• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh who makes this shit

rsa37n0itj991.png

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably a historical accuracy toggle, since female soldiers PROBABLY wouldn't have been present in combat scenarios in the 16th century, but you'd have to be a real weird nerd to care about that kind of stuff in a Warriors game of all things.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
It's so stupid that it's actually funny lol

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
finally, a game to accurately simulate the dating lives of straight male gamers

e: fuck the post above me owns so hard

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did this go unnoticed for 8 years?

How has this not been memes into oblivion already?!?!

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Some men don't want to hit women, even fictional women, because they feel it's not 'chivalrous'. I guess the 'famous officer' toggle is there because they meaningfully fight back and has some personality unlike the thousand faceless (female) goons you just mowed down. But I never played any Musou game, so maybe I'm wrong in that regard...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably a historical accuracy toggle, since female soldiers PROBABLY wouldn't have been present in combat scenarios in the 16th century, but you'd have to be a real weird nerd to care about that kind of stuff in a Warriors game of all things.

There were several notable female officers in that era, like Ginchiyo Tachibana, who has been a major character in the series since SW2. Female warlords were rare, but female fighters were certainly a thing.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC we know they did exist back then, but it was probably 50 to 1 or 100 to 1 ratio against male soldiers.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Where's the toggle so that my weapon gets stuck in the body of the first enemy I hit, and then I am mobbed and brutally killed by the hundreds of surrounding soldiers?

It's just not accurate otherwise. Also needs a funny costume toggle.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
we know they exist and the game acknowledges they exist otherwise there wouldn't be a "famous officer toggle"

i think this option is for people who don't feel comfortable having to fight women

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks I already turn them off IRL,..

But on a serious note it's a weird option. Historical accuracy I guess? Lol it's a game I would just let them be in it. Maybe it's a Violence against women thing? Idk

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There were several notable female officers in that era, like Ginchiyo Tachibana, who has been a major character in the series since SW2. Female warlords were rare, but female fighters were certainly a thing.

After how they treated Ginchiyo in Nioh, I'm not that surprised...

No thanks I already turn them off IRL,..

But on a serious note it's a weird option. Historical accuracy I guess? Lol it's a game I would just let them be in it. Maybe it's a Violence against women thing? Idk

There were female warriors in that era though.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
If someone is playing Samurai Warriors 4 they are not caring about historical accuracy come on LOL

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its probably there for the same reason why when you play a game with a female protaginst you still mostly kill men 90s percent of the time

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Sounds more like a macho fantasy issue, but sure, it could be. Gamers (not you, don't read it like that) are weeeeird.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

In Japan it wasn't really until the Tokugawa shogunate took over (perhaps a little bit before) that women stopped fighting. There are a lot of famous historical Japanese female warriors from Japan.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's there for chivalrous Chads who respect women too much to wanna hit them even in a video game. Come on Era.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Their other historical games like Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of 3 Kingdoms have similar options. The difference is that women will still be exist, but only to limited scenarios.

1OTNUfP.png

I9SbVNS.png

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that option is only found in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, not the main SW4 entry.

This is how it's supposed to work in that particular game:

The setting is available when you start up either a new Conquest or Genesis game, alongside more common options like "Difficulty" and "Data Importing." Allowing female officers leaves the game unchanged. Allowing only famous officers keeps the 56 historical figures intact, but prevents female characters appearing as random officers throughout the game. Disallowing female characters entirely both prevents random female officers and removes all 13 famous female officers from the character pool, meaning neither the player or AI can choose the following characters:
  • Aya (SW3)
  • Ginchiyo Tachibana (SW2)
  • Gracia (SW2)
  • Ina (SW)
  • Lady Hayakawa (SW4)
  • Kai (SW3)
  • Koshosho (SW4)
  • Kunoichi (SW)
  • Naotora Li (SW4)
  • Nene (SW2)
  • No (SW)
  • Oichi (SW)
  • Okuni (SW)

Source:

That said, I can remember seeing a similar option in a few of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Nobunaga's Ambition strategy / simulation games, which are arguably somewhat more concerned about so-called "historical accuracy" than any of the over-the-top Samurai Warriors or Dynasty Warriors titles.

Of course, it would be objectively wrong to pretend that there were zero fighting women in Japanese (or Chinese) history. They were a minority and the games are known for taking creative liberties in a few cases, by letting you select women who didn't have any known fighting skills in recorded history, but my personal opinion about this issue is there really isn't much to gain by having this as a toggle that you can "turn off". I've never felt the need to change those settings.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's from Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, not base 4. And, yes, it's to turn off women. Generally, the only women in the main Samurai Warriors/Dynasty Warriors games are the unique characters, the generic looking officers with historical names you face and fill in various minor commander roles in the enemy and allied armies are always male. SW4 Empires added generic female officers to the various factions for the first time, but then it also added that option of turning them off - or even turning off all female officers in general, including the unique characters, something that isn't in any of the other games.

Edit: And I post slightly after a much better explanation.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
About that, how is it? I've been having it in my wishlist for so long but never got around buying it.. last SW I played was 3 but I did not like it as much as 1 and 2 (these were amazing).
I played the hell out of 5 and overall really loved it. I think it's a great foundation and would have been one of my favorite musou ever if it just had more content, essentially. The negatives are that its side mode (Citadel) isn't very interesting, the roster is much smaller and dropped tons of women, and there are cloned movesets. The positives are that it has a great, distinct visual style; the new additions to combat keep it interesting by often having new skills to try out; the story is thoroughly enjoyable through both routes; I like practically all the character redesigns more than their originals; and all the movesets that are in the game are different from one another and super fun. I think at this point it may be worth waiting a year to see if they announce a sequel with many more characters and no more clones, but if you're a big musou fan, I think it's totally worth picking up on sale to run through!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

So not only was it a real-life matter, but the series itself has that precedent

"Historical Accuracy" always seem to default to "no 'minorities' " when it comes to games for some reason 🤔

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
About that, how is it? I've been having it in my wishlist for so long but never got around buying it.. last SW I played was 3 but I did not like it as much as 1 and 2 (these were amazing).
In terms of gameplay, 5 is the best in the series and one of the best Musous in general, i like the new art style and some re-designs are better than the originals, that being said, a lot of content is missing, you really only follow Oda Nobunaga's forces and like 2 or 3 missions shortly after he dies and some what-if scenarios, this means Shingen's and Uesugi's sides are severely lacking in characters as they get much less focus and don't get their own chapters.

Heck, a lot of characters are missing, and yet almost everyone has cloned movesets, it doesn't help that the game spans quite a few years but only Mitsuhide and Nobunaga get a young and old looking versions, with slightly different movesets and Musou attacks which is neat, i mean, with the lack of characters, you'd think this would have been done a bit more just to appease people, but nope, Hideyoshi spends more than a decade looking the exact same alongside almost everyone else, which would be fine as Musou games tend to do that, but considering they did change Mitsuhide and Nobunaga, it feels a bit off.

There is also only one side mode and it's a really lame one, the thing is though, in gameplay terms, like i said, it's great, fast and fun, the cloned movesets means they spent time balancing each of them and they are all fun and good to use without something like an absurdly weaker character or moveset than others like in other games, you can use pratically everyone and win.

Also, in terms of story, the focus on Oda and Mitsuhide means their story gets a lot more focus than the typical character or faction and it's explored more, but some people still would rather get all factions, or aren't happy with some changes, like No going from evil maybe psycho wife of Nobunaga that likes to fight to someone raised to be a doll with no opinion that Nobunaga falls in love for and pushes to force her own feelings and desires into the world rather than waiting for the opinion of a man and she is more gentle and kind in nature than the old No even if she still supports her husband's warlord ways and people think that is much more lame or generic.