• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

I'm back, friends. Let's talk about the Scandinavian concept of "hygge" in video games.

Interesting concept, didn't knew it was a thing, and I liked it without knowing. x)
"Socializing for the introspective" heh, I dig it.

For those unaware, Satchel "like a bag" Drakes does some of the highest quality tech, game & media analysis. Production values are amazing and what are you doing that you aren't subscribed to him yet?

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
That was a nice watch. 'Hygge' in many ways reminds me of the Dutch 'Gezelligheid'. Stardew Valley seems like another game that would qualify as 'Hygge', for reasons similar to Animal Crossing. I'd say Hearthstone also qualifies as 'Hygge', in an extension of the World of Warcraft tavern / inn.

wGhsyxE.png

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Satchel is alive? Glorious day! I'll check this out later, I'm knee deep in a podcast right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
That was a nice watch. 'Hygge' in many ways reminds me of the Dutch 'Gezelligheid'. Stardew Valley seems like another game that would qualify as 'Hygge', for reasons similar to Animal Crossing. I'd say Hearthstone also qualifies as 'Hygge', in an extension of the World of Warcraft tavern / inn.
Most definitely. :)

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I think people are reading way too much into this word. It basically just means cozy.
The Norwegian word koselig (the Norwegian variant of the Danish hyggelig) translates to exactly that.
The word hyggelig means that someone are nice basically or that something is nice in Norwegian so it has a slightly different meaning than the danish word.

I'm Norwegian and we tend to pack in, drink kakao when it's cold and tend our homes so we enjoy being in them, but it's just the way we are. And it really is just cozy :)
It's not some magical Scandinavian thing though, people do this all over the world.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I think people are reading way too much into this word. It basically just means cozy.
The Norwegian word koselig (the Norwegian variant of the Danish hyggelig) translates to exactly that.
The word hyggelig means that someone are nice basically or that something is nice in Norwegian so it has a slightly different meaning than the danish word.

I'm Norwegian and we tend to pack in, drink kakao when it's cold and tend our homes so we enjoy being in them, but it's just the way we are. And it really is just cozy :)
It's not some magical Scandinavian thing though, people do this all over the world.
Yeah watching this video it just sounds like all the usual positive connotations and imagery that "coziness" brings up.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
tyfon

lol, it's just commenting on the recent trend, nobody is arguing something magical about it. xD

I know, I was commenting on the recent trend ;)
Many the web thinks this is something magical in Scandinavia when it really is something that happens all over the world.

I just felt the need to clarify.. I'm not saying it's not cosy/koselig but it's sort of a pet peevee of mine that this is something unique to Scandinavia.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I was commenting on the recent trend ;)
Many the web thinks this is something magical in Scandinavia when it really is something that happens all over the world.

I just felt the need to clarify.. I'm not saying it's not cosy/koselig but it's sort of a pet peevee of mine that this is something unique to Scandinavia.
Like he says in the video, is mostly about spreading/making it familiar to people on this side of the ocean. :)

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Love Satch's videos. I wasn't aware of hygge as a full-blown concept/movement, although I'm very familiar with that style of Instagram picture haha. I'll grab Wiking's book.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm glad hygge has become this phenomenon overseas. It's a word I used to describe games like Animal Crossing and some of my favorite parts of Zelda games back when I grew up. It is an essential descriptor.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I think that the way that hygge is different to the Danes compared to coziness in English or koselighet in Norwegian is both that it seems to have turned into a larger cultural phenomenon and part of the collective Danish national fabric, and also that the concept of hygge in Denmark is primarily used to describe the coziness of a socially shared experience (which isn't true for coziness or koselighet).

So coziness in English and koselig in Norweigian are words that have not been transformed into a larger cultural cornerstone in the way that hygge has in Denmark. That's not to say that the thing itself only exists in Denmark; obviously that's not the case.