• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
fnqMMx6.jpg

Eleven Arts (A Silent Voice, Maquia) has acquired the North American rights to Satoshi Kon's 'Millennium Actress' and will be releasing a digitally remastered version theatrically in a 2 day event beginning August 13 with the Japanese language version and then on August 19 with the brand new English dub! A blu-ray release has not been confirmed at this time, but considering they're funding a new dub and it's only going to be in theaters for 2 days, I think it's safe to say one is on the horizon!

When the legendary Ginei Studios shuts down, filmmaker Genya Tachibana and his assistant are tasked with interviewing its reclusive star, Chiyoko Fujiwara, who had retired from the spotlight 30 years prior. As she recounts her career, Genya and his crew are literally pulled into her memories where they witness her chance encounter with a mysterious man on the run from the police. Despite never knowing his name or his face, Chiyoko relentlessly pursues that man in a seamless blend of reality and memory that only Satoshi Kon could deliver.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Oh! Excellent! This is the only Satoshi Kon film I haven't seen so I guess I can hold off a bit longer to go see it in theatres. I saw Perfect Blue for the however manyeth time when that was in theatres and it was ace.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Oh! Excellent! This is the only Satoshi Kon film I haven't seen so I guess I can hold off a bit longer to go see it in theatres. I saw Perfect Blue for the however manyeth time when that was in theatres and it was ace.
You're in for a treat. The film is incredible. It's one of those movies that makes me cry every time I see it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this movie and definitely my favorite from Satoshi Kon.

I'm always surprised nobody has bought the rights to do a live action adaptation within an American historical/Hollywood context because the material seems perfect for it and if done well could be a major awards contender.

Oct 29, 2017
Love this movie and definitely my favorite from Satoshi Kon.

I'm always surprised nobody has bought the rights to do a live action adaptation within an American historical/Hollywood context because the material seems perfect for it and if done well could be a major awards contender.
I've always wanted to do this. Just to honor actresses and their hardships they endure.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Everytime I think of Satoshi Kon I get super sad :(

I really need to get his collection on Bluray. Each one of his movies are a masterpiece deserving of being owned

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I cried a lot by the end of the film. I think this and especially, especially, Grave of the fireflies are two movies that I can never watch again. They, especially the latter broke me for days.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite movies. Was there something particularly terrible about the original translation? Or was it just the dub that was iffy?

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Love Kon. Didn't see any problem with the original dub from what I remember. Performances were great and connected. The last line was perfect.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
This is just for the US isn't it?

I think that maybe it's for Canada too, but I'm not 100%. It was already re-released in Japan last year with a new 4K transfer.

Was there something particularly terrible about the original translation? Or was it just the dub that was iffy?

The UK dub (which never released in the US) changed a bunch of stuff:

YV81s7x.png

(top is the US version - Japanese language; bottom is the UK dub, with dubtitles)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
:O

I remember seeing this in the theaters ages ago with my best friend. Really enjoyed it. I'm definitely interested in checking this out!

J75

Sep 29, 2018
First Eva and now this. Interesting seeing this trend of old anime getting new dubs. I feel Akira should get this treatment, not a big fan of either of those dubs.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Eleven Arts picked it up, and was wondering if they were gonna do a theatrical run.

Thank God they're partnering with Fathom, as their previous releases of movies have been sub par to say the least. Most didn't even have a single screening in my state (NM).

Definitely going to go see this film.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made. Super excited to see this in theaters. Never got the privilege.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Weird and a little alarming that GKids isn't doing this. When Perfect Blue came out in theaters 2018 it renewed hope in a collected blu ray set of Kon's work. With a different distributor doing Millennium Actress, Sony holding Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika and god knows whom with the rights to Paranoia Agent that hope fades ever further.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Could this mean I can finally get it on bluray? The only one of Kons movies I only have on dvd, and maybe my favourite of his.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
God, the ending of this movie stabs me right in the heart when you realize Kon got his cancer diagnosis during production.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I may be on vacation when this come out

I may have to take a break on my vacation to see this movie in the theater

My wife's family can suck it

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
You lucky bastards! Such an incredible film.
I've never had the opportunity to see one of Kon's films in the theater.

I randomly wanted to watch Millenium Actress again a few weeks ago and couldn't find it on any streaming service. And it doesn't appear that there was a blu-ray release in my region.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
US dub cast announced:

Abby Trott as Chiyoko Fujiwara (Young)
Erin Yvette as Chiyoko Fujiwara (Adult)
Cindy Robinson as Chiyoko Fujiwara (Elder)
Christian Swindler as Genya Tachibana (Old)
Ben Diskin as Kyoji Ida
Laura Post as Eiko Shimao

They've got 3 different voice actresses for the 3 different ages of Chiyoko - just like in the original Japanese language track. The old UK English dub just had 1 voa doing all the lines for the character.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The main character's motives were dumb as hell. Shame since I love Satoshi Kon's other work. He transformed a turd of a book into a diamond with Perfect Blue. Please experience entertainment in the original language in which it was intended.