• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from San Francisco and just a few minutes driving into the city there was literally a half naked girl wearing a thong ass up in the air passed out in the middle of the sidewalk and no one cared and just stepped over her. I thought the homeless problem was bad up here in Washington but I never seen anything like that.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
I'm not American and don't live in the US but all I've heard about Sam Francisco is how many homeless people there are, how expensive the rent is, and how bad the pizza is.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
SF always sounds like some capitalist hellhole
But it's one of the most progressive cities in the country? How does that work?

SF homeless issues are self-inflicted. It's nearly impossible to build more there. We know the solution, build more and provide homes. But SF doesn't want to because they are hamstrung by NIMBYs.

None of this has to do with businesses. Hong Kong is denser. It's doable, but the city wants to keep its "character".

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not American and don't live in the US but all I've heard about Sam Francisco is how many homeless people there are, how expensive the rent is, and how bad the pizza is.

It's also a gorgeous city, one of the prettiest in the nation. It's got a reputation for that as well. But that's probably why so many of the other problems persist. For like an entire generation, San Fransisco was seen as a destination city for many wealthy people.

It was also at one point basically the gay capital of the nation, although that distinction is sort of fading.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018

SF homeless issues are self-inflicted. It's nearly impossible to build more there. We know the solution, build more and provide homes. But SF doesn't want to because they are hamstrung by NIMBYs.

SF Liberalism: "Hey, let's destroy the economy through gig-work, and destroy society through social media."

"..."

"But we love gay people"

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Seattle and SF's homelessness is a problem for sure. Housing is way too expensive. SF especially has a large population of drug addicts and people with mental disability in the streets.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

None of this has to do with businesses. Hong Kong is denser. It's doable, but the city wants to keep its "character".
Progressive in terms of what metric? Some of the so-called "progressive" places in the US are also the most segregated. Usually where rich white "liberals" reside, and SF is the poster child of that.

Not American, FYI.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle and SF's homelessness is a problem for sure. Housing is way too expensive. SF especially has a large population of drug addicts and people with mental disability in the streets.

the vast, vast majority of the entire country's homeless population is mentally ill. That's the dirty secret about America. We don't really have facilities for the mentally ill, certainly not free ones. Like in the entire state of Texas, there is only two (or maybe it's one now) mental hospital. For parents of mentally ill individuals, what normally happens is once that individual becomes an adult, the parents spend the rest of their lives hand cuffed to them until they either die or can't bare it anymore, and in the long run, those mentally ill people wind up on the streets. I used to office in down town Houston and would give money to the same homeless people every day, and the vast majority of them were very obviously mentally ill. I'd even had people flip out on me while I was giving them money. It's pretty heart breaking.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Progressive in terms of what metric? Some of the so-called "progressive" places in the US are also the most segregated. Usually where rich white "liberals" reside, and SF is the poster child of that.

Not American, FYI.
In many.

SF spends tons of money on homeless services:

They also have a lottery system for their top public schools, to ensure lower income students have a shot at the better districts.

People confuse SF government with SV and Startup culture. Look up at the initiatives that the SF government has worked on and passed--they boosted minimum wage way before many other states and cities started doing so.

SF is not conservative by any major metric. They tend to lead the way in progressive legislation.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Progressive, yet will scream NIMBY! at the mention of creating new affordable housing in the city.
It is "nearly impossible" because of this.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
SF's homeless problem is so massive it made me hate the city. They are everywhere and it is so depressing that I don't even like going to SF. I have never seen so many homeless people ever in any other city. The gap between the haves and have nots is so massive in SF now I really don't know how you fix it.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In many.

SF spends tons of money on homeless services:

They also have a lottery system for their top public schools, to ensure lower income students have a shot at the better districts.

People confuse SF government with SV and Startup culture. Look up at the initiatives that the SF government has worked on and passed--they boosted minimum wage way before many other states and cities started doing so.

SF is not conservative by any major metric.
I never said it was conservative, but touting it as the beacon of progressivism in the US is silly. It's very much garden variety liberalism.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to SF but I was surprised at how bad things were in Seattle when I visited

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I never said it was conservative, but touting it as the beacon of progressivism in the US is silly. It's very much garden variety liberalism.
The factors at play with the homeless crisis are more complex to call it garden variety liberalism. SF spends tons of money on social services.

The biggest obstacle is to defang the NIMBYs.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
OP, that is an incredibly subjective take there. Just driving pass one person.

It's funny you mention Washington though. I visited SF and Seattle earlier this year and thought Seattle felt way worse than SF.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
OP, that is an incredibly subjective take there. Just driving pass one person.

It's funny you mention Washington though. I visited SF and Seattle earlier this year and thought Seattle felt way worse than SF.
There are lots of homeless here for sure but you mostly see them in tents or sleeping in sleeping bags etc. Never seen homeless that were nearly naked passed out in the middle of a busy sidewalk where people just step over you.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The first time I visited SF I was honestly speechless from how bad the homelessness problem was.

You have people like the Giant Bomb crew talking like LA is some dystopian nightmare compared to SF. Homelessness is a huge growing problem in LA but SF is truly on another level. It's truly unbelievable how bad things have gotten. Until the city can relinquish the stranglehold the NIMBYS and tech companies have on it its only going to get worse.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Roughly 1% of SF's population is homeless. They should be aiming to reduce that number 10x. For comparison NYC is at .75% (although the NYC homeless population makes up 15% of the total US homeless population) and Hong Kong is at .015%.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Other cities have literally shipped their homeless to SF.

What's the actual story on this??
How strange.

Won't lie, my trip to LA was made slightly depressing when it came to this. So many homeless, streets smell like piss (some like shit) and a number of anti-homeless measures (no public washrooms, spikes on flat surfaces).

It's terrible and so little seems to be changing against it getting worse....

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I went to Chicago about a year ago and every corner, there was a homeless person or group of them. Really sad.

Is it like 10x worse there? That's what I imagine when ppl talk about sf homelessness.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
I went to Chicago about a year ago and every corner, there was a homeless person or group of them. Really sad.

Is it like 10x worse there? That's what I imagine when ppl talk about sf homelessness.
Not sure about Chicago but I lived in NYC and a bunch of other places on the east coast and the west coast is definitely worse than any place I've lived there in terms of homelessness.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks, last time I was there I saw homeless people injecting heroin at 10am in broad daylight on the sidewalk, no one cared

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the vast, vast majority of the entire country's homeless population is mentally ill. That's the dirty secret about America. We don't really have facilities for the mentally ill, certainly not free ones. Like in the entire state of Texas, there is only two (or maybe it's one now) mental hospital. For parents of mentally ill individuals, what normally happens is once that individual becomes an adult, the parents spend the rest of their lives hand cuffed to them until they either die or can't bare it anymore, and in the long run, those mentally ill people wind up on the streets. I used to office in down town Houston and would give money to the same homeless people every day, and the vast majority of them were very obviously mentally ill. I'd even had people flip out on me while I was giving them money. It's pretty heart breaking.
My parents used to bitch about Reagan closing the asylums and dumping mentally ill people on the streets without support. But could America in 2019 go back to a system of institutionalizing people for mental health reasons? For lack of a better word, I feel like we're too "woke" for that.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Here are the actual numbers for reference.

2018_12_20_Forbes_Homeless_People.jpg

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents used to bitch about Reagan closing the asylums and dumping mentally ill people on the streets without support. But could America in 2019 go back to a system of institutionalizing people for mental health reasons? For lack of a better word, I feel like we're too "woke" for that.

I think there is a gulf of difference between the type of people and treatment we are talking about. I'm not really saying we need to lock up the mentally ill in chambers and keep them in cages. I'm talking about facilities to care for people who literally cannot on their own. Like, a place to provide housing for them, medication, etc, without literally being locked away. We have nothing like that in America, no programs for the mentally ill. What I'm saying is coming from a book I read about a woman who was murdered by her deeply autistic 40 year old son who left a diary for people to explain her life and plead for her son to not wind up, essentially, in prison. She had worked her entire life to keep him out of "mental facilities" because they are secretly prisons for the mentally ill, and had become a slave to her autistic son's schedule. She had to tip toe around things that might accidentally set him off, and knew for a long time that she'd probably eventually be killed by him, hence her diary to be found in case of death. She advocated for reform in her diary, saying we needed facilities that were more half-way house and less prison.

Because the alternative is them living on the streets, not being able to afford their meds, or much more likely, going to literal jail.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
SF Liberalism: "Hey, let's destroy the economy through gig-work, and destroy society through social media."

"..."

"But we love gay people"

I'm now of the opinion Silicon Valley has always just been pure libertarian, it just so happened Democratic goals aligned up with theirs until 2016

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
SF always sounds like some capitalist hellhole

It's like those capitalist hellholes envisioned in 80's sci-fi, only the authors had no idea that it would come with a pretty facade and a ridiculous ruthlessness even they couldn't predict.

They also eat crab cold with no seasoning. I've seen it.

Dec 22, 2017

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
I've read about this problem in SF but recent video from famous Russian travel bloggger was shocking even for me. Homeless persons doing drugs right in city center, WTF?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I went for the first time last month and yeah, was utterly shocked at some of what I saw. Even compared to other big cities in the country it was something else to see.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went there for GDC a year ago and the stories did not prepare me for what I saw. It's worse than (parts of) downtown Vancouver.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
When I went to SF a year ago I was shocked at the homelessness and how families will go to a beautiful park while homeless individuals roam around. I had to watch every step on the sidewalk while commuting.

It's saddening.