• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Satisfactory was announced on Steam and had Steam store page for months. Then suddenly few days ago store page was removed. And today it was announced as Epic Store game. That is how competition looks like to Epic.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1N0UjV3.jpg

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
That isn't competition. Launcher exclusivity is just what all the other launchers are doing. Release it on both and let them compete by adding features. I won't support this shit.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's your fucking "competition" folks. This is all these other launchers are good for, console level "competition".

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
All that money and you think Epic would just try to make some of their own video games.

Like an arena shooter or something.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Was in the middle of creating my own thread when I saw this one. Here's what I put:

So.

This is Satisfactory.

Satisfactory was due to be released on Steam until 2 days ago, as per the SteamDB entry, where it can be seen that it was removed:
  • Removed Release DateComing Soon
  • Removed CategoriesSingle-player, Multi-player, Online Multi-Player, Co-op, Online Co-op, Steam Achievements, Partial Controller Support, Steam Cloud
  • Removed store name – Satisfactory

It seems like Epic money-hatted it away to be a full exclusive, or at the very least a timed exclusive. Whilst it is entirely possible that the developers decided the 88/12 split was better than a concurrent Steam/Epic store release, it raises questions about how "competition" will work in this. On another thread, I posted this:
Competing on games is not competing. It requires the consumer to make a choice, but making a choice is not equal to choice itself.

Example: Sony and MS are are competitors, but they're not competing,. There is no game on the XBone I want. I love Bloodborne. So, to me, they aren't competing, I've just made a choice to buy a PS4, because it has Bloodborne. But if Bloodborne were on the XBone, I would have to make a choice about which system to get, based on controller preference, UI/UX, 4K BR support, Backwards Compatibilty, etc.

But, since Bloodborne isn't on the XBone, I'm forced to buy a PS4, regardless of if I want anything else related to it.

Now apply that to Epic/BNet/MSStore/Origin. See how they're not really competing with Valve, they're just vying for the consumer's wallet.

I have absolutely no problem with a competing store, but I do have a problem with dragging in console-style tactics to the wider PC market. I fear that a diverse range of third-party games being exclusive to this store or that store will harm discoverability - as customers won't be able to find certain titles without a tremendous amount of effort - confuse customers - for the same reason - and ultimately hurt developers and publishers. Exclusives just about work on console because of the limited selection of competitors - Sony, MS, Nintendo - but on PC, there is now:

Battle.net
Epic
Origin
Uplay
GOG
Discord

A fragmentation which I feel will just confuse the customer, and incline them to just hedge towards one store more than the other even more than they are now. Few people are truly "Steam or bust", but having a dizzying array of stores/client with a number of titles being unavailable on their competitors is, I feel, going to push people into choosing a favourite and shrugging their shoulders at the titles they know they're going to miss.

Finally, a simple question: If a game that had until two days ago been set for release on XBone and PS4 was suddenly moneyhatted by one or the other for some unknown amount of time, would it be okay?

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
People are acting like they have to buy a whole new pc to play these games

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Game developers need to hedge their bets. If epic is willing to mitigate their risk then why wouldn't they jump at the chance? You can still play this game on PC. Don't be so freaking entitled.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty offputting and makes me not want to use their platform. I'm pretty understanding of publisher's making their own games exclusive like on Origin and Blizzard but Epic moneyhatting all these indie devs to not use other launchers and/or cancel their games on them is not what I expected to see on PC.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Era: I want Steam to have some real competition!

Epic: Ok lets make some real competition.

Era: No I don't like it!!

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Uggggggh. This would have been an easy day-1 purchase for me too. I really hope it (and all these other moneyhatted exclusives) make it out of Epic's vortex at some point.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Given all the hacking attempts on my old Epic account after Fortnite came out, I'm not particularly inclined to hand over my money to them.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
First of all: I find the practice, pathetic, and pretty low that it was announced in a place first just to be removed later like nothing happened

but, funny because... it's still on pc, just not on one storefront... at least you don't have to worry to buy another piece of hardware

People are acting like they have to buy a whole new pc to play these games

Bingo.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm admittedly a little confused as to why anyone could be upset about this. Can someone explain to me why this is bad?

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of console-like competition that is complete bullshit, and should be avoided.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Game developers need to hedge their bets. If epic is willing to mitigate their risk then why wouldn't they jump at the chance? You can still play this game on PC. Don't be so freaking entitled.

I'm entitled because I want to buy my games on the store that actually thinks about me? The store that has often pushed for fair regional pricing so I don't have to pay crazy amounts of cash for games?
Thanks.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This is neither a good form of competition, nor are all the kiddies screeching competition actually the ones that are affected and complaining about it now

Oh no, now the new excuse is that you don't need new hardware to play these games so its not bad.

The competition excuse is aleady over, defending money hatting because its just another launcher is the new mantra.