• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 22, 2019
Only screwed around with Wan-Fu for a few minutes but I'm really not feeling him so far.

He seems a bit too basic (maybe that wouldn't feel like a problem to me if Kazuki hadn't released previously), with just a few high-risk mechanics to differentiate him (throwing his weapon and damaging yourself for rage).

Maybe something is just not clicking for me yet.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only screwed around with Wan-Fu for a few minutes but I'm really not feeling him so far.

He seems a bit too basic (maybe that wouldn't feel like a problem to me if Kazuki hadn't released previously), with just a few high-risk mechanics to differentiate him (throwing his weapon and damaging yourself for rage).

Maybe something is just not clicking for me yet.

The directors give an overview of him here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/522964121?t=1h34m43s

A lot more interesting than I thought he would be and has a bunch of unique stuff going on. Seems he will be one of the more competent disarmed characters as well.

His WFT is looking really strong.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
A lot more interesting than I thought he would be and has a bunch of unique stuff going on. Seems he will be one of the more competent disarmed characters as well.

In the old games his straight punch, quick sweep and cross up jumping butt drop allowed him to put a fight even while disarmed, which was half the time.

Jun 22, 2019
I'm aware of what he can do, he just still seems kinda barebones (which wouldn't be something I'd hold against him if Kazuki wasn't also feeling like a barebones character with a neat gimmick, just like Wan Fu).

His WTF is definitely not that good, I'd call it average overall at best. Outside of combos the cost of missing is extreme, and despite him going airborne it's still relatively slow. It's kinda like Tam Tam's in that it definitely works as an anti-air on opponents that are being dumb with jumps or are doing bad wake-up oki, but it's not as laughably punishable (but you are weaponless). Disarming yourself on hit is also a pretty massive setback to it.

I will say connecting with 214H and his command grab does feel really good. Has that explosive oomph factor going for it.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the old games his straight punch, quick sweep and cross up jumping butt drop allowed him to put a fight even while disarmed, which was half the time.

Yeah between that and the command grab and being able to combo his heavy punch from a jump in, he has it way better than most unarmed in this game.

I'm aware of what he can do, he just still seems kinda barebones (which wouldn't be something I'd hold against him if Kazuki wasn't also feeling like a barebones character with a neat gimmick, just like Wan Fu).

His WTF is definitely not that good, I'd call it average overall at best. Outside of combos the cost of missing is extreme, and despite him going airborne it's still relatively slow. It's kinda like Tam Tam's in that it definitely works as an anti-air on opponents that are being dumb with jumps or are doing bad wake-up oki, but it's not as laughably punishable (but you are weaponless). Disarming yourself on hit is also a pretty massive setback to it.

I will say connecting with 214H and his command grab does feel really good. Has that explosive oomph factor going for it.

Did you see how many times they landed that WFT in the stream? People will think twice about throwing projectiles, whiffing normals etc.

And then there's the move where he jumps across the screen and throws his pillar, after which he seems to be positive on block. And it has a variation that can cross up.

Add to that he has an anti-air and the pillar spinning move has lower body invincibility.

The pillar pounding move which lets him manually enter rage also breaks the opponent's guard if done up close.

So yeah, he didn't look bare bones at all in that stream.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Here's a framerate test. So it looks like it occasionally dips to 50-55 FPS on average. Not too bad and again didn't affect anything from what I've played.

I'm still buying the Switch version but this is disappointing :( How can Mortal Kombat 11 run better on Switch than this game? It makes no sense.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still buying the Switch version but this is disappointing :( How can Mortal Kombat 11 run better on Switch than this game? It makes no sense.

MK11 looks a lot worse than this does. I'm not against sacrificing more detail and running a game at a lower frame rate to get 60 fps though.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
MK11 looks a lot worse than this does. I'm not against sacrificing more detail and running a game at a lower frame rate to get 60 fps though.
It does? It looks far more detailed than this and both look equally blurry, I just don't see how both games could be similarly taxing on the Switch. There's no PC version so we can't know the requirements, but I'm guessing SamSho is not as demanding as MK11.

Still buying it, though :P

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does? It looks far more detailed than this and both look equally blurry, I just don't see how both games could be similarly taxing on the Switch. There's no PC version so we can't know the requirements, but I'm guessing SamSho is not as demanding as MK11.

Still buying it, though :P

SS looks much closer to its PS4 counterpart than MK11 does. MK11 has a lot less-detailed textures and looks a lot blurrier/muddier than SS does. It also is running at a lower resolution. I'm not shitting on MK11 either, however- just saying. I don't think SS is as demanding a game as MK11 is either, and I'm also pretty sure if the Switch port was running at a lower resolution, it would be a locked 60 FPS. Hoping to see a patch address its performance issues, but as it stands, it's still a great port overall despite the drops. It doesn't bother me like how SNK Heroines did.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the Switch version today on a whim (basically because I could). I've owned the PS4 version since the summer but only really started playing it this week. Then, I happened to come across the Switch version at the department store (I live in Korea) so I picked it up; I'm really glad I did.

I'm really pleased with the Switch version in comparison to the PS4 version. I had intended to mainly play this version in handheld mode and keep playing the PS4 version on the TV with my arcade stick. After actually putting some time into the Switch version (with an 8bitdo M30), I'm not sure I really need to go back to PS4 at all—at least once I am able to get the DLC characters—hopefully the DLC will be cross region once the game finally releases in the US.

The lowered resolution isn't enough to bother me, and I don't notice any frame rate issues (though I've heard some minor ones do exist).
Overall, I think I've found a new fighting game obsession.

Update:
Played it in handheld mode for the first time and it looks considerably worse. It would be disappointing if it always looked like that, but at least it looks better docked—and it doesn't look so bad that I don't want to play it or anything (like Xenoblade kind of did in handheld mode). The framerate doesn't seem to take a hit, but I've never been very good at detecting that sort of thing.

The loading times also seem quite lengthy on Switch. I haven't timed them or anything, but I noticed them on Switch while I never did on PS4.

Last edited:

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Online seems completely dead on PS4, which is a bummer since I bought this during Holiday sales and really love the game. Guess I won't be playing it much longer.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Online seems completely dead on PS4, which is a bummer since I bought this during Holiday sales and really love the game. Guess I won't be playing it much longer.

I'm still waiting to pick this up on PS4 for the playerbase, (otherwise I'd do Xbox) but that would mean the game as a whole would be dead for online.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Was just on two nights ago and found plenty of matches. Maybe it's the time of day?

It could be? I was trying at around 8 PM EST yesterday and found 1 dude in Ranked mode after waiting a while and then nothing afterwards. I'm going to keep trying since I love the game, but I'm definitely a bit bummed since I thought the game did pretty well?

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The loading times also seem quite lengthy on Switch. I haven't timed them or anything, but I noticed them on Switch while I never did on PS4.

They're about the same as PS4, IIRC.

It could be? I was trying at around 8 PM EST yesterday and found 1 dude in Ranked mode after waiting a while and then nothing afterwards. I'm going to keep trying since I love the game, but I'm definitely a bit bummed since I thought the game did pretty well?

Maybe it's just me, but if it isn't SFV, Smash, Tekken, MK, or DBZF, the playerbase is going to be small or seem dead at times, no matter what the sales were. Not even sure if I should include MK on that list at this point.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
What I want to know is if I can get the NGPC SS if I pre-order the game digitally on the Switch store - I already own a physical SS copy and don't need another box for the same game.

Oct 25, 2017
EPHZ054VAAETB2R

Samurai Shodown Season 2 Pass shown at EVO Japan.
Mina Majkina (February)
Sogetsu Kazama
Iroha
???

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EPHZ054VAAETB2R

Samurai Shodown Season 2 Pass shown at EVO Japan.
Mina Majkina (February)
Sogetsu Kazama
Iroha
???

Iroha's hair looks more blue-ish/grey now? It was full black before.

Guessing she had the least footage shown since she is the least ready at this point.

Wonder who the bonus character will be in Season 2.

LOL, I knew that Iroha would eventually make it in!

It was obvious she would, SNK's DLC choices are mostly based on fan requests/polls.

Mina and Iroha were at the top.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Can it be that this game was never on sale on the EU PSN yet? I remember KoF XIV being sold for really low soon after release, but for this game I'm still waiting for a sale.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
how is the ps4 online community? I want to get this now that it's on sale but not if it's dead.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I just got this on Switch (since there's no PC version apparently) and it's a pretty bad port to be honest, there's no excuse. It absolutely does not have any business looking way blurrier than MK11 and having frame rate issues like it does. Oh well. At least the core game is fun I guess :(

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I just got this on Switch (since there's no PC version apparently) and it's a pretty bad port to be honest, there's no excuse. It absolutely does not have any business looking way blurrier than MK11 and having frame rate issues like it does. Oh well. At least the core game is fun I guess :(

maybe these issues will be fixed come the NA/EU release

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
So.. Anyone found a rival called sekamatsu_corpo with thousands of victories and a win streak that goes beyond 7000 matches? Who is that guy, seems more of a cheated IA or something like that, lol

how is the ps4 online community? I want to get this now that it's on sale but not if it's dead.
it is not very big, but i can find matches every time i play, i am currently at almost 2500 online matches. Only problem is sometimes most players are from Japan or Asia, so some lag is to be expected, but i get good quality matches quite often.

My psn id is tzare in case you want to play some matches (of connection is good enough)

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
it is not very big, but i can find matches every time i play, i am currently at almost 2500 online matches. Only problem is sometimes most players are from Japan or Asia, so some lag is to be expected, but i get good quality matches quite often.

Bought the game over the weekend and I hope the community comes back to it with impending Season 2. Couldn't find anyone to play with last night in ranked (at 10pm GMT).

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Bought the game over the weekend and I hope the community comes back to it with impending Season 2. Couldn't find anyone to play with last night in ranked (at 10pm GMT).
It is usually more crowded on weekends, if you didn't find anyone, try to host instead of searching. I usually play during the week but later , one hour or two later

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Quoting from the discord community:

So...! Been postponing this game until the Switch version came out. Standard question: is the online good and populated? 🙂

Really want to buy it but its too expensive to be Dead on arrival :\

Edit: Bought it lol

Last edited:

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Played a few hours of the Switch version last night for the first time, I'm in love with this game.

It was SO hard to ignore the superior PS4 version for so many months but I hardly play my ps4 these days, family man and all...
The fundamental centric gameplay is right up my alley and a breath of fresh air compared to the combo system from mk11 where even if it's more ''footsie'' focused, it's still the same ol' dial a combo from the 3d days.

Also, I saw both RGT85 and 8bitEric claim that the online is smooth but I know the fanbase criticised the netcode when it came out originally. If it truly is fixed, I might jump the gun and get nintendo online, but will need some more impressions.

Haven't tested docked mode since I barely play in that manner but handheld moves at what seems to be 60fps, even tho some of the details are a bit blurry like the fighter names and some background elements.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Any word if they've improved the consistency in frame rate with the western release?

There were lots of random fps drops when the game released in Asia:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got this last night on the PSN sale.

Any good character guides about? Looking at Shiki and Ukyo, mainly.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

zsidane

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wahran, AKA Oran,DZ
Bought the switch version couple of days before release. I'm in love with the game. Graphics are great and my only complaint is about lenghty loading times. Tried one online march and it was great.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
There was a problem on the EU PS store and the Season Pass was delayed.
SNK says that you can buy Mina now, and they'll discount the season pass when it releases later.

Thanks, i wonder how will they do what they claim. Maybe reduce the price of season pass and leave Mina as standalone? I think I'll wait a few weeks to see how things develop

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Just had my first online matches on Switch (I'm new to the game as I don't own a PS4 or a Xbox). It all seemed very smooth, no hiccups or desyncs.

Also this game seems to be everything I want from a fighting game. So much fun. Will definitely get it on PC if it ever comes out.

How's Kyoshiro guys? My guts tell me I want to main its pink self.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
If any one of you Switch guys wanna add me, feel free to do it:

Switch Friend code

SW-0929-3859-4178

Not a big player, by all means, but feel free to challenge me when I'm up and playing!

Oct 26, 2017
Just had my first online matches on Switch (I'm new to the game as I don't own a PS4 or a Xbox). It all seemed very smooth, no hiccups or desyncs.

Also this game seems to be everything I want from a fighting game. So much fun. Will definitely get it on PC if it ever comes out.

How's Kyoshiro guys? My guts tell me I want to main its pink self.

He's pretty decent--I'd say a solid mid tier. His main issue is that his tools from SamSho 5 don't have the same explosive damage as they did in that game, so it hinders him.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay seems to imply that but depending on timing jumping or a fast poke could do. If I remember well what I checked last night standard throw has a 3f startup and backthrow is 5f.

So there's three ways to stop getting thrown? Ah, nice one. I guess they can't grab you midjump?

Never played a SamSho before (or an SNK fighter, for that matter). Really impressed with it. I'm dogshite, but the fights are fantastic.