• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Six families of victims killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School won a legal victory Friday in their fight against controversial radio and internet personality Alex Jones.

A judge in Connecticut has granted the families' discovery requests, allowing them access to, among other things, InfoWars' internal marketing and financial documents.

The judge has scheduled a hearing next week to decide whether to allow the plaintiffs' attorneys to depose Jones.

The families sued Jones and InfoWars for defamation and accused him of perpetuating a "monstrous, unspeakable lie: that the Sandy Hook shooting was staged and that the families who lost loved ones that day are actors who faked their relatives' deaths."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/families-sandy-hook-shooting-victims-win-legal-victory/story?id=60314174

Oct 25, 2017
There is some small measure of good in this world. May Alex Jones and his ilk pay for it, as long as they're able.
"...And that children, is how the Infowars, were lost."

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the same impending doom feeling the Jones feels is as apparent for the GOP and Trump.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the piece of shit to hound the judge in the case. Alex Jones needs to be broke the rest of his life.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a second, I thought they won the actual lawsuit against him. Might need to clarify.

Otherwise, awesome. Alex Jones is a garbage human being.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this guy so much for this. Legitimately one of the most disgusting things a media personality has ever done.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Does the guy even have internal marketing documents? I mean, it seems like he'll just lie and talk out of his ass every day depending on what the right wing talking points are for the day.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do we find out who paid him money and hopefully out racist politicians, rich people, celebs?
Or Russian agents?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only documents that would become public would be those related to the case right?
If I'm honest, I'm not a lawyer, but they'd only be able to ask for documents pertaining to the case in the first place if my memory serves. In this case, according to the article, they get things like marketing and financial documents (among other things). Discovery doesn't let you get at everything, you have to be able to justify what you want get at.

As for how much of what they can get at will be made public, I'd assume all of it, but we'd have to ask a lawyer.

Hmmm I feel dumb not understanding what benefit this has. Why do the parents want this?
They're suing him for defamation. In order to make the case they have to show he knowing lied. If it turns out he doesn't actually believe that shit then they get the batcave, as it were.

Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Great news. I wonder if he has any idea how much his life will be completely destroyed before this is over.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
anyway this will legally become public?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only documents that would become public would be those related to the case right?
That depends. First, the only public documents in a lawsuit are those that are publicly filed with the court. Discovery documents are not typically filed with the court; usually they are just exchanged between the parties. That said, discovery documents often do find their way into public filings as exhibits or evidentiary offerings made in connection with filed motions, hearings, or trials.

HOWEVER, protective orders are sometimes put in place that limit what discovery can be filed publicly. If the information at issue is particularly sensitive, like a trade secret or other proprietary information, then it is likely a protective order would be sought by the producing party that would prohibit the information from being filed in a way that is accessible to the public. Any such filings would instead be made under seal or in a redacted format.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect to find payments from some shady consulting firm that pays for false stories and fake allegations to be run on his show.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm I feel dumb not understanding what benefit this has. Why do the parents want this?

Basically, these kind of cases rest entirely on the discovery of previously private documents.

If Alex Jones, in the documents that are uncovered, is proven to have been knowingly lying in order to profit at the expense of these specific people then he loses the case.

Personally, I don't think discovery was necessary, as he has in other court documents said that the Alex Jones radio persona is a character and he doesn't believe anything he says... but it's nice that they get to blow open his entire shitty operation in pursuit of the truth.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
That depends. First, the only public documents in a lawsuit are those that are publicly filed with the court. Discovery documents are not typically filed with the court; usually they are just exchanged between the parties. That said, discovery documents often do find their way into public filings as exhibits or evidentiary offerings made in connection with filed motions, hearings, or trials.

HOWEVER, protective orders are sometimes put in place that limit what discovery can be filed publicly. If the information at issue is particularly sensitive, like a trade secret or other proprietary data, then it is likely a protective order would be sought by the producing party that would prohibit the information from being filed in a way that is accessible to the public. Any such filings would instead be made under seal or in a redacted format.
I imagine none of this will be under seal though.