to trash on other games from the genre, but it seems like the gameplay is really that good to make people give them a pass

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Can't stay up tonight to play unfortunately, but I'm gonna mash the hell out of this tomorrow.

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
I wished for this to happen. I bought KOFXIV to help make this happen. Then Neo_G made it happen.

Now it has happened. Sometimes dreams do come true folks.

Now to Embrace Death.

Apr 19, 2018
I fell out of grace with Samurai Shodown since SS2/Spirits, which I loved to bits. May pick this one if the online proves solid.

Will they bring back Cham Cham? DLC perhaps?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, Xbox One X is 4k60?!?!?!

And of course my Target copy is delayed until next Monday. Guess it's between Gamestop or Walmart since Best Buy doesn't carry Xbox One copies physically

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Man, I hope my order doesn't arrive after the 30th. Would suck if I had this on preorder from the day it was up, only to miss out on the season pass because it arrived after the cutoff date.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Playing it since friday, it's GOOD! Even the online is legit. See y'all on the battlefield !

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played only two matches yesterday and the game felt way more deliberate than I thought, and I knew it was meant to be slow going in. Didn't know what I was doing; this seems to be a game revolving heavily around mindgames. My first SamSho, so real interested in getting into it.

Pixeltuner

Oct 29, 2017
Got my copy (ps4) in the mail this weekend. Game feels great and everything from story mode to winposes is very throwback, which I love. Haven't tried any online yet, so can't comment on that.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
My only experience with Samsho was playing a bit of V and V special, both of which I've liked due to the footsie based combat and weapon centric styles.
That said, I already feel burned by pre-ordering MK11 and not playing it that much due to the stupid grinding and still being very combo-centric despite the marketing touting it as a more footsie based game.
I'd also skip the ps4 release because I'd really love to play this on the Switch but we still don't know when that will come out, what the preorder strategy will be regarding that version or if that version will play great at all.
I'm really conflicted, samurai-era.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the great OT!

My only experience with Samsho was playing a bit of V and V special, both of which I've liked due to the footsie based combat and weapon centric styles.
That said, I already feel burned by pre-ordering MK11 and not playing it that much due to the stupid grinding and still being very combo-centric despite the marketing touting it as a more footsie based game.
I'd also skip the ps4 release because I'd really love to play this on the Switch but we still don't know when that will come out, what the preorder strategy will be regarding that version or if that version will play great at all.
I'm really conflicted, samurai-era.

Well on the gameplay front at least I can tell you that there is no grinding needed and the gameplay really isn't combo focused.

Most of your BnB combos will have you do a single normal into a special move or super. That's it.

One of your most used punishers will be a single regular hard slash.

As to what version you should go for that's really up to your personal preference but you may want to keep in mind that the PS4 version will most likely have the biggest player base, if online play is your thing.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Interested to see how the ghost data stuff works out. Very much a big fan of games that utilize it or have the feature. Will probably just stick to playing Hanzo as per usual.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
From everything I've seen (and my experience with SamSho as a whole) is that the game is all about fundamentals at it's core. If you can't do spacing, footsies, or remembering some very important frame data, then this might not be the game for you.
Thanks for the great OT!

Well on the gameplay front at least I can tell you that there is no grinding needed and the gameplay really isn't combo focused.

Most of your BnB combos will have you do a single normal into a special move or super. That's it.

As to what version you should go for that's really up to your personal preference but you may want to keep in mind that the PS4 version will most likely have the biggest player base, if online play is your thing.
Everything outside of Shiki is true here. The feeling of landing a hard slash counter is pure joy and I know of a lot of fighting game people that aren't going to be used to it.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Thanks for the great OT!

Thanks for the in-depth answer and for making my decision ever so harder :D. I could always buy both versions, ps4 and switch, even tho I'm not that big on MP, but from what I've seen so far, this looks right up my alley as I suck at long combos. Also, the included season pass within the first 5 days seems a bit too good to pass up but I hope this game will have staying power and a smooth online.

Kyoshiro and Ukyo were my jam in V special, but I have the ACA Neogeo version of that, and it doesn't feature any additional modes (training) other than regular arcade mode which I've already beat a few times.

From everything I've seen (and my experience with SamSho as a whole) is that the game is all about fundamentals at it's core. If you can't do spacing, footsies, or remembering some very important frame data, then this might not be the game for you.

Everything outside of Shiki is true here. The feeling of landing a hard slash counter is pure joy and I know of a lot of fighting game people that aren't going to be used to it.

I am a huge soulcalibur fan, and those types of moments (ending on a well placed slash, evading a vertical with a side step or a GI, jumping over a low, sword clashes, etc) are some of my favourite fighting game moments. I know this is a 2d plane fighter, and I'm ok with that, but if this can emulate that feeling, then I'm sold. While I like sprite work and can appreciate the amount of work put into those animations, I always prefer volumetric 3d graphics in a fighter, dunno why, so even if I enjoyed V and V special, something felt off from a visual standpoint.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible OT! Super excited about this, spent a couple hours with the Japanese demo and had a blast. It's going to be fun to try to disarm and have insanely tactical fights. One of the best feelings I've had hitting an opponent in any fighting game!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Glad to see a Samurai Showdown get so much attention but I feel like it's a little too light on content, and the season pass also seems really sparce. Definitely picking it up eventually though.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017

That brings my interest up from nothing to likely to buy. Is this true for most characters? Combos are what keep me away from fighters usually, not interested enough to spend the time to memorize them.

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone wants to know about the Gallery Mode, apparently it's just the same content that you see in the story mode, and nothing more. It's kind of disappointing, especially after the KOFXIV gallery mode had hundreds of art works from the entire series' history, as well as some new, original content within it as well.

I'm still very interested in getting to this game eventually, but the lack of content all around really is annoying.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That brings my interest up from nothing to likely to buy. Is this true for most characters? Combos are what keep me away from fighters usually, not interested enough to spend the time to memorize them.
this is not a series that focuses on combos at all. Connect 3 consecutive hits and that would probably be considered great lol

Everything outside of Shiki is true here.
how is she different?

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
How are you supposed to get the "Bag of Broken Bones" trophy for winning a match unarmed? Is there a way to disarm yourself via a secret combination, or should you let the opponent disarm you first thing in the match?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you supposed to get the "Bag of Broken Bones" trophy for winning a match unarmed? Is there a way to disarm yourself via a secret combination, or should you let the opponent disarm you first thing in the match?

You can toss your sword, but I'm not sure what the command is.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Awww... we missed a chance to make a joke about NEO GEO CD with the load times.

I would had called the OT "Its like playing it on the NEO GEO CD!" or something XD

Can't wait for the game tomorrow tho!

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Hey everybody, captured some footage of online matches.
https://youtu.be/rfLYe2xsUVk

Quick Notes- We live 20 minutes away, hoping it holds up over longer distances.

Also the team Vs mode I show off in the video is incredible. The most fun way to play online even with only 2 people. It really feels like KOF.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am this close to buy it in a few days. I consider SamSho 2 to be one of the best fighters of all time and own the original cart still. How does this stack up? Is it more methodical like that game or more rushdown like IV, and can you parry with your bare hands lol?

Also the free SP is tempting.