• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the OT for the game? If this is a bad necro my apologies but I picked this up during the Epic sale for $17 and it's kind of consumed all my free time.

I've got access through tier 6 and just unlocked Fuel Generators. Is there any MAM research that's absolutely essential? I feel like I've neglected everything except power shards and alien organisms.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the OT for the game? If this is a bad necro my apologies but I picked this up during the Epic sale for $17 and it's kind of consumed all my free time.

I've got access through tier 6 and just unlocked Fuel Generators. Is there any MAM research that's absolutely essential? I feel like I've neglected everything except power shards and alien organisms.

For whatever reason the game never really took off here. Dunno if it's Epic store stuff, a lack of enthusiasm for factories, being related to THQ Nordic, or what, but just never seemed much interest. I wonder if it can find another life here with the Steam release.

You definitely want to do the Caterium, Quartz and Sulfur research trees, because that gets you a lot of stuff like better power poles, blade runners to move faster, explosives, vehicles and some other good recipes. To start it off you just need to find a sample or mine somewhere on the map each of the resources. You should be able to look up where the nodes are online if you haven't found one. Once you get some and scan it in the MAM you can start scanning for it.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason the game never really took off here. Dunno if it's Epic store stuff, a lack of enthusiasm for factories, being related to THQ Nordic, or what, but just never seemed much interest. I wonder if it can find another life here with the Steam release.

You definitely want to do the Caterium, Quartz and Sulfur research trees, because that gets you a lot of stuff like better power poles, blade runners to move faster, explosives, vehicles and some other good recipes. To start it off you just need to find a sample or mine somewhere on the map each of the resources. You should be able to look up where the nodes are online if you haven't found one. Once you get some and scan it in the MAM you can start scanning for it.
Yeah I'm finding that I should have done much more research early on. I'm kind of stuck with coal till I get through those trees and hopefully start mining those things. The good news is my production lines are complete (if an utterly incomprehensible mess...) so I'm good on any resources that require coal, iron, copper, limestone, or crude oil. Caterium is on my list since I need it for Fuel Generators.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

It might, but most pc only games don't get much traction around here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
From this video they're hoping for some time in May, steam game price = $29.95 USD no hard date. Multiplayer is cross compatible between steam and epic but it seems like one of the dev challenges keeping them from releasing.

No specific date and it might get pushed.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that's kept me coming back to this game is the lack of any sort of copy/paste ability. I think playing Factorio between updates 2 & 3 did it in for me.

Looking at an output number from a Level 2 miner with some shards, and knowing the number of machines/belts/pipes that need to be setup to get it working 100% really takes the wind out of my sails. The first time I figure out a nice design for something, it's really fun, but when I have to do it again and again, it loses a lot of the luster. Even if there was copy/paste didn't connect pipes and belts, because I can see that being really hard, just an ability to reuse a basic layout of constructors and splitter/merger arrays would be soooo nice.

I know there's a mod that does it, but it looks real clunky. If I decided to get back into this fully, I may need to do that though.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've just plain made a mess of things. I just started looking up some guides and layouts and my god is everything just a mess. I'm actively trying to avoid trucks/vehicles for transport of goods just because I don't want to set up the AI routes so I've been piping or conveyoring everything to my primary base of operations. Right now my base is a plate of conveyor spaghetti. Once I get Fuel generation handled I think I'm going to spend a day and just rebuild things into a cleaner facility actually using the foundation blocks to create multiple floors and such.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that's kept me coming back to this game is the lack of any sort of copy/paste ability. I think playing Factorio between updates 2 & 3 did it in for me.

Looking at an output number from a Level 2 miner with some shards, and knowing the number of machines/belts/pipes that need to be setup to get it working 100% really takes the wind out of my sails. The first time I figure out a nice design for something, it's really fun, but when I have to do it again and again, it loses a lot of the luster. Even if there was copy/paste didn't connect pipes and belts, because I can see that being really hard, just an ability to reuse a basic layout of constructors and splitter/merger arrays would be soooo nice.

I know there's a mod that does it, but it looks real clunky. If I decided to get back into this fully, I may need to do that though.

That's the challenge - as much as this emulates Factorio, it has far more UI challenges to address because of the 1st person perspective. I don't think I would have minded as much if I didn't play Factorio prior to Satisfactory, but I can't help but compare the two.

ScampyDamp

Banned
May 8, 2020
I always thought this looked pretty cool but I was never good at these builder type games, I'm not smart nor patient enough for them.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've just plain made a mess of things. I just started looking up some guides and layouts and my god is everything just a mess. I'm actively trying to avoid trucks/vehicles for transport of goods just because I don't want to set up the AI routes so I've been piping or conveyoring everything to my primary base of operations. Right now my base is a plate of conveyor spaghetti. Once I get Fuel generation handled I think I'm going to spend a day and just rebuild things into a cleaner facility actually using the foundation blocks to create multiple floors and such.

When you get to trains that really lets you streamline a lot of the long distance stuff. I never bothered with trucks either because they seemed so spotty. So definitely had some extremely long conveyor belts on my map. Once you get trains bringing a ton of resources across the map becomes a lot simpler, because the tracks are way faster to build, and your throughput isn't limited by the number of belts.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Coming to Steam on June 8th!
www.youtube.com

Coffee Stain

Satisfactory is coming to Steam on Monday, June 8! And yeah, we said Tuesday in the past, but we say a lot of things. I know it's been frustrating that we ha...