• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Director Kuroki interview at Evo re balance:

During Evo 2019, I sat down with Samurai Shodown director Nobuyuki Kuroki to discuss his work on the new game. Since the game's release in June, players have noticed some character balance issues in Samurai Shodown. In our interview, Kuroki admitted he's not a fan of making the power diversity in the game's cast "too flat."

When asked about this discrepancy, Kuroki told me that while the team is likely to release a balance patch sometime in the near future, it might not make things as balanced as some players may hope.

"I feel that if you make everything too flat in a game like Samurai Shodown, it's going to be boring," Kuroki explained via interpreter. "There is a lot of character personality, even among how weak or strong they are. There's going to be some balancing, but we're never going to make it completely flat."

Kuroki noted the differences between Samurai Shodown play in Japan and the Western world. He sees players in Japan as more methodical, both in how they research and play the game, while Western players are more "aggressive" in his eyes. "But that works in this game," Kuroki added. "The two different styles are kind of battling each other."

"I really just want more and more people to jump into the game, play it, bring as many playstyles as possible, and keep growing the community," Kuroki concluded.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I hate low-poly models. Wish I could have a setting to disable them. The NEW models are low poly enough as it is.

I want better fidelity SNK games. The mechanics are too good to be trapped in last-gen graphics. (SF4 competes with SamSho).

Fingers cross KOF XV looks better than KOF14...

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but the store listing was broken. It was listed as a game bundle in the game category of the store. It was later delisted and relisted for 20 dollars in the add on category.

If you check the new store listing you can see that Rimururu is included but if you check the old store listing there's only the retro skin.

A few people complained about it on Twitter weeks ago but I haven't seen any response from SNK.

It seems It's still broken.

I also can't download the dlc or the season pass. The store always says that I need to pay 20 dollars.

Old (free) store listing. It even says "you own this game"
New store listing:

I checked today and the DLC is there for me to download and now says I own the Season Pass. I don't know if me contacting Xbox Support fixed it or if SNK did

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back into this game; I haven't played in weeks, and didn't even know Rimururu had been released. From what I hear, the character I originally wanted to main, Wu, is actually just garbage, and Rimururu is her but better.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I see what you did there. C.R.E.A.M.

tumblr_lsltd2V0L11r3axa1o1_400.gif

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A friend brought me the AES Evo Exclusive game

Is gorgeous, the shockbox has better quality than the one used in LRG

Also the artbook is very cool

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
So the Xbox problems are solved for some players but people are still having problems to download the season pass content.

The people at SNK are truly incompetent.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Man, I've been playing only a few matches a day but it seems like they've all been really good this week connection wise. I've had 1 round that lagged for a couple seconds barely. I don't know if the search terms are working better, I'm lucky or they've made htings a little better.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been playing only a few matches a day but it seems like they've all been really good this week connection wise. I've had 1 round that lagged for a couple seconds barely. I don't know if the search terms are working better, I'm lucky or they've made htings a little better.

It's probably the latest netcode patch, impressions have been pretty positive since that hit.

Further improvements are planned apparently to hit together with the upcoming balance patch.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
Rimururu feels mid tier at best, but my early assessment is she's low tier.
A lot of the nasty set-ups she has can be circumvented easily if the opponent is aware of them, and her oki is surprisingly lackluster outside the corner.

Stubby normals in this game are also extremely limiting, and even Rimu's ice pokes are on the stubby side. Wish they made those hitboxes a little bit longer.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Rimururu feels mid tier at best, but my early assessment is she's low tier.
A lot of the nasty set-ups she has can be circumvented easily if the opponent is aware of them, and her oki is surprisingly lackluster outside the corner.

Stubby normals in this game are also extremely limiting, and even Rimu's ice pokes are on the stubby side. Wish they made those hitboxes a little bit longer.
Ye her corner game is the only strong part, but even then other characters can be more oppressive. Nothing particular evasive either like nakoruru

Still gonna main because she's sick

Undead Bokun

Oct 25, 2017
I checked today and the DLC is there for me to download and now says I own the Season Pass. I don't know if me contacting Xbox Support fixed it or if SNK did

Who did you contact exactly? It still is not working for me. According to someone on gamefaqs Microsoft wouldn't even deal with them. One person had luck with Athlon but I can't even find a contact email.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
wow reduced recovery out of dodging and adding counter hit frames in the recovery of parrying
ukyo's buffs aren't enough imo :/

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
darli's hammer might actually be fast enough to deflect fireballs now.

lots of recovery buffs, but far medium slash being cancellable is a great quality of life change.

no invul on the hard super punch makes it even more YOLO now :(

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I can freaking AA with Wu. All of the buffs they gave her are awesome.

I also played Shiki after being frustrated at how bad Wu was (funny, that, since Wu was on her level). So with that vast number of buffs, she feels way better too.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Update on current state of online? All this hype around the patch is making me want to finally pick it up.

Pizzarella

Jun 1, 2019
Update on current state of online? All this hype around the patch is making me want to finally pick it up.
After the Netcode patch it's pretty solid. Not GGPO levels of good but a lot better than Capcom/Arksys netcode.
The bar connections seem to not be indicative of the actual connection quality, but other than that it's good.

Jun 22, 2019
New patch really shaking things up holy crap!

Didn't expect this many changes!

As someone who predominantly played Darli, I'm blown away by how much like a beast she now feels.

Also Kyoshiro has legit potential to win a tournament now.

Rimu is now worst in game. No question.

Last edited:

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Genjuro nerfed but still looks like he functions, which is nice. RIP Haoh's YEAH though, and yoshi looks like he got hit hard from my admittedly limited knowledge?

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
There's a decent amount of people playing, and most of my matches have solid connections. I'm in Los Angeles, tho.

The netcode is delay, so curb your expectations.
I've only had about 1 laggy match in 25 or so and that was only a couple seconds where the match felt bad. I live in Iowa....so there are three okay sized cities around and then four hours in most directions to any big city. Much better than it was for me at least.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jubei is the perfect character for older, casual dudes. His moveset is easy, and even his patch notes are easy.

It's a shame his WFT got a little extra startup, because I spam the shit out of that when I have it, but I'm not too worried about it.

Oct 26, 2017
Those Kyoshiro changes, mmmmBOY we are gonna feast tonight!

Great patch all around--it's the kind of thing you'd expect months down the line. Good on SNK to shake things up so early!

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Jubei is the perfect character for older, casual dudes. His moveset is easy, and even his patch notes are easy.

It's a shame his WFT got a little extra startup, because I spam the shit out of that when I have it, but I'm not too worried about it.

I like the idea of him, but as a man in your category I feel like I cant make use of his counters and so he's a kind of half-character the way I'd play him.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of him, but as a man in your category I feel like I cant make use of his counters and so he's a kind of half-character the way I'd play him.

Yeah, I haven't figured out how to effectively use the counter specials, either. The only one I can get somewhat reliably is the jump-in counter, and that's only against opponents who jump-in too much. But he has the best pokes in the game, in my opinion, which I feel like makes up for the limited use of a good portion of his specials. And spamming his WFT is hilarious (hopefully still, after this patch).

Oct 26, 2017
Kyoshiro feels so much better now. His far medium buttons are about as fast as any other character's now, particularly his crouching M--it's like night and day! His L pole kick special feels like it's safe, or at the very least, just jab punishable. The Frog also deals big damage now--200 damage raw! 240 with rage! Our resident kabukiman just got waaaay better.

Earthquake's changes are also great. He moves so much faster now--holy shit. His walking animations look like they were put on fast forward, and his EX Buzzsaw comes out damn near instantly--it now combos from his standing light at close range(but still doesn't at max range).

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Are "Surprise attacks" in the patch notes supposed to be the universal overheads?

Also wish they would put the commands next to moves, I have no fucking clue what these moves are lmao

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT Darli gets a far standing C off a forward throw now. That's a free 30 percent off top. This along with 2B connecting without a microwalk and 5B being cancellable on the first hit now? Y'all about to embrace this death.

Jun 22, 2019
HOLY SHIT Darli gets a far standing C off a forward throw now. That's a free 30 percent off top. This along with 2B connecting without a microwalk and 5B being cancellable on the first hit now? Y'all about to embrace this death.
You can also do jC into far 5C now.

Close 5M and the closest possible far 5M combo into WFT now as well.

Apparently I've heard she can combo into 236C as well? Didn't test that myself yet.