• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, that is an incredibly subjective take there. Just driving pass one person.

It's funny you mention Washington though. I visited SF and Seattle earlier this year and thought Seattle felt way worse than SF.
Its backed by statistical evidence, the problem is very big there in a way abnormal even relative to other large cities.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
But it's not the "one solution to fix all" that some people keep making it out to be. That's simply sweeping these people under the rug.

Oh, I agree that it's not a one size fits all solution but it is a very important first step. House them while they start treatment for mental issues or substances abuse, if they have them. It's hard to get them treatment while they are still on the street. It doesn't work very well.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
It's more complicated than that. Homelessness is a matrix of mental and physical illness, addiction, poverty and crime - cycles that feed each other. Cities keep looking for magical solutions and corporate grifters smell development dollars. No single city has yet admit that the problem isn't some weird idealized single mom just trying to get a roof over her kids' heads (she's real enough but also the emotional appeal) and rolled up its sleeves to address complexity. In Seattle you'd think halfmillion dollar condos with no parking were the secret recipe for success. Meanwhile our PD is under a consent decree and has impeded its own ability to attack the drug markets happening in plain sight - and instead revives overdose victims on a literally daily basis. And the blame is shifted to an Amazon couple for buying a single family home.

It's fucking complicated and if we don't immediately begin triage then it's going to bleed out terminally.

Thank you. I see people blaming this on nimbys and lack of housing all the time.

Lack of housing is only a small part of the issue. Building more houses won't solve the issue at all by itself.

The west coast has a bigger issue because we allow public camping and have a hands off approach to drugs and prosecuting homeless. We basically welcome these people to be homeless and the people themselves could give a shit less if we built more housing. They'd sell everything for the next fix.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
As someone who lives in SF... Have none of you mfs been to New York, Seattle, or LA, all of which are 2-8x worse?

Having been to both SF and NYC a bunch of times, it seems way worse in SF due to it being a smaller city.

Surprisingly I don't see many homeless people here in Chicago unless I go to certain spots. Not sure why that is.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The west coast has a bigger issue because we allow public camping and have a hands off approach to drugs and prosecuting homeless. We basically welcome these people to be homeless and the people themselves could give a shit less if we built more housing. They'd sell everything for the next fix.

You'd rather them be in prisons instead of getting help? Giving them housing makes treatment much easier.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I'm not American and don't live in the US but all I've heard about Sam Francisco is how many homeless people there are, how expensive the rent is, and how bad the pizza is.

It's a city with serious problems, but it's also beautiful, easy to navigate, has a lot of stuff to see and do, and has a lot of important history. There are worse places to visit.

Oct 27, 2017
There are tunnels underneath Las Vegas that homeless sleep in during the hot months. https://youtu.be/DwoUY67CMcg

Also you sort of have to live here daily to really get how bad it's become for San Francisco. Literally every day I see some shit going outside whether that's drug shooting up or literally human feces

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it's one of the most progressive cities in the country? How does that work?

SF homeless issues are self-inflicted. It's nearly impossible to build more there. We know the solution, build more and provide homes. But SF doesn't want to because they are hamstrung by NIMBYs.

None of this has to do with businesses. Hong Kong is denser. It's doable, but the city wants to keep its "character".
The housing policies are not progressive.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seattle and SF's homelessness is a problem for sure. Housing is way too expensive. SF especially has a large population of drug addicts and people with mental disability in the streets.
How much is SF homeless problems due to inaccessibility of housing due to living expenses? Is there a sizable portion of its homelessness population coherent, mentally sound, and non addicted?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Here are the actual numbers for reference.

2018_12_20_Forbes_Homeless_People.jpg

I'm not buying this.

There must be more than 550 thousand homeless.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Having been to both SF and NYC a bunch of times, it seems way worse in SF due to it being a smaller city.

Surprisingly I don't see many homeless people here in Chicago unless I go to certain spots. Not sure why that is.

I found that Chicago is much more segregated than other large cities, and there's murderous cold for a good portion of the year

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
California, is nice to the homeless,
Califor nia nia, is super cool to the homeless,

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, I think the problem seems far worse in SF because it's relatively small.

I've worked in both SF and LA. I'm sure I saw homeless people in LA but I don't remember it being super common, and any homeless people I did encounter seemed like they were just going about their day. In SF it was extremely common to encounter people on BART who had recently pissed or defecated themselves, or who were belligerent, and seeing people seemingly passed out on the sidewalk was a very common site. I know Skid Row is notoriously bad but I never had a reason to go there. In San Francisco it's hard to go anywhere without encountering homeless people.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I found that Chicago is much more segregated than other large cities, and there's murderous cold for a good portion of the year

Chicago is depressingly segragated. Still, even when I'm in the roughest parts of the southside I don't see many homeless people.

I wouldn't doubt the cold is part of the reason but the likes of Toronto and NYC seem to have their fair share.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all should see Vancouver. Not as bad as SF but the city practically encourages homelessness at this point.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
As someone who lived in NYC, moved to SF for 3 years, and then moved to back to SF, i see SF as WAY worse.

Luckily we don't need personal anecdotes. We can look at figures. SF is a disgrace.
Are you talking about the figures like NYC having 78k homeless and SF only having 6,800, less than 1/10th as many? Because that's a figure you should probably should have known before you posted this.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I thought other cities shipped their homeless to hawaii? or has that changed recently?
they're still shipping homeless to hawaii for sure. There're more and more homeless people everywhere, I can't even go to some of my favorite beaches or park anymore due to safety concern

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Some reasons why the optics are more striking in SF than in NYC.

"A perhaps more startling fact included in the study by the business-oriented Bay Area Council is this: 67 percent of the homeless people in the Bay Area are unsheltered, compared to 26 percent in Chicago metro, 16 percent in Denver, 15 percent in Washington, D.C. metro and 5 percent in New York City. "

"In some places on the East Coast, people are forced to go into shelters and aren't allowed to sleep in public spaces, while in New York, people actually have a legal right to shelter. This is due to a law passed in the 1980s that forced the city and state to provide shelter beds to all New Yorkers who are homeless by 'reason of physical, mental, or social dysfunction.'"

SFGate Article

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
The only place in US I've been to that I actually felt uncomfortable walking on the streets. Literally groups of 30-40 roaming the streets.

As bad as it is in LA, I've never seen this living here 20+ years.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
My habitual running path (a straight line...lol) takes me past a homeless camp. The entire sidewalk for the whole block is covered so I gotta go into the street.

San Francisco's local politics around housing and homelessness is absolutely fucked.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
The only place in US I've been to that I actually felt uncomfortable walking on the streets. Literally groups of 30-40 roaming the streets.

Maybe not right by the touristy part but you can definitely see a a group that big in DTLA.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Are you talking about the figures like NYC having 78k homeless and SF only having 6,800, less than 1/10th as many? Because that's a figure you should probably should have known before you posted this.
I am aware of that posted earlier.
1 outdated metric that is useless on its own. The current numbers are 9700 for SF and 58000 for NYC. Of course, NYC is many multiples a larger land area than SF, and of course the population difference, and of course NYC prosecutes public drug use, and of course NYC provides proper housing for homeless or they would all die in the winter, or the fact SFs homelessness is increasing 30% a year, whereas NYC is steadily coming down.

But yes, your anecdote is very compelling.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I am aware of that posted earlier.

1 outdated metric that is useless on its own. The current numbers are 9700 for SF and 58000 for NYC. Of course, NYC is many multiples a larger land area than SF, and of course the population difference, and of course NYC prosecutes public drug use, and of course NYC provides proper housing for homeless or they would all die in the winter, or the fact SFs homelessness is increasing 30% a year, whereas NYC is steadily coming down.

But yes, your anecdote is very compelling.
Nobody is sharing anecdotes except literally you, saying "As someone who lived in NYC, moved to SF for 3 years, and then moved to back to SF, i see SF as WAY worse." I'm posting numbers: SF has 145 homeless people per square mile and NYC has 257, based on the numbers posted in this thread, and that's a big fucking difference. No idea where you're getting "current" numbers - I'm getting 8,011 for SF from ABC, and 62,000 for NYC from Coalition for the Homeless. I'm sure that brings it more to a comparable level, but that still makes "I see SF as WAY worse," something YOU POSTED WHILE COMPLAINING ABOUT ANECDOTES, pretty laughable.

Not knowing what you're talking about, not providing citations, and still acting like a smug jerk in the process is a pretty toxic brew. I recommend knocking it off.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But it's one of the most progressive cities in the country? How does that work?

SF homeless issues are self-inflicted. It's nearly impossible to build more there. We know the solution, build more and provide homes. But SF doesn't want to because they are hamstrung by NIMBYs.

None of this has to do with businesses. Hong Kong is denser. It's doable, but the city wants to keep its "character".
Just because people are "progressive" doesn't mean they're not selfish assholes. San Fran is a testiment to that in many ways. There's a lot of very well to do, traditional wealthy people that are progressive in voting/politics etc. As long as it doesn't cost them anything directly.

But it's also just the way it is. It's in our nature to want more for ourselves, to progress and grow our own wealth. At least I think so. Most people desire more, and it drives them.

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Nobody is sharing anecdotes except literally you, saying "As someone who lived in NYC, moved to SF for 3 years, and then moved to back to SF, i see SF as WAY worse." I'm posting numbers: SF has 145 homeless people per square mile and NYC has 257, based on the numbers posted in this thread, and that's a big fucking difference. No idea where you're getting "current" numbers - I'm getting 8,011 for SF from ABC, and 62,000 for NYC from Coalition for the Homeless. I'm sure that brings it more to a comparable level, but that still makes "I see SF as WAY worse," something YOU POSTED WHILE COMPLAINING ABOUT ANECDOTES, pretty laughable.

Not knowing what you're talking about, not providing citations, and still acting like a smug jerk in the process is a pretty toxic brew. I recommend knocking it off.
Even if NYC does have a higher number per capita, there are still more homeless shelters there, right?

I think in general, it's probably more hidden in NYC since homeless people are spread out in certain boroughs. In SF it's more out in the open, and the downtown area is definitely more heavily concentrated.

However, I agree that comparing stories doesn't really mater. Ultimately, CA has to step up its laws regarding helping lower-socioeconomic people at risk of homelessness, then pass that down to cities and counties -- which are doing their hardest to ignore those kinds of laws. I think Huntington Beach was kinda the poster child of this recently.

In many.

SF spends tons of money on homeless services:

They also have a lottery system for their top public schools, to ensure lower income students have a shot at the better districts.

People confuse SF government with SV and Startup culture. Look up at the initiatives that the SF government has worked on and passed--they boosted minimum wage way before many other states and cities started doing so.

SF is not conservative by any major metric. They tend to lead the way in progressive legislation.
I feel like SF had to propose the higher minimum wage because of how badly skewed the wage issue was there. However, even $15 doesn't help. :/

Here are the actual numbers for reference.

2018_12_20_Forbes_Homeless_People.jpg
Those number are higher now. :(

I'm not buying this.

There must be more than 550 thousand homeless.
These are estimates. It's really hard to count people without a stable address.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I've lived in SF for 4 years, and yeah its bad. SF in general isn't a great place to live, most people are only here because of tech money.

It's the only place where you have to watch out for your dog so he/she won't step on human shit.

Jan 2, 2018
I think it's a US problem is general. We talk about the cities because it's most visible, but it's a nation wide epidemic.

As stated in this thread it's mostly due to mental problems, but also because there are no social securities.

When cities are sending their homeless away to other cities it's not solving the core issue.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
These are staggering statistics all throughout this thread, whether they're outdated or not -- even just imagining that things have worsened significantly since the beginning of 2018 is a bit alarming.

San Francisco in particular doesn't seem all that difficult to imagine considering the ravaging that Silicon Valley business has steadily doled out for an extended number of years now.

My own city is a fraction of the population and geographic size and homelessness is very visible issue here, too. I don't know what the numbers are, but I can't go anywhere in this town without seeing a sign of it anymore.

I always feel like crying bullshit any time I see economic strength touted... Gig economy is creeping into most urban settings and it's fucking ruining shit everywhere, not to mention the huge swaths of folks that never bounced back from massive economic shifts that occurred in the mid-2000's and beyond. "Good news" when poverty is this visible is the clearest sign I know this shit is rigged.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

The majority of the those homeless people aren't going to bother you. I've walked around in SF alone after 2am and never had any problems. Maybe get asked for some change

Nov 7, 2017
The majority of the those homeless people aren't going to bother you. I've walked around in SF alone after 2am and never had any problems. Maybe get asked for some change
I've only been uncomfortable walking around the TL and the Mission (at night by myself) but even at night if you're in a group the homeless won't give two shits except to ask for some change.....then again I really don't hang around that area or downtown SF that much.

Also I've been the dude that would walk around at night in Carol City and Overtown (pretty dangerous neighborhoods in Miami where you can actually get killed minding your own business).