• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
It's July 11 in Japan which means it's 4 years since Mr. Iwata left this world :( I still can't believe it's that long. Such a shame that he can't see the success Nintendo is with a Switch - last console that he developed.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
So unreal, I don't really feel emotion when celebrities pass away (too much detachment), but this one hurt. It really felt like we lost one of us, someone who really understood.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I haven't really been a Nintendo guy in a long time, but it was so obvious that Iwata loved video games and did everything he could to bring joy to this world through those games. RIP to a legend who is still missed.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I went to the memorial the held in the Nintendo Store. Still sad when I think about it. His work helped me out a lot growing up.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
He passed away the very same day my daughter was born. I didnt know it at the time since it wasnt revealed on the day.. but it was such a weird feeling when I got the news. Still is.

He's one of the best there was.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Far, far too young. And too cruel the awful circumstances of having to go through such an illness whilst holding such a public-facing position.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
It was the last night of Comic Con. When I got that notification I just wanted to break down in the restroom I was in and cry.

He was a ball of light and the world is worse off without him in it.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Title almost gave me a heart attack, because the name was familiar and I thought it just happened for a second

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I watch old E3 stuff sometimes and everytime I see him I still get sad :( He, Reggie and Mya will forever be the face of Nintendo for me

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No word of a lie I had a dream last night and Iwata was in it.

... The subconscious works in strange ways o_o

He is still very much missed. An incredible figure of the industry.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heartbreaking that we lost him so young in relative terms and that he never got to see the smiles that Switch has brought to so many faces.

RIP Mr Iwata. You won't be forgotten.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
It still feels kinda odd not having the new president be a public figure like Iwata was, I genuiniely cant even remember the guy's name. Does he need to be a public figure? no not really, but Iwata really brought a lot of fun to the presentations.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I cried a little that day.
I never cry for people I don't actually know, but I did for iwata :(

Also I 'm still bitter at how Gaf and Evilore reacted to this.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
And the Switch Lite just got revealed. Definitely not a coincidence.
I can't believe it has been 4 years already. Thanks Iwata for all the memories.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
A great man who was taken far too soon. I disagreed with some of his business decisions, but truthfully I wish he was still around for me to disagree with. He brought a passion and understanding for the medium that few CEOs seem to have. The loss still feels as raw as it did in 2015.
quote-on-my-business-card-i-am-a-corporate-president-in-my-mind-i-am-a-game-developer-but-satoru-iwata-76-31-12.jpg

Rest In Peace, Mr. Iwata.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rest in Peace. His legacy will live on forever. It pains to no end me that he didn't live to see how damn successful the Switch is, but may his spirit live on.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His last days were spent reading tweets from ungrateful fans about how much they hated the Metroid spinoff and how he should retire.

We had no idea back then why E3 involved puppets rather than live appearances but I imagine it was to mask his appearance.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He died about a month after the original Splatoon launched. Do you think he knew Nintendo was going to have a turnaround from their then current troubles? That the company he loved so much would be okay?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
He died about a month after the original Splatoon launched. Do you think he knew Nintendo was going to have a turnaround from their then current troubles? That the company he loved so much would be okay?

I remember that. Splatoon levels were littered with Miiverse posts mourning his death. It was very bittersweet.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
are these gonna be yearly or something? there's many other industry legends that die and don't get this much attention.

let the guy rest in peace.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a legend and one of the most influential people for video games
the only "celebrity" whose death made me cry

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
4 years already... I still remember it was yesterday. It was on sunday and I remember I was precisely playing an online match of Splatoon and while waiting for the next match to begin, I casually opened Twitter when I saw Wario64's tweet about it... and I totally lost it. The splatoon match begun and I pretty much turned the power off of the Wii U because I was in shock. The only celebrity decease that truly hurted me. RIP to this awesome human being. Your legacy will live forever.

It's truly amazing how much Nintendo has changed in only 4 years. Changes for the better and it was all thanks to Iwata. Switch was his last thing before departing I even read he was still working from his hospital bed until his very last days... and it was totally worth it because now Nintendo is enjoying a success not seen since the Wii days.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Many including me, wanted some kind of homage for Iwata (replacing the logo, which happend before for other events), but were banned for asking and being disappointed.

Is this for real? Why?

His last days were spent reading tweets from ungrateful fans about how much they hated the Metroid spinoff and how he should retire.

We had no idea back then why E3 involved puppets rather than live appearances but I imagine it was to mask his appearance.

This was ingenious on their side, but it made it even more chilling and sad. I was completely heart broken, the man seemed incredible and he turned around the Nintendo brand in an incredible way.