• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
So Assassin's Creed Odyssey is on sale right now on Xbox One, Gold Edition is on sale too, same as Ultimate Edition. You know what isn't discounted? Season pass. The same season pass that is included in both Ultimate and Gold Editions.
If you have a gold subscription you can buy Gold Edition for 33$ but even if you don't you can buy it for 40$, 60$ off the regular 100$. That's the same price that season pass alone costs. For someone like me who bought the standard edition day one, that's a big fuck you in the face. The best scenario for me now would be to purchase digital gold edition and sell my retail standard game - of course had I bought the game digital I wouldn't even have this option.
I know what most of you will say "you should have waited, it's your fault, blahblah". Yeah don't worry I know it's my decision, I am just saying that these policies only set a bad precedent and harm the industry in the long run. It was the first time I bough a Ubisoft game day one because I really wanted to play it and I have no regrets, I fully enjoyed it. But still it's disappointing to see this stance and that was the point of the thread.

Will I buy a Ubisoft game again day one? Not sure, will have to double / triple think about it.
I learned to wait to buy games partly cause of Ubi. I didn't play AC Unity and glad I didn't until it was about 3 months later, and the majority of bugs were ironed out.

Taught me to wait for you Day One lot to beta test games for me.

Other game that taught me to wait was Injustice/MK, considering they always have a complete collection out for cheaper.

It's why i haven't gotten DBFZ yet, and waited til SF5 got its second pass.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I'm in the same boat right now, OP. Bought the PC version around launch and couldn't care less about it going on sale now (I didn't pay the full retail price to begin with) but the season pass not going on sale while the Gold Edition of the game does is incredibly annoying. I'm interested in the DLC (despite the romance issues in First Blade) but I'm not going to pay 40 bucks for it and if Ubisoft don't bother discounting it, I'll just not play it.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
FFS people really will moan about anything these days. Just buy the season pass if you want it. Or don't.

Just because you purchased the standard edition at launch doesn't mean Uni owe you a sale of the season pass. Especially when their big DLC is about to arrive.

What? Do you even understand the argument? OP is upset because you can get the game and the season pass cheaper if you haven't bought it for much cheaper than JUST the season pass. Therefore any early adopter is boned. So you want them to spend 100 dollars for the same content with a season pass that isn't even finished when someone can buy the SAME thing for 33 dollars.

It's fine buying a game day one, but it's pretty pathetic not to have just the season pass on sale stand alone just to nickle and dime people who spent the most on it.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
So far that was my only experience of that kind. I mostly buy Nintendo games day one because I know they don't easily drop in price. The last time I bought a game of publisher other than Nintendo day one was Skyrim in 2011.
I see, that makes sense. At least you gained something from it. It's a general practice within the industry (aparently excluding Nintendo, something I'm not familiar with because my last Nintendo game was Zelda OoT 3D). You are better off in 90% of the cases when you just wait – and season passes are rarely discounted.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that how the sale should be?
Nobody is complaining about there being a sale. The problem is that editions of the game which include the season pass are massively discounted (to the point where they're barely any more expensive than the season pass is on its own) while the season pass itself doesn't go on sale.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I got about 300 quid worth of fun from a day one Odyssey purchase so I'm good, even if they try to devalue it by throwing AC3 at me.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given how much content their games tend to possess at launch, I can't get too worked up.

Also, Ubisoft games always go on sale fast. If you're patient, you can get them for half off relatively soon after release.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is ultimately why I never got to play any of the Final Fantasy XV DLC, because while things like the Royal Edition got heavy sales the season pass never did.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I kinda regret pre-ordering Mario + Rabbids and Starlink, but I've had so much fun with both that it's not really something that weighs on me.
Heh I also bought Mario + Rabbids with Switch and now I wish I bought Mario Odyssey instead. Not that it makes me angry, not at Ubisoft atleast. I'm not gonna get mad at good deals for the consumer, my disappointment is more with Nintendo for not having proper discounts on Odyssey yet. (I think 33% is lowest it's went at Eshop). Though Mario + Rabbids is also so damn good and unexpected partnership, I don't mind supporting it at full price. Could have spent that money so much worse.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Make a topic on a very popular forum to raise awareness

That would sure make me look like an idiot.
No, you're not an idiot. As a Day 1 buyer of both Origins and Oddesey, I wanted to buy the season pass for both since I heard the game had gone on heavy discount. Since both season passes are still full price ($39.99), the only option for me to buy the season pass for less was to buy the gold editions of both for $33 and $25). Ubi does this with all of there games and is the same reason I never purchased the year passes for Siege since i'd have to buy the full game with all of operators despite already owning the full-game.

They really need to start discounting the season passes proportionally to the gold discounts and until they do so I will not purchase any of their DLC.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Really enjoyed AC Odyssey back at launch and I just finished the Legacy of the First Blade expansion last week which was also very good. Looking forward to The Fate of Atlantis once all three episodes are released. So for me, it's been well worth the cost day one.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
After enjoying the dlc for Origins, I made sure to get the gold edition of Odyssey to avoid getting ripped off once the dlc is finally out. It worked in my favor for Odyssey so far, but I wish I hadn't gotten the gold edition for Far Cry 5.

I'd feel better about it all (as I'm sure you would as well) if they didn't discount the gold and ultimate editions so heavily. If they still think the standalone dlc (not yet all released) is worth full price, then all the other bundles containing it should reflect that. It's a very specific subset of early game adopters that are also late dlc adopters that are getting the shortest end of the stick.