• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Vast stretches of Earth's northern latitudes are on fire right now. Hot weather has engulfed a huge portion of the Arctic, from Alaska to Greenland to Siberia. That's helped create conditions ripe for wildfires, including some truly massive ones burning in remote parts of the region that are being seen by satellites.

Pierre Markuse, a satellite imagery processing guru, has documented some of the blazes attacking the forests and peatlands of the Arctic. The imagery reveals the delicate landscapes with braided rivers, towering mountains, and vast swaths of forest, all under a thick blanket of smoke.

In Alaska, those images show some of the damage wrought by wildfires that have burned more than 1.6 million acres of land this year. Huge fires have sent smoke streaming cities earlier this month, riding on the back of Anchorage's first 90 degree day ever recorded. The image below show some of the more remote fires in Alaska as well as the Swan Lake Fire, which was responsible for the smoke swallowing Anchorage in late June and earlier this month.

Intense hot conditions have also fanned flames in Siberia. The remote nature of many of the fires there means they're burning out of control, often, through swaths of peatland that's normally frozen or soggy. But as Thomas Smith, a fire expert at London School of Economics, noted on Twitter, there are ample signs the peat dried out due to the heat and is ablaze. That's worrisome since peat is rich in carbon, and fires can release it into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide. Peat fires can also burn underground into the winter and reignite in spring.

xbcjm28ofghgmbjg56x3.jpg

v6mdzdc10jv1h4fz7f2v.jpg

Not scary at all, nope.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no climate scientist, but I'm going to file this under

uh

is that supposed to happen

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say we had a good run, but - meh -

thanks Earth, good luck with the cleanup once humans are gone

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is gut wrenching events, guess we better start mutating into fishes.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I don't know enough about the Arctic, but maaaaaaaan, that really looks baaaaaad.

I really wish we were doing more to make this sort of thing less worrying.

Correction, I really wish we were doing ANYTHING TO STOP THIS WORLD BURNING ITSELF TO DEATH.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But remember guys, since we still have snow and cold weather during winter, everything is peachy. Let's panic the day snow doesn't exist anymore, alright?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, been burning for a minute now. June was a horrific month already. Plus, all this destruction is compounding the problem by releasing even more CO2 poison into the atmosphere

Estimated June total #wildfire #CO2 emissions for the #Arctic Circle from 2003-2019. 50 Mt CO2 is equivalent to 2017 national fossil fuel CO2 emissions for Bulgaria, Hungary and Sweden https://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/overview.php?v=booklet2018&sort=asc9 … @EU_ScienceHub @adamvaughan_uk
D-jkfmCX4AATfBe.png:large

One of those nasty negative cycles, which we'll have to get used to as more and more burns down.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man...fuck all of this. I'm not going to put children into this dystopian hellscape. Things will look really fucking bad in 30 years.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
jesus.

i bet cavemen who saw this stuff 20,000 years ago were completely losing their shit.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Why isn't this national news. Why am I just hearing about this now, but president dickead tweeting about freeing A$AP Rocky is a headline. Fuck man.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't this national news. Why am I just hearing about this now, but president dickead tweeting about freeing A$AP Rocky is a headline. Fuck man.

There's a very good case to be made that as a species, we are simply too distructive and delusional about our collective actions to preserve life on this planet.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
If that kind of news doesn't light a fucking figurative fire under all of the united governments, nothing will.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just burn the whole fucking planet. There's no way to prevent this anymore and our "leaders" don't give a shit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, where did I put that snowball I use as a visual aid to expose the FICTION of climate change? There's just a big splotch of water in my drawer here.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Not to throw more bleakness on this or metacommentary, maybe because its a Saturday night where I am, but its somewhat illuminating that this kind of news would be eye catching on here or anywhere else with a title like that, yet has so few views and responses compared to stories on no-name people in daily social media spats. Probably should give it more time, but I don't forsee this information garnering much more attention than it already has.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so surreal to know that we are all stuck on this earth and it is turning to shit and we could totally do something about it but there is a cabal of antisocial freaks running everything who want to kill as many people as possible.