• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
theintercept.com

The Sanders Campaign Researched Whether Warren Could Be Both Vice President and Treasury Secretary at Once

The answer is yes, which could be unsettling news on Wall Street.

PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN of Sen. Bernie Sanders has researched the question of whether the same person can serve as both vice president and treasury secretary, according to three sources on the campaign. The person the Sanders campaign had in mind with the inquiry was Sen. Elizabeth Warren, his rival for the nomination and the bane of Wall Street over the last decade.

The answer the lawyers came back with was yes: There is nothing in the Constitution that bars the vice president from also serving as treasury secretary. Sanders has made no final decisions on a potential running mate or cabinet officers, considering such questions premature and presumptuous, but the research into the question of Warren's dual eligibility reflects the political affinity that has long existed between the two — an affinity that was dealt a setback over the past week

Setting aside the teen drama instigated by CNN I find this very interesting because this would be huge expansion of vp powers since Cheney. Regardless of who Sanders did pick would this move help him deal with a contested Congress?

Oct 27, 2017
Article title: THE SANDERS CAMPAIGN RESEARCHED WHETHER WARREN COULD BE BOTH VICE PRESIDENT AND TREASURY SECRETARY AT ONCE

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the VP even do much besides representative duties as long as the president is fine?

The vice chancellor in Germany is also a minister/secretary of a department and this has worked out fine.

Actually, would a ticket of 2 persons from the same political wing of the party be good or wouldn't it make sense to get someone from the other wing on board to consolidate?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That would be some serious power granted to the VP, but then again with Senate liking still staying Red in 2022 it would be good to have your right hand man be in charge of the money as well to make sure GOP fuckery doesn't continue into their term after the disastrous Trump admin.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Just make her Treasury Secretary then. There must be someone else he can find for VP. Sanders/Abrams ftw.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I can't tell if this is a joke

Does the VP even really do anything besides being the hypeman

It could be satire, but taking Warren's name out from the title when it does not fit the narrative that Sanders has it against Warren is quite telling.
I cant count how many times the "but Bernie wanted Warren to run in 16" was ignored in the other threads because of their inconvenience to the narrative.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if this is a joke

Does the VP even really do anything besides being the hypeman
They provide an abundance of finger guns.
ubdO4No.jpg

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I think the real barrier to this isn't that it's not legal, but that a VP probably doesn't want to also be another member of the cabinet.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can we push this instead of the feud? The sooner Warren drops out and joins forces with Bernie, the sooner they can take down that turd Biden.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Warren would be wasted in the VP slot. She needs a position where she can write, enact legislation, and/or be in control of a Department like Treasury.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what I'm taking from this is that Bernie wants Warren to have the superficial prestige of being VP but also would like her to have a more consequential role in his administration beyond being relegated to stuff like Biden Obama memes

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also see that Bernie's team has seen that Warren is actually a good strategic pick for VP despite the chorus of people shouting to the contrary. their coalitions are vastly different and they each do well with voters that the other struggles with. age would be the biggest concern if they decided to go this way considering he recently had a heart attack and I'm sure that's one of the key things republicans will bang on about.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Warren would be wasted in the VP slot. She needs a position where she can write, enact legislation, and/or be in control of a Department like Treasury.
It's why they're investigating whether she can do both like this post
what I'm taking from this is that Bernie wants Warren to have the superficial prestige of being VP but also would like her to have a more consequential role in his administration beyond being relegated to stuff like Biden Obama memes
He wants them to be a United front for progressive but he also wants to not be wasted being his hypeman or hypewoman i guess

Remember their bases are actually different in terms of demographic

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
now I got another thought

at the Convention; Bernie will be in 2nd place shy from Biden but if he can BROKER with the Warren camp to combine BOTH delegates count; The Totality of the combined delegates could overcome Joe Biden's count

so, now this makes more sense

okay, I get it

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Having Warren as his VP makes a lot of sense if Bernie is factoring his age in here. He obviously trusts Warren, feud or no feud, on a similar policy level and she could take over immediately and be prepared in case the worst happens.

Makes far more sense than people wanting shit like Nina Turner.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
this is only possible if Warren agrees to deal and broker her delegate count with Sanders at the Convention

but, they need a combined delegate count for it to work. Or else Joe Biden wins by crossing the finish line

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
How "male" of him to expect a woman to do twice the work for the same pay.
Bernie's supposed to work all day, while she watches the kids in the senate? She needs to contribute too.

Out of all the silly things I've seen in multiple threads none of them prepared me for pithy remarks this funny. Bless you guys.

Article title: THE SANDERS CAMPAIGN RESEARCHED WHETHER WARREN COULD BE BOTH VICE PRESIDENT AND TREASURY SECRETARY AT ONCE

It could be satire, but taking Warren's name out from the title when it does not fit the narrative that Sanders has it against Warren is quite telling.
I cant count how many times the "but Bernie wanted Warren to run in 16" was ignored in the other threads because of their inconvenience to the narrative.

The only thing that is telling is that you guys are ignorant to what goes on this forum.

This was posted 6 hours before I made this thread.

I basically reframed a topic previously posted to avoid the dumb shit that wasn't interesting about the linked article.

FYI I'm on the record in previous threads for saying Warren and Sanders don't need to be manipulated by this and that they both have my support even though Sanders is now my primary choice.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought Robert Reich would be considered. Regardless, all depends on his VP pick. I'm curious who's on his list.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The Senate is on too razor-thin a margin for Warren to leave it for any office other than the Presidency.

Warren (and, for that matter, Sanders) would be dreadful VP choices for that reason alone.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
VP might need to be more empowered this time around anyway. There won't be official cabinet secretaries if we don't take the Senate.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I think Sanders knows that he can't get the delegate count but he knows that he can cross over the finish line if he combines forces with Warren's totality of delegates at the convention.

I think he learned from 2016's math and now is making a reality check on what it takes to cross over the lines in terms of delegates.

Bernie needs Liz to combine delegates count.
Liz needs Bernie to combine delegates count.

that's the math.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
It's why they're investigating whether she can do both like this post

Why would Bernie assume she would want to both?

Doing two jobs is bull. VP on paper has only 2 duties- tie breaking and waiting to replace. But good VPs do hell of a lot foreign and domestic to carry out USA goals. Running the Treasury is not a part time job. Combining both under one person is under staffing both positions.

Sounds like Bernie want Warrens voters by offering her the VP on his ticket, but really wants her as Treasury. If Bernie wins the nom, I rather Warren stay in the Senate or be Treasurer- where she would have legislative power to do good.

VP is something either older people do at the end of their careers, or younger people get to build up resume (results may vary). This is not the end of Warren's career.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The Senate is on too razor-thin a margin for Warren to leave it for any office other than the Presidency.

Warren (and, for that matter, Sanders) would be dreadful VP choices for that reason alone.

Warren and sanders are from Massachusetts and Vermont respectively. Extremely unlikely a Republican could win with the way that party has backed Trump in 2020 and the next official election for both states would occur in 2024. The risk of flipping those seats red during their term is unlikely.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doing two jobs is bull. VP on paper has only 2 duties- tie breaking and waiting to replace. But good VPs do hell of a lot foreign and domestic to carry out USA goals. Running the Treasury is not a part time job. Combining both under one person is under staffing both positions.

Sounds like Bernie want Warrens voters by offering her the VP on his ticket, but really wants her as Treasury. If Bernie wins the nom, I rather Warren stay in the Senate or be Treasurer- where she would have legislative power to do good.

VP is something either older people do at the end of their careers, or younger people get to build up resume (results may vary). This is not the end of Warren's career.

1. He needs Warren on the ticket to win the primary.

2. Warren's one of the few people he trusts to actually take on Wall St. His biggest goal and campaign promise is based on this.

Making Warren the most powerful VP in history by also making her treasurer is basically putting her in charge of enacting the progressive vision of a new America and setting her up to take over after him. Basically co-president instead of just Vice President.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
1. He needs Warren on the ticket to win the primary.

And? You admiting giving her the VP would just be using her for her voters?

2. Warren's one of the few people he trusts to actually take on Wall St. His biggest goal and campaign promise is based on this.

Making Warren the most powerful VP in history by also making her treasurer is basically putting her in charge of enacting the progressive vision of a new America and setting her up to take over after him. Basically co-president instead of just Vice President.

As a progressive, I don't want that much power giving to anyone. Even Warren. And neither should you. Even if it would get you a win.

Either choose her as VP or Treasurer. There are plently of other VP choice Bernie could make.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think Warren is pertinent to the thread title though because I doubt Bernie's thinking here is that any VP he picks will also be Treasury Secretary. seems pretty specific to Warren. I know you're trying to avoid the shit show that's going on between their supporters but I sincerely doubt this kind of arrangement would be for anyone other than Warren.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That's not two jobs. That's one ceremonial position, and an actual job. Other VPs have done that stuff, because they have nothing better to do.