• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? This is all the discussion we get after Basara's gameplay demo today?

They really went all in with him. Makes me feel like he has some of the most moves in this current iteration. The Ninjas lost a lot of their tele and shadow tech compared to the oldest games... Basara is just ridiculous.

The Dengeki stream went into a lot of useful theorycraft. They messed with Okizeme setups, found ways to combo into Supers, tested invincibility of moves, anti-air potential, instant-air backhop specials, combos from air setups, and Yoga Sniper-like Instant overhead options. They also found you can cancel the crazy wind-up on his overhead into his Command Throw, or other specials, which some in chat at the time seemed to think looked so wild, that it was a bug.

His damage looks pretty nice, his strange normals have made a great transition to 3D as well. Even though he's a very "2D" design (with lots of sprite color shifting, weird use of frame blinking to slip in and out of reality, murky liquid that he teleports through, and a weapon that often times breaks the laws of physics), he's been ported over ridiculously well, IMHO.

That looks so nice... Basara has always been a character I've wanted to like, but never really managed to do anything with.
Hopefully this changes in this game (if/when it comes on PC).

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
That looks so nice... Basara has always been a character I've wanted to like, but never really managed to do anything with.
Hopefully this changes in this game (if/when it comes on PC).

I agree, actually! I remember getting this odd fixation on him early in 3, but I got less and less good at actually figuring out what he was actually suppose to be, back then. Now, I'd be much more comfortable at figuring out the DOs and DON'Ts, so he might be quite fun here. Having so many stupid faux-a-ports to bait people into button presses sounds incredibly fun, if they're reasonable enough to do (I definitely didn't like the old button combos on a pad).

I really don't have too much personal investment in any of this seasons DLC. The base game characters appeal to me more as a whole, though I like something with each of the bonus ones. It's kind of nice, becuase I feel like anyone could become a deep favorite, with the proper gameplay gimmicks.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
He doesn't neither does Wan-Fu (at least according to the website). Kazuki does though. You can very briefly see it in the EVO trailer.
That's a pity, stages have been mistreated lately in most fighting games. I know characters are the main thing of course, but it's nice to have variety. And i think samsho is a bit lacking, and has a lot of great old stages, caffeine nicotine one is gorgeous for example, basara stage or original earthquake's.
But not complaining, i am happy we have a new samurai, i never thought i would see a new game again.
And basara seems a bit broken, so maybe we will get a patch sooner than later

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
For future reference, here's the Character Section of the JP website. Each character page has a stage listed with the character, if they have one. So, for example:
  • Shizumaru - Nikko
  • Kazuki - Sumidagawa
  • Rimururu - Kamuikotan (Winter)
So a total of 3 new, free stages, for 5 Semi-Free (Via the season pass for many players) characters.
Thanks again. Good to have some, let's see if kazuki's one is good. Ideal for me is a stage for each character though

Btw why do people hide their win-loss ratio ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't have too much personal investment in any of this seasons DLC. The base game characters appeal to me more as a whole, though I like something with each of the bonus ones. It's kind of nice, becuase I feel like anyone could become a deep favorite, with the proper gameplay gimmicks.
I'm the opposite: I like almost all the characters of the series even if I don't play them, so they can add pretty much anyone and I'll be happy (especially since by the time the PC version will be out, we'll probably be at season 2).
Even my opposition to Mina and Iroha is more because how destructive they were to the balance of their respective games; if they're properly balanced (or nerfed adequately), they'll be fine. I still don't think they belong to the series, but once you accept Karakuri Hanma and Ochamaro in the canon, the definition of "belonging to the series" becomes too wide anyway.
The only bad picks they could make would be the few offensively boring characters, like Andrew or half of the Sen cast.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks again. Good to have some, let's see if kazuki's one is good. Ideal for me is a stage for each character though

Btw why do people hide their win-loss ratio ?
NP. Our brief look at Kazuki's makes it look like it's the SamSho version of that one Chinese Market stage from KoF XIV. So much more lively than many of the others. Closer to Galford and Darli's boat area. I like Samsho's stages so far, in that they represent very different locations. Even Summer VS Winter Kamuikotan. Having stages just to check off a list results in areas that don't really need to be there. Having area's with unique lighting, populations, moods, and color or even cultural themes, is pretty excellent.

Personally, I'd rather see more single stages that transform between rounds again. Going through different weather, times of day, or having events (such as fireworks displays on certain rounds, or having people betting on the fight break out in their own brawl, if the wrong player wins) would mean a lot more to me.

And why do people hide rations? Same reason they rage quit. Losing makes them mad, having to face their losses makes them mad, and they think it's something to be embarrassed of ashamed of.

I'm the opposite: I like almost all the characters of the series even if I don't play them, so they can add pretty much anyone and I'll be happy (especially since by the time the PC version will be out, we'll probably be at season 2).
Even my opposition to Mina and Iroha is more because how destructive they were to the balance of their respective games; if they're properly balanced (or nerfed adequately), they'll be fine. I still don't think they belong to the series, but once you accept Karakuri Hanma and Ochamaro in the canon, the definition of "belonging to the series" becomes too wide anyway.
The only bad picks they could make would be the few offensively boring characters, like Andrew or half of the Sen cast.

I like the odd people out in many fighters. So I often have to wait for DLC to get the Whips, or a character like Menat. SamSho, even with it's "Small" cast did a pretty nice job at making me feel like I got the SamSho I wanted. Wu fits my Caffeine Nicotine style play /concept nicely, Darli is great too, Hanzo and Jubei are strong, varied classics, etc. Even the lack of main man NEINHALT SIEGER was soften for me, by giving Darli a very useful and fun to land Command Grab.

I really like Mina, but I never got to play her VS online gamers. So I don't have an intense hate for her via being lamed out, or anything of that sort. She sits alongside character like Doronjo and Saki from Tatsu VS Capcom, where she feels like a unique idea that I totally wish to see return and fleshed out. This is a similar reason as to why I enjoyed messing around with Sankuro in SSV (who'se very similar to Doronjo's playstyle in TvC.)

As crazy popular and romanticized as Archery was for feudal Japan's warfare and even cinematic history, I love that they found some way to squeeze something a little unique in there for it via Mina. The fact she's not just, say, the rich princess from high society that wants to protect her family, or something of that sort, helps a lot, too. I like a lot of the cloth animation in some of her specials, too. I'd probably find her design much more jarring for SS if ChamCham, Rimururu, and various other squeaky cute characters didn't exist beforehand. Iroha I just found lazy looking from the get-go, and I don't think I've ever gotten past that, honestly. I'd give her and Andrew a chance, if they ever were to reappear...

Some games I just wanna play again because the DLC is interesting, basically. But with SamSho the DLC is initially interesting BECAUSE it's tied to this game, for me. They made a solid core game, and everything new is just icing on the cake.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Basara and the Update are out and stuffs.

I'd like to play some matches on XBL, but no one seems to be answering the call :(

Anywho, he's pretty fun! I wish he had more cancellable normals, but I guess lacking those, is why he gets a crazy assortment of mix-up tools. Totally different feeling, after Shizumaru has a multi-hit crouching Heavy Slash that can be cancelled at different points...

I find most of his fake movement easy-ish on a controller. But of COURSE the fake forward dash has to be done with pushing both central buttons simultaneously (Kick and Medium slash, A and Y, etc). I'd be pretty crazy if her could cancel his crouching medium at range, on any hit, into fake movements.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Is Basara part of the season pass, right?

It's asking me to pay for it. But I have the season pass, weird....

I'm on PS4.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, season pass content is weird sometimes. Justin Wong was complaining that the DLC wasn't showing up for him on PS4, while XB1 had Basara align to the Season pass before he was buyable alone. It's always a gamble on "Who gets it first, and HOW" with these things.

Beyond that, it seems like the US hasn't gotten the Costume DLC from P&D? Hope it doesn't stay JP exclusive. Would be best to have everything, y'know?

Jun 22, 2019
I thought Basara dittos would be super frustrating, but I actually have a blast playing them.

In general, I just feel this game is so fun to play.

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Sogetsu appears in the app for the arcade version. Possibly for season 2 or maybe another bonus like Shizumaru.

Oct 26, 2017
Sogetsu is a nice surprise! I'm guessing he'll be added in Season 2, maybe a early bonus for the arcade version, sort of as a "beta test", if you will.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So was this on sale for Xbox for like... a day? Wario tweeted it being $29.99 and then it went away. Deluxe version is on sale though.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So was this on sale for Xbox for like... a day? Wario tweeted it being $29.99 and then it went away. Deluxe version is on sale though.

Apparently. Wonder if it went on sale too early? The PS4 version didn't go on sale.

Holding out for a $30 sale on PS4 before picking it up. I was about to buy it on Xbox, but figured the userbase would be low.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
So the first two NSW trailers mentioned a JP release date of 12.12 but the latest Kazuki trailer only mentions NSW without the Japan mention. Can we expect the EU/US version this year? I've been holding off on buying the ps4 version just because this was supposed to be a thing.

Jun 22, 2019
so any relevant information or tech on Kazuki?

He feels really straight-forward. Has relatively a lot of combos due to being able to cancel runM, 2M, and even from the plus frames of his boosted fireballs on hit.

Decent average-length normals, pretty strong fireball game, gradually build your fire for an eventual big payoff.

His exploding pants are invul on frame 9 apparently, so it's not a reversal whatsoever. Not sure when using it as an anti-air is better over 2H yet. You can sometimes do it on roll oki and it kinda works, but it's one of his less "obvious" moves when it comes to implementing it. Personally I feel the best thing about it is it looks like his fireball charge, so I've often been able to sneak those in because my opponent expected the exploding pants and didn't approach.

K fireball (level 2) allows you to combo into WFT, or at short distances you can even combo into run M (which can then combo into WFT).
I saw a corner combo where you jH cM M-fireball into 2M (I assume it's a link? Dunno how hard) K-fireball into runM WFT.
It's a ToD. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Now that we're into December, our last season 1 character is imminent: Wan-Fu.

I'm really interested to see how Wan-Fu is going to play like, because he's one of the game's more interesting characters in terms of playstyle. One of his special moves actively disarms himself, so I wonder if that aspect of his playstyle will still be there, or if maybe SNK will give him a bunch of new moves while disarmed?

Of all the characters in the Season 1 DLC, I think Wan-Fu is the most intriguing since we haven't seen him since SS2*, arguably.

*I know he appeared in SS6, I don't count that game.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version is out in Japan now- can confirm it runs in full English. Seems to be a great port, unlike SNK Heroines was.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Wanted to share my experience.

I played the arcade version in Japan a couple weeks ago. I played a few online matches. They were pretty laggy, but it was a small sample size. I didn't play it a bunch tbh though, spent most time on T7 and SFV.

I didn't see alot of people playing. Saw a few times people going through story mode. And I remember a salary man TamTam vividly for some reason, lol. It was at a corner machine at a taito game station.

Switch port gameplay and a look at Samurai Shodown! 2

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's letting me upload directly now. Just checking out super moves and the like- runs great! You also get the NeoGeo Pocket Color Samurai Shodown! 2 as a bonus, complete with selectable system skins, lol.

ELhdgAYUEAACszq

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grand finals between Infiltration and Xiaohai in China.

Infiltration has ditched Genjuro, Xiaohai is still rocking Haohmaru.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played some more of SS Switch last night and experienced some framerate drops here and there- it didn't affect the game play, but it is noticeable when it happens. Played online once and the other player was likely in Japan, so it wasn't the greatest connection quality. Even if online ends up not being the best in this version, I'm satisfied with this port since I plan to primarily play it as a handheld game and ghost battle/survival is fun.

I'm so jealous right now. When's the PC version SNK!!!

Still supposed to be coming- they just haven't said much lately.