• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Did TG get a Blu release in NA? It would be news to me

No, but i got the Australian one and like the original Perfect Blue BD, it looks very dated. There's also a UK release, which i think is derived from the same master.

www.blu-ray.com

Tokyo Godfathers Blu-ray (東京ゴッドファーザーズ) (Australia)

Tokyo Godfathers Blu-ray Release Date September 6, 2017 (東京ゴッドファーザーズ). Blu-ray reviews, news, specs, ratings, screenshots. Cheap Blu-ray movies and deals.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
No, but i got the Australian one and like the original Perfect Blue BD, it looks very dated. There's also a UK release, which i think is derived from the same master.

www.blu-ray.com

Tokyo Godfathers Blu-ray (東京ゴッドファーザーズ) (Australia)

Tokyo Godfathers Blu-ray Release Date September 6, 2017 (東京ゴッドファーザーズ). Blu-ray reviews, news, specs, ratings, screenshots. Cheap Blu-ray movies and deals.
It's really sad how hard it is to get good quality BDs of Kon's works in English.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Subbed version screens next Tuesday. That's the one for me.

Just watched Perfect Blue for the first time in over a decade. What a movie.

Jun 17, 2019
Is any of the money that's being made from this going to go help fund the completion of his last movie? Because seriously that needs to be finished.

Kon also did an amazing short called Good morning and I would say he was a director that challenged view points in Japan regarding the whole notion of not paying mind to the truth at times.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Is any of the money that's being made from this going to go help fund the completion of his last movie? Because seriously that needs to be finished.

I watched some anime video essay the other day that talked about this and it brought up the following quote from Studio Madhouse co-founder Masao Maruyama:

For 4~5 years, I kept searching for a suitable director to complete Kon's work. Before his death, the storyboard and script, even part of the keyframe film was already completed. Then I thought, even if someone can mimic Kon's work, it would still be clear that it's only an imitation. For example, if Mamoru Hosoda took the director's position, the completed Dreaming Machine would still be a good piece of work. However, it's Hosoda's movie, not Kon's. Dreaming Machine should be Kon's movie, him and only him, not someone else's. That means we cannot and should not "compromise" only to finish it. I spent years, finally reached this hard conclusion. Instead, we should take only Kon's "original concept", and let somebody turn it into a feature film. By doing so, the completed piece could 100% be that person's work, and I'm OK with that. I also considered doing a documentary on Kon.

This is the first i've heard of that and while i can understand the sentiment, it's also a bit disheartening. Ideally, i'd want to see the film completed as close to Kon's vision as possible, but which talented anime director would want to subject themselves to a direct comparison to a dead man, who is also an industry legend. That's something you can never live up to. They'd get nitpicked to hell and back like Spielberg did with A.I.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I saw perfect blue in theaters and I was wondering if this has anything like
some of the sexual violence
I wanna bring my gf but I don't know if she'll enjoy it if it's in any way like that.

Also I was going to ask for opinions on whether to see the subs tonight or the dub next week but I guess no one has seen the dub since it's new!

Nov 5, 2017
I wanna bring my gf but I don't know if she'll enjoy it if it's in any way like that.

Not at all; Millennium Actress is overall more uplifting in tone compared to Perfect Blue. The original DVD release was rated PG, IIRC.

Seeing this tonight; very excited!

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018

Also I was going to ask for opinions on whether to see the subs tonight or the dub next week but I guess no one has seen the dub since it's new!

Perfect Blue is the other side of same coin of Millenium Actress
These two movies make much more sense if you see them as duology. dark/light

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Not at all; Millennium Actress is overall more uplifting in tone compared to Perfect Blue. The original DVD release was rated PG, IIRC.

Seeing this tonight; very excited!
Perfect Blue is the other side of same coin of Millenium Actress
These two movies make much more sense if you see them as duology. dark/light
Thanks!

Yeah I forgot to just look at the rating! I just saw perfect blue and went with it.

I'll probably see it tonight then!

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Also going to a screening tonight. Know nothing about the film but given the director's track record I expect it to be excellent.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this tonight. Great movie, of course.

This is an awful transfer. The "restoration" here has savaged the linework. Lines across the board in every frame are deteriorated, often impartial, sometimes small lines disappear entirely for a couple frames. Smaller, more distant faces become featureless blobs.

Kon's films are notable for their solidly constructed forms and strong lines. Here everything is made weaker by chicken-scratch outlines and corrupted, dancing details.

Now I don't know if this was the projection in my theater but everything was blown-out with crushed blacks. Dark scenes looked horrid.

I was so distracted by how bad the film looked projected onto a large screen. I know this is not how the movie was meant to look.

This is the new restorarion so this is the new home video version, as well. Honestly, it's insulting to the people who made this film and Kon's legacy. Saw this subtitled so can't comment on the new dub they are promoting along with the remaster.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

This is an awful transfer. The "restoration" here has savaged the linework. Lines across the board in every frame are deteriorated, often impartial, sometimes small lines disappear entirely for a couple frames. Smaller, more distant faces become featureless blobs.

Kon's films are notable for their solidly constructed forms and strong lines. Here everything is made weaker by chicken-scratch outlines and corrupted, dancing details.

Now I don't know if this was the projection in my theater but everything was blown-out with crushed blacks. Dark scenes looked horrid.

I was so distracted by how bad the film looked projected onto a large screen. I know this is not how the movie was meant to look.

This is the new restorarion so this is the new home video version, as well. Honestly, it's insulting to the people who made this film and Kon's legacy. Saw this subtitled so can't comment on the new dub they are promoting along with the remaster.

I thought maybe I was crazy. It felt like a DVD blown up on a screen at times. There were also a few typos here and there.

I still loved it and was teary eyed even when it started - which my friends couldn't get over. By the end, they understood and thought it was a truly beautiful movie. I don't usually hear people say that when they come out of films.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely noticed some DNR erasure going on but it only really stood out on figures in the distance.

Still a fantastic film and the more allegorical, optimistic nature of the film makes it a nice tonic to his darker, more twisted works like Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent. Hirasawa's score is so damn good, too.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I got invited to see this with some friends tonight and loved it. I was kinda slowly putting all the pieces together, and that last 10 minutes really hit me hard. Will definitely be picking this up if it makes its way to blu ray, since I really want to watch it again with all the added context of knowing where it ends up going.

I also noted that it looked a bit "blurry" and blown up at times, but I've never seen it so I didn't really pay it any mind. Really awesome that my first time watching it could be in the theater. The score was really awesome on those speakers.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017

That's disheartening to hear. It took this long for it to get a second chance outside of Japan after its western DVD release and it sounds like it's in a similarly poor shape as Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers. :/

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I had gone to a different theater when I saw this earlier today. The projector could not fit the entire movie on the screen so part of the top got cropped out and was showing on the ceiling. Apparently they had no way of fixing it. You would think a theater that's been doing these Fathom Event showings for over a year would have their shit together but it's still Amateur Hour for these places. Speaking of Amateur Hour, not sure how Eleven Arts could mess up with some of the subtitles but color me shocked. There was definitely one typo I noticed (this "team" has a wonderful aroma....really guys, does nobody proofread this shit?). And there was as instance late in the movie where subs appeared for like a split-second while there was still important dialogue being said. Good grief. I'm gonna see this again at a different theater. Hope the dub is good.

As for the movie, I glad I went in kinda blind seeing as it was my first time watching this. I say "kinda" as the pre-show had fun fact trivia and it almost nearly clued me in on what to expect. The structure of the story is pretty damn clever and the ending is bittersweet. I still have yet to see Paprika (which I own) but I will say this is my favorite Satoshi Kon film, with Tokyo Godfathers a close 2nd.

I wonder if Madhouse has issues with film preservation. Not that the film looks poor or anything, but it seems like a recurring problem with anime films from the late 90s-early 00s where there's clearly some kind of issue going on that has them using sources far removed from the negative, and as strange as it sounds, it may even be a situation where the negative may not actually exist anymore, which has been speculated a lot for Perfect Blue.

I will say that I didn't notice anything as extreme as HotHamBoy had at his screening, certainly not any issues with scenes looking too dark, but it does seem like that you really had to be there when it was first exhibited to get the most ideal experience in terms of visual quality.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this film for the first time and liked it a lot. Hope they continue showing Kon's work on the big screen.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from this. Holy shit that was amazing.

It was the only Kon film I hadn't seen before, but I think it's now my favourite. Pretty much perfect. Loved all the homages to Japanese cinema and the soundtrack was incredibly good.

Really happy that I've been able to see Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress on the big screen within the past year. Would love to see Paprika in a theater also.

Edit: also, we really need a blu-ray of this. Hopefully it follows Perfect Blue's recent example.

I wonder if Madhouse has issues with film preservation. Not that the film looks poor or anything, but it seems like a recurring problem with anime films from the late 90s-early 00s where there's clearly some kind of issue going on that has them using sources far removed from the negative, and as strange as it sounds, it may even be a situation where the negative may not actually exist anymore, which has been speculated a lot for Perfect Blue.

I will say that I didn't notice anything as extreme as HotHamBoy had at his screening, certainly not any issues with scenes looking too dark, but it does seem like that you really had to be there when it was first exhibited to get the most ideal experience in terms of visual quality.
I thought this looked pretty good. Certainly better than Perfect Blue.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I totally forgot I preordered tickets for this, missed my showing. Hoping for a blu-ray release afterwards, argh, kicking myself for forgetting about it, thought it was next Tuesday.

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot I preordered tickets for this, missed much showing. Hoping for a blu-ray release afterwards, argh, kicking myself for forgetting about it, thought it was next Tuesday.
If you're able to make it, I'm guessing your theater will be showing it dubbed on August 19th.

Considering it's a brand new dub, I'm actually tempted to go see it again.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to hear about the weak transfer - the film was remastered in 4K last year in Japan and I haven't heard any complaints about that version. I wonder if the US on is different? 🤔

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of it and I will never see it again because movies like this about someone reckoning with their past and dealing with death fuck me up and leave me sad and emotional.

That being said, brilliant movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to hear about the weak transfer - the film was remastered in 4K last year in Japan and I haven't heard any complaints about that version. I wonder if the US on is different? 🤔
The perfect blue transfer was also weak: it has intense wobbling for the first half of the film and is way too soft throughout. I wouldn't be shocked if MA had a similar fate

VHD Bloodlust has similar problems so you gotta wonder if it's just a madhouse thing

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Saw the Japanese track version when it released. Hadn't seen the film before. Thought it was fantastic. Maybe even slightly better than Perfect Blue, which I thought was amazing. Been waiting on the Blu date. Glad to finally have it.