• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
For the streaming....their efforts are on PC (gamepass PC) and you need a system to streaming? At least an xbox one S (since the cancellation of lockhart) and considering that on mobile the streaming will have more problems that on console or system? Even for Google they require a Chromecast Ultra for the streaming ??
They're targeting mobile phones here, which pretty much everyone has at least one of at this point. And we don't know what their pricing model is going to be for the service. Why would someone buy an Xbox to stream when they can play natively or stream on their phone/PC?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
2 billion gamers everyone! Wooooooooooohhhh. 2 billion gamers!!!

I don't think trying to appeal to these mobile casual gamer market is really wise.

Games on the El Cheapo, but still would subscribe for the cloud.

It worked out quite okay for Netflix. High quality, diverse content for a fixed price. We'll see if it will work out.

I hope Sony follows the Disney+ model, personally.

I'm still waiting for God of War.. It's been more than a year and it's still not on PS Now.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
For the streaming....their efforts are on PC (gamepass PC) and you need a system for the streaming? At least an xbox one S (since the cancellation of lockhart) and considering that on mobile the streaming will have more problems that on console or system? Even for Google they require a Chromecast Ultra for the streaming ??

You need a screen for streaming. Most people have a phone or a tv.

Biggest hurdle is the controller.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Careful. The OP will call you a PS fanboy for such a remark.
You guys realize that Sony is partnering with Microsoft for Azure game streaming and Nintendo is rumored to be doing the same right?

Every single Xbox thread turns into shit like this, can you few posters just let it go for a bit?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
For the streaming....their efforts are on PC (gamepass PC) and you need a system for the streaming? At least an xbox one S (since the cancellation of lockhart) and considering that on mobile the streaming will have more problems that on console or system? Even for Google they require a Chromecast Ultra for the streaming ??
Stadia doesn't require Chromecast and can be streamed on phones. If you have a laptop you have access to Stadia and xCloud. We don't know how far reaching xCloud is it could be an app on Roku devices it could be....

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
It worked out quite okay for Netflix. High quality, diverse content for a fixed price. We'll see if it will work out.

I'm still waiting for God of War.. It's been more than a year and it's still not on PS Now.
Netflix is in major debt lol. Long term how long are they going to keep this up?? Movies are also passive media. I wonder how significant this whole xcloud nonsense is going to pan out lol.

And yeah everyone wants a piece of that pie.
Well enjoy waiting. They are not obligated to put stuff on PSNow. Support the devs and buy the game.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Netflix is in major debt lol. Long term how long are they going to keep this up?? Movies are also passive media. I wonder how significant this whole xcloud nonsense is going to pan out lol.

And yeah everyone wants a piece of that pie.
Well enjoy waiting. They are not obligated to put stuff on PSNow. Support the devs and buy the game.

The main reason why Netflix is in debt is that there's no other way to make money from movies. With Games, there are multiple ways to make money, GaaS, Microtransactions etc. It's not like MS has a problem with debt currently or have losses for a while.

Disney is preparing to lose Billions with Disney+

Not even the Disney+ model is going to be profitable for a long while.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Next gen will be exciting for gaming. Each platform is looking to own a different niche. Consumers need to stop fighting over which mega corporation is going to win in terms of who makes more billions from gaming. I'm pulling for Xbox to be successful enough to keep investing in Game Pass and leave Spencer in place...since he gives studios autonomy. Better than what they had in the past.

Nintendo and Sony safely have loyal worldwide market segments. Neither has to follow industry trends to remain profitable. HBO expanded after Netflix paved the way but they didn't become Netflix.

It's funny listening to 12 year old logic that the subscriptions won't work because $60 is more than $10. Leave the numbers to Nadella and Hood.

The Xbox One, it's sales, it's 1st party output...it's the end of the cycle for the Ballmer, Myerson, and Mattrick strategy and product. Next cycle is the Nadella, Hood and Spencer product.

Mainstream 5G adoption is about 3-5 years away. That may sound like a long time for consumers. It's nothing for a trillion dollar corporation who's next trillion is based on predicting market trends and getting their first.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
User Warned: Trolling, Antagonistic Behavior
The main reason why Netflix is in debt is that there's no other way to make money from movies. With Games, there are multiple ways to make money, GaaS, Microtransactions etc. It's not like MS has a problem with debt currently or have losses for a while.

Disney is preparing to lose Billions with Disney+

Not even the Disney+ model is going to be profitable for a long while.
Yes GaaS, Microtransactions for the win. Eying for those 2 billion gamers.

You know how despicable mobile games are in general. Shit is already festering unto triple A gaming, but yall are embracing this even more????

Oh hell nahhhhh. 😂👍🏼

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i hope Xbox betting the house on "streaming and subs" taking over in the most volatile entertainment industry because of what happened in much more predictable ones, doesn't backfire. We need a strong xbox in the industry and I think they would actually do good with proper backing at the traditional model of this industry which is by and far a proven successful model.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

You know how despicable mobile games are in general. Shit is already festering unto triple A gaming, but yall are embracing this even more????

Oh hell nahhhhh. 😂👍🏼

If Sony, Microsoft, Google Amazon etc want any chance in Game Streaming anywhere, they need to use the Netflix model. Majority of people favour the Netflix model for content. Just like people with Stadia, people don't like how you are to purchase a game and stream it.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

Oh hell nahhhhh. 😂👍🏼
They also sell their games on several platforms but, I mean you are free to ignore that too I suppose.

Feb 10, 2018
I hope their vision comes together the way they're expecting. Next generation may be the first time in a while that all three platform holders are firing on all cylinders, and gamers will reap the benefits.

Cloud gaming on a massive scale on mobile and other devices is going to happen, the question is when and on which services. Like other industries there will be a couple of big players.
I mean who would of thought android would be a bigger gaming platform then xbox, PlayStation and switch combined.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Oh hell nahhhhh. 😂👍🏼

Mobile gaming has been limited due to tech and platform. There's currently no AAA games available. Mobile gaming will evolve. These same mobile users have subscriptions.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think Terry did more damage than Matrick ever did
Agree. Mattrick was just his ventriloquist dummy. When Mattrick got swept out, investment only got worse in Xbox with Spencer in his spot. The difference in the Xbox brand has been removing Myerson, not Mattrick. Mattrick was horrible connecting with consumers though...which is why he was perfect for Myerson.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Surely this focus on GaaS, Microtransactions and Game Pass changes the entire way of how games are being developed. But yeah feel free to ignore that as well.
I mean, are you leveling this specifically at Game Pass? Because that service is relatively new, but we've had a major push towards GaaS and microtransactions throughout the entirety of the current console generation. And you'd have to be playing dumb to think that'll stop whether game streaming succeeds or not.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, what he's saying throughout this though is a statement of values and intent for the brand. Whether it's Xbox PR or not, the term "2 billion gamers" leaves a bit of a question mark. It's too ridiculous to quantify in a statement like this. Are these 2B gamers actually out there, or are they also counting non-gamers they might want to entice with their multitude of services?

Very fair point, but he said 2 billion gamers. I'm guessing from Microsoft's view there's a lot of cross-over to what a gamer is and that's fair enough.
Someone who only plays Microsoft Solitaire on their phone is a gamer to them. It doesn't really matter who you are

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I thought Xbox was doomed and they're gonna leave the market any day now?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
But I thought Xbox was doomed and they're gonna leave the market any day now?
You didn't hear? They tripled their studio count and doubled their employee count in some studios to sell off the business! Rock solid logic!

People need to get over platform X is dead and will go away forever. This desire to see the industry shrink is bizarre as hell to me.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the CEO that has turned Microsoft into most valuable company in the world and the same CEO who has supported Xbox more so than any CEO before him?

Some scoffed at the Minecraft investment, where are those sketics now?

Oh hell nahhhhh. 😂👍🏼

Yes, look at all those intrusive microtransactions in Forza Horizon 4, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and the upcoming Gears 5. Psychonauts 2 and The Outer Worlds watch out, you are about to become GaaS titles with microtransactions!

/s

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree. Mattrick was just his ventriloquist dummy. When Mattrick got swept out, investment only got worse in Xbox with Spencer in his spot. The difference in the Xbox brand has been removing Myerson, not Mattrick. Mattrick was horrible connecting with consumers though...which is why he was perfect for Myerson.
Not at all, in Mattricks interviews he came across as a clueless suit, but one that was in charge, the guy was poison for the brand. And this is backed up by Moore and Bach (in so many words) during thier roundtable wIth IGN.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You didn't hear? They tripled their studio count and doubled their employee count in some studios to sell off the business! Rock solid logic!

People need to get over platform X is dead and will go away forever. This desire to see the industry shrink is bizarre as hell to me.
I think its because the Xbox is the longest running American console in the business in a league primarly ran by Japanese Behemoths like Sony, Nintendo and Sega - and their clearly not going anywhere. Just my humble opinion though...

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Xbox going casual I guess /s

I've all but lost interest in the Xbox brand, it's going to take some work to sell me again.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If streaming etc does lend to more gamers entering the fold, then more power to Microsoft. I'm personally sceptical about the rate of adoption and appeal streaming will actually have.

How are you ascertaining it is the best selling? Do we have updated sales figures?
Isn't that Mario Kart?
Perhaps it is Mario Kart, but FH4 is amongst the top. Number available was PG numbers around ~9 mill, we've not had numbers from its closest competitor (GT) which FH4 has routinely beaten. Still no doubt it's one of the best racers (ever) that won GOTY awards, which goes against the point the original poster made that there's no game from MS that has made a mark. He's been banned, which is not a surprise (and deserved, thanks Mods).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox going casual I guess /s

I've all but lost interest in the Xbox brand, it's going to take some work to sell me again.

What if I told you that you'll be able to play Halo Infinite next holiday without buying an Xbox or needing a beefy PC?

why don't we see people saying that MS will go third party ?

3rd party doesn't make sense for anything other than Minecraft. The closet thing you would see is xCloud available on other consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the CEO that has turned Microsoft into most valuable company in the world

Elanarie doesn't work for Microsoft. EA...You popped your top over nothing. And EA is definitely NOT in great shape right now.

why don't we see people saying that MS will go third party ?

Them putting their content on everything including PS while still making their traditional box is not out of the question. They already submitted to Steam. They are clearly flirting with the idea internally and have already started putting games on Switch.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think we already had peak-ish audience right now unless they got another Wii phenomena

The idea is to bring in smartphone gaming into a larger talk about games. We've probably hit peak console adoption and those numbers will likely be around the same next gen but they're trying to build out a platform that gives smartphone only gamers (yes, they exist) a way to play console games without needing the console.

Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda different approach than Sony. Sony is aiming for the niche 200 million or so console gamers and MS for 2 billion. Hmm...

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea is to bring in smartphone gaming into a larger talk about games. We've probably hit peak console adoption and those numbers will likely be around the same next gen but they're trying to build out a platform that gives smartphone only gamers (yes, they exist) a way to play console games without needing the console.
Sure but I don't think there's a large audience of that due to numerous barriers. Also I don't think console games fit well with mobile, that's why typical console to mobile ports don't generally sell compared to your usual mobile games.
It's good that they are readying up for it though, it seems they're finally catching up with PSNow with better technology, plus there's also Stadia around the corner. MS will be largely a service-centered company, if not already so, going forward, won't be shocked if they go third-party-ish (release all their games on capable platform but offer a cheap hardware with some gamepass incentive) since they're dead on the console hardware side. Might be a wait and see situation for them next gen, when it comes to hardware side

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not at all, in Mattricks interviews he came across as a clueless suit, but one that was in charge, the guy was poison for the brand. And this is backed up by Moore and Bach (in so many words) during thier roundtable wIth IGN.

Interesting. Either way it's good they're out. In 2017 I was nearly done with the Xbox brand. Didn't have any faith there would be any significant investment in Xbox as long as Myerson had say. No signs of any vision. Just seemed like they were milking what was left of a dying legacy product. It's a major turnaround now that Xbox's head has as direct a line to Nadella as the head of their Cloud division. Unlike 2001, there's a limited number of people that have that direct line to the top.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny listening to 12 year old logic that the subscriptions won't work because $60 is more than $10. Leave the numbers to Nadella and Hood.

Yeah, the obsession in gaming circles around units sold is weird to me. For film enthusiasts, nobody uses tickets sold as a real metric. It's all about revenue. If a movie moves 50 million tickets for a dollar, that's still not good! (relative to the budget at least).

Games used that metric reliably because 95% of games were released for usually the same price, and since the sales fell off a cliff after the first month for most titles, units sold wasn't a bad way to estimate a game's success. But these days, it's sketchy at best. Subs, DLC, merch from streamers pushing the game, etc... There's a million ways to monetize a game now beyond "sell as many copies as possible for $60 at retail in the first month or we go under."

You know how despicable mobile games are in general

I mean, Pokemon Go is a mobile title, and it's arguably one of the best Pokemon games in my opinion. It's certainly a lot more social, which was a main theme of the series going back to Gameboy Link Cables. Doesn't hurt that the game is wildly successful despite "hardcore gamerz" acting like it's a dead game.

Probably true. You have to have an advocate in the room and gaming never did at MS until Phil got promoted.

I think the gears were at least turning when MS updated their logo for the first time. They made Xbox (and gaming) a part of it and conspicuously left Windows Phone off of it, at a time when they were still justifying that division publicly.

But yeah, when Satya got in there, it was a huge turnaround for the company. And not just in gaming.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Terry Myerson. He lead Windows for a while when Xbox was thrown under the Windows software and hardware division. He despised Xbox and thought it was a waste of money.

Funny thing is, he left/was forced out, Windows was given a back seat and it's just another MS product now, not a major initiative anymore, and Xbox/Gaming was elevated to having its own executive on the board. Funny how having a fresh set of eyes and an open mind can really change the direction of a company/product.