• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Given the guy has been fired already, not sure what's left to discuss. So here's a lock.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
This thread was originally locked in part because members were beginning to ramp up attacks against each other. The staffer in question was promptly fired, but there is still room for discussion. If the thread takes the same turn and the hostilities ramp up again, it will be locked and users actioned.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
idk i feel working on social justice issues for the past decade while having not tweeted anything resembling his tweets in 2010 is a more powerful show of growth and change than just words
but it is "on us" to establish standards of what people can make amends for, to decide as people what is and isn't forgivable, and to provide them with an opportunity to change as people. I firmly believe that. I don't know this dude, and maybe he's not what he seems, but the biography that was posted earlier seems to indicate that he's a good dude who's firmly on "the right side" at this point in his life.

I'm so tired of watching people get dragged over shit from a decade ago. just because the internet never moves on doesn't mean we can't.

that might be true - I don't know. based on the work this guy's done in the past few years, he seems to be a pretty special individual who's very committed to various social justice causes. I don't know how many people have that body of work and none of the baggage (and also want to work on a presidential campaign).

but the point still remains. at some point, my personal belief is that we ought to give people opportunities to let that baggage go. if we do not allow people to mature, if we do not believe in rehabilitation and reconciliation, we are not believers in restorative justice. (which I think must be believed by anyone who wants any claim to the label "progressive")

they should have brought this dude out and had him say what he's done with his life, how he's not a stupid kid making stupid kid tweets anymore, that he understands "delete your account" isn't a joke sometimes, and that he's truly sorry to have said those things and he hopes to make more positive change in the world and encourage kids to not say shit like that. instead, we just toss him in the garbage. "lol learn to delete your twitter history", and, with that, another promising leftist of color is knocked down a few rungs on the ladder.

it sucks. I hate it.
I think he absolutely might have changed. I also think he absolutely needs to specifically clarify and apologize to the people he was obviously offensive to.

Working on several social causes, some of which don't relate to all the awful things he said, is not proof he thinks he was wrong at the time to have used slurs.

I'm not gonna type a slur about one group, then go work on a cause for an unrelated group years later and think we are all clear and I don't need to address my use of the slur as an adult college graduate.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I was a Republican at 22. Sure, i knew better to use those words, but his homelife and friend group may not have been a positive influence for hom. we gotta let people grow and learn from mistakes they made almost 10 years ago.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Glad they fired that dude in record time. But of course...im not gonna say that people are always supposed to be looking through people's twitter history in order to do a specific job.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they fired that dude in record time. But of course...im not gonna say that people are always supposed to be looking through people's twitter history in order to do a specific job.

Why are you glad personally? I didn't look into it ridiculously deep, but has he expressed bigoted views or said anything recently? Or just stuff from 2010?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Why are you glad personally? I didn't look into it ridiculously deep, but has he expressed bigoted views or said anything recently? Or just stuff from 2010?

Because if he's not fired instantly, people, many with ulterior motives, will start writing articles/comments saying these are the views of Bernie Sanders even although they are, or were, the views of the individual. The Twitter account linked in the OP is almost obsessed beyond the point of belief with going after Bernie Sanders. It reminds me of Rachel Riley in the UK with Jeremy Corbyn.

Once you fuck up on social media in an election campaign, you don't get saved. You get dealt with quickly and the campaign goes on.

This is why profile checking of social media accounts is a must when hiring. Your intentions/interview of the person matter fuck all if it's found out they have said shitty things, or still say/believe said shitty things.

The guy seems on paper to have done some good things in politics, but his response to this seems to just be deleting his whole Twitter account, which isn't an apology or something to even try and redeem. As what is probably a pretty expendable position in the Sanders campaign staff, getting someone else and disavowing his old comments is really the only move you can do.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

i havent looked into it deeply myself. but if someone is a bigot then they should be fired because it obviously reflects badly on the campaign. of course if they have previously disavowed old statements and are clearly not that person any more that's different, but its still something liable to be taken out of context by people with a clear axe to grind.

I mean look at Cenk...he clearly has changed from his days as an asshole conservative, but he's still shamed by centrists and right wingers alike because of his old statements and its an actual valid attack against him because all he can do is say that he's changed, and it doesnt matter if he actually has(which by all indications he has) or he hasnt.

The Sanders campaign, which already has tons of biased attacks against them, will be absolutely attacked and smeared by having someone like this on staff just with a history, regardless of their stances on it now, that's not something they need.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The twitter account you linked in the OP heavily implies (like 7 or 8 different times on the front page, and the tweet in your OP) that Sanders shares these views. Do you agree with that?
Hey, I know we sorted this out over PM but I want to say for the record that no, I don't agree with that.

I thought this was newsworthy not only because of the vile tweets themselves but because this has happened before and recently with the campaign. If I had seen another source I would have used it. I'm not concerned that Sanders himself holds the positions of this now fired hire but I am concerned that the campaign isn't being nearly thorough enough in vetting its people. I'm glad they fired him so quickly, that was the right thing to do.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt Bernie is the one in charge of looking at people's Twitter histories... lol
Never said or thought he was. The candidate still has massive influence on what a campaign does and prioritizes. Checking social media histories is a widespread practice, but his campaign doesn't do it. If you think he has no influence on his campaign and how it operates then I'm not sure what to tell you.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I really doubt Bernie is the one in charge of looking at people's Twitter histories... lol
Most companies don't actually vet you. It's a scare tactic. Nothing more. I wouldn't be surprised if the "social media vetting process" wasn't some lowkey thing to see how attractive any would be candidates are.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Tweets are terrible, and glad the person was let go of.

Also, the twitter account that brought this up, from scanning their content, clearly has an agenda against the Sanders campaign. They seem to be trying to infer something around anti-semitism...trying to look for a way to upscale from a few unrelated cases.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Tweets are terrible, and glad the person was let go of.

Also, the twitter account that brought this up, from scanning their content, clearly has an agenda against the Sanders campaign. They seem to be trying to infer something around anti-semitism...trying to look for a way to upscale from a few unrelated cases.

That's an understatement. Going through that account and many of the accounts it retweets reminds me of what we call Red Tories in the UK. People who often want to bring back the likes of Tony Blair because of their hatred for Jeremy Corbyn and his policies which look to shake up what the left is going to represent. Basically liberals and Centrists who are comfortable enough in life and don't want the class system shaken up too much.

"I'm socially progressive but... Don't you be talking too much about taxation, wealth inequality and that pesky healthcare for all because I have healthcare through my job thank you very much".

Good luck America. The resistance from your own side to not stick to business as usual with the Democrats is a monster that is far more fierce than I imagined. Then again, the reason your country is soo far behind most in Europe is precisely because your own people don't really want change. They just want to go back to business as usual, but without Trump.