• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 22, 2019
Wait for real?? What's the spacing on that? It can't just be off any jump C.

Yeah, you need proper spacing but it's easy to recognize with some practice. If you do it wrong you get close 5C instead and that doesn't combo.

Not at all tough to differentiate when to do jC 5C vs jC 2/5M 236X. I was able to do so in my online matches several hours ago, and this is day 1 of the patch (and I'm not particularly good either).

I don't have the game booted to describe it properly (it's like not too close to the opponent but not too far?), but it's really easy to figure out. Shouldn't take more than a few tries.

Has to be a deep jump-in but it works.

I mean... pretty much every jump-in combo with any character needs the aerial to hit deep in SamSho.
In this case, it's more so that you need the proper amount of gap between you and the opponent. Too close and you should just do 2 or 5M.

Last edited:

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... pretty much every jump-in combo with any character needs the aerial to hit deep in SamSho.
In this case, it's more so that you need the proper amount of gap between you and the opponent. Too close and you should just do 2 or 5M.

Well, yeah, it just feels like you have to be even later with hers than usual. Also got n.5C to combo but you miss like half the hits from it, so I assume it's pointless versus 5M? Sorry, have only really played around with her after the patch hit.

Jun 22, 2019
Well, yeah, it just feels like you have to be even later with hers than usual. Also got n.5C to combo but you miss like half the hits from it, so I assume it's pointless versus 5M? Sorry, have only really played around with her after the patch hit.

I didn't get the impression that you need to be deeper than usual, but apparently I also failed to combo jC into close C the few times I tried it in training mode, so... I dunno, lol.

Getting jC into the shredding 5C online has definitely not been an issue for me though, hence why I'm assuming it's not any deeper than what you normally wanna aim for.

As for the damage with cC, I'd have to test it to be sure (as I said I failed to combo it and just assumed it doesn't connect). Does sound like the old combo route would be better.

I guess it's worth pointing out this game does have some character-specific stuff at times primarily with throws, and I haven't tested that sort of stuff out whatsoever either.

Last edited:

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play some matches online and Shiki is fun to play now that you can attack without getting punished on hit, Wu is faster and can do more stuff, Yasha still good and I want to play Nakoruru again and try Rimururu online later.
Do the lobbies now just work like other fighting games and it's mostly an automatic process?
Yeah, you can also rematch if your room only has 2 people.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to hear about the Shiki changes. Will definitely give her a try again after I got frustrated and gave up on her shortly before EVO.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
After a 2 and a half hour Text chat with Microsoft Support (WEWWW!), I got them to place the proper season pass on my account (they had to verify it wouldn't clash with the OLD season pass, which still is marked with the old character release dates and such.) So in a way, it seems like we on Xbox who purchased physical copies, are suffering because SNK's plans to speed up release and offer a new free character helped cause duplicate but different information on XBL.

It was also stated they'd elevate the issue, because it looked like the problem was wide-spread, and would need to be corrected on their back end. So even if you don't go through hours of correction, the SP should eventually be updated. it seemed to happen fast for Digital Copy owners, but physical is a whole new can of worms.

Along with all those glorious new patch notes, it feels good to play the game proper again. I kept thinking "I'll play when the season pass clears up, it has to be today!" I didn't hate the old walk speeds, but now that EVERYONE is basically faster, it feels good for Wu to be able to shuffle easier. Her new Cancellable / KaraKancellable -> -> B feels like it helps her play a lot more fluidly. Her counter works much faster now, her recoveries are more in line with what one expects... it all in all just feels NICE now.

Darli's new far cancel'd B is also crazy fun. And Jumping C into Far C does STUPID CRAZY DAMAGE. She really is feeling like a proper, quick POWER character more and more.

Haven't gotten a chance to try New Shiki yet, but I'm happy to hear she's winning stuff already, lol.

Really, since the KoF XIII era, SNK patches have been pretty great to me. Something like an MK makes me question why I play the game (I can't find the rhyme or reason behind changes), SF often leaves me feeling like they have NO IDEA what the players of many characters want (though they have hit it out of the park a few times), but SNK feels like they MOSTLY focus on buffing the strugglers, and that the Top-Tiers are adjusted to make sure everyone is having a similar amount of fun. And they do it in such complex, multiple-points-per-character ways.

Rimu is just the Iceling on the cake, though. She might be quick, and with some Stubby pokes, but she has a lot of fun stuff that, similar to Wu, makes it feel as if you've always got SOMETHING to do, even when calm. Her Reverse DP Mirror DOES feel like it needs to combo into itself, on at least 1 strength of the move, however.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I had issues on PS4 with the "free" season pass. It just kept saying "waiting to install" but never really starting. Went to the page and it said content not found or something like that.

I need to check again tonight.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I see this game is cheap at GameFly for a physical Xbox copy - worth picking up? Will I be able to find matches if I play online?

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and bought on PS4, thanks.
giphy.gif

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on FB posted by Power Geyser

"OUR VISIT TO SNK!

Fio Lina, a member of our team, visited SNK during his trip to Japan! In addition to getting to know the company's headquarters and going through Esaka's famous background from KOF '98, she also talked to Krispy Kaiser, SNK's community manager! Here's a summary:

- He is not sure if SNK owns the rights to series like RotD and Power Instinct, but will check.

- About "the one replaced by Nameless", you can't talk about him at SNK at all, even if anyone wishes, for legal reasons. He claims it is safe to say that from now on, in any SNK game, he will never return.

- He don't know if KOF for Girls will be released in the West, but it looks like it won't come out of Japan. It's also not sure if any other gender-based content like this will be released. He believes this title is something like a first step for female audience-oriented games.

- He can't talk anything about KOF XV. Even if he wanted to, he don't know or see anything about the game, but maybe something will be announced in the next EVO, in this case EVO Japan. Apparently, this year we will have none or almost none information. All that can be said is that the game is being completely redone (no KOF XIV will be reused).

- Iori's sister quoted in the manga "The King of Fantasy" and the differences in the manga "A New Beginning" are not canonical. All authors of licensed works have this right to creative freedom, but if it is not in the game or not from SNK, it is not official. The company is interested in continuing to license its brands for this type of product and more, but the current focus is console games.

- Samurai Shodown season 2 will have many surprises.

- Talking about Geese, he says that an older version of Geese would be interesting, but would like to see his newer version (from AoF 2) in some new game."

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy 25th anniversary to KOF, forever the king :p

Man it's crazy the difference 5 years makes.

On the series' 20th anniversary SNK's fate was still uncertain and there wasn't any celebration or new games to talk about. As far as we knew the KOF dev team was still disbanded.

Now they are firing on all cylinders and have the brightest looking future since going bankrupt.

Happy b-day to KOF! I have so damn many memories with this amazing series.

- About "the one replaced by Nameless", you can't talk about him at SNK at all, even if anyone wishes, for legal reasons. He claims it is safe to say that from now on, in any SNK game, he will never return.

This is very sad to hear, I still had some hope for K9999 but I guess this puts an end to all that.

It's understandable but still sad, he was such a badass.

K', Kula and Angel would have ended up in a more interesting direction/dynamic if he was still around imo.

- He can't talk anything about KOF XV. Even if he wanted to, he don't know or see anything about the game, but maybe something will be announced in the next EVO, in this case EVO Japan. Apparently, this year we will have none or almost none information. All that can be said is that the game is being completely redone (no KOF XIV will be reused).

Very interesting.

Guess this increases the chances of the new Metal Slug being the one revealed this year instead of KOFXV?

Both KOFXIV and SamSho were revealed at TGS so I guess all eyes on that.

- Samurai Shodown season 2 will have many surprises.

If it's "many surprises" then that likely means guest characters, right?

Be it from SNK (Last Blade pls) or another series (Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear etc.).

- Talking about Geese, he says that an older version of Geese would be interesting, but would like to see his newer version (from AoF 2) in some new game."

I don't see a younger Geese appearing in KOF and if there is a new MOTW/FF then Geese will already be dead.

Hmmm... Oda has talked about wanting to reboot AOF into an action game instead of a fighter. Maybe a hint at that?

(that's considering they add him as a cannon part of the roster instead of just DLC etc. where story doesn't matter)

Well, that's...not smart. I get redoing the character models and graphics, but the underlying gameplay systems and framework, and all of those move animations are being thrown out? I don't think so.

On the other hand it does give some weight to what an Era member said about XV having a high budget.

If there is one game that they should try to blow people away with it's KOFXV.

All new animation would also future proof it for next gen/KOFXVI.

Last edited:

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Orochinagi posted this yesterday at 7:37 AM,

*UPDATE 2*
SNK officially cannot confirm anything about KOFXV right now, it's too early! We'll see later!

*UPDATE 1* The tweet was deleted. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM maybe it's wrong info

*Original Post* According to Team Power Geyser, who visted SNK, KOFXV is being completely redone, they are not using any of KOFXIV assets. Is this a good idea?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Nerfs are coming. You can't stand that far above all others on the top and not expect to be hit HARD by nerfs. There will be sweet justice when they drive that character into the ground.

giphy.gif

I'm loving this balance patch. Genjuro players are actually going to have to play the game, now.

My only problem with it is actually my main. My first impression is that Charlotte is feeling a little too good. I expected her to primarily get minor nerfs, instead they buffed some of her stuff.

Still, the elation of seeing Genjuro become an honest character is just sublime.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting him on the last week of the month so I'm happy with this.

Someone recorded the last part of his SSM at TGS:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is he a demon in the end? I thought it was all misdirection and the actual demon was Zankurô, and it had nothing to do with him?

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Is it weird one of my best memories of Shizumaru is using his card in Cap Vs SNK: Card Fighters Clash? *shrug*

It's pretty cool to see our amazingly young boy make the cast list. In a way, he looks more innocent than Rimururu… until he paints the floor red with blood! That might be a bit of an insane blood splatter up there, but it's all definitely worth it for the subtle Raidrops dropping upon the umbrella, the calming sound of the liquid falling, the absolute horror in his eyes, as he witnesses what he's done. I've really enjoyed a lot of the simple cinematic direction that gets made into something special since KoF XIV. King of similar to how the Yakuza series heat actions are so well directed, that they feel better to look at then some other games full cinematic pieces.

Anywho, that quick float and umbrella pogo look fun too. The way he hides so well behind his umbrella while doing his "Blanka Ball" like attacks feels like something that shouldn't make sense in 3D gameplay, but it such a callback to his 2D art origins, and is pulled off quite well here.

It'll be pretty interesting to see if they still allow his pre-match button charging. Or even if carrying the charge between rounds is a thing. I look forward to the unique things he'll be able to pull off.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Double Post! Anyway, Dengeki did a Hour and 21 min long stream of Shizumaru:

First 50 minutes were basically breaking him down and trying him out in training, seeing what combos, etc. Assume the rest is made up of matches and maybe a Q&A or something.

He looks pretty strong here! But I think the ShizuMAINus can tell us more than I can on this particular subject, ha.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I'm interested in SamSho and I want to pick this up, but with the Switch version coming I'm wondering if I should hold off on it.

- Is there any hope that the Switch version will have good online?

- Is the season pass similarly free for Switch owners? I downloaded it on PS4.

- How is this game for a fighting noob?

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, I'm interested in SamSho and I want to pick this up, but with the Switch version coming I'm wondering if I should hold off on it.

- Is there any hope that the Switch version will have good online?

- Is the season pass similarly free for Switch owners? I downloaded it on PS4.

- How is this game for a fighting noob?

For the first two questions, the answer is unknown. We'll probably know more about the season pass closer to release. The online however, I wouldn't hold your breath. It's decent and even pretty good on PS4, but I don't know if the Switch will be any better.

Regarding your third question, this SamSho is a great game for fighting game noobs. There's no complicated combos or complicated special move motions. The game is just pure footsies, with buttons that deal a boatload of damage. There are more intricate nuances to the gameplay as you get further into the mechanics, but I think it's very easy to pick up and play.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the first two questions, the answer is unknown. We'll probably know more about the season pass closer to release. The online however, I wouldn't hold your breath. It's decent and even pretty good on PS4, but I don't know if the Switch will be any better.

Regarding your third question, this SamSho is a great game for fighting game noobs. There's no complicated combos or complicated special move motions. The game is just pure footsies, with buttons that deal a boatload of damage. There are more intricate nuances to the gameplay as you get further into the mechanics, but I think it's very easy to pick up and play.

I see.

Last time I tried to play a game online on my PS4 it was SFV and every time I had a second round with someone it would be unplayable DBZ was alright though. So I don't know if I want to sub to PS+ for just one game, but I'll keep all that in mind.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Shizumaru is Out on XB1 btw. Played Vs Bro. Charge can be held between rounds, don't get super charge from loading screen. Has crossup. Combos into everything, DP heavy has very generous invinc. If ground buzzsaw hits a jumper, they take insane single hit damage. Feels good!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played some SamSho V Special on my Switch and it was kind of fun as I got into it but a lot less fun when my specials didn't come out.

I either need to get the new one on PS4 or shell out for a Pro Controller because the joycon D-Pad is terribuh.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Am I the only one getting a 403 Forbidden error when trying to access this?

It works when I open an incognito window. Weird, they must have blacklisted a range that my IP address is in.
Yup, that's pretty odd! Works fine here still (East Coast US).
Still no concrete date on samsho on steam?
Oh come on, don't be that guy. The Switch release (with a new cover art by Ogura) is the one currenly on the docket. Steam will have it's news and info when they're ready, or at least near it.

With all the faults that can come from bad, rushed or cheaply outsourced porting, just appreciate they're taking time to hopefully get it RIGHT, rather than rushing it out while things are hot, to make a quick buck.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Really? This is all the discussion we get after Basara's gameplay demo today?

They really went all in with him. Makes me feel like he has some of the most moves in this current iteration. The Ninjas lost a lot of their tele and shadow tech compared to the oldest games... Basara is just ridiculous.

The Dengeki stream went into a lot of useful theorycraft. They messed with Okizeme setups, found ways to combo into Supers, tested invincibility of moves, anti-air potential, instant-air backhop specials, combos from air setups, and Yoga Sniper-like Instant overhead options. They also found you can cancel the crazy wind-up on his overhead into his Command Throw, or other specials, which some in chat at the time seemed to think looked so wild, that it was a bug.

His damage looks pretty nice, his strange normals have made a great transition to 3D as well. Even though he's a very "2D" design (with lots of sprite color shifting, weird use of frame blinking to slip in and out of reality, murky liquid that he teleports through, and a weapon that often times breaks the laws of physics), he's been ported over ridiculously well, IMHO.