• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it Tim Sweeney moaning about walled gardens and all that for the past few years?

lol jesus

He was 'leading' the crusade against Microsoft and UWP locking people into the Windows Store.

Apparently locking people into your own store with money and not an API is fine.

As usual, money shows people as hypocrites.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they would use exclusives to lure people over to their launcher, they have fuck all else that would.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
Anti-consumer choice. Likely good business though.

1. Get a check from Epic for moving over (speculation but seems likely)
  2. Get better cut on initial sales (88%)
  3. Re-release on steam to pick up those who didn't already get it.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Walled gardens on pc, in exchange for money bags and a better rev slice for devs, and free games for players.

Interesting times, I probably wouldn't say no to the deal myself but the long term implications aren't exactly... great?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Issue is that once launch hype goes away, unless the game is utterly amazing, you lessen your sales on other platforms.

Steam is not the Switch which is thirsty for new games that people will instantly come back to it.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
For console exclusives, it hurts the wallet cos you have to buy an entire console to play a game you want to.

But I don't see how storefront exclusives will hurt anything? You just have an additional client?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm strictly a console gamer and my only computers are Macs so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but does having Steam lock you out of the Epic store the way you can't buy things from the Google store on an iOS device or from the App Store on Android?

If so, that's messed up, especially if they took pre-order money and didn't refund it.
If i am understanding corrextly, buying it on steam.wont let u access it on epic store
Meaning u coulsnt dl your purchase on the other platform
It is like gog and steam where your purchases are separate even if you own the same game.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
For console exclusives, it hurts the wallet cos you have to buy an entire console to play a game you want to.

But I don't see how storefront exclusives will hurt anything? You just have an additional client?

Why should the PC Community allow for console style money hatting exclusives?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Also now that Epic Store launched we can see that there is no regional pricing and games are at full price in all regions.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Timed exclusive on PC, where so many brilliant games are released on your client of choice? I pre-ordered Hitman 2, but haven't played it because of Artifact. Replicate that for every smaller game.
Full store exclusive, in the same situation? Well, why should I bother with Satisfactory on a different store, when I play Artifact on Steam. I will have literally forgotten this game exists, because it's not on the store I use.

Neither is good for dev/pub, consumer, or the wider marketplace.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Hypothetically, what if nobody shows up to buy? Is that lower cut worth it if you sell 1/10th (or 1/100th) that you could sell elsewhere?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

It actually hurts your wallet. Epic Store doesn't have regional pricing as I said so markets like South America and Russia pay full price instead price that is appropriate for their market.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
But that means developers get a better share! Who cares about countries where people make less money overall? THIS IS C O M P E T I T I O N

Come on now - those games were just being discounted. :p

lol. My same thought. "But I didn't know competition involved folks making money!"

Disingenous in the extreme - no-one's saying companies aren't allowed to make money, but how about they actually compete with other stores on features, community, service, etc, not on exclusivity of titles.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But that means developers get a better share! Who cares about countries where people make less money overall? THIS IS C O M P E T I T I O N

Sadly, most of the people posting here are from rich countries and seem to be unable to put themselves on other people's boots when it comes to this. US prices for games when you make 1/5th of what a US citizen makes isn't a great thing...

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
Issue is that once launch hype goes away, unless the game is utterly amazing, you lessen your sales on other platforms.

Steam is not the Switch which is thirsty for new games that people will instantly come back to it.

Sure, its hard to say if its a financially sound choice without knowing what/or if Epic put up a good amount (or any amount). Like if they just straight up wrote a check to cover their development costs and then some will the dev's care if they lose out on launch hype sales?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
It's worrisome what this implies to other titles that were shown on the Epic games store front, But since it wasn't even available for purchase yet it's not a gigantic problem

Oct 26, 2017
Come on now - those games were just being discounted. :p

Disingenous in the extreme - no-one's saying companies aren't allowed to make money, but how about they actually compete with other stores on features, community, service, etc, not on exclusivity of titles.
I'd rather be disingenuous than grumpy because companies aren't competitive in the way I want them to be.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

I like modding, guides/boards, Big Picture Mode, easy controller support and more. Epic offers jack from that. Why should I bother with their launcher when they are locking games up? Again, this is just a fucking annoyance when pubs/devs do that. I hate it on Origin Store, I hate it on Battle.Net, etc...

The difference is that I reluctantly got into Origin and Battle.Net because they do have a must play game but I am not willing to go further then that. Only thing I got on Battle.Net is Diablo 3 and that's going to be my last game there for a while. Origin I just use Origin Pass and also replay ME games.

The only true competitor is GoG which offers great support for classic/old games and DRM free entrees yet doesn't lock games behind exclusivity. So me to Epic. I can skip any of those games there and pick anything I like in a year for 1/3rd the price on Steam or GoG.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind competition i mind the fact i have 90 fucking launchers. I already have Twitch, GOG, uPlay, Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Bethesda, etc. installed. I don't want more launchers i want less. I don't want to keep adding to that i want to remove some and for that i have no interest in Epic. The only game that really interest me is Hades and that will eventually come to consoles.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, most of the people posting here are from rich countries and seem to be unable to put themselves on other people's boots when it comes to this. US prices for games when you make 1/5th of what a US citizen makes isn't a great thing...

It was really telling when their intital PR release had absolutely zero features listed for Consumers. And everything that is for consumers is slated to be released later as a promise in a seperate twitter Q/A release and not the main announcement.

And then this stuff comes out.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the median annual income in Malaysia is $6,000. Hades early access is $20. Sure, games are a luxury, but it only hurts the industry to not have regional pricing in local currency.

Oct 26, 2017

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather be disingenuous than grumpy because companies aren't competitive in the way I want them to be.
So having to open an app just to open another app with absolutely no other advantages or features is competitive? Every game should launch with their own launcher now, all you need is some shitty implementation of a friends list and you're done. That way there's more competition.

Oct 27, 2017
Flawed arguments? If you say so.

Can you honestly explain why you think this is a good thing for the consumer?

Let's play a little hypothetical game here. Let's say Epic beats Steam using this type of "competition", and 5 years from now all the major PC games are now exclusively on Epic Games launcher, with whatever DRM Epic wants to add, and no cloud saves unless you pay $5 a month for the Premium Epic Launcher. Do you think that's a good thing for PC gamers and gaming in general?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not fretting about it. I'm still going to play these games because I want to play them.

Flawed arguments? If you say so.

I mean, you said it:

(of a person or their behaviour) slightly dishonest, or not speaking the complete truth:
It was disingenuous of her to claim she had no financial interest in the case.

Oct 26, 2017
Cool.
Don't understand where this requires you to mock other peoples criticisms with strawmens, but you do you.
You take the last word, because I'm out of here. I''ll wrap up by reading what you just wrote, then reading what you wrote earlier:

Oh noes, consumer are having a negative opinion about things that disadvantage them. How aful.
Is that the level of discourse you're on?
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Satisfactory is the first game that you are seeing this for...

There are more games that will leave Steam and become Epic Games Store exclusive.

To say I'm annoyed by this might be an understatement.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible.

And I doubt it's going to be good for the developers either. I feel like some folks think they're going to be fine since they're on the same launcher as Fortnite, so they're going to have just as big of an audience as they would on Steam.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. We'll see.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
You take the last word, because I'm out of here. I''ll wrap up by reading what you just wrote, then reading what you wrote earlier:

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

There's no hypocrisy involved, you were mocking sensible criticism by putting up strawmans, i was mocking your vapid posts that had no content beyond agressivley telling people to shut up.