• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Shocked it catching on fire happens every year. This looks insane in comparison.

I am typically not shook by the global warming articles, this summer has gotten to me. The whole world is melting this summer.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see why more countries aren't discussing technological solutions and mitigation through public works. That's far more likely to actually stick than expecting people to just do the right thing. Humans suck at not doing things. We're not wired for it as a whole. But we're really really good at doing things.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
The people of Pompeji also had time to flee as there was volcanic activity beforehand. Those petrified bodies that are a tourist attraction nowadays were the ones that were literally going 'This is fine.' and didn't flee, yet we tell ourselves today that they were surprised by a sudden, unforseeable erruption. Maybe because we know deep down that we haven't actually changed a bit in 2000 years.
In the end a species unable to adapt is doomed to extinction, this isn't nihilism or some edgy hot take, this is how nature works.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am somewhat suprised that the news only hit now. Germany was talking about it for the last few days already.

Yeah, it's bad. Fires do happen up there, but just not to this degree.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see why more countries aren't discussing technological solutions and mitigation through public works. That's far more likely to actually stick than expecting people to just do the right thing. Humans suck at not doing things. We're not wired for it as a whole. But we're really really good at doing things.
Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by that as well. Make no mistake, trying to keep the amount of climate change as small as possible is obviously very important. Though, to be honest, the fact that so much attention is given to the things the average person can (or much rather can't, as you say) do irks me in no small way, because it conveniently ignores big and powerful industries emitting much more greenhouse gases than anyone else.

To come back to the point you made, yes, I fully agree. It strikes me as some kind of wishful thinking -- "Hey, if we all don't fly as much anymore and eat less meat, maybe things won't be so bad after all!" Yeah, no. That ship has sailed a good while ago. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to (not) do these things, but that simply won't cut it.

Looking at this thread, though, maybe it's not wishful thinking but defeatism. Yes, it's gonna get warmer and more extreme weather patterns will emerge. Now, how are you going to deal with that and especially help those with fewer means to do so?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, in the Arctic:

on-fire.jpeg

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Climate change is just a lingering source of depression in my life that I will not actively think about for a few days and then it always pops back up. I'm fucking sick of it

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It so depressing how this is not breaking news or a headline in most news websites. The earth will survive us either way.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
How difficult is it for the people with their head in the sand about this to understand how fragile our place on this planet actually is? We're not special.

When it all goes to shit, I hope every one of the cunt's who had the power to enact large-scale change and continued to sit idly by get battered to fuck or worse.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How difficult is it for the people with their head in the sand about this to understand how fragile our place on this planet actually is? We're not special.

When it all goes to shit, I hope every one of the cunt's who had the power to enact large-scale change and continued to sit idly by get battered to fuck or worse.
Nah, those people will fuck off to their private islands and lead a happy life with all the resources they need.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I would not be against benevolent aliens dismantling our civilization and forcing us to return to the neolithic.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Positive feedback loops are a bitch.

It's just trees right?
Who needs trees?
Actually it's mostly peatlands, one of the most dense Carbon sinks found in nature.

Burning a peatland is one of the most destructive acts possible when it comes to releasing CO2, because not only are you releasing the very densely stored Carbon, you're also destroying the most efficient Carbon storage ecosystem we have.

At this point I would not be against benevolent aliens dismantling our civilization and forcing us to return to the neolithic.
External intervention of that nature will not be required.

Earth will do just fine putting us in our place all on it's own.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
That's some Mad Max shit in the making. I 100% expect to fight in a war for water before I die.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They might need to bring forward the date where we start boiling in our own skins.
They said a few decades in the last estimate.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Positive feedback loops are a bitch.

Actually it's mostly peatlands, one of the most dense Carbon sinks found in nature.

Burning a peatland is one of the most destructive acts possible when it comes to releasing CO2, because not only are you releasing the very densely stored Carbon, you're also destroying the most efficient Carbon storage ecosystem we have.
Oh shit. Thanx. Didn't know.
Even worse than i imagined

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Part of the problem is that in some countries the government's deliberately built not to do that, and would require immense power among political parties which are very difficult to create (like getting 2/3rd majority congress in the US). The president can't just snap their fingers and fix things like that.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is that in some countries the government's deliberately built not to do that, and would require immense power among political parties which are very difficult to create (like getting 2/3rd majority congress in the US). The president can't just snap their fingers and fix things like that.
The political parties are also part of the group of people that you bolded in the other post

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Uhm.. the eh.. arctic is on fire?

This is like something out of a batch comedy sketch or something, what the fuck.