• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Per a recently posted job position for the game:

Santa Monica Studio

• Develop and maintain strong creative and collaborative partnerships across subject areas to help further develop the in-game characters, visual language, and rule sets for fantasy-based worlds
  • Strong design skills with the ability to render realistic believable fantasy-based characters, creatures, and props using contemporary industry standard tools and techniques.
To clear things up, we assume this to be a new IP as the team has been referring to these job positions (the ones that talk about an unannounced title) as a "new adventure" for the studio. Plus we know that Cory has been writing for a new game for years and has been vocally against directing future GoW games as he believes it should be a new director for each iteration, I even believe he outright stated he wants to make something of his own creation.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
We sure this isn't for God of War 5 though? I remember hearing Cory's team was doing something of a sci-fi nature though that was awhile ago

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
If I remember correctly there were rumors of a sci-fi game being developed a few years ago....maybe it's been revived?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Fantasy, compared to the super-realistic, down to earth imagining of God of War 2018's environments and creatures and monsters?

Sure, this could be new IP, it could also be work for the next God of War.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly there were rumors of a sci-fi game being developed a few years ago....maybe it's been revived?
Not rumors, it was touched upon in the Raising Kratos documentary on Youtube with some super short snippets of devs working on it. They stopped to completely focus on God of War, nobody knows what happened with it after.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I updated the OT to clarify why is this presumed to be a new IP and not just another GoW. In addition cory has already said he wants GoW to be directed by others and has been writing his next project for a few years now.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, because I'm starting to get confused.

Whats considered a new IP?

The job listing does say new unannounced title.

And reminds me of a thread I just posted in, lol.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Santa Monica is already working on an IP after Ragnarok?
They have a second project in the works, and given Santa Monica doesn't really have any other applicable IP to work on most are assuming they're creating a new IP. After the release of GoW, Cory tweeted this out, so it's assumed he is working on a new IP and Eric is taking on the director mantle for the GoW sequel.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, because I'm starting to get confused.

Whats considered a new IP?

The job listing does say new unannounced title.

And reminds me of a thread I just posted in, lol.

Since God of War PS5 has already been announce, the assumption is that this is a new IP. Unless it's another God of War game that's a ways off or an existing IP revival, which seems less likely.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I updated the OT to clarify why is this presumed to be a new IP and not just another GoW. In addition cory has already said he wants GoW to be directed by others and has been writing his next project for a few years now.

The job listing even says:
We are seeking an experienced Senior Character Concept Artist for the development of a new unannounced title!

So it can't be the next GoW title, which has already been announced.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Im going to guess 3rd person single player medieval fantasy

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The job listing even says:
We are seeking an experienced Senior Character Concept Artist for the development of a new unannounced title!

So it can't be the next GoW title
I was assuming the discussion is basically it potentially being GoW6 or something, but yea, it's absolutely not Ragnarok because why would you hire a concept artist for it now.
There's many reasons from those that followed in the last few years to believe that the game after Ragnarok will be a new IP.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Would be cool if Sony could get one of their studios to make an RPG, so this being fantasy themed (of course we don't know what type of fantasy) gives me hope we're moving towards that.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
GOW 5? Ragnarok maybe a stand alone title for ps5/ps4 like Miles Morales and this be the true aaa sequel ps5 only. But i really hope it's a new ip nothing to do if gow.
It always boggles me when I see that speculation.
I have no idea how do people think a game covering Ragnarok which is an event that still has a ton of setting up to do will end up being a smaller standalone, it's clearly the next big thing for the studio just based on the name alone.