• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when Sony will improve their stock situation.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Great numbers for Xbox, glad to see competition heating up this gen.

Azure Gaming is going to be massive as well. As game development gets more expensive having automations and ways to make it more efficient has to be a huge boon for Azure. I think that's another reason why Microsoft is pouring so much into Microsoft Gaming. Feed the Azure monster.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
super impressive especially when you consider how bad last gen was for Xbox. This is such a turn around.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
This may be a stock induced blip but with the wide output of exclusives coming, especially once ABK is onboarded, I think this bodes well. Especially the Game Pass numbers.

It looks like we're getting Gen 7 all over again except this time Sony's making killer profits too. As it should be. Everyone wins in this scenario.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
After the Xbox One generation, there was no way in hell this would've even been expected even with shortages, Xbox was almost dead.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This generation is falling right into Microsoft's hands.

Benefitting from supply constraint issues early on, and are on track to be hitting their full stride in 2023, 2024 and beyond with must-play exclusive titles once hardware is more widely available.

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
I get that Sony's stock challenges have probably helped MS, but this is still pretty impressive. It at least means that there is high demand for Xbox.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
This generation is falling right into Microsoft's hands.

Benefitting from supply constraint issues early on, and are on track to be hitting their pick in 2023, 2024 and beyond with must-play exclusive titles once hardware is more widely available.

Yeah you'd have to think some amount of the share is people that wanted PlayStations but couldn't get them because of chip shortages.

That said the chip shortage is envisioned to be a temporary scenario in the long run Sony will outsell MS, they have the stronger brand and stronger demand for their system.

But evening up the playing field from the 2-1 dominance of last gen I think is a better position for the console gaming and consumers alike.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Similar to how it was obvious mid to late 360/PS3 generation that PlayStation was on a path to absolutely killing it in their own respect with the subsequent generation, it's been clear for a few years now that Microsoft is seemingly doing just about everything right. Success isn't at all surprising tbh, they've laid out a very compelling value proposition with the Series X/S

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
But evening up the playing field from the 2-1 dominance of last gen I think is a better position for the console gaming and consumers alike.
For sure. Parity between the console manufacturers is probably optimal for consumers.

Playstation probably kicking themselves over their supply constraints the past several months. With several premier titles launching to PS5, they didn't have the units to move when Xbox was at its most empty in terms of first party releases. Starfield around the corner is going to be big, and should itself tide people over under until the 2023/2024 XGS releases

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Every time I see huge numbers like that:

Just think what we could accomplish if we spent the billions of hours, like, saving ourselves from going extinct or keeping kids from getting shot at school.

Ten minutes later:

Hour 100 of Skyrim in the past two weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a turn around from not reporting hardware sales for years to reporting you outsold everyone during a quarter.

Did series really outsell switch? Totally 100% possible, just wanted to know if it happened.

That said a lot of this has to do with huge stock issues

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Makes sense. This quarter also had pretty low expectations and they exceeded it.

Did series really outsell switch? Totally 100% possible, just wanted to know if it happened.
In March in the UK it actually did. But nah this doesn't include Switch. It's mostly slowly chipping away Sony marketshare.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Xbox Series X/S was the UK’s top-selling console in March | VGC

The PS5 was in third place again as stock shortages continue…

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah, I don't see that as a bad thing. It's the Summer and honestly the release schedule across the board for this quarter is fucking DIRE.

I'd be interested to see if the simple fact that Game Pass exists on the platform, and the subs continue to grow, might help it sustain better than the same period last year. Because it ain't gonna be about the games.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Xbox really is becoming Microsoft' most visible consumer-oriented brand quickly. Great turnaround and there is much more to come.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
They don't even need to release major exclusives to be number one, crazy.

Game Pass sells the consoles on its own and they haven't even started marketing it yet.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I get that Sony's stock challenges have probably helped MS, but this is still pretty impressive. It at least means that there is high demand for Xbox.
Yeah, it's not only stock challenges because MSFT have their own with the Series X. It's a damn good offering by MSFT this generation and that sums it up. It will not be a 2:1 generation and I'm glad because good competition will lead to gamers winning even more.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once the Activision acquisition goes through completely and Microsoft starts getting timed exclusivity on those games the market share is going to really take off. It'll be interesting to see.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
God bless competition.

Also, his comment doesn't really make sense since the Switch outsold the Series consoles in NA.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
They don't even need to release major exclusives to be number one, crazy.

Game Pass sells the consoles on its own and they haven't even started marketing it yet.
Yeah that's the most interesting thing to me. They don't really even market Game Pass. I've never seen a TV ad, usually they do small Twitter video ads. I'd be interested when they start doing entire ad campaigns on TV like old Netflix commercials lmao.

God bless competition.

Also, his comment doesn't really make sense since the Switch outsold the Series consoles in NA.
Switch is probably not considered a "next gen" system by the industry.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Going into this generation, I didn't expect MS to do this well, I think by the end of generation, won't see the gap we saw last gen but actually equal, maybe more depending how fast MS get's through the acquisitions

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah that's the most interesting thing to me. They don't really even market Game Pass. I've never seen a TV ad, usually they do small Twitter video ads. I'd be interested when they start doing entire ad campaigns on TV like old Netflix commercials lmao.

Switch is probably not considered a "next gen" system by the industry.
Oh, that makes sense then. Still, great achievement and good for consumers to have more than 1 system constantly at the top.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Hope they keep it up, things are looking great for Xbox right now.

Generation is shaping up to be super competitive, it'll be a tight race for anyone that isn't named Nintendo. Should be nice!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. Now bring on the games.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who hasn't played games since PS2 era pick up an S, and my brother in law who swore he was done with console gaming pick up and S because Game Pass was too good to pass up. I think MS will be fine this gen.