• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Finn should become a Jedi because of whatever the McGuffin is. JJ owes us after the bait-and-switch bullshit the Episode VII ad campaign pulled on us.

Dec 22, 2017
A satisfying ending for me would be seeing all the new characters pick up the torch and succeed on their own. I don't want a force ghost "on your left" scene.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
In the Vanity Fair article I know JJ mentioned (spoiler for anyone wanting to go in completely blind)......

Ending the full conflict of the Jedi and Sith. Honestly not sure how an event that has been going on for 25,000 years ends in a 2.5 hour movie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That's what this thread is about: to speculate (realistically and satisfyingly) on what could be laid out in those first 2 hours to explain this wild grand finale, what the stakes are etc., and then what we can expect the victors to have achieved afterwards, in a saga-wrapping up way.
Okay, the full movie:

Act 1
It's a couple of years after The Last Jedi, Leia has died off-screen but we will still get 'new' footage of her in flashbacks. The First Order under Kylo is terrorizing the Galaxy and our heroes realize they need a magical MacGuffin to defeat him, Kylo somehow also learns of this MacGuffin. They realize the MacGuffin went down with the Second Death Star, but the records of where it went down was wiped, so they find the last surviving (main cast) member who was there... Lando. They find Lando and he flies them to Endor on the condition that he gets the Falcon back at the end of it all. Kylo also gets to Endor around that same time and they square off against each other in the ruins of the Second Death Star.

Act 2
They find the MacGuffin and lo and behold, Palpatine reveals himself in the ruins of the Second Death Star. He's been alive all along and secretly been leading The First Order under the guise of Snoke, who he either mind controlled or Snoke was a failed Palpatine clone, at least some bullshit will be thrown in about Snoke to explain his backstory. Sheev is not happy with Kylo taking over the First Order and in an instant turns the FO against Kylo with a new Order 66. He also reveals that Rey's parents were literally 'nobody', as in Rey was created out of pure Force, just like Anakin making her sort-of related to Kylo. Kylo and our Resistance heroes barely escape with their lives and agree to an uneasy alliance.

Act 3
Heroes fight against Palpatine's troops. Resistance heroes fight the Knights of Ren and the FO/Sith Empire forces, Kylo and Rey fight Palpatine. Palpatine dies, Kylo dies and the universe is saved. Kylo gets an emotional goodbye, gets called Ben Solo-Skywalker in a tearful speech by Rey and they take off. Rey takes on the name Skywalker and starts a new Jedi Order with the ghosts of Anakin, Luke, Yoda and Ben looking on and nodding in approval. Finn and Poe become the leaders of the New New Republic.

End credits scene: Hux is shown sitting in a bar lamenting about the fact that everybody forgot about him.

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend really wants Palpatine to send Rey back in time, and it turns out that she's Shmi Skywalker.

I just want to see Palpatine ham it up.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the Vanity Fair article I know JJ mentioned (spoiler for anyone wanting to go in completely blind)......

Ending the full conflict of the Jedi and Sith. Honestly not sure how an event that has been going on for 25,000 years ends in a 2.5 hour movie.

i mean it was supposely ended on ROTJ

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- A satisfying ending for me would be everyone getting blowed up like Rogue One.
- No sequel possibilities. Hard ending. No more Skywalkers, no more Emperor, no more Empire/First Order, no more jedi/force/sith.
- Tie up all the loose ends and we good.

We aren't getting that.
edit: or are we

đź’—

Dec 22, 2017
Okay, the full movie:

Act 1
It's a couple of years after The Last Jedi, Leia has died off-screen but we will still get 'new' footage of her in flashbacks. The First Order under Kylo is terrorizing the Galaxy and our heroes realize they need a magical MacGuffin to defeat him, Kylo somehow also learns of this MacGuffin. They realize the MacGuffin went down with the Second Death Star, but the records of where it went down was wiped, so they find the last surviving (main cast) member who was there... Lando. They find Lando and he flies them to Endor on the condition that he gets the Falcon back at the end of it all. Kylo also gets to Endor around that same time and they square off against each other in the ruins of the Second Death Star.

Act 2
They find the MacGuffin and lo and behold, Palpatine reveals himself in the ruins of the Second Death Star. He's been alive all along and secretly been leading The First Order under the guise of Snoke, who he either mind controlled or Snoke was a failed Palpatine clone, at least some bullshit will be thrown in about Snoke to explain his backstory. Sheev is not happy with Kylo taking over the First Order and in an instant turns the FO against Kylo with a new Order 66. He also reveals that Rey's parents were literally 'nobody', as in Rey was created out of pure Force, just like Anakin making her sort-of related to Kylo. Kylo and our Resistance heroes barely escape with their lives and agree to an uneasy alliance.

Act 3
Heroes fight against Palpatine's troops. Resistance heroes fight the Knights of Ren and the FO/Sith Empire forces, Kylo and Rey fight Palpatine. Palpatine dies, Kylo dies and the universe is saved. Kylo gets an emotional goodbye, gets called Ben Solo-Skywalker in a tearful speech by Rey and they take off. Rey takes on the name Skywalker and starts a new Jedi Order with the ghosts of Anakin, Luke, Yoda and Ben looking on and nodding in approval. Finn and Poe become the leaders of the New New Republic.

End credits scene: Hux is shown sitting in a bar lamenting about the fact that everybody forgot about him.

That's...not bad.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a fleet battle JJ. I don't care that you made the stupid decision to have most of the New Republic Navy destroyed, planets like Mon Cala have ships that can fight the First Order.

Actually why wouldn't the Mon Calamari respond to Leia's distress signal sent at the end of The Last Jedi and send a fleet to fight The First Order? They clearly kept making warships like the Raddus and I can't imagine that with Starkiller Base being destroyed and the threat of the remote destruction of their planet gone the Mon Calamari wouldn't come to the aid of the Resistance with a fleet that could fight the First Order. They defied the Empire by providing capital ships to the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War, I don't think they would be afraid of the First Order.

OP
OP
Fluffernutter Pancake
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend really wants Palpatine to send Rey back in time, and it turns out that she's Shmi Skywalker.

WOW, I hadn't thought of this possibility and that would actually be AMAZING if they pulled it off well.

Okay, the full movie:

Act 1

Act 2

Act 3

Great job at taking a crack at all three acts of the film! I like a lot in here. Some questions need resolving:

If they know the MacGuffin went down w/ Death Star II, how does no one (except Lando) know that that happened at Endor?
Why does Palpatine wait until then to Order 66 Kylo's troops? Why did he let him take charge in the first place?
Who created Rey (out of the Force) if Palpatine was dead? Can he create life even from beyond the grave? (actually a really cool concept, if true)
What is Hux drinking?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I just know that anything the fans come up with will be vastly more dumb than anything a film director/writer can make.

Oct 27, 2017
  • Per Star Wars tradition Rey needs to be maimed in some way. Both Anakin and Luke lost a hand, while Rey's injuries seem to consist of just being knocked out a few times.
  • Kylo should die trying to redeem himself, but it shouldn't be a "heroic" death like Vader's. He shouldn't be redeemed in the end. It's cliche
  • Finn needs to get some actual resolution, because with Phasma dead in the laughable TLJ fight, I don't even know what motivates him anymore
  • Poe needs to be given something *shrugs*
  • Despite the title, I want the Skywalkers to just be done with. No more Kenobis or Skywalkers or Solos after this bunch. I mean, obviously some will continue, but they should just be important footnotes in history, not the main focus

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If they know the MacGuffin went down w/ Death Star II, how does no one (except Lando) know that that happened at Endor?
Why does Palpatine wait until then to Order 66 Kylo's troops? Why did he let him take charge in the first place?
Who created Rey (out of the Force) if Palpatine was dead? Can he create life even from beyond the grave? (actually a really cool concept, if true)
What is Hux drinking?
- Same reason everybody thinks the Jedi are a myth in The Force Awakens: they forgot and Wikipedia doesn't exist, they could've asked Nien Nunb, but he's not memorable enough to lead our mains
- Because it works for the plot
- Palpy was alive all along, duh
- Fuzzy Tauntaun

Note: I might not be completely serious.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I just hope it's as fun as the last two movies which were pretty dope.
Also wish they made Rey gay, but I wish every character in everything ever was gay so what do I know.

OP
OP
Fluffernutter Pancake
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the best idea that I've heard for Palpatine in Episode IX:

Rey will seek the remnants of the Death Star for a Macguffin device, and once inside she will stumble across a holycron projection showing a troubling scene: Palpatine in a chamber of vats, flanked by Imperial technicians. His will was to rule the galaxy, but he realizes the dead rule nothing, and that his end at the hands of Skywalker was foretold, just as Vader told Luke ("Your destiny is to defeat the Emperor; he has foreseen this." - Empire Strikes Back). So prior to his demise, Palpatine sets in motion a self-cloning plan using the technology that raised him his army in the Prequel films. Rey is the sole survivor of this experiment, a failure abandoned on Jakku.
It will happen because it is the only solution that ties-up all the loose plot threads: It explains why Rey saw only copies of herself in her cave of trials; it explains why Luke was frightened by the power he saw within her; it explains why Rey is so powerful in the Force; it bonds Rey to Kylo without endorsing an abusive love between them; it brings Palpatine back with minimal intrusion to the story, maintaining the ST's restriction upon OT characters; it revives the old tale of Darth Plagueis from the Prequels, reminding us that the power over life and death was the Sith's greatest triumph; and finally, it's subversive in a cool way.

Throw in the discarded "Luke's dismembered hand" idea when it was supposed to appear in Episode VII, and you could have the idea that Rey is a Skywalker clone, made by Palpatine's secret clone program, to serve as a vessel for him after his death. That would make her a Skywalker without being anyone's child, and tie it all together. Outlandish, but possible.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Rey is going to die most likely. She made it crystal clear she will not be in any sequel trilogy at all. And the precise end of her arc "made her cry".

No chance in hell they're gonna kill off their lucrative female lead. She will survive even if Ridley doesn't to return, and I'm sure she'll be back for Ep 10-12 regardless.

I really hope they break down the binary good/evil sith/jedi though and create a new order where people are just force users with more ambiguous motivations.

If they retcon Rey's parents I'm gonna be fucking PISSED.

Also all the rumours about Palpatine possessing Matt Smith sound fucking terrible.

Nov 1, 2017
Can't wait for people to get too invested in the ideas they see in this thread and then get Extremely Mad Online when The Rise of Skywalker does something different

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Rey is killed within the first five minutes, Finn in the first 10, Poe in the first 15, and the rest of the rebels and the first order in the first 20. The only survivor is Rose starting a new life as a leopard jockey on Canto bight

Nov 13, 2017
Great topic, OP! I wish more people took it seriously instead of clogging this thread with shit posts.

I hope this movie is three hours long.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't see how the film can really have a satisfying ending to the Star Wars saga for me because, well, the series already ended. We had the 'Star Wars: Endgame' with Return of the Jedi and now we're being told that, no, this is the 'Star Wars: Endgame'. It's just, I find very little reason to care.

Palpatine's return is happening purely because they need something to justify this being the 'end of the Skywalker saga'. Seeing as that 'something' was always just an evil bad guy influencing the actual main players of the plot it's just not going to be interesting for me. That's not to mention how his appearance makes the OT even more insignificant than it already is.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Specially when
the two previous movies have been busy using their +/- 5 hours runtime to say "Forget the Jedi and Sith, Rebels and Empire, burn it all down so we don't have to learn from it!
It's about the most fit/ powerful/ deserving having power! "

They literally spent time saying Jedi, Sith... That doesn't matter.
But now it does?

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie ends with Emperor Palpatine coming back to life and winning. Then the entire Star Wars Saga is renamed as: The Rise, Fall, and Ressurection of Emperor Palpatine.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Specially when
the two previous movies have been busy using their +/- 5 hours runtime to say "Forget the Jedi and Sith, Rebels and Empire, burn it all down so we don't have to learn from it!
It's about the most fit/ powerful/ deserving having power! "

They literally spent time saying Jedi, Sith... That doesn't matter.
But now it does?

two years later and people still think that the last jedi message its "kill the past"

god dammit

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.
But if you think that the actual message is Rose's " Save what we love", now that is hilarious.

Edit: and by that I mean, they try to make it one of the messages, but it is dumb as hell and what actually keeps happening throughout the movie goes 180 opposite direction consistently...
Which makes it both dumb and hilarious.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Okay, the full movie:

Act 1

Act 2

Act 3

You forgot about the part where the cute mascot characters have a dance party after gorging themselves on 1st Order troops.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
the movie opens with R2D2 narrating the story of Life Day and it turns out the entire movie is a shot by shot recreation of the Star Wars Holiday special. They bring back Bea Arthur, Harvey Korman, Jefferson Starship, etc and none of them still have any idea whats going on.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who thinks the message of TLJ was "kill the past" didn't really pay close attention. That is not the intended take away, at all.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
7-9 needed to set a new status quo and a massive cliff hanger for 10-12. Rey inventing a new force religion and training a few students called "Skywalkers" in the end of ep9 isn't that satisfying, it's expected. Bringing back palp is a mistake and makes 7-9 feel like an epilogue to the real story that was 1-6. I hope thats just a tease. The current spoiler board is some c-tier fan fiction level garbage.

There needs to be a hidden villain though. I like the Sheev idea. Someone is 'fueling both sides'. Kylo needs to be redeemed but not die. He has to face his crimes. Him just staying bad and dying isn't dramatic. Rey's character is kinda in a bad place since there is very little drama surrounding her. She has had very little failure especially after awakening. She's always in the right and always wins or at least no permanent damage ever happens to her. There absolutely will be a new twist on her parentage, though again hopefully NOT the spoiler board. But after she trains the next gen her story is done. They'll possibly try to retcon her as the REAL chosen one which would be a pointless drama theft from 1-6 and would irritate fans. Finn/Poe/Rose/Chewy/droids continue as side characters doing resistance and comic relief stuff.

TLDR: Rey dies sadly but not before training new force religion "Skywalkers". Ben is redeemed, deals with crimes, becomes leader of Skywalkers. New villain playing both sides. Big cliff hanger set up for 10-12. Please refrain from adding terrible fan fiction to a spoiler board.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Rey dies and establishes the Order of Skywalker. A fuse between light and dark force users.

Oct 25, 2017
My splatter at the wall wishlist:

In general, I'd like them to tie this movie into the whole trilogy, including direct references to prequel content. I want this thing to have its claws deeply sunk into all 8 previous mainline movies. Including references to Plagueis, and Anakin's conception. I want there to be a good long time jump between TLJ and this. I want the movie to get rolling relatively quickly, no need for a long establishing first act. We already know the score by now. And no time travel.

I want Sidious to have been behind it all the whole time. Somehow. Maybe he's been the one fanning the flames of the First Order spinoff, allowing the remnants of the original empire to die intentionally to give the galaxy a false sense of security (and to "cut the fat"). Make it so that when I go back and rewatch TFA and TLJ my perspective feels totally different. Reveal that the cloning technology for the Clone Wars wasn't exclusively for his political maneuvering, it was also part of his research into his own method of "eternal life." I want the final shot of his defeat to linger on his evaporating essence, like the T1000 in T2.

Snoke was somehow acting on his behalf, maybe unwittingly. His body could have even been just a malformed avatar/clone, being controlled/inhabited (which would make the Emperor's theme appearing in TLJ pretty damn sweet retroactively). I'll take a flashback involving this guy, sure.

The Knights of Ren, while serving Kylo at first, are later revealed to double as the Emperor's enforcers. Kylo thought he was in charge of them, but it turns out they were secretly his babysitters. They've been away tending to Sidious' schemes under the pretense of some other shit for Snoke. (And as soon as the babysitters left Kylo started fucking things up)

Kylo knows none of this. Emperor was operating in deep cover mode. Even his brain is full of fuck at these revelations. He's mad because he thought the sith were dead and that he was something new, but instead he was being used.
He shouldn't be traditionally redeemed. At most he should make an attempt to do the right thing, die trying, and then it's revealed that his actions played right into Palapatine's plan. Maybe he orders the Knights of Ren to fuck Palaptine up and the knights turn on him and kill him (as mentioned above), revealing he walked himself to his own execution when ol' Sheev was done with him.
Basically make him a casualty of Sheev's machinations with a sad end. A touch of redemption, but no happy ending for Kylo. It'll really fire Rey up.

Leia should die of a broken heart following Kylo's death. Just kidding. Whatever they can pull off with their existing footage is fine. It would be nice if she saw Luke's force ghost at some point I guess. Maybe in the finale.

I want Rey to get fucked up and lose part of a limb or something. It is tradition, but will still be relatively shocking to watch. She should not revive the Jedi directly. She should learn from Luke's lessons and found some sort of new order, focused on the balance/harmony Luke realized on his island. Playing up the idea that the tug of war between the Jedi and the Sith actually kept creating each other ("darkness rises and the light to meet it"), and that real balance is learning to accept and deal with personal "darkness" in healthy ways rather than trying to deny it entirely. Basically an order that wouldn't have pushed Anakin toward Sidious like the Jedi did. She survives the movie.

Give Finn more to do that actually has a tangible positive effect on the outcome of the movie. Make him more important than Poe to the plot. Give him a direct hand in the final victory. Maybe he actually sacrifices himself this time, but with a smile for his friends rather than angrily foaming at the mouth. It'll be sad and turn that weird scene in TLJ into foreshadowing. But I wouldn't be upset if he lives happily ever after, either.

Poe should just remain present as action support. I want him to stay close in a Rey/Finn/Poe trio this time around, but I don't feel like anything drastic plot-wise is necessary from him. Just keep the group together and let him be Action Pilot Man.

I want Phasma to come back one final time to cement the joke as the Kenny of the sequel trilogy. I'm only half joking. I would actually be down.

Lando should...be Lando. That's it. Lando's great. Besides however he is already involved in the plot, I hope he's present for the closing scenes of the movie.

It's probably a sure thing that Luke's force ghost will appear in the movie. It'd be nice if he appeared alongside Anakin together. Maybe they could use that sweet Disney/Marvel CGI to make him the same young age as Anakin. That'd be neat. It'd be nice if we saw his force ghost do something we didn't know was possible from one. (But that's not me requesting a force ghost lightsaber duel or anything)

I want Anakin's force ghost to appear in the movie in a way similar to it appeared in the Force Awakens art book, with the wild Vader visuals. (Which doesn't mean he's evil, we all know he was redeemed. But shades of Vader could appear in his visage were he to be recalling Vader in dialogue.)

Boba Fett shows up with Vulture-like jet wings and skeleton hands holding a large flaming sword and...okay no.

Has even one person so far mentioned Rose in seriousness? The shit circling her character/actress in TLJ on the internet was abominable, but that doesn't change that she was kind of a nothing character for me in that movie. So I'm not too surprised. But there's still a good way to utilize her here. Keep her around. Have her act as one of the trio's main contacts back at resistance HQ. "Guy in the Chair" status. That way she can still remain involved in an important position but more to the side.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Rey, Finn and Poe fight Palpatine on Jakku, he ends up with the advantage, then Kylo Ren's army lands in the background to kill all of Rey's past.

Palpatine "Child, you still think you have enough power to stop me, I'll love to watch you try..."

An injured Rey struggle to pick up a fallen light saber

Rey hears a voice ''There is no try" it's Luke...

Blue Lightning hits the battlefield, and every fucking jedi/hero shows up throughout the trilogies, first Mace Windu appears, then Han Solo swoops in with the Millenium Falcon with a quip "Of all the days to be brought back to life"

Luke's plan has worked and he's brought them all back. He says "The force is strong with us all" Ewan Mcgregor and Hayden Chrisstesen have their hands on his shoulders and they help the trio finish off the ultimate sith army.

Palpatine steals the droid that contain the activation code for the death sun

'No one can stop me'
'I am no one'

Rey pushes an old star destroyer and crushes everyone, and the heroes go and pay trubute to the fallen.