• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
https://www.dualshockers.com/xbox-one-x-incredible-response-satya-nadella/

"We're mobilizing to pursue an expansive opportunity in the 100+ billion gaming market. This means broadening our approach to how we think about gaming end-to-end. About starting with games and how they're created and distributed, and how they're played and viewed."

Nadella continued by mentioning that the company will continue to connect its gaming assets across PC, consoles, and mobile, and they will work to "grow and engage the over 53 million Xbox Live members more deeply and frequently" with new services like Game Pass and Mixer.

Nadella also added that the Xbox One X, which he defined the "most technically advanced and most powerful console ever built" is seeing "incredible response from fans this Holiday season."

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Xbox is probably their second biggest brand after Windows. They'd be crazy to drop it.

Edit: nvm probably not biggest brand but if you take away Xbox, Microsoft doesn't really have a lot compared to Google or Apple in terms of hardware.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Xbox is probably their second biggest brand after Windows. They'd be crazy to drop it.
I'm honestly surprised there's no DLC in MS Office. Fonts, templates and other features that are generally paid outside the MS Office needs to be included in MS Office directly, compensating the font creators for each purchase while making their own cut.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if they're still going with "we're done with exclusives" mentality. As is, I have no reason to own an Xbox One and ended up selling it. Sad considering all the great exclusives 360 had that made it a must own console.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they could also make Windows Store not a total diarrheic pigvomit while they're at it. That would be nice, after operating it for years with zero improvements.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure what to make of the quote. I hope that's a good thing.

What other brands do they have? Is Office a brand?
Also, where does Zune place in these power rankings? :P

I'd probably put Office in the second place spot

Forgot about Office. But I was just thinking of all the brands they've gone through. Windows Phone (multiple times), Zune, Kin, Band. Compared to other big tech companies like Google or Apple, they don't have much. If you take away Xbox, you'd just have Windows, Office, and possibly Surface depending on how long that can do well.

Oh shit I forgot about Azure and Skype. Well I mean, let's specify hardware then.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Is there a reason they don't bring Game Pass to PC? Doesn't Origin Access do really well for EA? I can't imagine Game Pass not succeeding on PC.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
I've been loving my Xbox X. If MS keeps up the good job they've doing going to the X4, I'll be there day 1

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Not sure what to make of the quote. I hope that's a good thing.

What other brands do they have? Is Office a brand?
Also, where does Zune place in these power rankings? :P
Zune died with Xbox Music, which became Groove Music later on. With Groove Music Pass being phased out, now it's just a feature-incomplete WMP and Zune :(

Happy to hear the Xbox One X satisfies the company, hope to see more investments towards platform branching and possible mobile titles on Android/iOS/UWP. Definitely would like more work towards making the Xbox platform a unique environment.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I wonder if they're still going with "we're done with exclusives" mentality. As is, I have no reason to own an Xbox One and ended up selling it. Sad considering all the great exclusives 360 had that made it a must own console.
Lucky for them, that mentality means that even if you buy one of their games on PC, you're still giving them money.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
As a fan and owner of the Xbox One X and other older Xbox Hardware it is good to hear things like this from the "Boss". I know in the past with the talk of lack of 1st party games, lackluster hardware etc, that the thought of many fans both pro and against felt that the suits at MS did not have faith in the brand, even to the point where some posters would make comments about MS selling off the Xbox brand. It is just good to hear from the main boss that they are behind the brand and look to improve things further. All those words sound great, but like many the proof is in the pudding and they have an amazing base with the Xbox One X, let's see where they grow from here on out with that as being a great base/foundation.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
They should give away a big game like Gears 4 or Forza Horizon 3 if you create a windows store account.
What? What is this? You expect a AAA game free for making an account? Also, I imagine the majority of people already have accounts. If you've ever used Skype, Xbox, Windows 10, Outlook, MSN, Bing, Office, etc. You likely have a Microsoft account.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
microsoft_revenues-600x342.png

This is based on 2016 revenue.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It seems like they've knocked it out of the park with the XBOX (and I certainly appreciate the improvements they've made to the Xbone UI). I hope 2018 will see them move in a positive direction on the software side of things. I worry that this is all moving towards more and more GaaS for them, but that's just the general direction of the industry so I couldn't blame them.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What? What is this? You expect a AAA game free for making an account? Also, I imagine the majority of people already have accounts. If you've ever used Skype, Xbox, Windows 10, Outlook, MSN, Bing, Office, etc. You likely have a Microsoft account.

i have windows 10 but i dont remember making an account, it came with my PC. I'm just throwing out idea's for getting lazy steam owners like me to get into that store and help them out.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about Office. But I was just thinking of all the brands they've gone through. Windows Phone (multiple times), Zune, Kin, Band. Compared to other big tech companies like Google or Apple, they don't have much. If you take away Xbox, you'd just have Windows, Office, and possibly Surface depending on how long that can do well.

Oh shit I forgot about Azure and Skype. Well I mean, let's specify hardware then.
But them you have to consider MS was never a hardware focused company, by that logic Google only really started to have success with their hardware a few years back with stuff like chromecast and the pixel line (not counting the nexus phones, that was never really super popular, as good as it was).

Microsoft real profit always came from software.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news about Xbox X, good to see their hard work paying off, also, Nadella seems so supportive of the brand, I feel like hes not only onboard, hes happy to make significant investment towards its develpoment.

Either way, congrats Phil my man!

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lucky for them, that mentality means that even if you buy one of their games on PC, you're still giving them money.
Yeah, if. I don't care about Forza or Gears, so nothing so far. From MS at least. Their lost third party exclusives are what I've bought, so they're still not getting anything from me currently.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Him mentioning that XBX is getting a good response from fans can probably be interpreted as it selling well? Better than usual?

That would indeed be disappointing. But Phil did say otherwise a while ago, so I digress.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I also expect Azure to go past Office in the next few years. Azure, Office, Xbox and Surface are their money makers. Windows is their ecosystem which they'll use to sell you stuff.

Yep, Azure is the companies future and Xbox fits nicely into it as an entertainment service as well as being their only real consumer facing brand.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
But them you have to consider MS was never a hardware focused company, by that logic Google only really started to have success with their hardware a few years back with stuff like chromecast and the pixel line (not counting the nexus phones, that wqs never really super popular, as good as it was).

Microsoft real profit always came from software.
Well sure, but since Surface Pro 4, Microsoft in my opinion has been one of the best hardware designers in recent memory. And transitioning all hardware including Xbox to Surface Team was the best idea they've ever had. The Surface team designed Xbox consoles are so much better than the old Xbox hardware team.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft went and changed their company logo for the first major design change in the company's history and part of it was dedicated to Xbox (while Windows Phone was missing lol, so there's that). They like the division. Promoting Phil to a higher level was more proof. The idea that the Xbox branch is on the edge of getting canned is fanboy wankery.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust Satya with a consumer product but we will see.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just mean or are those statements complete vague and meaningless.
It's from the general shareholder meeting.
Many of those don't know much about gaming in detail, so yes it's just a general statement.

There was even a shareholder asking about gaming and how they approach young kids don't get harmed by violent stuff in games etc.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Good, I'm in love with my silent Scorpio, it makes me feel like I'm definitely getting my money's worth of my 4k/HDR tv. That's all I could ask for.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well sure, but since Surface Pro 4, Microsoft in my opinion has been one of the best hardware designers in recent memory. And transitioning all hardware including Xbox to Surface Team was the best idea they've ever had. The Surface team designed Xbox consoles are so much better than the old Xbox hardware team.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Microsoft's hardware is bad, in fact I think they are bringing innovation on pc hardware way more than Apple is nowadays.

But that was never their bread and butter, software is what brings them money, so saying that they never had a brand except for Xbox is a weird thing, the Xbox brand is tiny compared to Windows, Office and Azure.

But I'm happy that they seem like they are staying away from trying to ''expand'' the Xbox brand in stupid ways or thinking that they should stop investing in it like a few years ago.

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't trust Satya with a consumer product but we will see.

This consumer product in particular is extremely important because it targets the younger generation. It's worth more than a consumer product that targets the 30+ range (though Xbox will start to do that more as we all age). Brand recognition is important even when the population group that recognizes the brand isn't necessarily your primary consumer base because they will potentially become your primary consumer base.

As for this, it sounds like we'll be getting more GaaS, but otherwise it's full steam ahead for Xbox.