• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sanders campaign has hired Darius Khalil Gordon as Deputy Director of Constituency Organizing.

Gordon's Twitter has a long history of using a variety of slurs, none of which I want to type out myself. But they include wildly offensive anti-Semitic tropes, ableism, homophobic rhetoric and more. It's pretty disturbing stuff and it looks like Gordon's taken to deleting and hiding some of these tweets now.

This isn't the first time the Sanders Campaign has failed to vet staffers and has thusly hired homophobic, racist and incredibly problematic staff.

*EDIT* Update: He's been fired.

www.cnn.com

Bernie Sanders campaign parts ways with staffer after report of homophobic and anti-Semitic tweets | CNN Politics

Bernie Sanders' campaign has parted ways with a newly hired staffer after a conservative website unearthed a series of tweets allegedly from the staffer that contained anti-Semitic and homophobic language.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, they were worse than i thought, and 3 times as stupid

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
What a joke of a vetting process. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have caught that immediately.

This guy needs to get tossed out at once.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't delete the tweets, he nuked the whole account

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well now that light has been shone on this, perhaps the campaign will take appropriate steps. Employers should really do social media search for what is publicly available.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously this is not ok behavior. However, since the Tweets seem to be from 2010, I'm hoping he was young at that point and has grown since then and no longer holds those beliefs. Beyond that, why the hell do people seeking public positions not delete their Twitter history? It seems like these situations happen almost weekly now.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'd be willing to humour a "these were a decade ago and I've changed" thing if he wasn't trying to delete them. That just shows where his priorities are.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Those tweets are nearly a decade old. How old is this person? I don't love judging an adult for being an idiot as a kid....but I legitimately don't know if that's the case here.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't this happen to another of his previous hires? It is odd that they didn't then adjust to check social media before finalizing new campaign staff.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a Deputy Director of Constituency Organizing would be high up enough to really vet, but I do not know their staff structure.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Doesnt excuse the tweets. But im certain anyone who was using twitter around that time were probally all on some juvenile shit. I absolutely know I was.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to humour a "these were a decade ago and I've changed" thing if he wasn't trying to delete them. That just shows where his priorities are.
Not defending what's written in those tweets, but you are fucked whether you try to delete them or leave them up. There's no winning in that situation.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
How old was the person who wrote that vile shit? Also, why didn't you vet them better? Young people shouldn't be judged solely on tweets from when they were young, but if you know the guy/gal said something that horrible, when you hire them you should demand they release a statement explaining themselves. Or just dont hire them.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that's bad, wtf. Also, how old is he? Was that one post talking shit to Junior High kids?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the language, it's the sentiments they express, which are far, far worse and not the sort of thing you magically grow out of unless you're forced to confront them.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Those are old tweets, and I'd be interested in knowing how old this guy was then.

But I also know that "this is old" is generally not taken as an excuse when talking about other people in every spectrum of discussion, political or otherwise...so there's that. Maybe the campaign will address it? Who knows.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from this whole situation, there must be an issue with the screening process because we keep seeing this happening over and over. Firms whose entire business model, charging hundreds if not thousands of dollars for their vetting services, fail over and over again.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand how seemingly everyone fails to do basic vetting. It's flabbergasting.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not defending what's written in those tweets, but you are fucked whether you try to delete them or leave them up. There's no winning in that situation.
Yep, regardless and honestly im more like are they saying this shit today and not when they were being a turd in highschool at the early beginnings of twitter when no one knew the ramifications of it.

Overall, At least should address it as "nothing excuses what i said at that age, but i am not that same person anymore." because I know I was a turd at HS age.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet he didn't even remember that stuff. I have a friend who lost her job due to 8 year old tweets about smoking weed and bitch ass hoes she posted in high school, to an account she hadn't even logged into in years.

Not defending what's there, but that's probably why that stuff was still up rather than deleted. Hopefully the staffer was a kid when he did it and he's completely changed, if not fire his ass.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Staffer 1: Think we should check his twitter account just to be sure?

Staffer 2: NAH - it will be fine this day and age, nobody on twitter checks past tweets

Staffer 1: Sounds good, lets do this

Also, I really don't think it has some deeper meaning beyond poor vetting unless they keep him around.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the fact he is trash talking a Jr high school in one of the tweets, he's either young teens in those or a very weird older person.

If he was extremely young, I can see a bit of lenience, but still, just like, search your hires shit for common words at the very least. And a good reminder to keep dumbass kids off social media.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I dunno, I think confronting it with a genuine acknowledgement that they were fucked up a pointing out what would hopefully be existing evidence of having improved as a person would sate most of the people coming at this in good faith.

But that's basically a pointless hypothetical now, since that's not what happened. This guy tried to hide it, which to me, whilst I guess not necessarily proof that the growth hasn't happened, definitely shows that he has the absolute wrong attitude as to how to deal with this stuff, and should not be part of anyone's campaign staff. His actions have cemented that, yeah, he's still pretty shitty in this respect.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It doesn't matter how old he was, if he doesn't apologize for them and instead chooses to delete them then it's still a problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The Sanders campaign has hired Darius Khalil Gordon as Deputy Director of Constituency Organizing.

Gordon's Twitter has a long history of using a variety of slurs, none of which I want to type out myself. But they include wildly offensive anti-Semitic tropes, ableism, homophobic rhetoric and more. It's pretty disturbing stuff and it looks like Gordon's taken to deleting and hiding some of these tweets now.

This isn't the first time the Sanders Campaign has failed to vet staffers and has thusly hired homophobic, racist and incredibly problematic staff.

Who is in charge of vetting his staff? good lord

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, these are really fucking bad tweets. OMG
On the other hand, they're from 8-10 years ago.
On the other other hand, are there any signs that the dude has changed and made amends for those?
On the other other other hand, I'm skeptical of Twitter accounts like the one this comes from. Looking at what she tweets, she seems overzealous in her Sanders/"Berniebro"-bashing, and, in the name of feminism and destroying the patriarchy, seems to be fine with every female candidate no matter how shady or milquetoast they might be as Democrats. Like, she'll tweet about Hillary Clinton supposedly destroying Bernie, or Kamala Harris running again next election, or Warren running laps around everyone else. Like, yeah, criticize Sanders and his staff for having an awful vetting process, they deserve it, but let's not act like the alternatives are your left-wing saviors either. But what do I know, I'm not American. Feel free to school me if I'm oversimplifying things.
On the final hand... I don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
Not as bad as that video editor they hired and immediately fired a month or two back who made a racist MLK Jr video

Vetting should not be this hard

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
If you're about to get out of college and are applying for jobs, nuke your social media.

I've seen a lot of edgy posts from vetting people.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those tweets are nearly a decade old. How old is this person? I don't love judging an adult for being an idiot as a kid....but I legitimately don't know if that's the case here.
I'm fine with forgiving youthful indiscretions but there are plenty of qualified candidates who didn't throw those terms around and that's a perfectly good reason to hire them instead- all things being equal- but his inept reaction shows incompetence as well as a history of basically every hatred you can think of.

and to be honest I think it's a deep sign of a serious character flaw rather than a couple of misguided tweets.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are old tweets, and I'd be interested in knowing how old this guy was then.

But I also know that "this is old" is generally not taken as an excuse when talking about other people in every spectrum of discussion, political or otherwise...so there's that. Maybe the campaign will address it? Who knows.
How old the tweets are is a relevant detail depending on how old he was at the time. If he was a minor then it's a very different scenario than if he was, say, 25.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Bernie continuously surrounds himself with absolutely horrible people.

This should be a gigantic warning sign to anyone who supports him.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on how old he was when he wrote those tweets.
I think it would be better to not hire someone with such a hateful and disturbing social media history especially when the campaign has done this before, fairly recently. Why not err on the side of someone who doesn't have a trail of slurs behind them?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I don't understand how seemingly everyone fails to do basic vetting. It's flabbergasting.
Most standard vetting processes only go back 5 years or so when it comes to social media, a lot of these tweets are almost a decade old.

It's not an excuse, but that's probably how he slipped by.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
On the other other other hand, I'm skeptical of Twitter accounts like the one this comes from. Looking at what she tweets, she seems overzealous in her Sanders/"Berniebro"-bashing, and, in the name of feminism and destroying the patriarchy, seems to be fine with every female candidate no matter how shady or milquetoast they might be as Democrats. Like, she'll tweet about Hillary Clinton supposedly destroying Bernie, or Kamala Harris running again next election, or Warren running laps around everyone else. Like, yeah, criticize Sanders and his staff for having an awful vetting process, they deserve it, but let's not act like the alternatives are your left-wing saviors either. But what do I know, I'm not American. Feel free to school me if I'm oversimplifying things.
On the final hand... I don't know.

Also it looks like the original source is the Washington Free Beacon, a right-wing paper.