• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
You are wrong, because most people jumped to a conclusion.
No jumping really. More kind of a slow saunter up to a clear conclusion based on evidence at hand.

OP you could have put the car on park and ran for the dog. You valued getting a $100-200 ticket over a dog's life.

Right? I do this for turtles crossing the road and see many people do it when something like this happens. You throw your shit in park, put on your hazards and go do what you need to do.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's not cold, and they seemed fast enough to wait on their mother. I just wanted them out of the building and off the property. There was nothing I could help them with, it's best to leave wild animals alone, the only reason I intervened was because they invaded the space. It wasn't a busy area, and there's a lot of space off the property to hide (woods). I did ask someone with a pet if there was an animal control in the area and there was none.

Last edited:

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I don't even know if a vet is near where I'm located. I wouldn't have been able to do anything either, especially if I was busy like the two dudes may have been.

A month ago I was at my uncle's vacation house which no one ever really use, and we found kittens in the storage building. There was no animal control number for the city to call so we did nothing other than shoo them away.
You do understand that you post on the internet, a tool for more than increasing post count that can indeed have rather easily found the closest animal shelter or service or even a quick post on social media that "hey kittens!" would get people throwing information

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
what if I just bring the dog to the vet, lay it down in the middle of waiting room, and run the hell out of there? I'd want to help the dog but I sure as fuck wouldn't pay for it.

I have no idea but I have a feeling it won't end well. Vets don't have a legal obligation to treat any animal that comes in like it's a doctor in the ER.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You do understand that you post on the internet, a tool for more than increasing post count that can indeed have rather easily found the closest animal shelter or service or even a quick post on social media that "hey kittens!" would get people throwing information
It was a busy day, I saw the kittens while clearing the building out, half stopped after being shocked that they were there, then having much more to do I just got them out of the way and they went off with little motivation from me. They didn't want me to even get close to them, they were wild, and are likely safe. They were kittens but not the helpless toddler kind, they were fast but not a full cat. If they didn't want to move and seemed helpless I probably would have given them a temporary shelter for their mom to find and relocate them close but off the property in the forest nearby.

I just looked it up and there was no animal control, and the closest animal shelter is 39 miles, they are better off free. If anything they probably just went back and are now under the building, the whole property is fenced off except for the back which is all thick forest border lined with a few yakka bushes which are easy to avoid. The mom likely loved the security and the ability to kill wildlife in the woods.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not touching a random dog that got hit by a car. I don't know where it's been or if getting hit by a car is gonna make it lash out at me.

Some people on Era care way more about animals than I do, though.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a dog get hit a couple weeks back, the owner and man who hit it were both crying in the street and consoling each other before taking it to the vet I assume. its unlikely it survived.

had me all fucked up.

(I'm helping the injured dog if I can, and I'm glad people willing to do something were there)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is, you saw a dog get hit by a car, then bystander effect kicked in until someone else took the dog to the vet

And don't you "there was traffic" me, I've seen people pull over to save dogs stuck in intersections.

May 9, 2019
I'll be honest...I would probably do nothing if I saw an animal hit by a car. I don't have the same empathy for animals much less strays as others expressed in this thread but I do hate animal cruelty.

Also I live no where near vets and don't even know where they are within my borough.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, in other words, there were extenuating circumstances that rendered you incapable of helping in the situation.

And you're completely incapable of considering there may have been extenuating circumstances that prevented other people from helping in the situation.
Yeah I'm not sure why it's necessary to assume the worst of the people based on OP's extremely limited knowledge of them.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spreading it? Might want to take that fight up with my university for teaching it..
It's been pretty significantly debunked and the original stories it was based on were reported extremely poorly. Your university probably taught it to you before it was debunked or hasn't adjusted curriculum yet to reflect new knowledge (this is common).

Nov 30, 2017
This isn't really a thing, stop spreading it.

Spreading it? Might want to take that fight up with my university for teaching it..
It's been pretty significantly debunked and the original stories it was based on were reported extremely poorly. Your university probably taught it to you before it was debunked or hasn't adjusted curriculum yet to reflect new knowledge (this is common).

Could have lead with that..

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

how has it been debunked? genuinely asking, because google search isn't giving me anything substantive

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP you didn't do anything. Instead of judging others, why didn't you take action? A traffic light can't be on for more than a couple minutes...

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
let me tell you a story.

one dude once hit a dog with his car and felt really bad about it. dog had a collar too. he decided to pick up the poor creature and drive it to a vet clinic to make sure it is alright. dog bit him while he was picking it up but he didnt mind. he dropped it off at vet clinic and that was that.
the very next day that vet clinic was fanatically calling everyone that might know who the man is because the dog had rabies and that man could die. they found him 2 days later so crisis was avoided.

dont pick up random animals.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I'm not touching a random dog that got hit by a car. I don't know where it's been or if getting hit by a car is gonna make it lash out at me.

Some people on Era care way more about animals than I do, though.
let me tell you a story.

one dude once hit a dog with his car and felt really bad about it. dog had a collar too. he decided to pick up the poor creature and drive it to a vet clinic to make sure it is alright. dog bit him while he was picking it up but he didnt mind. he dropped it off at vet clinic and that was that.
the very next day that vet clinic was fanatically calling everyone that might know who the man is because the dog had rabies and that man could die. they found him 2 days later so crisis was avoided.

dont pick up random animals.

It's the most sensible, common sense thing when you don't know the animal. Stay away and call the relevant authorities. I don't blame one bit those men who didn't help, they might have been thinking of their own health and financial liability. They might be thinking they need to pay the rent, their families' own expenses, or whatever responsibility first. Who knows, I won't call them "fucking assholes." They might have been and may very well be.
Now, if you think you can weather the risk, go help the poor animal.
I did pick up a tortoise off the street once and kept it for almost a week in my apartment until I found a sanctuary for it after failing to find the owners. sigh.