• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Do I need to pre-order the physical version to get the Season Pass or can I just buy it Day One and still get it?

It's a real bummer that there seems to be so little interest in the game. All the videos on youtube barely have any views.

It's a post golden-era SNK title developed by a still growing SNK after a decade plus of laughable irrelevance

SNK will never be as big as they were. Titles like these will be discussed frequently within the niche where fighters are popular.

That's all there is to it.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's a post golden-era SNK title developed by a still growing SNK after a decade plus of laughable irrelevance

They already reached their preorder goals in Asia, they probably see the sales they could get on western countries as a bonus. Not their fault that many people will only play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or Tekken and nothing else.

They are the only developer that puts every game on arcade, they know their target audience.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
They already reached their preorder goals in Asia, they probably see the sales they could get on western countries as a bonus. Not their fault that many people will only play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or Tekken and nothing else.

They are the only developer that puts every game on arcade, they know their target audience.

And you don't think the stigma of SNK releasing sub-par everything with their IPs beyond KOF and to a lesser extent Metal Slug doesn't play a part in their stigma overseas?

Oct 26, 2017
It's possible that the PC version releases with free DLC. It's something that's been done with both KOF 13 and 14 on PC. Whatever free DLC the consoles get for when you pre-order, I bet it's just there for free in the PC version.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
And you don't think the stigma of SNK releasing sub-par everything with their IPs beyond KOF and to a lesser extent Metal Slug doesn't play a part in their stigma overseas?

I don't think there is anything SNK can do to be popular in USA. They could release a fighting game with the production values of MK and people there would find a excuse to not play the game, like "too hard", "bad netcode" or "not enough value". Even so called hardcore fighting gamers do it.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
STUNFEST had an invitational tourney today! Here's a highlight. Before any ask, yes, same 7 chara build.

Whole thing should be archieved on NeoGeoWorldTour's twitch account. Shout outs to all the fun EaassQuake, Genjuro, and Galford play!

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Cant be bothered to see a new build with the game so close

Gonna be running Genjuro, Kyoshiro and best girl Darli.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any kind of gamepad that replicates the NGPC stick? Going back to it for Samurai Shodown 2 this week felt so much better than playing the "true" game on XB1 with a fightpad (hori).

Exar's Neo Geo Pad 2 USB is a PS3/PC controller that is a great recreation of the Neo Geo CD controller (with additional PS3 buttons) complete with a microswitched directional pad, just like the NGPC had. If you get one of those, and an appropriate Brook PS4 or XB1 adapter you should be good to go.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
Pre-ordering isn't necessary. You have from the 25th (launch day) till 30th to get it for free. This goes for both physical and digital copies.

I'm not understanding how it works... Will it be a code with the game? Should I put the game in my console within the first week to get the season pass? I want to buy it but I won't be able to put my copy in my PS4 before the end of July...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have they confirmed if this game is going to have a physical release on America? I want to save the money for the game, but I have to decide soon if I'm going to buy the game as a digital preorder, or buy the physical game on day one

Nah, they released arguably one of their best games ever with KOF 13 and people weren't very interested on it.

The thing is, SNK was never that big on Europe and the USA, specially compared to Street Fighter, Tekken and Mortal Kombat, so there is never going to be much talk about it.

That being said, and from my personal experience, this game definitely seems to have a much better reception within the FGC than titles like KOF 14 and SNK Heroines. By the end of the day, SNK knows that their titles are niche and they budget their titles around that, so things like SNK Heroines were profitable to them (which is still a big surprise for me)

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not understanding how it works... Will it be a code with the game? Should I put the game in my console within the first week to get the season pass? I want to buy it but I won't be able to put my copy in my PS4 before the end of July...

Usually with these "pre-order bonus" it comes with a code for every new purchase. I don't expect this to work any differently. You can redeem the code later, they have expiration dates like one year later.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

Characters available at Combo Breaker demo. The usual suspe- WELL HELLO SHIKI! Let's see how swiftly people adapt to her.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Exar's Neo Geo Pad 2 USB is a PS3/PC controller that is a great recreation of the Neo Geo CD controller (with additional PS3 buttons) complete with a microswitched directional pad, just like the NGPC had. If you get one of those, and an appropriate Brook PS4 or XB1 adapter you should be good to go.

I already have a converter so I'll take a look. Thanks!

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I assumed a code, but it really isn't totally clear, especially given the limited window.

I hope they can elaborate soon.
I asked a bit around on other forums. I guess I will buy the game, send it to my friend place and do the following:
  • if it is a code, he will give it to me and I will just activate it through my console or PSN website
  • if you need to access a hidden PSN page through the game, I'll give him my account credentials to setup my account on his PS4 (but not as primary), then he will redeem the season pass for me. It seems it works and I might have to simply restore the licences on my main PS4

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am interested in this game but some questions I hope you people will answer me

Before... I never played a Samurai Showdown before but I love KoF and SF.

How is the gameplay?
the gameplay I have seen is more close to the 2 mentioned above as to let me say ArcSystem games which I like but on the other hand don't enjoy the fighting system that much.

Are there some previews out?
After the disappointment I made with MK I do not want to spent money blindly again just on hype.

Is there something special to the franchise as well?

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I am interested in this game but some questions I hope you people will answer me

Before... I never played a Samurai Showdown before but I love KoF and SF.

How is the gameplay?
the gameplay I have seen is more close to the 2 mentioned above as to let me say ArcSystem games which I like but on the other hand don't enjoy the fighting system that much.

I'll try to help a bit! Lets see...

The popular feeling is that the gameplay is less about combos, more about patience and reading your opponent. This shifts a BIT depending on the character you play, but it's still prevalent throughout. The majority of robbing matches from your opponent won't come from setplay and comeback tools, but more through patience, good reactions, and forcing impatience out of your opponent.

Fights are generally grounded and spacing based. You'll be testing your opponents ranges with weapon strikes, and trying to only use the strong strikes when you know they're going to hit.

The universal systems are closer to KOF, in that you have runs, dodges, and quick backdashes. Pokes are more like traditional SF, in that they lead to simple followups, rather than MAX Cancels.

You won't see ASW things like IAD or universal AA normals here, though. There is a once per entire match Rage Explosion skill, that's similar to GG. You sacrifice your meter for the chance at a super-strong single-use attack. But if you miss, it, and your meter, are gone for the remainder of the match, not just that single round.

Are there some previews out?
After the disappointment I made with MK I do not want to spent money blindly again just on hype.

Is there something special to the franchise as well?
Depends on what you want out of a preview. The trailer in the OP of this thread is the best official product overview. Most other places focus mostly on specific characters, or a single piece of news. However, news outlets all over the world (IGN Korea, IGN USA, Famitsu, DengekiOnline, etc) have all had a few cracks at gameplay overviews. They're mostly just impressions of the things all the live demo builds have shown us, however.

As far as something special to the franchise? There's lots, depending on how you look at it. The series was the first Weapon-based fighter, it's probably the first at all with "pet" characters, the old-school scene scaling was very impressive (it has a bit now, but it's not obvious), And it's story timeframe is somewhat unique, and overall well realized. It's also violent but not SUPER violent.

As a modern fighter now, it'll probably be one of most "traditional" of those out now. It's low on noob-friendly hand-holding, it's execution is improved but not super-simple, and it focuses more on perfecting the necessary, rather than tossing out a lot of extra bells and whistles. Though there have been 7+ Games to the series, this one closely resembles the 2nd game, with a few things taken from the later iterations.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to help a bit! Lets see...

The popular feeling is that the gameplay is less about combos, more about patience and reading your opponent. This shifts a BIT depending on the character you play, but it's still prevalent throughout. The majority of robbing matches from your opponent won't come from setplay and comeback tools, but more through patience, good reactions, and forcing impatience out of your opponent.

Fights are generally grounded and spacing based. You'll be testing your opponents ranges with weapon strikes, and trying to only use the strong strikes when you know they're going to hit.

The universal systems are closer to KOF, in that you have runs, dodges, and quick backdashes. Pokes are more like traditional SF, in that they lead to simple followups, rather than MAX Cancels.

You won't see ASW things like IAD or universal AA normals here, though. There is a once per entire match Rage Explosion skill, that's similar to GG. You sacrifice your meter for the chance at a super-strong single-use attack. But if you miss, it, and your meter, are gone for the remainder of the match, not just that single round.

Depends on what you want out of a preview. The trailer in the OP of this thread is the best official product overview. Most other places focus mostly on specific characters, or a single piece of news. However, news outlets all over the world (IGN Korea, IGN USA, Famitsu, DengekiOnline, etc) have all had a few cracks at gameplay overviews. They're mostly just impressions of the things all the live demo builds have shown us, however.

As far as something special to the franchise? There's lots, depending on how you look at it. The series was the first Weapon-based fighter, it's probably the first at all with "pet" characters, the old-school scene scaling was very impressive (it has a bit now, but it's not obvious), And it's story timeframe is somewhat unique, and overall well realized. It's also violent but not SUPER violent.

As a modern fighter now, it'll probably be one of most "traditional" of those out now. It's low on noob-friendly hand-holding, it's execution is improved but not super-simple, and it focuses more on perfecting the necessary, rather than tossing out a lot of extra bells and whistles. Though there have been 7+ Games to the series, this one closely resembles the 2nd game, with a few things taken from the later iterations.

Thank you for this... Sounds nice

Oct 27, 2017
For reference

25_samshocontrols01.jpg
So, pardon my ignorance as its been a hell of a long time since I was into this genre, but I can do those crazy inputs for Supers, OR I can just hit R2? I was just playing Samsho 4 on Switch and for the life of me I couldn't get the damn Rage Explosion to work, even though I was playing ABC.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, pardon my ignorance as its been a hell of a long time since I was into this genre, but I can do those crazy inputs for Supers, OR I can just hit R2? I was just playing Samsho 4 on Switch and for the life of me I couldn't get the damn Rage Explosion to work, even though I was playing ABC.

I can only assume that you are having issues pressing multiple buttons on the Switch because doing the rage explosion in SS4 is as simple as hitting the three buttons ABC at the same time. And doing the follow up Issen super is just hitting BCD at the same time.

That being said yeah, you can activate rage explosion in the new game with L2 and then hit L2 again to get the Issen super after.

But that's just for that rage explosion and Issen, the rage supers (Weapon Flipping Techniques) and Super Special Moves have their own universal motions:

WFT = Quarter Circle Forward + AB
SSM = Forward, Half Circle Forward + CD

The SSM is basically the Haoshokoken motion.

ryo-superfireball.gif

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Everything you see up there is a dedicated button for those move, on the arcade stick you just hit various combinations of four buttons to do those moves but for a controller most games just have dedicated buttons assigned.

So you can do Rage Explosion with just L2. But I think you still have some motion inputs for Super moves

Oct 27, 2017
I can only assume that you are having issues pressing multiple buttons on the Switch because doing the rage explosion in SS4 is as simple as hitting the three buttons ABC at the same time. And doing the follow up Issen super is just hitting BCD at the same time.

That being said yeah, you can activate rage explosion in the new game with L2 and then hit L2 again to get the Issen super after.

But that's just for that rage explosion and Issen, the rage supers (Weapon Flipping Techniques) and Super Special Moves have their own universal motions:

WFT = Quarter Circle Forward + AB
SSM = Forward, Half Circle Forward + CD

The SSM is basically the Haoshokoken motion.

ryo-superfireball.gif
Everything you see up there is a dedicated button for those move, on the arcade stick you just hit various combinations of four buttons to do those moves but for a controller most games just have dedicated buttons assigned.

So you can do Rage Explosion with just L2. But I think you still have some motion inputs for Super moves
Thank you both! I'm super jazzed.