• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Blatent self quote but:

Gone.

Pffft.

At this point I'm just shrugging. PC market can fragment for all I care - I'll spend my money on things other than gaming that are just as awesome (if not even more awesome). Travel, books, music, good food, gin. I'm not rewarding businesses being stupid and removing choice from the consumer. Fuck that noise, yo.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm as mad about this as I was when Valve forced me to install Steam in order to play Half-Life 2.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, epic said 24 free games until end of 2019. So unless you are in hurry to play any of these seems sensible to wait either that or Steam release.

If not, that is more time for back log on origin, gog and steam. I don't have to and won't be giving a cent to epic games.
(I doubt devs can sell keys without any cut but we will see)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Being one of the few exclusive games on the Epic store could help them being promoted by Epic.

I'd buy it from Epic even if it was on Steam as well anyway.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yes, but when they bomb on steam they aren't locked into Steam-exclusive contracts and can be sold elsewhere

Do we know that they have contracts?

Well anyway It's impossible to compete with features at the start. Steam is like 15 years old and it's far from perfect.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Pffft.

At this point I'm just shrugging. PC market can fragment for all I care - I'll spend my money on things other than gaming that are just as awesome (if not even more awesome). Travel, books, music, good food, gin. I'm not rewarding businesses being stupid and removing choice from the consumer. Fuck that noise, yo.

You know the true irony? For me the biggest game during the Show was Obsidians and thats multiplateform (we will see about future, post Microsoft games)

Do we know that they have contracts?

Well anyway It's impossible to compete with features at the start. Steam is like 15 years old and it's far from perfect.
If they didt have contracts, they could have sold it on Steam and the Epic store and surely that is the way to generate the most money overall.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't really play on PC but the mention of PC exclusives is ridiculous to me. You literally just have to buy the game on another store.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Era: I want Steam to have some real competition!

Epic: Ok lets make some real competition.

Era: No I don't like it!!

SuperBanana: I thought you said Steam desperately needed competition?

Most of PC-Era: Actually, no we didn't say that...

SuperBanana: Oh, so you want Steam to be a monopoly then?

PC-Era: well we didn't say that eithe-

SuperBanana: ErA iS aGaInSt CoMpEtItIoN!!11

Console-ERA coming into Steam threads screaming "WE NEED COMPETITION" does not speak for PC-Era.

Nice try though. Actually, no. 0/10.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You know the true irony? For me the biggest game during the Show was Obsidians and thats multiplateform (we will see about future, post Microsoft games)

Yeah, Sci-Fi RPG? Hell yeah, I'm down with that. Wishlisted it so hard. :D

You dont play on PC and yet you want to tell the PC community what to do about money hatting Exclusives?

I don't really play on XBox, but I'll be sure to pop into a thread about a XBox exclusive game and tell everyone my thoughts. That's totally okay to do, right?

(Yes, I'm being passive-aggressive. Sorry.)

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Having to install a different launcher to play a game is anti-consumer now? What's next? When stuff doesn't go on sale? lol
So advertising for a different store and then moving to a new one with the annocement of a new store which BTW doesn't have regional pricing which fucks over poor coutnries isn't a bad thing?

Amazing what people claim to tolerate that they wouldn't if it didnt involve Steam.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having to install a different launcher to play a game is anti-consumer now? What's next? When stuff doesn't go on sale? lol

I imagine he's talking about the various other issues he and others have mentioned, like refund policy, regional pricing, etc.

There's more to a platform than it just being a launcher you download.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really play on PC but the mention of PC exclusives is ridiculous to me. You literally just have to buy the game on another store.

There have been a lot of concerned users as of late telling us about competition, developer fees, and what are okay business moves.

Frankly, the majority of people on this forum have no experience with an open-platform, and believe the bullshit that takes place on consoles is normal. It's not, and we won't be accepting it.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pffft.

You're giving up gaming over this?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man, anybody whining here hasn't tried to sell a video game.

Any studio that joined in this sweep of Epic Store games got a few things: that 12% bonus on revenue, plus a giant ad on The Game Awards for their games, plus first dibs on the barren Epic Store front page, PLUS a potential discount on their UE4 license.

And in exchange, they tell their PC players, "install one more game launcher." Not perfect, but that's reallllly low friction for a game dev to face in terms of getting more bang for their buck. (They're not selling your play data to a third-party tracking service, or pinning you to Win10's UWP, or other actually bad use cases.)

If you want to pick a bone with fragmentation because Linux and Steam work hand-in-hand, great, talk about Linux. Everything else being said here sounds pretty off-base.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You're giving up gaming over this?

I'm giving up buying games from companies who would rather prioritise a console-like experience on PC - curated store, exclusives that diminish where I can buy from - over the long-standing openness of PC marketplace. I have plenty of games in my library that I can play, and rather than buying new ones I can spend my money on either games that are released through all stores, or something other than games.

Just something else to add: I always enjoyed buying from Humble, because I could support a charity whilst buying a game. I don't even necessarily want a game on Steam, I just want to be able to purchase it from more than one place, so that I could do some good whilst buying something fun for myself.

Any studio that joined in this sweep of Epic Store games got a few things: that 12% bonus on revenue, plus a giant ad on The Game Awards for their games, plus first dibs on the barren Epic Store front page, PLUS a potential discount on their UE4 license.

And if it's short-term timed exclusives, fine. I'm fine with that, as I've stated previously. But I never liked the opaque way Sony and MS dealt with exclusives - "Console exclusive" and "exclusive" - and Epic (and devs/pubs) are just obfuscating this information as much as Sony/MS. Even SuperGiant is being sneaky by not actually naming what platforms Hades will appear on once out of Early Access. This is specifically giving the consumer less information, which I just don't agree with.

(adding a smiley here, because I'm trying to not sound too aggressive/angry. :) )

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

And in exchange, they tell their PC players, "install one more game launcher." Not perfect, but that's reallllly low friction for a game dev to face in terms of getting more bang for their buck. (They're not selling your play data to a third-party tracking service, or pinning you to Win10's UWP, or other actually bad use cases.)

If you want to pick a bone with fragmentation because Linux and Steam work hand-in-hand, great, talk about Linux. Everything else being said here sounds pretty off-base.

Yep. I've never understood the weird store loyalty people have. I have games on Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, Epic Games, Battle.net... it doesn't affect me. I just play whatever game I want to play and developers put their games wherever they believe they'll be most successful. Especially if you're independent, and the future of your company depends on one game, why wouldn't you take this deal?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So Abusing Steams marketing and store page to sell a game and then take it off two days before the announcement of a new store that they have a new contract with is just doing business?

And you dare just say its just a new launcher while ignore things like Refunds which have not arrived on the Epic store and regional pricing which really fucks up with people from poorer countries?

Amazing how the new mantra for developers is just doing whatever it takes to make money, to hell with consumer-side features, and just yell ENTITLED GAMERS at all criticism.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

So removing games from other store where they have been for months is ok? Not having regional pricing is ok? Advertising for months features than removing them (Play Anywhere) is ok? Launching Early Access games without public reviews and forums is ok? We can go on you know...

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So advertising for a different store and then moving to a new one with the annocement of a new store which BTW doesn't have regional pricing which fucks over poor coutnries isn't a bad thing?

Amazing what people claim to tolerate that they wouldn't if it didnt involve Steam.

I am 100% for allowing producers of product to sell their wares where they want and at whatever price they want. Unlike consoles, there is no lock in. If the market doesn't respond favorably to what the epic store is doing then epic will need to make adjustments quickly otherwise their store will be crushed by established competition. See: tidal

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, no shit?

We're not developers. We're customers. We put our own interests first, and that's not wrong of us to do.

Game development is hard, selling games is hard, we get that. But it's not a one way relationship this, were we as customers should just gladly bend over, for whatever thing devs and publishers who come up with today. We part with our hard earned money for games to support devs, but in return we might want to ask that the products is packaged in a way we're comfortable with.

If all Epic Store games are being sold DRM free, like GOG, then it's an issue. But I somehow doubt that will be the case with the Epic Store.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% for allowing producers of product to sell their wares where they want and whatever at price they want. Unlike consoles, there is no lock in. If the market doesn't like what the epic store is doing then epic will need to make adjustments favorable to the market quickly otherwise their store will be crushed by established competition.

So dishonest marketing is fine cause CAPITALISM.

and ANTI CONSUMER IS FINE CAUSE WE NEED NEW COMPETITION.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
This is gaf/era. The People that tell you that you just Need to buy console xy to Play game xy are the same that now tell you, installing another launcher on a System they already own is anti customer.

Boykott EVeRYtHanG

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This is gaf/era. The People that tell you that you just Need to buy console xy to Play game xy are the same that now tell you, installing another launcher on a System they already own is anti customer.

Boykott EVeRYtHanG

How nice of you to driveby and ignore the answer to why its anti-consumer, like the current lack of refunds and regional pricing while deliberately migrating away from a store that has both.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

But I don't want to install one more game launcher. This is getting out of fuckin control.
We have like: Steam, GoG, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, Bethesda.Net, Rockstar Social Club and now Epic Store.
8 in total !!
And mind you, 8 which ranges from great to totally shitty. Most of them aren't up to par feature wise.

Yeah, I haven't tried to sell a video game. But who do you think buy video games ?
Customers.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This is the kind of console-like competition that is complete bullshit, and should be avoided.

Except you have to buy a whole other console to play the game you want when it comes to console exclusive competition.

You just have to click another icon in this case.

Yeah. The exact same thing.

But I don't want to install one more game launcher. This is getting out of fuckin control.
We have like: Steam, GoG, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, Bethesda.Net, Rockstar Social Club and now Epic Store.
8 in total !!
And mind you, 8 which ranges from great to totally shitty. Most of them aren't up to par feature wise.
...and you essentially just click on the game icon and it starts playing. Win32, modding, game overlays etc.

But I don't want to install one more game launcher. Yeah, I haven't tried to sell a video game. But who do you think buy video games ?
Customers.

I strongly suspect most consumers won't care about installing one more launcher (they probably already own it from either Fortnite or the Shadow Complex remastered giveaway) and will happily do so to play the games they want.

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Good to see devs hopping on board! Will definitely be my go to if they can build on this pretty insane grand opening of sorts. Been playing Ashen on Xbox and it's incredible so far. Hopefully they get the PC Gamepass sorted that seems to be the only mucky situation here.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm happy to install other launchers and buy games from other platforms, but just like all the other stores on PC, unless they actually compete with what Steam offers, I'll likely continue buying everything else on Steam.

I'll also likely hold off on smaller games which look like timed exclusive deals. Because despite having another launcher and library doesn't really bother me, you can't buy stickiness by buying third party exclusives. Removing choice isn't competition as far as I'm concerned, even with first party exclusives - it didn't make me look at other stores in a better light - and this won't either.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Look, I totally get the opportunity presented here. If I had to choose between launching on Steam and launching on Epic's debut day, with free exposure and better rates and everything else you mentioned, I'd have to strongly consider it.

What I have an issue with is the idea that "everyone wins" in this scenario because it is very VERY clear that the ones that get the raw end of the deal are your fans and customers. It is "one more game launcher" but one without any of the features that Steam has built over years of work. Devs are asking consumers to give up achievements, leaderboards, workshop support, trading cards, social features, community features, friends list integration, big picture mode, regional pricing, and a slew of other features in exchange for the developer making more money. That is literally all it comes down to.

So while I don't necessarily blame the devs for wanting to be there day one, I think it is a very bad thing to continue this exclusivity path, when the Epic client is so bare bones. I think it will backfire and devs will have to hope that the extra 12% and PR was worth it.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Except you have to buy a whole other console to play the game you want when it comes to console exclusive competition.

You just have to click another icon in this case.

Yeah. The exact same thing.

I'm not going to bend over to bullshit because it's not as bad. Sounds a lot like the Nintendo Switch's online service justifications.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm giving up buying games from companies who would rather prioritise a console-like experience on PC - curated store, exclusives that diminish where I can buy from - over the long-standing openness of PC marketplace. I have plenty of games in my library that I can play, and rather than buying new ones I can spend my money on either games that are released through all stores, or something other than games.

Just something else to add: I always enjoyed buying from Humble, because I could support a charity whilst buying a game. I don't even necessarily want a game on Steam, I just want to be able to purchase it from more than one place, so that I could do some good whilst buying something fun for myself.

And if it's short-term timed exclusives, fine. I'm fine with that, as I've stated previously. But I never liked the opaque way Sony and MS dealt with exclusives - "Console exclusive" and "exclusive" - and Epic (and devs/pubs) are just obfuscating this information as much as Sony/MS. Even SuperGiant is being sneaky by not actually naming what platforms Hades will appear on once out of Early Access. This is specifically giving the consumer less information, which I just don't agree with.

(adding a smiley here, because I'm trying to not sound too aggressive/angry. :) )

So... you weren't buying games from Steam before? Just GOG? Just Humble? Just games that were available on all digital storefronts?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is so much backlash in this thread that I don't understand. Developers are trying to sell their game and they make the choice to move their title from a platform where 30% of their revenue goes to the distributor to a platform where 12% of their revenue goes to the distributor. It's a much more fair cut for the everyone involved to sell their game on Epic's service. Steam only gets away with that 30% because of their size and marketshare, and because 30% was the arbitrary percentage chosen for these kinds of services a long time ago. I'm all for more of my money going to the developer. It's about damn time someone like Epic came in to shake up the status quo.

Unless Epic's Launcher forces a user to endure a serious shortcoming in stability or security, I have no idea why folks are so up in arms about it. Let more devs get their fair share with a decent digital distribution platform. It's long overdue.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
How nice of you to driveby and ignore the answer to why its anti-consumer, like the current lack of refunds and regional pricing while deliberately migrating away from a store that has both.
It was more of a General Statement, because you really can find comments like this here. Didnt read much about the Epic Launcher yet, hopefully it will get better over the time.