• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how hard people trip over themselves to play devil's advocate for racists. "But I'm not a racist myself, I don't support Trump or Sarah Sanders, I think they are awful, I'm just asking questions. This doesn't FEEL right!"

I don't understand this.
I'm not conservative, or even american. Any fallout from this would never affect me. I have no reason to be defensive.
I honestly don't even know who sarah sanders is. Yet if I post my opinion that I'm not comfortable with deciding who can and cannot enter a business at the door I'm a racist?

How does that make any sense?
Political stance is not a race, it's not a gender...?
And in no way is my opinion on this matter even indicitive of my political stance.

I mean whatever, if you want to be happy about this I don't know what things are like in America. I'd rather cheer when they lose elections tbh.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
A restaurant run by a conservative sounds like a place I don't want to go. Ban me pls. I'll be forever banned from 0 restaurants in dc.
I live in Phoenix so it could actually affect me but I would love if those kinds of places made a declaration of an open ban on liberals. Let me know never to give them another dime. Works for me.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this.
I'm not conservative, or even american. Any fallout from this would never affect me. I have no reason to be defensive.
I honestly don't even know who sarah sanders is. Yet if I post my opinion that I'm not comfortable with deciding who can and cannot enter a business at the door I'm a racist?

And in no way is my opinion on this matter even indicitive of my political stance.

I mean whatever, if you want to be happy about this I don't know what things are like in America. I'd rather cheer when they lose elections tbh.

Maybe do a modicum of research and learn who Sarah Sanders is before giving your opinion, as it's sort of important to the issue? Because whether you know it or not, you are essentially siding with a racist.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand this.

So you're commenting without the actual context of why this was done or why people support it?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this.

This is not the first argument, by a long shot, that falls back to the "I'm not American, and I don't even know what is going on, but". I sense something...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand this.

Pro-tip: Don't defend racists and garbage human beings and maybe people won't assume you yourself are a racist and garbage human being.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
They believe because the left is generally for gun control that the left will not stand up against them.

It's other countries, especially within NATO, they need to worry about. NATO was set up after the second world war specifically in response to the Soviet threat. Now the Russian threat comes from within the White House, and Trump has in the past complained about how "unfair" NATO was, I give it a month before he pulls out. And then the shit will hit the fan.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck the retaliation. They already gained the right to discriminate against LGBTQ+ people and that wasn't a retaliation so I'm not sure why we care about the "conservative response". Let them respond, we have to fight for what we supposedly stand for

As someone who is not american the partyism is very frigthening. The split is wide now but something like this could slowly make it wider.
The way to fix that is to beat them in the next election and change the policy. it's not right but I don't know how else to deal with it.

I live in Phoenix so it could actually affect me but I would love if those kinds of places made a declaration of an open ban on liberals. Let me know never to give them another dime. Works for me.

That is messed up and honestly should be on the news in my opinion.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the retaliation. They already gained the right to discriminate against LGBTQ+ people and that wasn't a retaliation so I'm not sure why we care about the "conservative response". Let them respond, we have to fight for what we supposedly stand for
Sorry to digress, but I have to correct some misinformation here.

The baker case gave no one the "right" to discriminate against LGBT people. SCOTUS merely found that the commission that charged the baker had acted with malice and decided the case on procedural grounds. The ruling explicitly said that LGBT people shouldn't have to face discrimination. A "clean" case brought before them will likely result in LGBT people being designated a protected class under the Civil Rights Act.

Again, Sarah Huckabee Sanders has no right to service at this restaurant because being a mendacious attacker of the free press and an enabler of child concentration camps falls outside a protected class. I think she and her ilk should be shunned by every establishment! I just wanted to get the facts straight.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Ehhh do not really agree with this.
I don't see why any restaurant or business should have the right to remove any customer who has not done something unsavoury within that business.
We should not get to the point when restaurants pick and choose who can eat there

Literally every business reserves the right to refuse service.

Fuck me. What planet do some of you live on?

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand this.

I'm neither of those things either, but I would kick the mouthpiece of an almost nazi out of my shop in a heartbeat.

Fuck everything about Donald trump and any shithead that hitches their wagon to his shit for money.

Also, any business in any country I've ever heard of can tell someone to go jump, this is standard. Can be risky to use that privilege, but it totally exists

Oct 27, 2017
If Conservatives want to reevaluate who is covered as a protected class, adding political affiliation and sexual identification, I am open to compromise.

I bet they'll hate ''right to work" laws being effectively neutered, but that's their cross to bear, not mine

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this.

seems like it's less about you not being american and more about you being intellectually lazy

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is not the first argument, by a long shot, that falls back to the "I'm not American, and I don't even know what is going on, but". I sense something...

SorrowfulVastBluebird.gif

You're strange american laws and cultures confuse and frighten me. How am I to understand that some of you actually frown upon racists and bigots?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

This is why she's being treated "unfairly" she lies and misleads people on Trump's behalf every day.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
As someone who is not american the partyism is very frigthening. The split is wide now but something like this could slowly make it wider.
The way to fix that is to beat them in the next election and change the policy. it's not right but I don't know how else to deal with it.

That is messed up and honestly should be on the news in my opinion.
It would be and that's the point. If the local Mexican food place I frequent is actually ran by alt-righters, I'd have no clue as of now. If they announced liberals are not welcome, then I'd know and I'd never visit again. They did me a service. You wouldn't hear me complain about morality or discrimination.

That would have no way to enforce it anyway. That's the difference here, everybody knows Sanders is a liar and a racist and that's the problem they have with her.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
A) I don't plan to not vote. I'm still going to vote and stress that people like SHS are held accountable and know they are unwelcome among people with empathy B) You think partyism is frightening only because you're minimizing how much the Republican Party isn't interested in actual politics but rather punishing minorities like myself for existing. Partyism isn't as frightening as not knowing whether your sexuality or race will be criminalized in a year.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
As "not [an] American," you should probably ask more questions and make less definitive statements.
None of my statements were intended to be definitive, most were speculative or were questions

I'm sorry if my posts mislead anyone about me and I clearly am a distraction in this thread so I will leave.
I do not support Sarah Sanders or anyhing Republican, nor do I disagree that a business cannot technically tell anyone to leave.
I have just never heard of it happening and worry where it's wide-spread use could lead.
That is honestly all. Sorry if I disturbed anyone.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry if my posts mislead anyone about me and I clearly am a distraction in this thread so I will leave.
I do not support Sarah Sanders or anyhing Republican, nor do I disagree that a business cannot technically tell anyone to leave.
I have just never heard of it happening and worry where it's wide-spread use could lead.

You're not fooling anyone.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Eh, don't worry about it so much.

Oct 27, 2017

Bruh, America has a history of discriminatory laws and customs which marginalized millions of people based on nothing more than their appearance. This experience is within the lifetimes of parents and grandparents, and which have reverberated into the 21st century.

We got issues in this country, which are nuanced and generational. Systemic at their most potent. So you have to expect strong opinions when it appears you're being aloof and non-commital

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
So we support a restaurant owners right to deny service to someone based on their beliefs?

I can't agree with this.

Sarah Sanders is a liar and has a belief system I am staunchly opposed to, but public institutions should have no right to discriminate.
A restaurant is not a public institution and she was not refused service for being a part of any sort of protected class.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To the people calling this "discrimination", if Trump wanted to drop by a restaurant or appear on a show (like Obama did with Anthony Bourdain or on SNL and other president before him have done), and that establishment said "sorry, we aren't interested in hosting you", would that be considered discrimination too? Because that situation is no different than this one.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this.

you're so full of shit it's not even funny.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So you had to talk to people to start to realize why serving people who imprison children in camps, hate minorities, lie every day, act like belligerent children, and make decisions that only serve the wealthy and empowered- is something that doesn't have to happen and can make someone physically ill?
Well good for fucking you

Fuck your better person spiel. Go be a better person on the_donald and see how it goes over there.

Ok guys, thanks.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
So we support a restaurant owners right to deny service to someone based on their beliefs?

I can't agree with this.

Sarah Sanders is a liar and has a belief system I am staunchly opposed to, but public institutions should have no right to discriminate.
So you'd be 100% okay with Richard Spencer coming into a restaurant?

You'd just serve him with a smile on your face? "I sure don't believe in your jew-killing policy, but I'll be damned if I won't make sure my cooks serve you?"

Chamberlin

Mar 1, 2018
So much pointless postmodern moralizing in this thread. "We shouldn't do this to people like her because it would be bad if it happened to people like us." Then don't be like her! It's that simple. She's wrong, we're right, and that matters. Should we not imprison criminals because we wouldn't want to be imprisoned? It is fine, and usually even a good thing, to socially punish bad people for being bad. You may be inclined to think of businesses serving customers as sacred ground. You probably think about all the civil rights issues we've had about businesses discriminating against protected classes. That has nothing to do with this. This isn't bigotry, this is just saying no to fascism, and it's not wrong to do that.

Chome Chome

Oct 29, 2017
None of my statements were intended to be definitive, most were speculative or were questions

There's nothing wrong with supporting Sarah Sanders or anything Republican. There can't be a discussion if you don't "disturb."

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I can tell you is that I try to be the better person in my real life

Haha

More like you try to come across as an enlightened ivory tower on an online forum until you get called out on that bullshit

Something something meet in the middle the middle is a great to be something something

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love how we've had like 4 or 5 "Just asking questions!" dudes come in here to start shit and each one has run away with their tails tucked between their legs.