• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

samsho120.png

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, first traditional fighting game to break the 60fps lock... very curious to see how this looks and if it could set a new standard

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully this because a thing with fighting games going forward

Nov 28, 2017
It's looks like a native port. So, it's like a RGG: Like a Dragon situation where it has some months of timed exclusivity for the XSX/XSS on current gen, and release for the PS5 later with the upgrade path?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
  • Xbox only
  • Hori's new stick and fighting commander controller are Xbox only

This can only mean one thing...

Your guess is as good as mine

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
  • Xbox only
  • Hori's new stick and fighting commander controller are Xbox only

This can only mean one thing...

Your guess is as good as mine
I think it has to do how BC is done on the PS5 compared to the Xbox consoles.

www.eurogamer.net

The ball's in Sony's court for PS4 games running at 120fps on PS5

We're starting to get a sense of why PlayStation 5 users are unlikely to see PlayStation 4 games run at 120 frames per …

Now, we have evidence to suggest that line of thinking is correct. Rocket League is in a similar boat to Warzone: the hugely popular football driving game has been updated to run at 120fps on Xbox Series X, but not on PS5. Why?

Developer Psyonix told Eurogamer there were a few reasons for the decision, and pointed out enabling 120fps on PS5 "requires a full native port", whereas it's just a "minor patch" on Xbox Series X and S.

So much more work for developers. But should be fixable if Sony updates their dev tools apparently.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
And what happens online against someone playing at 60?
The same that happens when playing fps? I guess the one playing at 120 will have some advantage.
No different than when playing against people using sticks or hit box.
I think it should be optional to choose when matchmaking. That would make user base even narrower, though.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Would 120fps make move execution easier? I'm guessing no cause the inputs are still built for 60?

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is one of those "feel it to believe it" type things. Wouldn't going to 120 FPS mess up a lot of muscle memory and frame data? Also, kind of wish this update was going to PC as well so I can try it out.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The same that happens when playing fps? I guess the one playing at 120 will have some advantage.
No different than when playing against people using sticks or hit box.
I think it should be optional to choose when matchmaking. That would make user base even narrower, though.
Not really the same.

And controllers are just a preference. A stick isn't necessarily better than a controller and vice versa.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Nice, I hope 120hz keeps getting support. So good playing the likes of Crosscode, Rocket League, Ori and The Touryst at 120fps. So responsive and crystal clear clarity in motion. Monster Boy is getting a 120hz update too.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Does it run at 4k60 on consoles already? If not, then I would've preferred them to have worked on that. According to my friends this game is almost unplayable online and that's a shame :/

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
How does this work? Noob question here.

If a game has 60 frames of animation displayed in a second, then have the artists doubled the drawings/artwork to make it 120 frames a second? Or it would just play at double speed?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Not really the same.

And controllers are just a preference. A stick isn't necessarily better than a controller and vice versa.
Well, hit boxes can bypass some physical limitations that sticks and controllers have if not mistaken.
And 120 means faster response, so i guess, like with fps or any other game, it benefits the player with lower latency. If it wasn't better people wouldn't care.
The thing is how many fighting games, looking forward, will support this mode. SS is not s very demanding game, but others like SF or MK that are more advanced may have trouble unless lowering visual settings

Oct 25, 2017
How does this work? Noob question here.

If a game has 60 frames of animation displayed in a second, then have the artists doubled the drawings/artwork to make it 120 frames a second? Or it would just play at double speed?
In most cases for a game like this, you'd just get duplicate frames of animation, which was already the case with 60fps.

The switch to 120 is purely for responsiveness. Tight combos are easier to pull off because you have double the frames to get your inputs in. Opponent's attacks are easier to react to because you have double the frames of visual clarity

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Now everyone will see ... the masses will get a taste of 60/120 fps, and will further demand more games to reach that level of performance.

the high framerate bell cannot be un-rung!

I feel like this is one of those "feel it to believe it" type things. Wouldn't going to 120 FPS mess up a lot of muscle memory and frame data? Also, kind of wish this update was going to PC as well so I can try it out.
It would mess it up the same way gaining awesome superpowers would mess up someone's coordination—there'd be a period of adjustment, then it'd be better

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Put that effort into rolllback instead of asking Code Mystic to do it when the game is 20 years old