• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with being an early adopter or Ubisoft. It's like saying Ubi fucked me over as an early adopter because I purchased the ultimate edition and now it's on discount. Bundles usually go on sale and season passes often don't and it's a problem related to the entire industry not just Ubisoft.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I never buy Ubi games day 1. I always wait until I can get the version of the game with the game and season pass for the same price or less than the base game at launch. They are still some of my favorite games, but waiting a while doesn't make them any less good. Patience is a virtue.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't your problem be solved by buying the Gold Edition on day one?

It has nothing to do with being an early adopter.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah EA is really good about not putting season passes on sale too, its annoying. Even worse is the slap in the face when you buy a season pass/gold edition at launch and it goes on sale before any DLC content is released... fuck off with this

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I only typically buy multiplayer games day 1. Anything else is based on how much I want to play it. Do I think it's worth the price. Unfortunately games keep coming down in price sooner and sooner it seems lately. When it comes to season passes I typically will pass unless I get a GoTY version much later for cheap. I tend to go at a game 1 time, play all I want then go back.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Every developer this gen has consistently shown to punish anyone who buys a vanilla copy of the game. Season passes rarely ever go on sale. You're better off waiting for a cheaper sale on a Gold Edition for any game that has a season pass.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
This

The industry is set up so as early adopters get screwed

Pay a premium to play the unpatched inferior day 1 version with no DLC, or play it 6 months later for half the price will all the DLC included

If only people would stop blindly preordering, maybe they would have an incentive to change

How're you getting screwed if you're aware of the outcome before hand on a voluntary purchase? You're also not paying a premium... You're paying retail price.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Every developer this gen has consistently shown to punish anyone who buys a vanilla copy of the game. Season passes rarely ever go on sale. You're better off waiting for a cheaper sale on a Gold Edition for any game that has a season pass.

I bought FF XV with the season pass... now I'm waiting a deal on Royal edition and Ardyn episode

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Ubisoft games go on sale very quickly. I used to think it was because of a bunch of trade ins but it happens in digital too, guess they just want to get it in the hands of as many people as possible.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How're you getting screwed if you're aware of the outcome before hand on a voluntary purchase? You're also not paying a premium... You're paying retail price.

Well it's paying full price for a game that has been rushed out the door and has no DLC, vs getting the game for a third of the price with all the DLC, plus any free service DLC ready for when you start, plus patches that improve the balance/performance

You're paying less for a better, more complete product by waiting

If you buy day 1, you pay more to get a worse, less complete experience

Obviously most people know this now, so they're not technically getting screwed, they're just knowingly accepting they're paying more for a worse product, and that is the cost of playing at launch

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's because those discounts are to attract non-day one buyers who wait for sales. If you're a day one buyer, then you don't mind paying full price for DLC as well. That's how publishers think.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This

The industry is set up so as early adopters get screwed

Pay a premium to play the unpatched inferior day 1 version with no DLC, or play it 6 months later for half the price will all the DLC included

If only people would stop blindly preordering, maybe they would have an incentive to change
What exactly do you want changed? You want games to go up in price as they add patches/updates or you want them to go forward in time and bring you the fully patch version day 1 and never change the price, a la Nintendo style? If only consumer electronics kept their price, I would love to buy a PS1 for $299 today.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What exactly do you want changed? You want games to go up in price as they add patches/updates or you want them to go forward in time and bring you the fully patch version day 1 and never change the price, a la Nintendo style? If only consumer electronics kept their price, I would love to buy a PS1 for $299 today.

No idea, but while there are 1000s of great and cheap games available to me, I have no incentive to buy new games day 1 when I know the product will be far better and have far more content for a lower price in 6 months time

It's not my problem to solve, but if they do solve it, then I'd be back to giving publishers $60 per game and not $20 per game

In the grand scheme of things, they probably have easier ways to make up any lost revenue. Building a $60 game and then trying to get a good percentage of players to keep paying for it is probably making up for any money they're losing from me 100 times over

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No idea, but while there are 1000s of great and cheap games available to me, I have no incentive to buy new games day 1 when I know the product will be far better and have far more content for a lower price in 6 months time

It's not my problem to solve, but if they do solve it, then I'd be back to giving publishers $60 per game and not $20 per game

In the grand scheme of things, they probably have easier ways to make up any lost revenue. Building a $60 game and then trying to get a good percentage of players to keep paying for it is probably making up for any money they're losing from me 100 times over
I just don't agree with you that's it's a problem. Most products fall in price, you can buy the newest phone for crazy money or wait a year or two and get it for much less with the newest software updates and bug fixes. If you're not willing to buy a game at release because it might get some updates and a lower price after some months maybe you were not really interested in it all that much to begin with.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just don't agree with you that's it's a problem. Most products fall in price, you can buy the newest phone for crazy money or wait a year or two and get it for much less with the newest software updates and bug fixes. If you're not willing to buy a game at release because it might get some updates and a lower price after some months maybe you were not really interested in it all that much to begin with.

It's not a problem for me, I get cheap games for good prices

It's a problem if developers want people like me to pay full price for their games, when clearly I'm not going to spend more money for an inferior product

They might not see that as a problem, or they might see it as a problem they won't be able to address

My main point in this thread has been that the AAA industry encourages consumers to wait for sales, and in general early adopters get the worst deal. It's not a Ubisoft only issue

Oct 28, 2017
I promised myself I would never get another Ubisoft game day one when the Fractured But Whole Switch version went on sale before it got a fix for a game breaking bug.

On one hand it's nice that Ubisoft treats the Switch like other platforms and discounts their Switch titles aggressively. On the other hand when they and only they discount on the platform like that it means that only they aren't getting $60 purchases from me unlike say Bethesda.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017

I think the "solution" is to just have a generally complete and stable game. Being able to address bugs not caught before release and adding additional content are the benefits of the connected age, rather than leaving a game potentially broken. Also only leaving a full blown sequel on the table rather than additional content.

I dont really think your problem is a problem.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
It can be annoying but I've learned over time that any money I spend on a season pass is usually money that would've been better spent on a new game. In the case of AC, I think the base game is too large as is, so a season pass on top of that would just be too much for me. For the cost of the season pass I could almost pick up a new copy of days gone next week.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think the "solution" is to just have a generally complete and stable game. Being able to address bugs not caught before release and adding additional content are the benefits of the connected age, rather than leaving a game potentially broken. Also only leaving a full blown sequel on the table rather than additional content.

I dont really think your problem is a problem.

As I said in my previous reply in this thread, it's not a problem for me at all, if anything it's a benefit

However, I used to buy games at $60, and now I only buy games for $20, so if publishers care about how much I'm giving them, then it is a problem for them

I do buy Nintendo games at full price, but that's mainly because I don't really have a choice in the matter, but at least I know they'll (generally) be polished out of the box

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the issue with this. When you buy an expensive edition of a game at launch you know that in a few months time it will be much cheaper. They aren't forcing you to pay more for it, they know that some people aren't patient and want to play the game right away.

In my case if I buy a game at launch that doesn't include the season pass then odds are I will never play that dlc because I will have played through that game in the first few weeks then put it away. I did that with Spider-Man and BotW and haven't touched them since the months they released in. With the past two AC games I waited until the january after they released and bought the gold editions of them then waited a few months to play them after the dlc had released.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not a problem for me, I get cheap games for good prices

It's a problem if developers want people like me to pay full price for their games, when clearly I'm not going to spend more money for an inferior product

They might not see that as a problem, or they might see it as a problem they won't be able to address

My main point in this thread has been that the AAA industry encourages consumers to wait for sales, and in general early adopters get the worst deal. It's not a Ubisoft only issue
Big publishers seems to be doing fine, I buy a lot of my Nintendo games second hand because I can't stand their price policies, but I think Nintendo will be just fine without getting as much money from me as they might have. Games don't just go on sales because publishers are bored it's often either because it sold terrible and they are trying to desperately get some money back or because a game sales numbers might be slowing down and want to get the more price sensitive consumers on board, just like many other markets.
However, I used to buy games at $60, and now I only buy games for $20, so if publishers care about how much I'm giving them, then it is a problem for them
Last gen people were talking about how used games were destroying the industry (well most publishers I guess) but that didn't happen, just like the used car market didn't destroy the car market. At least now publishers are getting ~$20 from you instead of $0 like they might have last gen when the used market was bigger and online sales weren't as good or often.

Last edited:

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
So what do people want? That late adopters pay the same as early adopters? Nintendo does that and apparently no one is happy about it either.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like by the time good DLC from a season pass finally releases, the season pass is likely on sale somewhere. So early adopters don't even get that early access benefit on DLC. I buy barebones games because of that reason. No reason to get the season pass for full price if it's cheaper when the content I want to play releases.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can always buy the super cheap Ultimate or Gold editions and you will not only get the season pass but a digital copy of the game at a lower price.

The good thing is that Ubisoft at least put the Season Passes alone on sale like 2 times a year unlike other flops like Bioware who almost never did back in the day and Nintendo who never does.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Boo-hooo. Always wait or play the games on a sub service. Pre-ordering etc. Is just to get the game faster, and that's why you pay the extra price.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So what do people want? That late adopters pay the same as early adopters? Nintendo does that and apparently no one is happy about it either.
That's not what the topic is about. The topic is about season passes and DLC not going on sale while the Gold Editions go on sale repeatedly. It sounds like the base game and Gold Edition are on sale on Live, but not the Season Pass. On PSN, the Gold Edition has been on sale twice as often as the Season Pass, and at greater discounts. The point is, it would be nice for early adopters who paid full price to have a chance at a Season Pass discount whenever the Gold Edition goes on sale.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2366848/assassin-s-creed-odyssey
https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2366850/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-gold-edition
https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2476737/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-season-pass

Trials Fusion, 1 sale over 3 years after release for final DLC, 22 sales for game bundle including final DLC.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/102322/trials-fusion-awesome-max-edition
https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2358428/trials-fusion-awesome-level-max

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
With EA the games eventually become free on Access.

Hell all the DLC for BF4 and BF1 was free leading up to BFV.

Im totally NOT against this, things should go on sale, prices should drop.
If you are really excited for something show support and day 1, but if you are willing to wait most games drop to sub $30 within a year.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's paying full price for a game that has been rushed out the door and has no DLC, vs getting the game for a third of the price with all the DLC, plus any free service DLC ready for when you start, plus patches that improve the balance/performance

You're paying less for a better, more complete product by waiting

If you buy day 1, you pay more to get a worse, less complete experience

Obviously most people know this now, so they're not technically getting screwed, they're just knowingly accepting they're paying more for a worse product, and that is the cost of playing at launch

There's a way too alleviate every complaint you just laid out. Twisting it the way you did is hilarious... Day one buyers aren't locked out of anything you named. Products devaluating is embedded in every part of your life... Not sure how that is a negative. Prices would be dumb otherwise.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why I always hold out for Assassin's creed games. I'm generally not too hyped to play them day one but will follow them until they get cheap enough for me to bite.

OP
OP
unicornKnight

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Why do you limit this question to Ubisoft games? I'd triple think about ANY game.
So far that was my only experience of that kind. I mostly buy Nintendo games day one because I know they don't easily drop in price. The last time I bought a game of publisher other than Nintendo day one was Skyrim in 2011. The thing is, I knew when I bought it that it d get an offer in a few months, I was just disappointed today to find out that even though the expensive versions got massive drops like 40 instead of 100$, the season pass got nothing at all.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
DLC pricing during sales of GOTY or gold/platinum/etc editions is always weird. I don't think it's unique to Ubisoft.

I remember waiting an absurd length of time for a deal on the Pillars of Eternity season pass - that and both pieces of the White March never went on sale (or 10% off at most) even when the core game and the complete editions were perpetually half off or more.

I like it when DLC is also bundled with the base game on Steam and the publisher has chosen to allow discounts for owned pieces. That way if there is a significant sale I'm not punished for owning the game or even an extra piece of DLC when compared to someone coming in clean. I'm still in for more money because I bought the game early but my discount on the DLC is proportional.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's a way too alleviate every complaint you just laid out. Twisting it the way you did is hilarious... Day one buyers aren't locked out of anything you named. Products devaluating is embedded in every part of your life... Not sure how that is a negative. Prices would be dumb otherwise.

If you wait you get a better deal and a better product, how is that twisting anything?

Again, for the 3rd time in this thread now, I'm happy with this situation. I get better games for half the price. I'm not complaining

Early adopters get a worse experience or a more expensive experience

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
i actually just bought acoo today, and the pricing is bananas.

basic: $32 (just the game edition)
deluxe: $33 (game and "weapon pack" edition)
gold: $43 (game and season pass)
ultimate: $49 (all of the above-- game, season pass, and weapon pack)

season pass alone: $50

acoo + aco double pack (just the game editions): ~$60

some of them include 3-days early access which of course hasn't applied since the game released.

also im pretty sure i got robbed, as the season pass is supposed to include liberations hd, but everything except the season pass feature list does not mention this.
Liberation is accessed via Assassin's Creed III Remastered.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Outside Nintendo games, I never buy anything at full price.
These times, with epic games and backlog, I'm hardly buying anything at any price outside Nintendo games.

Those types of high profile games you mentioned, like AC, the best strategy (if you can. I surely can) is to wait for "game of the year" versions with everything in one package.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
It's not ubisoft. It's everyone. Day 1 purchases are bad business

Yep.

I no longer touch new releases unless it's something I really really want (Monster Boy, or Ys most recently), or it's an indie game thats already cheap.

AAA games in the first month are usually a bad idea. I've been burned so hard the last few years with IPs I used to trust (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls 3) that I'm just avoiding them for at least a month after release.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
As I said in my previous reply in this thread, it's not a problem for me at all, if anything it's a benefit

I do buy Nintendo games at full price, but that's mainly because I don't really have a choice in the matter, but at least I know they'll (generally) be polished out of the box
I just dont really see it as a problem for anyone, even them, unless their product is seen as lacking content or buggy, negatively affect their sales overall due to poor reception.

An improved game from launch just seems standard.

Can I ask what made you buy games for full price before?

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
Eh, I bought Origins Day One and don't regret it. It was a good game and showed off what my X could do. I also bought Odyssey Day One and it was too much game for everything else that was coming out after it. I don't regret that purchase either. I don't have time for the dlc as of right now.

But as for no good discount on the season pass on X1, it does blow, I will agree with that.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
So Assassin's Creed Odyssey is on sale right now on Xbox One, Gold Edition is on sale too, same as Ultimate Edition. You know what isn't discounted? Season pass. The same season pass that is included in both Ultimate and Gold Editions.
If you have a gold subscription you can buy Gold Edition for 33$ but even if you don't you can buy it for 40$, 60$ off the regular 100$. That's the same price that season pass alone costs. For someone like me who bought the standard edition day one, that's a big fuck you in the face. The best scenario for me now would be to purchase digital gold edition and sell my retail standard game - of course had I bought the game digital I wouldn't even have this option.
I know what most of you will say "you should have waited, it's your fault, blahblah". Yeah don't worry I know it's my decision, I am just saying that these policies only set a bad precedent and harm the industry in the long run. It was the first time I bough a Ubisoft game day one because I really wanted to play it and I have no regrets, I fully enjoyed it. But still it's disappointing to see this stance and that was the point of the thread.

Will I buy a Ubisoft game again day one? Not sure, will have to double / triple think about it.
Welcome to being an early adopter for literally anything...

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I cant say it is the only game that does this, but at least it is the only one I always notice: The Witcher 3 is always on sale, the gold edition is always on sale and the DLCs are also on sale all the time.

All other games usually dont follow this practice. It is really weird, but in a way I can understand why they do it: you wanted the game so much you got it day one (full price), now they will leave you with the only option of paying full price for the season pass, because you already showed once that you would do it. It sucks, obviously.

If I were you I would sell your disc and get the digital deluxe. DLC discounts are usually few and far between (at least on the PS Store, I guess it is similar for the Xbox).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I learned my lesson with ACIII. Never buy an AC game Day 1 no matter how good it is. And ever since they started doing the Gold Editions I've just waited to get that for cheap. Only downside is that you can only ever get does digitally. Retail Gold Edition rarely go too cheap.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Sort of agree- it does happen with a lot of companies (sans Nintendo), but Ubisoft in particular- their games just devalue like CRAZY. NEVER buy a $100 gold edition from them- especially if its a big fall release like Assasins Creed, or pay full price for DLC- you can probably get it for half that during the big holiday sales on PSN. Think I paid about $48 for Gold edition of AC:Odyssey back in December (less than 2 months after launch). Just be patient with them, and wait a few months. Instead of buying the NEW Ubisoft game, instead, get one of their old ones you didn't play (they are most all huge games, and then when your done with that, the new one will be dirt cheap too, lol.)