• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
The Public Investment Fund, Saudi Arabia's sovereign-wealth fund, recently purchased large stakes in videogame companies.

Public Investment is now one of the largest shareholders in Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts and Take-Two Interactive. The fund bought the shares in the fourth quarter, according to a form it filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

In recent Tuesday afternoon trading, Public Investment's Activision stake is worth $1.54 billion, and the investments in EA and Take-Two are valued at $1.1 billion and $777 million, respectively.

www.barrons.com

Saudi Arabia Invested Billions of Dollars in Videogame Stocks

Saudi Arabia’s sovereign-wealth fund, Public Investment Fund, bought large stakes in Activision, Electronic Arts, and Take-Two in the fourth quarter.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is par for the course. It has always invested in large tech and finance companies so this seems like a natural extension of that.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
You'll be seeing a lot more of this. It also goes hand-in-hand with their expansion of investments in tech.
Petrostates that have the means to are radically diversifying their wealth and holdings.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
The eventual reality of the entertainment industry will be that so many morally bankrupt players will be foundational financial backers that to continue to indulge in any way will be an ethical hazard. We're already seeing this with the Uighur involvement with our electronics, conservative conspiracists in acting and design, etc.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
They saw all the sexism and homophobia in the industry and community and were like, damn, we need to get on that shit.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
absolutely great, was hoping that the pif invests in more game development studios/publishers and not just snk, the games industry has massive potential.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you want to live in a cave, we need a better metric than 'X' invests in 'Y' stocks.
Tencent is also all over gaming. Sadly, that's the realities of unrestricted global capital flows. Some bad actor is going to have their hands in a pie you enjoy.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
They won't have any say, maybe except asking one of them to make a positive game or character based in Middle East?

They just want to make money, not control content.

I'm all for creating a positive middle eastern game/character/whatever. Just so long as they add, not take away.

Tbh, the first thought that I had was "shit, women representation in games will just get even worse."

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds pretty normal (if that's the right word) for sovereign wealth funds to be highly diversified...?

All investments | Norges Bank Investment Management

Search in all of the fund's investments by country, asset class and sector. The information is available for every year since our first investment in 1998.

Activision Blizzard Inc (1.05%)
Electronic Arts Inc (0.95%)
Microsoft Corp (0.99%)
Nintendo Co Ltd (1.18%)
Sony Corp(1.64%)
Team17 Group PLC (2.6%)
Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (0.98%)
Ubisoft Entertainment SA (2.19%)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds pretty normal (if that's the right word) for sovereign wealth funds to be highly diversified...?

Search in all of the fund's investments by country, asset class and sector. The information is available for every year since our first investment in 1998.

Microsoft Corp (0.99%)
Nintendo Co Ltd (1.18%)
Sony Corp(1.64%)
Team17 Group PLC (2.6%)

Damn... I dont like funding pieces of shit like MBS.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft Corp (0.99%)
Nintendo Co Ltd (1.18%)
Sony Corp(1.64%)
Team17 Group PLC (2.6%)

Hope the boycotters are updating their lists.

Oct 27, 2017

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
You'll be seeing a lot more of this. It also goes hand-in-hand with their expansion of investments in tech.
Petrostates that have the means to are radically diversifying their wealth and holdings.
All of which is smart on any country in that position and with the reliance on fossil fuels possibly declining greatly in the next 20 years should even be applauded. But..it's Saudi Arabia and if Tencent creates some unrest because of Chinese politics, then Saudi Arabia buying into these companies should make us all very concerned.

Do not be fooled by the government's constant inaction against Saudi Arabia for years of crimes, murders and terrorism; they just happen to be the one of two countries in the region that our country pretends to care about, Iran the other, with enough power, influence, and in Saudi Arabia's case enough money invested in US companies to not be touched.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I really hope it falls through.

Not wanting your money to go to a murderer like MBS is worth the "outcry".
You still don't get it, anyone with money was able to buy stocks before. We don't know each individuals past. You also implied suck more this generation as though you are upset about anyone selling anything.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft Corp (0.99%)
Nintendo Co Ltd (1.18%)
Sony Corp(1.64%)
Team17 Group PLC (2.6%)
The link is not working for me for some reason. Are these all related to Saudi Arabia's sovereign-wealth fund?
edit: just saw the comment above.

Oct 27, 2017
You still don't get it, anyone with money was able to buy stocks before. We don't know each individuals past. You also implied suck more this generation as though you are upset about anyone selling anything.
No, I get it. It still sucks when people like MBS are joining in this race.

I don't care if you don't care about this but don't make it out as if people like MBS were getting involved in gaming before.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
This is the Saudi Public Investment Fund, it's not owned by MBS, and its income doesn't go to MBS, it goes to the government, it's one of the country's major sources of income.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

I don't care if you don't care about this but don't make it out as if people like MBS were getting involved in gaming before.

Nobody is joining the race.

Publicly available companies trade their shares publicly. Anyone (well, okay, almost anyone) can set up a representative or use one of the publicly available mediators in whatever country a public company is traded in, and purchase shares.

You can do it. I can do it. Anyone can. This does not mean that whoever has purchased shares suddenly somehow has a say in anything. It is the equivalent to all the random Reddit users buying Gamestop shares few weeks ago, just on a slightly bigger scale.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is joining the race.

Publicly available companies trade their shares publicly. Anyone (well, okay, almost anyone) can set up a representative or use one of the publicly available mediators in whatever country a public company is traded in, and purchase shares.

You can do it. I can do it. Anyone can. This does not mean that whoever has purchased shares suddenly somehow has a say in anything. It is the equivalent to all the random Reddit users buying Gamestop shares few weeks ago, just on a slightly bigger scale.
You think MBS investing in SNK isn't joining the race?

www.gamesindustry.biz

Crown prince of Saudi Arabia's foundation to buy 51% stake in SNK

The Mohammad bin Salman Charity Foundation is set to take a controlling stake in Japanese games firm SNK.The not-for-pr…

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Well to put it bluntly, if money can be made those who can invest will invest. These companies also limit shares so that they don't have control of decisions being made. In other words you cannot buy 51% of Apple even if you are Elon Musk.

I know exactly where you are coming from, once you identify the buyer we can then form out own opinion on the matter. The fact is there could have been shady people all along owning gaming stocks.

I also don't get the anger or frustration about how this gen sucks because of deals being made. What exactly is sucking more now than it did prior as far as your gaming habits?

Oct 27, 2017
Well to put it bluntly, if money can be made those who can invest will invest. These companies also limit shares so that they don't have control of decisions being made. In other words you cannot buy 51% of Apple even if you are Elon Musk.

I know exactly where you are coming from, once you identify the buyer we can then form out own opinion on the matter. The fact is there could have been shady people all along owning gaming stocks.

I also don't get the anger or frustration about how this gen sucks because of deals being made. What exactly is sucking more now than it did prior as far as your gaming habits?
What sucks is I want to minimize giving money to people like MBS, CCP and others. That's what.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
You think MBS investing in SNK isn't joining the race?

www.gamesindustry.biz

Crown prince of Saudi Arabia's foundation to buy 51% stake in SNK

The Mohammad bin Salman Charity Foundation is set to take a controlling stake in Japanese games firm SNK.The not-for-pr…

It's diversifying and investing, it's normal. Shady people are probably involved in some capacity in more than just this precious hobby.

Edit: I can go and buy 1 share of Nintendo. I can be a jackass. Would you know? No...

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Hope the boycotters are updating their lists.

3562.jpg

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I really love the implications that the fund is for mbs even though all the profits is going to develop the country and make more opportunities for saudi people but even then you see some talking about saudi in general as a terrorist country while their own countries bomb and kill innocent people every day in syria, Afghanistan and other countries but it's ok as long as they live in a democracy then they can attack anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
You may have been giving them money all along without even knowing it because stocks were always available to be bought.

What were the other reasons prior to why this generation will suck?
First of, I know who I am giving money to. I always try to minimize giving money to such assholes if I can.

Second, why do you care why I think this gen is going to suck? It is clear that you don't feel that way but I do. Why does it matter to you?
It's diversifying and investing, it's normal. Shady people are probably involved in some capacity in more than just this precious hobby.

Edit: I can go and buy 1 share of Nintendo. I can be a jackass. Would you know? No...
Are you going around killing journalists and turning them into goo? Because there are different levels of "bad". Someone like MBS getting involved is another level.
SNK as a whole is worth less than 1% in Activision. I'd hardly call that joining the race.
Why does the size of a company matter?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
First of, I know who I am giving money to. I always try to minimize giving money to such assholes if I can.

Yes, I get that but as I said we have no idea who is investing where but I guess now that this is public you are free to change where you spend your money now.
Second, why do you care why I think this gen is going to suck? It is clear that you don't feel that way but I do. Why does it matter to you?

You made a statement on a public forum where topics like this have active discussion, is it not reasonable to ask for a follow-up as to why? It's entirely up to you what you choose to answer.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I get that but as I said we have no idea who is investing where but I guess now that this is public you are free to change where you spend your money now.

You made a statement on a public forum where topics like this have active discussion, is it not reasonable to ask for a follow-up as to why? It's entirely up to you what you choose to answer.
I said why in my first post didn't I? There are various reasons but they don't fit this particular thread. Unless you want me to derail the thread?