• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You may remember me from a thread about seeing someone abandoning a dog at a McDonalds parking lot. There are a lot of strays in my area....

Was across the street in a parking lot, when a car hit a medium sized dog.

The dog yelped and yelped and limped on the grass and laid down. The car having stopped then continued on.

2 men in the parking lot next to the dog walked over, saw the dog lift its head up, and i guess this being enough for them went back to what they were doing.

The dog then gets up and limps over to the men and then lies back down near them. They ignore it.

2 women who were ahead of me to get out of the parking lot i was in zipped across the street and checked on the dog. One grabbed a blanket and picked the dog up and put it in her car and they left. I assume to take the dog to a vet. Had they not been there, I would have taken it upon myself to help the dog.

I dont know what outraged me more, the guy hitting the dog and driving off, or the 2 assholes who couldn't be bothered to help the poor animal. Fucking assholes.

I hope the dog was able to be helped. I guess that depends on how far that stranger was wiling to go.

Edit: perhaps I wasn't clear. I was across the street. Waiting in traffic. A car ahead of me got their first and they were gone by the time I was able to get out of the lot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered this. If I saw an animal get hit by a car and took it to the vet, would I be responsible for the bill? Never been in that situation and I'm truly curious.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered this. If I saw an animal get hit by a car and took it to the vet, would I be responsible for the bill? Never been in that situation and I'm truly curious.
Sure would.

I mean it seems like people actually did care, a lot of people in the world are assholes. Luckily those 2 ladies weren't.

you didn't do anything either it seems like lol

Sure he did, he made a thread about people not doing anything.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know if a vet is near where I'm located. I wouldn't have been able to do anything either, especially if I was busy like the two dudes may have been.

A month ago I was at my uncle's vacation house which no one ever really use, and we found kittens in the storage building. There was no animal control number for the city to call so we did nothing other than shoo them away.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
"Saw a dog get hit by a car. I watched as others took care of it and came here to judge them."

Oct 30, 2017
The North Beast

If they left the animal at the vet, the cost would be assumed by the vet. If you decide to keep the animal, sometimes they will give you a discounted rate.

I've adopted a few pets this way.

The cruelty of humanity knows no bounds, op. We are only responsible for our own actions.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
My dog got hit by a car last Tuesday. Car didn't stop, went over him with both tires. Two teens in the area knew who he was, saw it, and ran to my house right away, and while I was crying in the street they were directing traffic away and a vet pulled over and helped me take him to emergency care. He passed 7hrs later, but all I want to do is find the people that helped me and give them the longest hug cuz I literally love them.

Yes, I was originally billed $2500 for 24hr care, but they gave me back $400 since he passed early (only used 7 out of 24 so not a huge refund considering but I didn't have the energy to fight it)
Edit: nvm your question was about a stranger taking an injured dog to a vet, not if your own dog got hit.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
My dog got hit by a car last Tuesday. Car didn't stop, went over him with both tires. Two teens in the area knew who he was, saw it, and ran to my house right away, and while I was crying in the street they were directing traffic away and a vet pulled over and helped me take him to emergency care. He passed 7hrs later, but all I want to do is find the people that helped me and give them the longest hug cuz I literally love them.

Yes, I was originally billed $2500 for 24hr care, but they gave me back $400 since he passed early (only used 7 out of 24 so not a huge refund considering but I didn't have the energy to fight it)
Wait, did your dog run away or something?

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone

It depends. Do you plan on keeping the dog? If not, most vets may have agreements with local animal shelters where costs are covered for adoptable animals who are brought in secondhand.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

If its a stray you are bringing it probably not, though if the injuries are bad they are probably going to just put it down unless there is a person/shelter willing to take on the costs.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
You could take it to the spca if you have one. They take in injured animals and fix them up.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
[
Wait, did your dog run away or something?
Its a long story. I live with my sister and her bf moved in awhile ago. He got abusive that night and all the doors were open. My dog got scared and ran off. When I got home I threw her bf out and called the cops. After the cops left the teens ran to the door and told me.

Whole night was awful cuz the bf came back at 3am and was stalking the house banging on the door and hanging outside my window. Called the cops again and they arrested him only to let him go 30min later and he came back.

Had to call the head office to see if he can be evicted and all they did was threaten to evict all of us if he didn't leave in 3 days (this wasn't the first or second time cops have been called on him). Luckily sobered up he was "kind enough" to finally leave so we wouldnt lose the house. I had very little time to mourn my dog.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
But you could have waited. I'm not giving you shit, and I love animals, but at the same time they aren't people. People have all different priorities.
What are you talking about could have waited? He saw all of this go down at a red light, he was planning on going to help the dog, before he could drive there someone else picked up the dog. Wait for what?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Ive seen that kind of apathy in person. We actually got out of our car on the main Harbour Bridge to move someones dog that had died off the road because nobody else fucking decided to (the traffic was moving slowly).

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
So, in other words, there were extenuating circumstances that rendered you incapable of helping in the situation.

And you're completely incapable of considering there may have been extenuating circumstances that prevented other people from helping in the situation.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
bcd.jpg

I mean, people did care enough to go help the dog. Thread should just be "saw two guys who didn't help a hurt dog" or even better "two ladies stopped to help an injured dog". Also, as someone who has a pet dog, vet trips are expensive even for small stuff. Like, I'm sorry, it sucks but it's not something most people can shell out money for, and I doubt most people want to just put it out of its misery either. Fuck that person for hitting them, but it's not the responsibility of anyone but that person to help. It's great if they do, but I can understand if they don't.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, probably wouldn't have done anything either.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even know if a vet is near where I'm located. I wouldn't have been able to do anything either, especially if I was busy like the two dudes may have been.

A month ago I was at my uncle's vacation house which no one ever really use, and we found kittens in the storage building. There was no animal control number for the city to call so we did nothing other than shoo them away.

???

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. In that situation I wouldn't be so quick to judge because I don't know anything about those peoples personal/financial situation. I'd feel bad but I probably wouldn't drop what I was doing and go to the vet for a random animal.

Someone helped and that should be your take away OP. Not shiting on those other dudes because they didn't live up to your standards.

Oct 26, 2017
In most cases, no. My wife works at a veterinarian ICU, and they have a fund for stray animals. It isn't a ton, but every stray brought in has X amount of dollars they can spend to take care of it. We foster stray animals. The animal could have money left in it's stray fund, but the moment we sign papers that we're going to foster, it loses the stray fund and THEN we're responsible for all bills.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP you could have put the car on park and ran for the dog. You valued getting a $100-200 ticket over a dog's life.