• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
I love how SNK is giving you options for this thing.

Like, I want this in physical copy but I was afraid of missing out the free theme. But then I realized that they are actually selling it out for 2 dollars, so I will buy this physical and get the theme.

I wish that they included the collector edition that they released in Japan
Damn, I'm preordering digital but I bought the theme a few days ago

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So this makes me wonder if, when the Switch and PC versions come out 8-9 months later, that the season pass of content will be included with those.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The icons on the theme is disappointing. Don't know if I want to buy it yet. Need to see a video of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I'm so angry salty right now. Posted this same Ghost/ AI idea in the SF Reddit almost 2 years ago. Everybody shot me down. Even down to downloading ghosts of top tier players.

Pushed the idea of teams emphasis taking over tournaments over traditional single player (including moba style picks and bans). Shot down but now it's a big thing at Capcom.

I fail so damn hard.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trash at fighters but Samurai Shodown always interested me. It's more about careful attacks and poking rather than memorizing combos right? That'll decide whether I get it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Lost in the shuffle of the new trailer, Genjuro's character trailer.

Again - the editing on these trailers is fantastic! Well cut to the music!

I would buy in at launch but I just bought Mortal Kombat and didn't really have time to dive in yet. Looks awesome though!
Hopefully they'll benefit from Sekiro being a huge success and set in historical Japan somehow - I guess people would like more Sword Fighting and blocking!

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
The free season pass thing seems cool but it worries me they might have a bunch of other, more aggressive monetization planned or being considered.
I'm trash at fighters but Samurai Shodown always interested me. It's more about careful attacks and poking rather than memorizing combos right? That'll decide whether I get it.
Yep. There are itsy bitsy bread and butters and some characters might be a little more combo-based, but overall it's about movement and big hits.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I doubt that the "Dojo" system will truly deliver. Being able to fight an AI that fights and thinks like you do would be amazing, but I don't think it'll be at the level where it works like that. I heard Killer Instinct had something like this.

I hope the online with this game is good.

Barabub

Oct 26, 2017
I just preordered on PSN. The free season pass sold me. I'm really looking forward to it now and the theme is really cool too. Finally got me to change from my DQXI theme. :D

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
"Hit like a Damn Freight Train." That's... wonderfully appropriate, lol.

And more and more, we get to see our new faces (And returning ones!) teased before full gameplay. Snippets of Hanzo and Ruxiang gameplay GET-O! I'll allow it! Her Issen strike pose is pretty unique.

The early-buyers getting the season pass is a GREAT idea. But at the same time, it actually remind of 2 things: how Kamiya commented that Bayonetta 1 basically has it's season pass stuff "on them" since it came with SO much post game stuff (Playing Jean, the extra gameplay bonuses and unlockables, etc), and 2... KOF XIV's starting cast basically being equal to any other fighter out there + An extra season or 2 worth of characters, straight out the gate.

Since the start of their return to form, the company has been pretty consistent in their business mindset. It's one thing that helps me not worry about the deal of free content being matched on the later PC and Switch releases (which is more like 4 to 6 months later, rather than 8 to 10. It's within fall of this year/). There's been free themes and costumes given away with XIV, free stages, and loads of extra work per content that's generally above the industry standard, such as the huge amount of inter-character victory voicework in the XIV and Heroines, Iori and Miss X being 2 unique character models and separate voice actors (yet still sold together as 1 character), or Rock's hand-animated jacket animations and unique post-match victory animations based on what attack he won a match with. Or Najd, a character they figured they couldn't create as well on their own, so they ran a contest and got actual local creators to show how they'd like their culture and people to be represented in a KOF game.

They've put in an extra amount of work on many a thing, but it never comes as the cost of the consumer. It's a lot like Sakuga animation in anime. It's the developers / artist pushing something just because it's their own passion to do such.

SamSho definitely seems to be the game where they're perfecting how to display this to the greater consumer at large. The staggered release to PC, Arcade, and Switch might be an annoyance, but we're guaranteed equal support across 5 platforms on a game made by passionate developers for years to come, after that.

With all these "Crunch Culture needs to die!" articles popping up, seeing devs who are legitimately giving the consumers what they want, even going the extra mile in one fashion or another, while simultaneously also treating their employees like human beings, is a GREAT thing.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the link the the Japanese Season Pass Info: https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/official/samuraispirits/products/index.php#seasonpass

Basially includes 1 character to be released each month, staring in August, October, December, and Feburary of 2020, plus a classic Nakoruru SamSho64 style skin. JP has Haoumaru, and Genjuro SS64 skins linked to preorder specials at various places, or with special sets.

Low poly SS64 models as skins?! ... Its cute, but damn, they look bad...

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Low poly SS64 models as skins?! ... Its cute, but damn, they look bad...
Not at all. The textures are uprezzed / redrawn for HD, there's no pop-in or actual weaknesses of the model displaying as there were in the old days, and I think it's a pretty fun poke-back at the modern people who say the new SNK models have looked like PS1 era graphics. It's as fun an idea as the retro-models in the ResiEvil games, really. I always wished more 2D games would let their "8 bit" models fight their "16+ bit" sprites in newer games too. It's not COHESIVE, but it's a great way to chronicle the history of a series.
Season pass comes free with game purchase? Am I dead?
The game is running with #EmbraceDeath so... maybe?

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost sounds cool and hope it pans out.
Season Pass as a bonus for opening week-ish buying is great, love that idea.
SNK isn't letting up.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
KOF's I think (At the very least I think the base copy of the game was discounted if the DLC wasn't given for free).

I think SNK is seeing the positive reception and is trying to build up goodwill in case something goes bad so they get a chance to fix it.
I was wondering, because KOFXIV for Steam definitely does not include the 2 DLC packs, nor did SNK Heroines. You'd think late ports would have lower prices or include already made content but...

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
How's this game execution wise? The idea of a fighting game where you die super fast sounds interesting to me, but I suck at execution and don't wanna regret a purchase.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'd need to get this on the PS4 for the online user base more so than other fighters.
Any word on Pro support?

Feb 16, 2018
Man I was going to wait for a sale but damn that season pass deal is too good, maybe Mario maker 2 or dq builders 2 can wait a little while longer. Not a big fighting game guy but this looks like it's up my alley.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So this makes me wonder if, when the Switch and PC versions come out 8-9 months later, that the season pass of content will be included with those.

Switch and PC is slated for Fall 2019 so you don't have to wait that long.

Great, was going to buy anyways but this is a great bonus!
Is it available now? Only digital or also physical?

This offer is for both digital and physical.

How's this game execution wise? The idea of a fighting game where you die super fast sounds interesting to me, but I suck at execution and don't wanna regret a purchase.

Yes, shorter combos, higher damage per hit, and greater emphasize on mind games and counter.

If you have time, this is a short 16mins video with more detailed of the controls, mechanics and gameplay in SamSho.

Nulak

Nov 11, 2017

Really easy.
I would say this game (or the serie) is perfect to learn "Versus fighting game" fundamental.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so angry salty right now. Posted this same Ghost/ AI idea in the SF Reddit almost 2 years ago. Everybody shot me down. Even down to downloading ghosts of top tier players.

Pushed the idea of teams emphasis taking over tournaments over traditional single player (including moba style picks and bans). Shot down but now it's a big thing at Capcom.

I fail so damn hard.
Killer Instinct did it before you thought of this anyway =P
(And I think that Virtua Fighter 4 had something similar for top arcade players too)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll be placing a physical pre-order if/when Best Buy gets a listing. Gotta take advantage of my grandfathered GCU before it expires at the end of this year.