• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Wouldn't hurt to get a nice little single player content in this style SNK. Maybe use it to unlock some new costumes.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Had a game earlier where the guy beat me without doing anything major. Nothing flashy. Hardly moved. It's annoying, but it's also somehow a testament to the game; it feels like it's appropriate for weapons, somehow.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Had a game earlier where the guy beat me without doing anything major. Nothing flashy. Hardly moved. It's annoying, but it's also somehow a testament to the game; it feels like it's appropriate for weapons, somehow.
Yeah it's nice. It's very hard to do but with Hao I can kill somebody in 3 hits.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How do you fight against Genjuro? I would be attacking him and he would be recoiling back and still go into non stop full attacks.

Edit: I need to stop buying games like this. They never support a wide range of skill levels. All I'm seeing online is a bunch of low ranked players with massive win streaks.

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
How do you fight against Genjuro? I would be attacking him and he would be recoiling back and still go into non stop full attacks.

Edit: I need to stop buying games like this. They never support a wide range of skill levels. All I'm seeing online is a bunch of low ranked players with massive win streaks.
Basically keep distance and avoid his rekka.

I'm pretty bad so my advice may be terrible. Whenever I see him coming forward I usually do jump attacks. The rare super good person will be able to go into AA but I'm usually safe.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

Imo you need to find a community of other starting players and level up with them

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
D__ZwpCXYAAZWYz

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to pick up my sword but nothing happened. Ok...

This is not the game for me... I think fundamentally this is not the fighter for me.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I decided to uninstall and just write this off as a lost $60.

I loved the aesthetic and idea of the game but I really should have tried out that Japanese Demo.

This is the first game in awhile, not just fighting game, where I've been playing for days and never have I come close to actually finding it: "Fun."

Jun 22, 2019
This is the first game in awhile, not just fighting game, where I've been playing for days and never have I come close to actually finding it: "Fun."

Have you looked up resources to actually help you understand the nature of the game and the proper mindset to have? This is one of the few fighters where not pressing any buttons can be the biggest virtue. Understanding, awareness, and patience is very mandatory.

Genjuro is likely high/top tier but nothing he does fails to conform to the standard rules and game mechanics. You claimed in another post to attack his guard and yet he still hits you, but this is a game where almost everything is negative on block and much of it is punishable, so it's likely you very well should be getting hit in those situations. Can't say without seeing gameplay footage.

It's very possible the game is just not for you.

But based on your vague limited posts, to me it sounds like you're trying to play against the grain and being frustrated when it doesn't work.

Jun 22, 2019
Matches devolve in to Yoshitora, Genjuro, Ukyo tier whoring,

Yoshitora isn't regarded as top tier by anyone. He's just a very good beginner destroyer because his jH is overbearing.
Most people think Ukyo is good/decent, but not remotely approaching top tier.

getting hit by dp's add this weird slowdown effect that kills the pacing

I was on the fence about buying this game for the longest time primarily due to that choice of effect. Luckily it ended up not bothering me too much during gameplay, but yeah that really sucks if it does bug you.

weapon stripping is essentially a W

Not based on tourney footage. It's an extremely powerful tool, yes (as it should be), but it's hardly an auto-win, and you do actually have to land it during the limited timer.

and the one character that I'd like to main is busted(Yashamaru).
Everybody thinks Yashamaru is average or better at this point in the game's life. Thinking he sucked was week 1 only (and I thought he would probably suck week 1 as well, and now I am definitely eating those words).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Had this long back and forth set last night. We're both Black Belts. I win a string of three matches in a row and go up 300 points. I hit Swordsman rank.

They win the next match. 1 match.

I lose 300 points.

I've never returned to the main menu so fast in my entire life.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked up resources to actually help you understand the nature of the game and the proper mindset to have? This is one of the few fighters where not pressing any buttons can be the biggest virtue. Understanding, awareness, and patience is very mandatory.

Genjuro is likely high/top tier but nothing he does fails to conform to the standard rules and game mechanics. You claimed in another post to attack his guard and yet he still hits you, but this is a game where almost everything is negative on block and much of it is punishable, so it's likely you very well should be getting hit in those situations. Can't say without seeing gameplay footage.

It's very possible the game is just not for you.

But based on your vague limited posts, to me it sounds like you're trying to play against the grain and being frustrated when it doesn't work.

Compared to other fighters I played I tried to get into the mindset. I played more defensively, tried to bait things out, but nothing seemed to work. I went through the tutorial and practice mode with characters but nothing helped. Going online makes it feel like the only other people who are playing at the ones who never stopped playing the series.

Also I think you mistook my post about Genjuro, he hadn't been blocking. I hit him, and he staggered and before I could even press another button he went into one of his big attacks.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Going online makes it feel like the only other people who are playing at the ones who never stopped playing the series.

Game is heavy fundamentals, meaning people who have been playing FGs for a long time will feel at home even if they haven't touched the series before. It's samsho, isn't like there was a huge population of people who were experts at it.

Also I think you mistook my post about Genjuro, he hadn't been blocking. I hit him, and he staggered and before I could even press another button he went into one of his big attacks.

I don't see what's odd about that. You hit him, hitting him doesn't guarantee your next button will be safe especially if you time it wrong.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's odd about that. You hit him, hitting him doesn't guarantee your next button will be safe especially if you time it wrong.

The problem was that he never went back into his default stance, not even for a second. He went instantly from mid staggering back into a large attack.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Had this long back and forth set last night. We're both Black Belts. I win a string of three matches in a row and go up 300 points. I hit Swordsman rank.

They win the next match. 1 match.

I lose 300 points.

I've never returned to the main menu so fast in my entire life.

That's me every day. 5700 points, climb to 6000 with 5/6 streak, then get too confident, try to style on ennemies bare hand and get put in my place. Back to black belt. Sodium time.

Got my second ragequit today, as usual because of weapon drop and punch round finish.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Is anybody playing on a stick? I have a 8 button and I'm trying to figure out a good setup, any suggestions?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man the amount of times I wanted to just simply block but instead the game makes me do a jump back is infuriating.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody playing on a stick? I have a 8 button and I'm trying to figure out a good setup, any suggestions?

Yep, I like this setup a lot

Anyone else change the button mappings to classic SNK arcade? So X=A, []=B, /\=C, R1=D. Plays muuch better that way IMO. Other than occasionally accidentally throwing out dodges instead of throws.

Everything is easily accessible, including all the two and three button combinations without having to reposition.

Yep, that's a common issue. It's easy to slide the stick to an angle while you're playing, and make the back direction actually point slightly up. I'd suggest getting a table or bench to place your stick on if possible.

Jun 22, 2019

He did an attack immediately as the hitstun ended before the animation for the character returning to neutral played out, seems pretty straight-forward.
You can always attempt to recreate whatever you think happened in training mode.

I went through the tutorial and practice mode with characters but nothing helped.
Well, the tutorial in this game is the most barebones tutorial possible. You'd want to watch YT guides or something beyond just that if you're having trouble "getting the game."

Training mode is all about what you put into it. There's minimal combos in this game so outside getting those down it would be all about setting up and testing certain scenarios and situations out. As already stated, the issue you've posted about with Genjuro (though that character is not related to the issue at all) should have been something you messed around in training mode to understand.

I actually think it's a good idea for beginner players to fight like at least 25 matches with a level 5 CPU (don't expect to win any). It demonstrates what the game is like when the opponent is capable of blocking nearly everything. The level 5 CPU will really hammer home how unsafe many of your attempts to approach really are (outside throws, as CPU sucks at dealing with those).
It won't neccsarily train you to fight against human players, but I think it helps establish the framework of the game in terms of how to stay "safe" and not overextend. Against humans, you want to occasionally take the risk and throw out unsafe moves to catch them off-guard, but you have to understand/internalize that you are taking a risk, and fighting the lvl5 CPU will help with that part of it as they will goddamn crush your soul on any remotely unsafe move.

Also, you seem to be in a phase of blaming the game for anything that doesn't go as you foresaw/intended. That just breeds endless salt. It can be tough, but you gotta reframe your perspective. You'll never have fun if you view everything from the angle of "the game is against me."

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Boy is this game easy. Thats coming from a 45 percent winrate person too lol.

I went back to SFV after more than a year off. Getting ruined. Had a guy double perfect me. I cant even wake up DP.

Idk how I can wake up easy in SamSho but in SFV I cant. The input seem slower or something in SFV.

Help me understand lol!

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SFV wakeups lose to just about everything unless you burn meter for it, and even then safe jumps beat those. SamSho (and SNK games in general) don't have much in the way of oki.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I like this setup a lot
Everything is easily accessible, including all the two and three button combinations without having to reposition.

Thank you! I tried it briefly this morning before work and I like it, it's gonna take a bit of time to get used to it but it's much better than the rather dumb setup I was trying originally.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
After 30 ranked matches I finally got 4 wins, though technically it's 3, since one match lagged out and I got kicked from the match. It still gave me a win, I'll take it, but yeah.

I'm still really struggling to learn the mechanics and get used to everything. It's a completely different beast than MK11 that's for sure.

The casual setup is pretty trash though, I can't practice much there so I basically have to get all my online practice in ranked.