• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Itoi book about Iwata.
I wouldn't have thought that Iwata and Itoi were in talks Namco and Monolithsoft to make a GameCube Earthbound.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
His death made the evening news here in Canada on CBC.

I don't see the death of the head of any other gaming studio unless they gave a specific in conntry connection having the same impact.

Iwata is a gamer first, company man second, capitalist last. Mad respect. World is worse off without you.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Iwata: Gone but not forgotten.

Shame he is not still here to see the success of the Switch - CEO's could learn a lot from him and the way he ran Nintendo.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, it's been four years already? Still feels like yesterday to me. I remember being in the middle of DMing an ArmA 3 op with my bruvs when I alt-tabbed back to Chrome for a second to check The Old Site. To say that put a damper on things would be an understatement.

F

Is this for real? Why?

He Who Shall Not Be Named wanted to keep up his Kayfabe of being Progressive/Liberal by keeping the American Gay Marriage Legalization custom logo up for a full month no matter what. Of course though, nowadays we all know that was just an Act on his part.

SMH to this day that he wouldn't do *anything* to pay tribute to such an important industry figure on a forum dedicated to the industry.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
He Who Shall Not Be Named wanted to keep up his Kayfabe of being Progressive/Liberal by keeping the American Gay Marriage Legalization custom logo up for a full month no matter what. Of course though, nowadays we all know that was just an Act on his part.

SMH to this day that he wouldn't do *anything* to pay tribute to such an important industry figure on a forum dedicated to the industry.

He was also a bit of a fanboy. Same person who compared the Switch unfavorably to a raspberry Pi

Oct 27, 2017
I was on a trip with family and read the news as I came back. I was devastated. I feel like part of Nintendo went with him just because he was that special. I will always miss him. Fuck cancer

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If most companies were ran the way Iwata ran Nintendo, I'd be far more willing to take capitalist propaganda on its word. Dude was a damn good leader and I do think a genuine positive force for good in the industry, not to mention skilled at the craft as well based on his time at HAL.

pfb9qPM.png

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ah geez, I still remember that I was playing minigolf with some friends when one of them checked his phone and alerted us all to the news.

I can't believe its' been four years since then. It makes me so damn sad knowing that Iwata never got to see how much of a hit the Switch ended up being.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Rip mr iwata he left too soon, wish he would had seen the success of Switch he helped to create at least

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Still remember when I was in the middle of class and rushed out to the bathroom to comprehend the news I read. RIP. What a legend.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously we all love his corporate persona, but it sounds like Iwata was also a legitimately good human being, one who would sooner cut his own pay than lay off grunts in warehouse.

And it's evident from his interviews in Iwata Asks that his appreciation of game design was genuine, which is not surprising since Iwata himself worked as a programmer on some all-time classics, including my favorite NES game, Balloon Fight.

It's admirable to see someone work on the craft and rise through the ranks like he did. I remember an interview where he said he pursued making games against the wishes of his parents because he enjoyed putting smiles on people's faces with games he would program on his graphing calculator.

The guy just wanted to make people happy, and I think that's a sign of a kindhearted soul.

May he rest in peace. I wish he could've lived to see the success of his last project, the Switch, but I like to think he's out there somewhere, laughing. :-)

Jan 11, 2018
RIP to one of the GOATS. Thank you for all you gave us. I still miss you on the Nintendo Directs. I know you are still out there somewhere laughing :).

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
RIP. Shame that as someone who wasn't really a Nintendo fan, that I never know his contributions to games outside of his role as President until after his death.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
His last days were spent reading tweets from ungrateful fans about how much they hated the Metroid spinoff and how he should retire.

We had no idea back then why E3 involved puppets rather than live appearances but I imagine it was to mask his appearance.
I don't know if that was actually the case for the puppets. Didn't they just do it because people loved robot chicken from 2014?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's so sad Iwata died before he was able to see the launch and subsequent success of the Switch. The latter Wii U years were a depressing time and it's very unfortunate he passed before he saw Nintendo's fortunes change.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Nintendo hasn't really been the same since. A lot of the charm of whimsy seems to have gone missing in recent years.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.

Jul 24, 2018
This was a man who'd take a cut in his salary for the sake of not laying off any employees when he couldn't deliver on sales. We didn't deserve this kind of man, may he rest in peace.