• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sat-to...re-social-and-economic-background-11557999000

OG-CR472_201905_M_20190515190505.png

xMBE80a_d.jpg

cbjDNRi_d.jpg

The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.
This new number, called an adversity score by college admissions officers, is calculated using 15 factors including the crime rate and poverty levels from the student's high school and neighborhood. Students won't be told the scores, but colleges will see the numbers when reviewing their applications.
Fifty colleges used the score last year as part of a beta test. The College Board plans to expand it to 150 institutions this fall, and then use it broadly the following year.

Interesting

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that students shouldn't be able to see the scores.

What other metrics does it include?
Family assets and income, parents educational history, nation of origin, etc and other factors should be included. They all contribute to a child's socioeconomic privilege.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
This seems like a great idea if done correctly.

It's not even new, really. Way back in the late 90s, that's basically what my college did with me. My SAT score was a little low for my university, but I had the highest SAT score in my entire county where I lived. So my college was like, "Yeah, we get it."

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
poverty levels from the student's high school and neighborhood

If they are doing this, I hope they use race/ethnic-specific poverty levels as it's far more accurate than the whole population poverty levels.

Tons of examples of what I'm getting at, but think of poverty levels for white communities compared to black communities in a segregated town.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting idea, but how they compute these scores could be open to a lot of problems. I wonder how oversight would work?

e.g. if they account for certain disadvantages but don't account for others it would be doubly unfair to people whose disadvantages aren't covered.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm one of the most adversest people I know. Does this mean the government will pay off my student loans?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
All I can see a upper middle class students being bused to the hood. Time is really a flat circle

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't agree that students shouldn't be able to see the scores.

What other metrics does it include?
Family assets and income, parents educational history, nation of origin, etc and other factors should be included. They all contribute to a child's socioeconomic privilege.

Yes there is an image in the link where it captures things like single parent, economic conditions of neighbourhood etc

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yes there is an image in the link where it captures things like single parent, economic conditions of neighbourhood etc

Can't access it because I don't pay for WSJ

They should also include factors like family size and if any members in the parent/child unit are LGBTQ. LGBTQ parents either have to adopt or spend dozens of thousands of dollars to IVF procreate, not to mention they often face discrimination in their career and communities so it makes a difference in the adversity faced in a family unit

Oct 25, 2017
So the test is going to rebalance based on black-box factors students can't see
and the college is going to rebalance on factors they won't report

Maybe just give up on standardized tests entirely.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. Just end them.

The college application industry is good at gaming this stuff as Operation Varsity Blues showed.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Why on earth won't students see their own scores?
This. I guess it's in part to obfuscate errors and prevent reverse engineering so you can game it.

But that said big schools have admissions staff that do this research already. I think they are just making a uniform one across the whole US that colleges can chooses to use or ignore.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
While I applaud the college board for doing something progressive at all, I feel like this will be one of those band-aid fixes that lets state and local lawmakers continue to do nothing about the actual problem which is lack of funding and resources for many public schools. Some kind of after-the-fact fix just reads as an attempt to redirect focus to differences in test scores when these are an effect of a lot of problems that lawmakers are not serious about solving... kind of like how Boston recently hired an ex-Googler to create an algorithm to match kids to schools to create a "fair" bussing system that it turns out only exacerbated the already abysmal segregation problem in Boston's schools, only now the local politicians can shift the blame to a computer.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

I'm of the opinion that standardized scores should be one optional path toward admission among many, such as being able to choose between submitting a standardized test score OR submit class ranking OR doing a personal/virtual interview OR through some other process like a summer high school precollege internship/program at the university. Provide options to students with different disabilities/abilities, strengths and weaknesses to demonstrate to admission officers their potential besides one number on a paper

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
For those who can't access paywall:

Factors :

Neighbourhood
  1. Crime rate
  2. Poverty rate
  3. Housing values
  4. Vacancy rate
Family environment
  1. Median income
  2. Single parent
  3. Education level
  4. ESL
High School Environment
  1. Under matching
  2. Curricular rigor
  3. Free lunch rate
  4. AP opportunity

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

American Essay tests were created explicitly to discriminate against an overachieving minority.

Giving context to the scores is good. It doesnt mean the scores arent worth anything.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it's bad PR for this to be immediately labeled by race on a chart... when it's apparently determined by much more than race.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a smart idea, but the parents who are the loudest and most persistent probably have kids with the lowest score so I doubt this will last

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Definitely number 1. Once kids start comparing notes on College Board, then people will start thinking of ways to abuse the system.

Those scores will get out eventually, and the games will begin.

My first thought was actually wondering what would come first: the lawsuit from Asian parents or the mad rush to get their kids into schools in undesirable (but not too undesireable) neighborhoods.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm of the opinion that standardized scores should be one optional path toward admission among many, such as being able to choose between submitting a standardized test score OR submit class ranking OR doing a personal/virtual interview OR through some other process like a summer high school precollege internship/program at the university. Provide options to students with different disabilities/abilities, strengths and weaknesses to demonstrate to admission officers their potential besides one number on a paper
The American system is already quite decentralized on standardized tests compared to most other countries. Even the fact that you send in personal essays and information about extracurriculars is really remarkable.

Not to mention that interviews, summer work etc. is already considered.

In Turkey, there's literally just a 2-step national entrance exam that gives you a score and a ranking and that's what you use to pick schools. It's fucking terrible. The American system is much better.

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand this seems great for people who come from these backgrounds, on the other hand it just seems like a bandaid than a solution for the actual roots of the problem.

Also how do they want to make sure the students who got bonus points are even up to the task after passing?

Oct 27, 2017
The devil will definitely be in the details. How they compute the score will make or break this idea

Also how do they want to make sure the students who got bonus points are even up to the task after passing?
Why would the SAT be in charge of that? Whatever school they get into should be the one with the resources to help them as they'll be students at that school

They aren't optional, but no school solely, or even primarily, looks at SAT test scores. There's a reason apps ask for tons of other, non-quantitative supplementary material

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
For those who can't access paywall:

Factors :

Neighbourhood
  1. Crime rate
  2. Poverty rate
  3. Housing values
  4. Vacancy rate
Family environment
  1. Median income
  2. Single parent
  3. Education level
  4. ESL
High School Environment
  1. Under matching
  2. Curricular rigor
  3. Free lunch rate
  4. AP opportunity

Ok this is good. I just argue there should be more based off of more factors that I know contribute to adversity:

- LGBTQ parents/children
- First generation American or not
- Family size compared to family income
- Incarcerated parent(s) or not
- Foster/orphan status or not
- Student employment (FT/PT/not employed)
- Student disability status (not sure if this is legal, but it definitely contributes to adversity in academic performance)

I guess no metric can be perfect.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Ok this is good. I just argue there should be more based off of more factors that I know contribute to adversity:

- LGBTQ parents/children
- Student disability status (not sure if this is legal, but it definitely contributes to adversity in academic performance)

Yeah my feeling is that, in general, the things they're including are good, but given that the College Board is already a weird middleman that inserted itself into the college application process as a purely moneymaking endeavor they're more interested in doing just enough for people to justify continuing to pay out the ass for the test than actually creating a system to help students dealing with adversity.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The devil will definitely be in the details. How they compute the score will make or break this idea

Why would the SAT be in charge of that? Whatever school they get into should be the one with the resources to help them as they'll be students at that school

They aren't optional, but no school solely, or even primarily, looks at SAT test scores. There's a reason apps ask for tons of other, non-quantitative supplementary material

You're right, I just advocate for increasing more options and putting less mandatory weight on standardized test scores.

This is a problem with graduate school too. The GRE doesn't correlate at all to success in career or academics in graduate school. It's nice that some people score highly to offset their GPA, but the number itself isn't very meaningful. So I'm an advocate of holistic admissions and options.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I think the best metric should be percentile of your neighborood. It's objective enough to not be too abusable, and basically impossible to game ( unless rich people start living in poor areas, at which point though the Average score would go up and it defeat the point).

Oct 27, 2017

- LGBTQ parents/children

I think the problem with these is that some of them can go either way

- LGBTQ parents/children
Depending on the neighborhood this could either be of great significance or minimal. I'm assuming they're already taking into account where the person lives

Could go either way. Nigerian immigrants are among the most educated groups period, and a number of other immigrant groups were wealthy enough to emigrate so their children being first generation is an advantage in those cases

This would already be captured by the family status section if they have no parents

Again, this could be conflated with other things. For instance someone working because they have to is different from someone working to make extra money in an already well off household

But the other ones sound good.

I think the best metric should be percentile of your neighborood. It's objective enough to not be too abusable, and basically impossible to game ( unless rich people start living in poor areas, at which point though the Average score would go up and it defeat the point).

I don't see how this could be gamed anyway. Your school choices are locked based on district. You can't just apply to a school outside your district because you feel like it. If rich people somehow start getting their kids into "worst school districts" that'll only be possible if the districts are redrawn to include those rich people's houses, which will raise the property value of the district, in turn raising the funding their schools receive and will raise the performance of the district. So, it's basically a win win situation even if some people try to "game" the system

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, I just advocate for increasing more options and putting less mandatory weight on standardized test scores.

This is a problem with graduate school too. The GRE doesn't correlate at all to success in career or academics in graduate school. It's nice that some people score highly to offset their GPA, but the number itself isn't very meaningful. So I'm an advocate of holistic admissions and options.

I don't think any graduate admissions committee puts much weight on the GRE.. at least for PhD programs

Oct 25, 2017
"Mom and Dad: if you could get divorced this year, that would really help me out."

"Also could you rent an apartment in the bad part of town? Thx"

gully state

Oct 27, 2017

- LGBTQ parents/children
Depending on the neighborhood this could either be of great significance or minimal. I'm assuming they're already taking into account where the person lives

Could go either way. Nigerian immigrants are among the most educated groups period, and a number of other immigrant groups were wealthy enough to emigrate so their children being first generation is an advantage in those cases

This would already be captured by the family status section if they have no parents

Again, this could be conflated with other things. For instance someone working because they have to is different from someone working to make extra money in an already well off household

But the other ones sound good.

I don't see how this could be gamed anyway. Your school choices are locked based on district. You can't just apply to a school outside your district because you feel like it. If rich people somehow start getting their kids into "worst school districts" that'll only be possible if the districts are redrawn to include those rich people's houses, which will raise the property value of the district, in turn raising the funding their schools receive and will raise the performance of the district. So, it's basically a win win situation even if some people try to "game" the system

Rich people often have more than one property. Just set your mailing address to a low income rental property in a desired school district. I've seen it done so that a kid could go to a good school outside of their district back when I was in HS.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I don't think any graduate admissions committee puts much weight on the GRE.. at least for PhD programs

Yeah my experience was also that it doesn't matter much, more like if you do super poorly it might disqualify you, but if you get a perfect score and your writing sample/research samples are crap it's not gonna help you much

(not that grad school applications do a good job of helping underrepresented students get into school)

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

- LGBTQ parents/children

I assume they could use sociologists and statistics to examine which parts are significant and design a metric around this LGBTQ theme that captures the significance in some way. I'm not sure. I just know that LGBTQ families face different challenges than hetero families.

I'm not just looking at this through the lens of wealth or assets. Being a first generation American produces adversity outside of financial. It's a culture shock, it's isolating, discrimination is experienced.

I think the parent section probably covers how many legal guardians you have, not what type of guardians you have (if you're a foster child, you may have 1 or 2 legal parents, but that hides the adversity you faced as a foster child)

True, but its probably far more likely that most students don't work unless it is for some purpose. Besides that, working 10, 20, or 40 hours a week makes a big difference in how much time you have to study or SAT prep.