• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naw, I'm not jumping into any back n forth going on at the moment. I was just responding to that post in a vacuum. We do have topics where it seems people come out of the Fox News woodwork to post lol.
Occassionally, but the poster you quoted only made statement to distract from being hypocritical themselves. Not really the best time to jump in and affirm them.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Re: RDJ in Tropic Thunder. I never felt like it was making fun of people that look like me. It felt like they went through a lot of work not to make RDJ look like a caricature. People in the movie were always making fun of him for going so far with his character.

That Sarah Silverman picture just makes me sad to see. I don't care about the content. It makes me feel bad as a black person to see somebody represent my people like that.

I don't know anything about the content, but that's how I feel whenever people bring RDJ and Tropic Thunder up.

This sounds like you're allowing RDJ mitigating context that you're not allowing Silverman.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
She owned up to it being in poor taste, and regrets doing it. Cancel culture is generally ridiculous and largely dismissive of people changing or taking responsibility for past actions.
"I do not like when people do blackface, it upsets me and I would rather not support someone who has done it"

"Cancel culture strikes again!"

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone curating a list of Resetera canceled celebrities? I guess we're adding Sarah Silverman to the list, but it would be good to know who not to like so I don't inadvertently get banned.

I'm laughing at the fact that you've been the only one banned in this thread (not that I think there are other banned deserved or anything)

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like you're allowing RDJ mitigating context that you're not allowing Silverman.

I'm not allowing Silverman the context because I literally cannot look at it without getting angry. I don't care about the message when it's wrapped in something that is so offensive for me to look at.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: trolling, antagonizing another member
Clefargle is concerned the kids in the concentration camps might hear one of Sarah Silverman's dirty jokes as it echoes off the concrete floor they're sleeping on.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
You are either trolling or are a proper hypocrite.

I've been pretty consistent in this thread, we just disagree

They made money off of it because you laughed at it. Whose really to blame?

You can't hold people responsible for what they find funny to the same extent you can what companies produce and publish.

That really doesn't answer the question though. Why can you grow out of finding blackface funny but she can't?

People grow and change, media doesn't once its been published it's out there in the world. Are y'all seriously saying those racist Disney cartoons are above reproach because they were intended to be comedic?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is anyone in this thread even taking issue with her getting fired?

Pretty much nobody.

My only issue is the harassment campaign that this has already turned into solely because she is a woman. It's the same people defending Trump that are attacking Sarah. It's not even remotely about racism. It is purely about sexism. I don't even know why this is something that needs to be propagated on this site.

Nobody on this site should be like those people. Be better than those people.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Millionaire Sarah Silverman complains to millionaire Bill Simmons about cancel culture on a podcast that will be listened to by over a million people.

Cancel culture isn't a thing, extremely popular and wealthy people just hate even the tiniest bit of accountability.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory community generalizations and misrepresenting moderation.
Wait, you can get banned for liking someone some folks on here decided to 'cancel'?

The fuck? You're joking right?
Not really, but Mods like to maintain an echo chamber. Take that as you will.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"I do not like when people do blackface, it upsets me and I would rather not support someone who has done it"

"Cancel culture strikes again!"

I mean, that's your prerogative if you choose not to support them. I'm not defending Sarah here saying that she shouldn't have been fired. I'm just saying that given time to reflect and potentially work on it, people can change.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

You can't hold people responsible for what they find funny to the same extent you can what companies produce and publish.

People grow and change, media doesn't once its been published it's out there in the world. Are y'all seriously saying those racist Disney cartoons are above reproach because they were intended to be comedic?

No one is defending the skit. They are saying the person behind it can change. You are moving the goal posts out of the zipcode with this Disney shit. Lol

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
It's weird, some people have entire professional careers without painting their face to resemble those of another ethnicity.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol ok my bad. I'll follow shit closer before I post.
Lol it's fine, they were just taking the 'anyone who disagrees with me is alt-right' tactic. Also I think the majority of people here to troll are either banned or just using dormant alts that pop up every now and again and then get banned.

Why are you bringing up Song of the South? It has no relevance to this thread, also the context is completely different. Yes, the media doesn't change but the people who produced it can and often do. You can criticize the media itself and also recognize the change in the people who created it.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
This shit getting to be hella annoying. I feel bad for these kids coming up, they finna have every single bad joke or dumb decision archived on the internet someone can dredge up decades later. At the same time we wanna preach prisoners should be afforded the ability to grow and be reformed, we cop an attitude about bullshit like this.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I mean, that's your prerogative if you choose not to support them. I'm not defending Sarah here saying that she shouldn't have been fired. I'm just saying that given time to reflect and potentially work on it, people can change.
Yes, people can change, that has nothing to do with "cancel culture". It's not a thing. That's just how human beings work, if they don't like something or someone they tend to not want to associate with it/them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
We have a lot. We've always had a lot since the beginning. The old place's perma-banned racist trash and lurkers got a new start here. Now they are older, wiser, and know not to just drop blatant slurs and antagonize like they did a decade ago.
I always like to keep it in mind that there were genuine, no nonsense alt-right guys trying to get into this forum when it started. And they were pulling the same victim act. Just as a quick example:

I'm sorry if I misspoke or am not sourcing.The heart attack mention was in a nationally televised interview with the mother. I cannot find a link that doesn't add garbage conspiracy theory. I saw it live. Also I am trying to be clinically factual here and a 2nd degree murder charge that hasn't been tried in court just is not proof of murder. Sorry if this comes off as trolling. Like I said I will be more mindful and likely never post in a Politcal charged thread again. I though this was about Wolfenstein and the reporting on it, not defending something millions saw on TV.
Wow. First two days here were much more civil. Several people resorting to mocking and shit throwing already. Since you all know me so well and everything I think I clearly have nothing more to add. Unfollowing the thread and will likely never enter a political thread again. So tolerant. So welcoming.
Please link undeniable proof of recent Nazi killings? I know a woman was tragically killed in Charlottesville but I have seen no forensic proof she was actually run over by the driver. In fact that I have seen reports she was trampled by the crowd and her own mother in a televised interview said it was a heart attack. I have also not seen charges against the driver yet. Let's be actually be honest in our discussions and rely on facts here please? It lessens your argument when you fail to source your facts. I'm being serious. Please, show me this real Nazi threat. Amd for the record I don't consider a basement dweller troll a real Nazi. Lots of "Nazis" out there with bed times and homework to finish.
I see more liberal media reporting on this game than the alt right trolls you are so worried about forming the 4th Reicht.
It's totally the 24hr mainstream media money machine whipping people into a needless rediculous frenzy to ensure we divide ourselves and bring instability.

Millenials want their companies to "take a stance" and the ad execs are feeding them exactly what they want.
His name was Seth Rich!
Exactly the far left toss around the world Nazi like it has no real meaning and it is just what you call those that you disagree with. Very few people like Nazis and this 24hr news cycle about them is just click bait trash at this point.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This shit getting to be hella annoying. I feel bad for these kids coming up, they finna have every single bad joke or dumb decision archived on the internet someone can dredge up decades later. At the same time we wanna preach prisoners should be afforded the ability to grow and be reformed, we cop an attitude about bullshit like this.
It's probably not the best idea to refer to people who dislike blackface as "copping an attitude about bullshit".

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Song of the South aside, which is a cartoon and not a person, cannot be changed. It is a thing, not a human. Sarah is a person involved directly with the skit in question, and while the contents of the skit are distasteful and racist, she has the potential as a human being to change as time progresses. If you can't understand that..I'm not sure where the discussion can go?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not allowing Silverman the context because I literally cannot look at it without getting angry. I don't care about the message when it's wrapped in something that is so offensive for me to look at.

Not being black, I guess I can't speak to that. But her character is obviously being portrayed as someone who is trying to measure her race's suffering against another's, and eventually realizes what a folly it is. In the same sketch, a black character also dresses up as a cartoonish caricature of a Jew and reaches the same conclusion.

It's crass, but the intent is rational.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
She says she doesn't stand by it but then she says it's cause she stuck her neck out. I don't think she learned the right lesson lol.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, people can change, that has nothing to do with "cancel culture". It's not a thing. That's just how human beings work, if they don't like something or someone they tend to not want to associate with it/them.
Sure but making mistakes and learning from them is also how human beings work. Most people have the luxury of the relative anonymity that comes with not being famous. Most people have said or done something they regret, but they probably also don't have it plastered where everyone can see it. It's good to remember that these people in the public eye are also human beings. Forgetting or ignoring that is how we get situations like Monica Lewinsky, Amy Fischer, Tonya Harding, etc.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love her and will continue to. Used to think that show was pretty great too, although I don't remember that episode and haven't watched it since it was initially out.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Song of the South aside, which is a cartoon and not a person, cannot be changed. It is a thing, not a human. Sarah is a person involved directly with the skit in question, and while the contents of the skit are distasteful and racist, she has the potential as a human being to change as time progresses. If you can't understand that..I'm not sure where the discussion can go?

They were both made by corporations, were a product of their time, and had writers. Sarah was one of those writers, she put her name on the literal show title. If you can't hold someone accountable for that, then maybe you should just stop responding to my posts ITT.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Fuck it, let's cancel "it's always sunny", RDJ, and Jon hamm too.

reg_1024.hamm.ls.42712.jpg

I used to think this shit was funny but now it's like a cringey pseudo-woke minstrel show

Wait, what sunny did wasn't blackface. Unless you're referring to a different instance than the episode I'm thinking of.

I don't know about the Hamm instance but wasn't RDJ the butt of a joke the whole movie for his blackfacing method acting ways?

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has the movie studio actually come out and stated this was the reason for her being fired? I've fired lots of people over the years and we never publicly share the reason behind it. Staff and employees jump to all kind of conclusions and all of them have been 100% wrong. Even the people who are fired and are told exactly why they are fired have found ways to completely misrepresent the reason in an effort to save face.

All we have is one person's telling of the story ...could be a big, fat, nothingburger.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not being black, I guess I can't speak to that. But her character is obviously being portrayed as someone who is trying to measure her race's suffering against another's, and eventually realizes what a folly it is. In the same sketch, a black character also dresses up as a cartoonish caricature of a Jew and reaches the same conclusion.

It's crass, but the intent is rational.

And that's the rub. Silverman's portrayal of blackface is rooted in a history of minstrel shows and taking the humanity away from people who look like me. It's the visual version of calling me the n word.

I can't say the same thing about RDJ in Tropic Thunder. If people want to get mad about Tropic Thunder, then I'm not going to say they can't. But to me, Silverman's representation and Tropic Thunder aren't similar at all.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It was okay that he found it funny back then but it's not okay that they found it funny back then.

Are all of y'all saying that you make a conscious decision every time you find something humorous?

Or are all of yall saying that writing jokes for a television program is just as unintentional as a sense of humor?

Because those are both ridiculous

Oct 25, 2017
What would be actually hilarious is if I'd watched "it's always sunny" for all these seasons without grasping satire.

You do realize that understanding your own personal ignorance and understanding the context and history behind stereotypes is fundamentally different than someone regretting a production they got paid to star in right? Please tell me you're capable of parsing the two.
Why are they different in a way that makes her evolution as a person invalid while yours is? Of course being paid to be on a show is a different thing from watching TV. How is that difference relevant to the moral claims you are making?

This is what everyone is probing you to answer and you are not doing so in a satisfactory fashion.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I never left the old site seeing posts like this. I'm just not cool with blackface even if it's extra *ironic*
Yes but you seem to be missing the point. There was a time where both you and Silverman found blackface funny. Now neither of you find it funny, and that's ok for you but not for her. People are taking issue with the pretty obvious double standard.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing that we've created such a community full of people that have never made mistakes in their lives.

Seriously though, she seems remorseful about the situation, and seems to be an ally on the right side of history. But so many people here are content to have this never forget, never forgive attitude. One fuck up, and you are done. Career over. You deserve no chance at a successful life, or form of redemption. Stay out of my sight line, and out of my entertainment.

Give me a fucking break.

People make mistakes, they change, they grow, they become better people. Is that really not allowed anymore?

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Tropic Thunder should be canceled for making fun of the mentally handicapped. The blackface was also controversial back in 08. It isn't like blackface being on the outs was a recent thing

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Sure but making mistakes and learning from them is also how human beings work. Most people have the luxury of the relative anonymity that comes with not being famous. Most people have said or done something they regret, but they probably also don't have it plastered where everyone can see it. It's good to remember that these people in the public eye are also human beings. Forgetting or ignoring that is how we get situations like Monica Lewinsky, Amy Fischer, Tonya Harding, etc.
Okay, but that still doesn't mean "cancel culture" is a thing. People are aware she is a human. If she changes or has changed, people will support her. Some won't, but that would be true at any point in history regardless of the internet or social media being a thing. It's not a culture specific to this point in time, you're just talking about general truisms regarding forgiveness.
People make mistakes, they change, they grow, they become better people. Is that really not allowed anymore?
Can you quote who said it wasn't allowed please? How would another human being even disallow that?

Status
Not open for further replies.