• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Samurai Shodown gets the Honest Trailier treatment

The "Starring" section caught me in a Rage Explosion and left me for dead.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There's one in the Japanese PSN (idk if it's in the japanese xbla).

I might have to do that. I do have a JPN PSN account, I used it to play Dragons Dogma Online briefly haha.

If you have the budget for it and are a fan of fighting games it's an easy choice.

I am a fan of fighting games, regardless of how much salt I produce.

I guess despite how many fighters I get, Tekken, Street Fighter, DOA, SoulCalibur, Mortal Kombat, Injustice...

I guess with maybe the exception of SC6 (which hasn't been out long enough for me determine it's long term replay value for me)... I'm still looking for that fighting game that I truly can just play for a long time. Not exactly a 1 to 1 comparison but the thing I love about Rainbow Six Siege is that no many how many FPS come out after it, I will always go back to it.

I'm not trying to knock any of those games. I love DOA6, I suck at Tekken but understand that it's good, SC produces the most salt yet I go back to it anyway...

But yeah, I'm wondering if Samurai Shodown could maybe be that game.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is the best fighter I've played since SF4 vanilla/super.

Basically a 10 year drought for me for that cocaine . Plenty of great games since SF4, but this game is the fighting game players fighting game.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how easy it is for me to just pick up and play a different character compared to any other game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
*salt outburst incoming*
I would love to know what the fuck they were thinking when they were balancing Genjuro. I mean, if you are going to give a character literally every fucking tool you can't make all those tools excellent as well. What the fuck!

Shave off 40% of his health bar and make him a glass canon. Make him like SF4 Vanilla Seth.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
The matchmaking on this is pretty shonky; requested a certain quality of connection and it matched me with a dude in Brazil. I'm in the UK.

I feel like Japanese networking devs should be forced to live outside Japan to understand other countries' Internet connections and how to design a UI that makes sense.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
*salt outburst incoming*
I would love to know what the fuck they were thinking when they were balancing Genjuro. I mean, if you are going to give a character literally every fucking tool you can't make all those tools excellent as well. What the fuck!

Shave off 40% of his health bar and make him a glass canon. Make him like SF4 Vanilla Seth.

Nah, Genjuro is working as usual.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
These things will not happen.
Just like a graphic update patch didn't happen to KoF XIV, eh?
Honestly, I agree that it's less likely, but I don't think it's impossible. MK already showed us that a fully released game can have a full network rework. SNK wants to sell characters and season passes for this game for at least a year or 2 more, if not longer. And any network partnerships they make during THIS game could easily be used towards KoF XV too, so it's not like it'd be a dead-end investment.

It's the biggest elephant still left in the room. We got patches and additions to XIV that many other games would have charged a re-release or a new disk pressing for.
Me: I like using Darli but feels limited, hammer feels gimmicky

Me with Ukyo Vs Darli: Eats a bunch of max range overheads, learn regular hammer hit is overhead, learn that you can't tell if she's charging C Hammer or the regular one at full screen, dash and get hit by half charge

Damn, I need to push more buttons. Characters feel simple but the abusable cheap stuff is different between them all.
I really feel like SamSho helps shows that part of the "simplification" that fighters can go through, is not just based on auto-combos and motion changed. It also comes down to making what a character has actually USEFUL. I love how much complexity goes into the decision to press a single button / situation in this game.
  • If the Blade is reflected, how punishable am I?
  • They wanna punish my heavy blocked stike, so I'll just toss in my Reflect!
  • If I use a dash attack, I risk getting disarmed! But I might not hit if I don't risk it!?
  • The crouching and standing have similar ranges, but one is cancellable.
  • Is My overhead a knockdown, poke, or just my longest range non-repel weapon strikes?
  • Is this a situation where my unarmed overhead might be better to use?
  • The best response might not be a clean hit, but maybe a trade that'll let me juggle!
  • Is it worth bursting this throw combo, and losing my WFT for 2 more rounds?
This seems like the modern release fighter that brings such considerations to the forefront. All fighters have these aspects, but there's so much other junk in the way of reaching them, that you'll rarely be able to reach such a thing with certain opponents, because first you have to wade through so many other obstructions, many of which don't really add much to the experience.

*salt outburst incoming*

They were thinking "This is the 7th game in the series, he's had even BETTER versions of these tools in old games. Aren't you glad this game has a nice variety of defensive options, too?!"

Genjuro is a character that has so much power at his fingertips, that you need to find the holes in his game, and THEN ruin him. In a way, I'd say that most of the strong members of the cast are like that. His tools feel like they're super powerful, for any skill level. So it's much more of a "Figure out the player" game, rather than one of beating the character himself.

I still enjoy fighting him more than Akuma or such in SFV. I don't feel like my options are as limited if I'm not playing Capcom's current season's favorite, so I definitely feel like more of the blame is one me. Which I'm fine with!

Definitely no to that SF style Glass Cannon junk. I mean, it works in SF, where characters have very lopsided specials, and have worse universal options. Here, I don't think he deserves to have Mina-Worthy low HP because he has a command throw, and a quick-recovering DP. Does he LOOK frail to you? Manage his Rage usage, and the tools used to deal with him, if needed. Like I wonder if they'll strengthen dodge, or make it so we can get an attack out of it, KoF style? I could see that mitigating some of the Derpy oppression the "higher tier" characters have, while still fitting in with the hard-reads style of this game.
I really think Genjuro's Rekka's are cheap.

Welcome to the 90s, lol. For a more modern take, It's like Saberwulf's ground dash Cross-up Dash, or the Pass-through Berserker Slash if Wolvie from Marvel 3, but... way older, and not leading to free supers or EX moves. Proximity throws would help deal with him a bit more (since you could toss him as he tries to pass through), but it is a strong skill for how simple it is. I like neutral jumping those who get too predictable with it, though I wish I could get my character to turn and hit his new position on the way back down.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
For the record, #EmbraceDeath ain't my favorite marketing catchphrase either (I put value on the words I say, and I like living, lol), but I definitely think it fits the Samurai Mindset, as presented with this game. But I do shudder at thinking about how easily it could turn wrong, if something were to happen at an event where the game was headlining. I enjoyed the derivative options the official twitter came up with one weekend, where EVERY REPLY was #Embrace_____. #EmbraceBirthdays #EmbraceTacos, and so on.

Twitter freaking out over it trending is kinda nice, since most of the internet is so fast an loose with the things they say. It feels good to see people take pause and wonder about it, for once.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
2-7 thus far online. People are kicking my ass. I think the 2 wins were out of mercy to keep me playing so the other guy could farm more wins.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Nerfs are coming. You can't stand that far above all others on the top and not expect to be hit HARD by nerfs. There will be sweet justice when they drive that character into the ground.

Nah, thats the kind of shit Capcom does, SNK never nerfs characters into oblivion, they may change some of the active frames of this attack, increase the recovery of that, something minor like they did in KOFXIV. There's a much bigger chance they buff the rest of the cast.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Oof, finally played my first online match. Idk if it was the game or the other player but the connection was terrible. I'm on a wired connection with search filter to 4 bars but didn't seem to matter too much. Otherwise, I like the game. I need to figure out how to deal with ninja teleport mixup better. I don't currently understand how i can tell where they're coming from.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, finally played my first online match. Idk if it was the game or the other player but the connection was terrible. I'm on a wired connection with search filter to 4 bars but didn't seem to matter too much. Otherwise, I like the game. I need to figure out how to deal with ninja teleport mixup better. I don't currently understand how i can tell where they're coming from.
I've only had maybe three or four really bad matches out of at least 100+. Might've just been some bad luck for your first.

If it makes you feel any better, the ninja teleports definitely mess me up at times too. I definitely need to be careful about throwing out buttons too soon on em.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I've only had maybe three or four really bad matches out of at least 100+. Might've just been some bad luck for your first.

If it makes you feel any better, the ninja teleports definitely mess me up at times too. I definitely need to be careful about throwing out buttons too soon on em.
Is there anyway to tell based on the motion or should I just be crouch blocking and ready to standblock then punish?

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway to tell based on the motion or should I just be crouch blocking and ready to standblock then punish?
I'm not aware of there being a specific tell, but the majority of Hanzo's teleports make him airborne in some way, so standing block may be safer. I'm not sure how quickly he can act out of any of the non-attack ones, but if he can then anything he throws out while still airborne would definitely count as an overhead and break a low guard.

WeskerXXI

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in a Spain and can't find a ranked match in my area, even with the other parameters set to all, but if I set the zone to all, I get mostly japanese players. Someone here from Spain with a similar experience? The first day I tried I did get spanish people and the connections were good and the matche enjoyable, but I have not been able to play again since.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm in a Spain and can't find a ranked match in my area, even with the other parameters set to all, but if I set the zone to all, I get mostly japanese players. Someone here from Spain with a similar experience? The first day I tried I did get spanish people and the connections were good and the matche enjoyable, but I have not been able to play again since.
Mainly Japanese and Korean, also a British one every now and then

WeskerXXI

Oct 28, 2017
That's a bummer. How is the connection generally with british and french people? Playable? Haven't tried it yet

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a match with a French player who had four bars, I think. It was just playable-ish, but not what I would have liked. Best match so far has still been with a dude in Russia.

edit - the constant theme is 'I wish the online was better'. Its problematic, because it needs players for a greater pool of matches, but even me giving this feedback might dissuade people.

I wonder how it will do here in the UK. For people like me brought up on SF2, I wonder if the brand will be big enough to draw people in. Ironic, as its more accessible than the SFV games for players returning to fighting games. It has a SNES feel, somehow.

Last edited:

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
The search criterion for connection doesnt seem to have any relation to results or at least the signal strength indicator for the other player; asked for level two connection, got a level one from Brazil.

Did have some good games with a US Galford. He won them all, but they were close. Also managed to bait and disarm him with a regular parry. That felt good.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
What's the difference between search and Matchmaking in the ranked match area? Hit search by accident and it just kept telling me that there were no players.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Search you pick the person from a list, matchmaking just auto pairs you with someone.
Thanks.

I feel like I'm getting the hang of the game. Playing Kyoshiro, I feel like most of my gameplan is to keep the opponent at medium slash poke range. I have no idea at all what I should be doing once they're rushing me down. On wake up, I feel useless and i'm getting thrown down to the ground against constantly. Any ideas?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if Kyoshiro's frog is a command grab in any of the other games? Seems so weird being blockable.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Question for Hanzo players: sometimes when I teleport (either with low or high attack), I reappear out of a black disc instead of actually attacking.
Seems random to me -
What's happening?