• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You will need a Japanese account or you'll need to do some region shenanigans to access the demo. There's no PC demo, as the PC release is next month along with the worldwide release. The Japanese console release is June 24th. I'll be downloading the Switch demo to make my decision on whether I'm going with that or PC based on performance.

Here's some more info on the game and some English gameplay:
www.gematsu.com

Samurai Warriors 5 details Citadel Mode, Vault, and My Castle

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Omega Force have released new information and screenshots for Samurai Warriors 5 introducing the game’s Citadel Mode, Vault, and My Castle.

Post some impressions!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's running much better than Warriors Orochi, that's for sure, you get used to the aliasing after a while so it's a good version so far.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm just starting it up now. My expectation is that playing the Switch demo in handheld will confirm that I want it on PC. haha
Just to be clear: the demo is fully in japanese, right?
I have confirmed that it's in Japanese only.
It's running much better than Warriors Orochi, that's for sure, you get used to the aliasing after a while so it's a good version so far.
Which console are you trying it out on?

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Okay! I just tried the demo out on Switch and PS4. I skipped all the cutscenes because I'm getting it on PC and will be seeing them again anyway since my save won't carry over, so I don't have much to say on the story.

Performance:
Switch was... rough. In handheld, it looks pretty bad in terms of detail. It seemed to run okay (although I admittedly dropped out pretty quickly), but in terms of graphics it looked considerably worse than Age of Calamity in the few minutes I gave it. I threw it on the TV, but between the lower framerate and resolution, I decided to just download the PS4 version and jump ship. I was already pretty certain I was gonna do PC over Switch, but this confirmed it 100% for me. It's definitely not unplayable. I've played Musou games for hours on 3DS and Vita (and this is obviously much better than those), but when I have better options, it's just not worth it for what feels like a worse experience to me.

Running the demo on a PS4 Pro was leaps and bounds more impressive (as expected). I can't confirm this, but it appeared to be 60 fps because the motion was night and day from the Switch version. It's surely an earlier build, so while there were random stutters every 5 mins or so, I don't imagine they'll make it into the full version (and even more should be ironed out by the time we get the game in the west). Beyond those small hiccups, it ran very smoothly. There's some pretty noticeable aliasing (especially on grass!), which is a bit surprising since they're doing a new style and it was running on a PS4 Pro... but that's Omega Force for ya. I wonder if current gen systems in backwards compatibility mode will work some magic on the resolution to make it less apparent. Not a big deal, though. Overall, it looks and runs pretty well on the Pro.

Gameplay:
Very happy with this. As a Musou fan, I'm sold on day one. I still have some reservations regarding cloned movesets, but hopefully that won't feel too bad since the characters feel more different than in past titles. Adopting the skills from Pirate Warriors 4 was a great choice (and it feels even better since there are still musou attacks and an awakening mode on top of that). You map the skills to the four face buttons, and they're typically buffs or attacks from what I've seen. It also looks like they may each have three levels unless I've misunderstood looking at some menu icons. Being able to fill a big portion of the musou gauge when you need it or give yourself a health boost is nice, but I'd probably lean towards just having four special attacks.

I tried five characters (after beating the two levels in the demo, you can replay them and select four additional characters). Nobunaga was pretty basic, but as with Spirit of Sanada, I imagine being the main character with Akechi will mean they both end up with the biggest combos. I heard from the IGN preview that the third stage allows you to use different characters, so I'm less worried about getting sick of Nobunaga than I was before (I definitely got sick of Masayuki and Yukimura in Spirit of Sanada after 20 hours of mostly playing them). I liked Nou-hime more than expected, as she's not as weak against captains as I was thinking. Her Musou is really stylish, and her special skill that unleashes a barrage of arrows is very satisfying. Toshiie feels incredibly powerful; each swing of his spear has lots of oomph, and it sends enemies flying. My favorite characters were the more speed-oriented Ieyasu and Hideyoshi. Ieyasu has great horizontal range with all his attacks, and he starts with very long standard and hyper combos, which makes him feel versatile and dangerous despite his lower power. Hideyoshi is just incredibly fun. I'm pretty sure you can do an infinite combo by starting with a hyper combo, entering your normal combo string, canceling a charge attack with jump (launcher), doing your aerial string, using your rush skill, and then repeating. It's wild. Obviously based on Omega Force's work on Pirate Warriors 4, the characters with big air combos are fun as hell. I love that you can use jump to cancel any combo string (including hyper or charge attacks) to do a launcher attack and start your air combo; I don't think that'll ever get old.

Conclusion:
Quite satisfied with this one. I definitely wish it had a bigger rosters (with a better ratio of female characters...) and no clones, but if it has a sizable campaign and keeps me interested with the side modes, this'll have its hooks in me for a while. So far, it feels like a huge step up from Spirit of Sanada in a lot of ways, and I think it's gonna side step the biggest issue I had with that game, which was just how many missions I was forced to play only Masayuki and then only Yukimura for dozens of hours. It feels like while the roster is smaller, the utilization of its diverse cast will keep it feeling fresh for Musou veterans. I don't think it'll convince anyone who finds these games to be a grind against mindless drones, but lovers of the franchise should be happy.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Tried the demo on XSX. The image quality is slightly blurry on some textures, but performance wise it seems to run a buttery smooth 60fps.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Not a huge musou fan but I love the game artstyle and presentation so Im def gonna try it.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
This plays really well, but then what Samurai Warriors didn't? Wii version of 3 doesn't count.

Hyper attacks instead of being nerfed, were made more smooth to use... Which is a decent 2nd option compared to nerfing them.

The smooth way you can just continue juggles is nice, although i expet officers to recover better further into the game.

What surprised me is that... it doesn't feelik SW4 at all, it feels quite different, it geniunely feels like a new entry, which considering it's a reboot with all new movesets and character designs might seem obvious... but there were concerns of it being too much like 4... But the way hyper attcks work and general feel of attacks, it feels different from 4

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This plays really well, but then what Samurai Warriors didn't? Wii version of 3 doesn't count.

Hyper attacks instead of being nerfed, were made more smooth to use... Which is a decent 2nd option compared to nerfing them.

The smooth way you can just continue juggles is nice, although i expet officers to recover better further into the game.

What surprised me is that... it doesn't feelik SW4 at all, it feels quite different, it geniunely feels like a new entry, which considering it's a reboot with all new movesets and character designs might seem obvious... but there were concerns of it being too much like 4... But the way hyper attcks work and general feel of attacks, it feels different from 4
Some Pirate Warriors mechanics plus some additional innovations really was the right way.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the Demo on ps5. Looks 60fps and the Res is also not too shabby.
Of the characters i tried i liked Nō the most. Her Bow lets you get some big combo easily :D

Didnt like young Nobunaga too much. Wonder if older one will have different Combos.

Some Recorded gameplay from PS5. YT claims its 2160p60 no idea what Res the game itself renders in tho.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Can you juggle enemies now? Idk if it was an ai bug or what but in SW4-2 enemies would just auto recover no matter what if they got juggled. Nobunaga's full C2 combo was completely unusable because of this lol.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Can you juggle enemies now? Idk if it was an ai bug or what but in SW4-2 enemies would just auto recover no matter what if they got juggled. Nobunaga's full C2 combo was completely unusable because of this lol.

Depending on how AI is feeling at any given moment, you can get away with something like this.

Later enemies even in demo will flip out of more eggregious examples of this, but overall, it seems like you can keep this going for a bit...

Granted I feel like go strategy for end game will be resetting your combo with r1 skills, cuz even early on, that cooldown is not that long and you will eventually have 4 of em to rotate.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just tried this on Series S and it feels great. Totally locked performance (as you'd expect).

Remember that you don't need a JP account or anything on Xbox, just use that linked shared above ^

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Didnt like young Nobunaga too much. Wonder if older one will have different Combos.
Spirit of Sanada was the same way with its protagonists. I assume Nobunaga starts off super basic and boring and becomes a powerhouse with bigger, more diverse combos than anyone else (and Akechi will probably be right behind him).
Can you juggle enemies now?
I had huge combos juggling officers in the demo. It's mostly successful. You can essentially force it to continue if they recover by using skill attacks, too.
Granted I feel like go strategy for end game will be resetting your combo with r1 skills
I see I'm not the only one who noticed this! Yeah. Hideyoshi has an infinite combo loop even at level 5 hahaha

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this thread because I suddenly saw streams of the game today and thought it's already out. Well, it is, but only in Japan with the international release next month. Kinda missed that Japan is getting it a month earlier. However, I did not know that there was a demo on the Japanese store. Stoked to try it out later today. Maybe others missed that announcement too, hence the bump.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Bumping this thread because I suddenly saw streams of the game today and thought it's already out. Well, it is, but only in Japan with the international release next month. Kinda missed that Japan is getting it a month earlier. However, I did not know that there was a demo on the Japanese store. Stoked to try it out later today. Maybe others missed that announcement too, hence the bump.
How did you enjoy the demo? I watched a Japanese review last week that was mostly positive but said the My Castle mode wasn't great. I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews since that isn't in the demo at all.

Also, I really hope there is a PC demo this month so I can play it again and carry over the little progress day one. I haven't confirmed this (and can't remember if it said in the Japanese demo), but it seems characters are level locked at 5 or something in the demo? Guess I can't grind the hell out of it like I did the Age of Calamity demo.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
How did you enjoy the demo? I watched a Japanese review last week that was mostly positive but said the My Castle mode wasn't great. I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews since that isn't in the demo at all.

Also, I really hope there is a PC demo this month so I can play it again and carry over the little progress day one. I haven't confirmed this (and can't remember if it said in the Japanese demo), but it seems characters are level locked at 5 or something in the demo? Guess I can't grind the hell out of it like I did the Age of Calamity demo.

I enjoyed it a lot. I think the more comic-like visuals are a great decision and at least on PS5 the game ran great. There's some interesting systems at work with the R1 skills and I'm very curious to see how endgame will look like using them. I really enjoyed dashing into a large group of enemies with Nobunaga before comboing them. Same when I juggled the bosses. Almost felt bad for them because they didn't really stand a chance that way. I didn't get to try out the other characters, which is something I want to get around on the weekend. I do like how "sassy" (I don't know if that's the right word here) Nobunaga is with his body language and all. Or maybe I'm just weak to the way he's holding his weapon, haha.

I haven't actually looked too much into My Castle mode, but it's a bit sad to hear that the reviewer didn't quite like it. I hope I can get some fun out of it because the concept itself sounds pretty fun at least.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Is anyone intending to make an OT? I have like zero interest in making one, but I'd like to have somewhere to talk about the game on release.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Until Fire Emblem Warriors, I hadn't played a Musou game since Dynasty Warriors 2. I enjoyed FE Warriors and all of the extra systems it throws in. Would I enjoy this?

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Until Fire Emblem Warriors, I hadn't played a Musou game since Dynasty Warriors 2. I enjoyed FE Warriors and all of the extra systems it throws in. Would I enjoy this?
Probably, but you can check out the Japanese demo (or wait until later this month to see if other regions get one) and find out!

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
this demo.....I miss sengoku basara. I like this though, the art style is slick and fun.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I've dabbled in the musou genre before, (primarily through the Warriors Orochi series) so I can't quite put it into precise words…

But whatever they've done here is fantastic, this demo put the game into Day 1 territory for me, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

Between the subtle changes to the combat, the new cell shaded look, and the 60fps performance on One X, this is just such a joy to play and for me personally just an "from out of left field" game in terms of excitement. Can't wait!

Is anyone intending to make an OT? I have like zero interest in making one, but I'd like to have somewhere to talk about the game on release.

Im unsure if there's a dedicated musou community on Era, but if no one minds I will handle the OT. I've made several over the years so making one is no issue, just want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes or if there's someone with more knowledge on this specific series than me that's interested.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt know they put out a demo until i read the thraed title just now lol. Maybe they will do one for PC after the game is out. I still dont trust them after 4-2, really hated that game.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's switch performance? Better or worse than hyrule warriors?
Hyrule warriors as in the first? Worse expect hyrule warriors Age of Calamity performance and better( but not better than the wiiu port game). It's normal/par the course for a koei tecmo musou game running on Nintendo hardware.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Im unsure if there's a dedicated musou community on Era, but if no one minds I will handle the OT. I've made several over the years so making one is no issue, just want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes or if there's someone with more knowledge on this specific series than me that's interested.
Awesome! I'll see you in there.