• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
"We're investing to empower the world's two billion gamers to play the games they want with anyone, anywhere, on any device with our new game streaming service, Project xCloud which will enter public trials this fall," said Nadella. "Xbox Live monthly active users increased to a record 65 million with the highest number of mobile and PC users to date.

"We're bringing one of the the world's most popular video games to a new generation of mobile gamers with Minecraft Earth and mixed reality, and we nearly doubled our first-party studios this year to deliver differentiate content for our fast-growing subscription services like Xbox Game Pass, now available both on consoles and PC."

"I'll say we are in gaming because of what we believe are going to be the secular changes in the gaming addressable market for us," Nadella said later on. "We've always had a gaming position with console as well as the PC, but going forward we think that any end point can in fact be a great end point for high-end games, which is where our structural position is, and we now have a business model with Game Pass as well as all the supporting mechanisms for game pass like game streaming, we have a social network in Xbox Live that is the best in the business. So I feel we're well-positioned to what is going to be a much larger market than what was traditionally gaming in spite of all the success we've had over the years in gaming."

"The second point is that it builds on the rest of the cloud investment, so if you think about what we're doing with xCloud it's a workload on top of Azure," he continued. "If you think about capital allocation, what's happening in the cloud, what's happening in the edge, how we build the network, how we optimize with streaming… The same infrastructure for example is what Sony has decided to use as well and be on Azure as well as user AI capabilities."

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I thought they were reaching for 2.5 billion gamers yesterday? They must've missed a number.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo: Infinite is going to do some big numbers with the launch of a new xbox, game pass on xbox, game pass on PC, xcloud, cross play and cross buy.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I hope their vision comes together the way they're expecting. Next generation may be the first time in a while that all three platform holders are firing on all cylinders, and gamers will reap the benefits.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope their vision comes together the way they're expecting. Next generation may be the first time in a while that all three platform holders are firing on all cylinders, and gamers will reap the benefits.

Nintendo is due to release a flop console two years into the gen based on their normal trend though. Sony and Microsoft are getting their crap together though. That's for sure.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Even if not all of those things took off Halo is going to sell a lot on its own. Any combination after that will only help propel sales.
I assume you are answering the caveats part because BotW is gonna sell 30 million. You wanna bet?!

Game pass is not a sale no matter how much anyone insists.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I thought this guy wanted to get rid of the Xbox division a few years ago? maybe I'm miss remembering.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That didn't take long...since we're just spouting off numbers irrelevant to this thread for the sake of thread shitting, minecraft has sold over 176 million.

Natellas point is nonsense, and it's obvious because people are justifying it via success vectors. Whatever the hell that means.

Also Breath of the Wild is a 60 dollar product that doesn't need to be sold at a flea market.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo is due to release a flop console two years into the gen based on their normal trend though. Sony and Microsoft are getting their crap together though. That's for sure.

All Nintendo has to do is expand upon the success of the Nintendo Switch, so I think they'll be fine. Combining their console and handheld businesses was absolutely the right move to make, and I struggle to see how they can mess it up. All they have to do is make a Switch with better hardware...

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
A fully focused Xbox division with full support from the top is a terrifying yet exciting proposition.

This gen in the relative wilderness has done them some good.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
With their insistance to now bring all their titles to PC and Xbox and the push they have going with crossplay and crossbuy I think next gen will be huge for them.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume you are answering the caveats part because BotW is gonna sell 30 million. You wanna bet?!

Game pass is not a sale no matter how much anyone insists.

No I think BoTW will sell just fine I'm talking about Halo here. Gamepass doesn't have to count for a sale. It has proven to increase purchases of games and grows the userbase for online play.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A fully focused MS is a terrifying yet exciting proposition.

This gen in the relative wilderness has done them some good.

Genuinely, why do you say this?! They've produced no game that has captured people's attention in years. The only game that can be argued is Minecraft which they bought into and has consistently produced successes since then.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I assume limitless money will continue to flow into Xbox to support the growing market, beautiful.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There really is something about Xbox PR and setting up unrealistic expectations. For example, this gem from from the start of the generation about 1 billion consoles sold - like, what were they thinking? Numbers, I'm sure. 2 billion gamers just sounds inconceiveable to me. I'd love to know what their actual internal expectations are. That's still gotta be a tonnnnn of users.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I think BoTW will sell just fine I'm talking about Halo here. Gamepass doesn't have to count for a sale. It has proven to increase purchases of games and grows the userbase for online play.

It has proven nothing because Microsoft refuses to release actual numbers. If they have, show me. Show me something that isn't rate based.

You might want to double check.

I'm good. Halo is not a premier IP anymore. Microsoft has squandered it.

You're not using it correctly here and you're derailing the thread because of your semantics error. If I ask nicely, will you stop?

I'm not derailing anything. You aren't the arbiter of anything.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Genuinely, why do you say this?! They've produced no game that has captured people's attention in years. The only game that can be argued is Minecraft which they bought into and has consistently produced successes since then.

Because they still have some decent studios.
(I also think Forza Horizon turned a lot of heads around)

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft has been crushing it in the b2b space for the last few years. They're on to something, but I have no idea what that means for the gaming market.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
There really is something about Xbox PR and setting up unrealistic expectations. For example, this gem from from the start of the generation about 1 billion consoles sold - like, what were they thinking? Numbers, I'm sure. 2 billion gamers just sounds inconceiveable to me. I'd love to know what their actual internal expectations are. That's still gotta be a tonnnnn of users.

This isn't Xbox PR this is Microsoft's CEO.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has proven nothing because Microsoft refuses to release actual numbers. If they have, show me. Show me something that isn't rate based.

SoT, State of Decay and FH4 have been mega hits. The claim is backed by SKU sales, and sensibly one would imagine significant growth in DLC purchases for those that provide it like FH4. But I don't think your arguing in good faith, like usual.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Color me really, really skeptical about the potential market penetration of game streaming with the more casual gaming share that makes up most of those 2 billion people he mentioned.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

We're not talking about the article because you don't understand what caveat means and you're also being aggressive in all of your posts. You're making the conversation about you and your posts by doing these things. Please stop mutli-quoting people to argue about your semantics error. That's all I'm asking.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Microsoft has significant assets in both gaming (Xbox Live, studios, industry know-how) and cloud (Azure). On the face of it, their position is better than Google or Sony going into the streaming-first future of gaming. I fully expect Amazon to jump in at some point, however - they have the biggest cloud infrastructure and Twitch.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

What?! they have plenty of games that have captured peoples attention.

But it's not just gaming its services and features and how they've taken the disaster of the launch of the Xbox One and where they are here at the tail end of this gen with a fully refined and clear path for what they want to achieve next-gen.

I'm excited and hope their vision is a success.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not talking about the article because you don't understand what caveat means and you're also being aggressive in all of your posts. You're making the conversation about you and your posts by doing these things. Please stop mutli-quoting people to argue about your semantics error. That's all I'm asking.

You're asking me to stop quoting people to argue about semantics when you yourself are arguing semantics. I'm pretty perplexed.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed during E3 that they stopped saying "Two billion" gamers. I figured that they'd revised their strategy?

Last edited: