• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A political advocacy group founded by Bernie Sanders entered into a nondisclosure agreement with an African American political consultant that bars her from discussing a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination at the organization and the Vermont senator's 2016 presidential campaign.

The consultant, Tezlyn Figaro, confirmed the existence of the nondisclosure agreement to The Associated Press without providing additional details.

The deal is tied to a 2019 lawsuit in which Figaro said she was fired from the Sanders-created political group Our Revolution a year earlier due to her race and in "retaliation for complaining about the organization's treatment towards her and African-Americans." The lawsuit was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount of money. Though the lawsuit was aimed at Our Revolution, it included broad criticism of Sanders' campaign, arguing an all-white leadership staff "was accused of racism" by black staffers and failed to engage black voters.
Sanders has acknowledged the mistreatment of women and minorities who worked on his 2016 campaign, and his advisers say they've taken corrective measures for his second run. Now the front-runner for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, Sanders frequently says he is building a "multiracial, multi-generational movement" that will appeal to the broad coalition needed to win the primary and defeat President Donald Trump.

But legal experts say that argument could be undermined by a nondisclosure agreement that prevents a woman of color who has criticized Sanders' record on race from talking about her experience.

"Anyone running for the presidency should be accountable to the electorate, and we should have access to the full set of information," said Debra S. Katz, a prominent employment attorney in Washington who has donated to Elizabeth Warren's campaign. "If the allegations are about his campaign and running a racist operation, he should direct this organization to let her out of those non-disparagement obligations and talk about it."
Figaro confirmed the existence of the NDA but declined to comment further. Her attorney, Anthony J. Hall, said he could not comment on the terms of the settlement.

A spokesman for Our Revolution did not respond to multiple requests for comment. The Sanders campaign said it couldn't comment on the specifics of the case, arguing the campaign can't legally have insight into the activities of Our Revolution.

In a statement, Sanders campaign spokeswoman Sarah Ford said, "We oppose using NDAs to silence the victims of toxic workplace issues."

After his effort to win the 2016 Democratic nomination failed, Sanders founded Our Revolution to keep up the momentum from the campaign. The group has employed current and former Sanders presidential staffers but operates independently from his campaign, though it has raised millions of dollars to support his current bid.
She was brought on by former Our Revolution President Nina Turner, a top Sanders surrogate who is now national co-chair of his 2020 campaign. When Turner tried to make Figaro Our Revolution's chief of staff, board members objected.

Past comments Figaro made about immigration on Twitter and as a pundit on Fox News quickly surfaced and drew rebuke, with critics and some Our Revolution staffers saying that they were anti-immigrant.

"If AMERICAN black folks can go to jail when they break the law then certainly so can an illegal immigrant," she said in one tweet.

"U r being distracted abt ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS meanwhile more blacks are under prison/parole control in in 2010 than were enslaved in 1850," she wrote in another.

Figaro, who had long worked as a consultant to Turner, publicly apologized but was fired. Our Revolution was aware of her past comments when she was hired, according to her lawsuit. Turner didn't respond to a request for comment.
apnews.com

Sanders-linked group entered into racial discrimination NDA

WASHINGTON (AP) — A political advocacy group founded by Bernie Sanders entered into a nondisclosure agreement with an African American political consultant that bars her from discussing a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination at the organization and the Vermont senator's 2016 presidential campaign.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, not a good look, but hard to tell the substance of it. It's at least largely disconnected since it's with Our Revolution but it says there's some criticism of the campaign. Could be nothing of substance to Sanders himself, almost assuredly.

Still he may have to respond and/or the existence just looks kinda poor for him. Wonder if Bloomberg operatives pointed this out.

Last edited:

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Our Revolution's 501(c)(4) designation prevents Sanders from playing a role in the organization because he is an elected official."
So he wasn't directly involved in what this organization did (though I am choosing to assume he helped pick out people for the board based on who is on it).

Seems like a hitjob piece IMO.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"Our Revolution's 501(c)(4) designation prevents Sanders from playing a role in the organization because he is an elected official."
So he wasn't directly involved in what this organization did (though I am choosing to assume he helped pick out people for the board based on who is on it).

Seems like a hitjob piece IMO.
Yeah, I figured it was Our Revolution based on the title, and that Sanders legally can't be directly involved. So there isn't really much here.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not firing this woman earlier is the reason a lot of anti-Sanders people on this forum claim they hate Nina Turner by the way.

OP
OP
GrapeApes

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Bloomberg's team has been working overtime since that first debate.
You think Mike Bloomberg planted a story that was known at the time?
www.buzzfeednews.com

An Our Revolution Staffer Fired For “Anti-Immigrant” Remarks Is Suing The Pro-Bernie Group For Racial Discrimination

Tezlyn Figaro, who worked on black outreach for the Sanders group, was fired last spring after a public rift with Latinx colleagues over her comments about immigrants.
Not firing this woman earlier is the reason a lot of anti-Sanders people on this forum claim they hate Nina Turner by the way.
I'd imagine hiring her in the first place probably worse.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
APs next headline: Sanders-linked friend murdered 9 people

an absolute nothing burger if he cannot be involved with it. Just cause some of the people he has working under him are absolutely the opposite of what he's been fighting should not be tied to him.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet $5 we are going to see a "Bernie Sanders is Xbox Live pals with Louis Farrakhan" hit piece next week.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hit pieces on Bernie will be non-stop from now on.

The establishment corporate democrats are shitting themselves with fear.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Let's create a vote to guess whom will be the first candidate that will spin/dog whistle this story.
That should be fun. I'm guessing Buttigieg.

Jun 17, 2019
Why would they hire this woman in the first place? Seems like an absolute Ass given her tweets. Does no one vet these people on the campaign group? This isn't the first time this has happened either. They really need to comb through their people more thoroughly.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Why would they hire this woman in the first place? Seems like an absolute Ass given her tweets. Does no one vet these people on the campaign group? This isn't the first time this has happened either. They really need to comb through their people more thoroughly.

not vetting social media posts for high-level staffers seems to be something most candidates are bad at. i don't know why.

Feb 1, 2018
The media's attacks only make him stronger, it's Bernie's x-factor

Trump has it too, it's why a face off between them in 2020 would be historic

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Really buried the lede on that one, AP. 11 paragraphs before they get to the part where Sanders couldn't legally know the details, and 17 before we get to the anti-immigrant statements she made.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So rather than confronting the alleged racism in this group your first response is to attack Bloomberg for it based on tales from your ass?

Guess we know where your priorities are.

Paging Kirblar and the rest of the PoliEra gang whose main point of attack against Sanders/Turner is that Figaro wasn't fired quickly enough (or hired in the first place).

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Paging Kirblar and the rest of the PoliEra gang whose main point of attack against Sanders/Turner is that Figaro wasn't fired quickly enough (or hired in the first place).
yes, a lady who praised trump's leadership on the muslim ban and tweeted out "please #buildthewall" should never have been hired by a progressive organization in the first place. not sure why that's controversial or why the nda should change any of that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because she was Nina Turner's personal freind and Tuner valued that over "hey wait maybe someone going on Fox News to praise Trump for the Muslim Ban shouldn't be working at OUR ever!" Board members wanted her fired when they found out about the background and there was an internal standoff over the situation.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): antagonizing other users, history of the same behavior
yes, a lady who praised trump's leadership on the muslim ban and tweeted out "please #buildthewall" should never have been hired by a progressive organization in the first place. not sure why that's controversial or why the nda should change any of that.

I agree Figaro should never have been hired in the first place.

The argument the story and the poster I quoted are making is that Our Revolution (and by association, Sanders) is racist for firing Figaro.

Perhaps all the people calling for Sander's head for being allied with someone who didn't fire Figaro fast enough would like to chime in on these allegations of said firing being racist.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Insensitive commentary around race

this seems like a proxy issue and not a Bernie problem directly.

I don't hate Nina but she is just a terrible tv spokesperson- not to mention she keeps hiring dumpster fire pals.

A few times i watched her get hyper animated at Ridiculous or insulting questions and fight thunderously with pundits - but over the years I realized that's her default setting they should keep her off camera because she also gets combative and angry over really generic and milquetoast stuff. If she's a genius organizer just have her do that.

if Bernie wins this is going to become even more important because his campaign is going to have to reach other candidates folks and even what pathetic remnants of turnable gop voters stillexist

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't hate Nina but she is just a terrible tv spokesperson- not to mention she keeps hiring dumpster fire pals.

A few times i watched her get hyper animated at Ridiculous or insulting questions and fight thunderously with pundits - but over the years I realized that's her default setting they should keep her off camera because she also gets combative and angry over really generic and milquetoast stuff. If she's a genius organizer just have her do that.

if Bernie wins this is going to become even more important because his campaign is going to have to reach other candidates folks and even what pathetic remnants of turnable gop voters stillexist
Imma keep it real with you this is kinda racist.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So she is a angry black woman?
Come on dude

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Bruh...

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Criticizing a black woman for being angry and combative is an incredibly bad look.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So she is a angry black woman?
Come on dude

You know I almost prefaced it with that caveat, but I figured that a) Nina's TV appearances speak for themsles and b) Nobody would be ridiculous enough to make that accusation and c) Caveating it would be read as "I'm not racist but..."

You're welcome to browse my post history and see if I have ever even gone near that stereotype or anything remotely like it in my entire life and you're welcome to ignore the number of gaffes Nina specifically has committed that were unforced errors. There are easy tools to rport racism. There are a ton of mods with zero tolerance for even a whiff of it. You are free and welcome to report my post as I would if I genuninely encountered that.

There are several thinly and unveiled accusations of racism in this thread and at this point it's impossible to discuss the merits of campaign mistakes without being dogpiled.

I am not a racist.

I don't use racist stereotypes.

Applying them to this incident is unhelpful. Calling people racist is such a ridiculous esclation of rhetoric in an already charged environment that it creates an apalling atmosphere.

If Bernie wins, I want and need him to run the best campaign possible for the remainder of the year - and he has dials and levers at his disposal to avoid real or expploitable nothingburger problems that I wish he would use.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I almost prefaced it with that caveat, but I figured that a) Nina's TV appearances speak for themsles and b) Nobody would be ridiculous enough to make that accusation and c) Caveating it would be read as "I'm not racist but..."

You're welcome to browse my post history and see if I have ever even gone near that stereotype or anything remotely like it in my entire life and you're welcome to ignore the number of gaffes Nina specifically has committed that were unforced errors. There are easy tools to rport racism. There are a ton of mods with zero tolerance for even a whiff of it. You are free and welcome to report my post as I would if I genuninely encountered that.

There are several thinly and unveiled accusations of racism in this thread and at this point it's impossible to discuss the merits of campaign mistakes without being dogpiled.

I am not a racist.

Applying them to this incident is unhelpful. Calling people racist is such a ridiculous esclation of rhetoric in an already charged environment that it creates an apalling atmosphere.

If Bernie wins, I want and need him to run the best campaign possible for the remainder of the year - and he has dials and levers at his disposal to avoid real or expploitable nothingburger problems that I wish he would use.
This is really embarrassing

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I am not a racist.

I call it as I see it and that shit was low key rasict. A diet version of the angry black woman stereotype. Through and through out

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I am not a racist.

So you understood the stereotype of combative, angry black women and decided to roll with it anyway? Turner has made mistakes in the past and there are valid criticisms there, but this is absolutely not it.

Status
Not open for further replies.