• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Everyday I get emails about someone trying to log into my Epic account.

Never once had that problem with Steam and I won't be spending money on the Epic launcher.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
All that money and you think Epic would just try to make some of their own video games.

Like an arena shooter or something.

More people will probably download these games added to their store than there are people who downloaded the UT alpha lmfao

--

eh, as long as devs are getting paid for moves like this I can't be mad. the only game that really got me curious was the Supergiant game and the one game that had Nakoruru

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Can you honestly explain why you think this is a good thing for the consumer?

Let's play a little hypothetical game here. Let's say Epic beats Steam using this type of "competition", and 5 years from now all the major PC games are now exclusively on Epic Games launcher, with whatever DRM Epic wants to add, and no cloud saves unless you pay $5 a month for the Premium Epic Launcher. Do you think that's a good thing for PC gamers and gaming in general?

Its actually amazing how much Shit Steam would have gotten if they did 10% of the shit that their 'competitor's did in the name of 'competition' even if they did it back when Steam wasn't the juggernaut.

Deleted member 5398

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They (Epic games) cant compete against steam one on one (Tencent overloards probably think it would take too much time and money), so they gotta play dirty and buy games for exclusivity.

And people think this is competition lol.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Watch this game sell like crap.
It'll most likely sell like crap.
Epic store is pretty much only filled with Fortnite players, who play nothing but Fortnite.

People said the same thing when COD moved over to Battle.net yet it sold like hotcakes on there.

The people who were already interested in the title will still want to buy it, regardless of it's storefront.

Yes the storefront isn't up to par with Steam & it's terrible that this is how they want to add exclusives, but saying that It'll result in the games selling less than they would've is nothing more than speculation.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
People said the same thing when COD moved over to Battle.net yet it sold like hotcakes on there.

The people who were already interested in the title will still want to buy it, regardless of it's storefront.

Yes the storefront isn't up to par with Steam & it's terrible that this is how they want to add exclusives, but saying that It'll result in the games selling less than they would've is nothing more than speculation.
Comparing a unknown indie new IP to Call of Duty is disingenuous.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway

You can't compare this to CoD. You know Activision didn't release the Crash Bandicoot Collection on their launcher? They also have an upcoming AAA game for 2019 that is on Steam right now, but not on Battle.Net. There is a reason behind these decisions.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Unlike the Epic Store, Battle.net was an already established platform with a large userbase. (I'm aware of Fortnite, but we have yet to see how Fortnite players translate into paying customers for non-F2P titles)
Furthermore, one game is call of duty, the other one is a low profile indiegame.

Last but not least, as the epic store apparently does not feature regional pricing, it is undoubtable that the game will sell less copies in all regions affected by this.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017

Conversely look at Bad North (ended the excxlusivity deal early and put the game on Steam ASAP) or Thronebreaker where CDPR admitted that they made a mistake in not releasing on Steam and that GOG sales where not where hey wanted them to be.

Also love the fact that people are posting Bug reports for Ashen on Steam Forums (because, you know, epic don't believe in the community pages).

Finalpotion

Jun 24, 2018
I actually did want to purchase this title, but I don't like having multiple launchers. I guess I'm passing on this and HADES, sigh.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

"Hot cakes" and yet they only compared sales to the Sledgehammer COD, not Black Ops 3.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Guys. Game developers need to hedge their bets. If epic is willing to mitigate their risk then why wouldn't they jump at the chance? You can still play this game on PC. Don't be so freaking entitled.

Couldn't have said it better, get with the program pc gamers, the idea of a unified storefront as you imagine on pc isn't working when theyre not doing what's in the best interest for devs.

Competition is good ya scrubs... blistering blue barnacles man...

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
You can't drive any kind of traffic using games like this that nobody has heard of. Not only will this game just end up dying now but what extra money you get from the 88% cut wont make up for the potential loss of customers.

Frankly this shit happening now rather then when Epic actually has a decent storefront it can compete with Steam on is just gonna end up making them burn out faster and see their store become undesirable doubly quick. Its like fast building to nuclear weapons but you base don't got units of defenses to protect you.....what a missplay.

Also, game devs and their (lack of) business sense never fails to amaze me.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god are you serious?! haha wow
IOM1T7S.png

So good.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't have said it better, get with the program pc gamers, the idea of a unified storefront as you imagine on pc isn't working when theyre not doing what's in the best interest for devs.

Money Hat =\= pro consumer competition.

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been annoying to boot up additional launchers - the vast majority of the games I have on, GoG, Battle.net, Uplay, Epic, and Orgin were all free stuff (On Origin I've bought a few games when they were rock bottom/came with all the DLC). That said, I really didn't have a problem with these because I could get games on steam instead (except for Orgin, hence why I've bought stuff there, no other choice).

This? Man... I don't want any of the games that are doing this to bomb, but moves like this from Epic set a really questionable precedent.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

making a choice is not equal to choice itself.

(And I have no shame in quoting myself from page one, because it's obvious people don't actually know that this isn't competition, which they would've realised if they'd read the entire thread.)

Nov 5, 2017
I'm all for another competitor in the pc launcher world. But please, let pricing and quality be the argument. Not bought exclusivity. This just looks desperate.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I can still play it without buying new stuff and the new shop works well, I'm OK with it. We already have shop exclusives from Microsoft, so it's not like it's a new concept.

I agree that having more freedom of choice and the ability to put all your games in one interconnected shop is appealing, but of all the shitty business practices going on right now in this industry, this looks really minor.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
And there goes my interest for Satisfactory. Not gonna support money hatting on pc whoops i meant "competition" (lol)

Feb 4, 2018
The Epic Store came out of nowhere and was plastered all over TGAs tonight. The whole thing feels artificial. Whatever happens between Steam, Epic Store, et al. I hope no devs become casualties. Their hard work deserves to be played by as many people as possible and I hope being on Epic isn't a deterrent to that end.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
By doing what literally every other store does: by doing better with everything around the products.

They dont even have any first party game besides fortnite, they maintain less games then "NO GAME" Valve does.

The Epic Store came out of nowhere and was plastered all over TGAs tonight. The whole thing feels artificial. Whatever happens between Steam, Epic Store, et al. I hope no devs become casualties. Their hard work deserves to be played by as many people as possible and I hope being on Epic isn't a deterrent to that end.
Its Tidal but for the Video game Industry. Down to the flashy show, 'for the developers', no mention of consumers, big money behind the scenes. money-hatted exclusives.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Epic used The Game Awards as a giant billboard. They aren't messing around. Will be interesting if they can maintain this sort of "exclusive" content moving forward.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of crossover in the discussion between this thread and the Epic Launcher thread, so hope no-one minds my cross-posting. :)

"But Valve don't do anything for their 30%."

I just realised, actually, that if there's a wholesale move away from Steam, Linux support will stagnate or even decrease. Whilst it's less of an issue now there's Proton, without other stores promoting Linux, the gradual shift away from Windows as a "requirement" for PC gaming is going to lose ground.

Other thoughts:

If Epic Launcher does well, it'll allow Valve to drop their cut from 30%. Up to now, I've always believed they hadn't because of it being slightly iffy, legally. IANAL, but I've always believed that they had no wiggle room to drop their cut because it would come close to Predatory Pricing:

also known as undercutting, is a pricing strategy in which a product or service is set at a very low price with the intention to achieve new customers (Loss leader), or driving competitors out of the market or to create barriers to entry for potential new competitors.
Basically, dropping their cut to 12% (say) would entice a large number of devs/pubs away from competitors - Humble, GOG, Origin - and they would, almost by accident, leverage their market leader position to bull out the competition.

However, Epic started this drop in store cut, and if they become competitive based on it, it would be entirely reasonable (imo, again, I Am Not A Lawyer) for Valve to follow suit, and compete for dev/pub business against Epic.

What's been ignored in a lot of this, is that other stores may get drowned by either Epic or Valve, or both. Itch.io takes a 10% cut, which even with Epic now selling games, is still attractive. But what happens if Epic really takes off? Where does that leave Itch? What about Humble, which takes a 25%-ish cut? Would Epic's undercutting of store-cut mean that devs/pubs are less inclined to sell on Humble? And that's all before Valve "start competing", by dropping their store cut. A 88% cut on the largest digital distro PC store, with everything that Steam and Valve provide, would surely be more attractive than their competitors.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what devs thing will happen when they advertise on Steam and then pull away at the last minute, that everyone just follows them to whatever store they got paid to use?