• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
220px-Okami_Amaterasu.png

Easily.

(She's in MvC games. She's a FG char. :P)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Obviously Koei Tecmo needs a rep at this point so it'll be the protagonist of their hit fighting series Dead or alive, Kasumi!
latest

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Siegfried/Nightmare idea, the more I think about it. They could be a transformation character, or Nightmare could be an echo of Siegfried. They're strong designs visually, and they're arguably the mascots of Soulcalibur (Nightmare is right in the logo). And bulky armored greatsword-wielding fighters are pretty much nonexistent in Smash. Not to mention the exotic stages and epic orchestral music they would bring. And with Smash being a Bandai-Namco production, Soulcalibur characters should be exceedingly easy to obtain. Also feels like coming full-circle after Link guest-starred in SC2, lol.

edit: If it had to one, though, maybe just Nightmare.

Last edited:

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I don't know about "most interesting", since I'm not at all into fighting games - but I'd have liked to see someone from Killer Instinct. One of the few games I've played on a real SNES back in the day. Possibly TJ Combo, he seems to be more of a "face" of the franchise as far as I can tell.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sub Zero, though Mortal Kombat being banned in Japan might cause some issues with that.

Runner up is Heihachi.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Sub Zero

MK vs Street Fighter finally happening is more interesting than anything else

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Chun-Li before anyone else, even if she's another SK character, she'd be so hype.

Has Sakurai ever mentioned any other fighting games he really loves? Maybe that'll be a hint lol

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
A Guilty Gear rep would be one of the most interesting mechanically.

Bringing with them airdashes and the roman cancel system to make for some of the most freeform combos Smash would ever see. Not many other fighting games would shake things up to a similar degree.

Plus that music.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
There are quite a few I'd like.

I think the best thing to do is add a rep from a dev/pub that's not yet represented in Smash. For fighting games, the most logical one would be Arc System Works with Guilty Gear. They released it on the Switch and a new one is coming next year (though don't know how likely it is to release on Switch). I'm not familiar with the series, so I can't tell which character would be the most interesting.

They could also do Koei Tecmo with Dead or Alive, but I'd rather have Hayabusa Ryu from Ninja Gaiden as a KT rep (no, he does not count as a fighting game character!). But the great thing about Dead or Alive is there is a good chance for a female rep, with Kasumi being the most likely one. But I wonder how she'd stand out besides her being female.

We could also get a Mortal Kombat rep, perhaps Sub Zero. It's a big fighting game series with history on Nintendo platforms. And it has characters that could be really interesting, like Sub Zero as I said.

If we'd look at reps from devs/pubs already represented in Smash, the most obvious one would be from Bandai Namco. Tekken is one of the biggest fighting game series and the best selling behind Smash. Heihachi would probably be their pick, but I'd prefer Jin (also likely) or Asuka (unlikely, but I'm a fan!).

I like Soul Calibur more than Tekken, so I'd choose SC over Tekken. Mitsurugi, Nightmare/Siegfried or Sophitia might be their pick, but I'm a fan of Seong Mi-Na and Yun Seong. I've only played SC 2 and 3, so I don't know much about any of the newer characters.

In the end I think a Guilty Gear character would be the most interesting one, despite me not being familiar with the series. But I'm not really waiting for any character from a fighting game anymore (I wouldn't mind a Tekken or SC character though). For the last character, I think Hayabusa Ryu would be the most logical one as being from a big game series and publisher not yet in Smash (Ninja Gaiden since the NES and from Koei Tecmo).

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Kasumi from Dead or Alive in terms of getting more women on the roster, since she is the lead for that franchise. And it would give Koei Tecmo a franchise.

Although (even though the game is banned in Japan) getting Scorpion or Sub-Zero in would allow Street Fighter X SNK X Mortal Kombat. Even as someone who doesn't like fighting games outside of Smash, I can't deny how huge that would be.

Heihachi would also allow for more Villain representation too.

As cool as Chun-Li would be, the question (and probably what Sakurai is aiming for) is regarding bringing in new franchises to up the crossover count. Hopefully in another game she'll get her due.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
latest

• From a company not involved in Smash already.
  • Covers anime fighters, which have yet to be included in Smash.
  • Series as a number of mechanics not featured in either SF or FF/KOF (Bursts, Roman Cancels, Air Dashes, Instant Kills)
  • Comes with a killer OST.
The choice is obvious.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care for traditional fighters
I'm not a fighting game fan outside Smash
since I'm not at all into fighting games
Even as someone who doesn't like fighting games outside of Smash
Even though I've seen the stats from Evo that implies there's very little crossover between Smash players and other FGs, this is still interesting to see.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Even though I've seen the stats from Evo that implies there's very little crossover between Smash players and other FGs, this is still interesting to see.

For what it's worth, my favorite traditional fighters tend to be ones based on pre-existing IPs that I like, such as MVC and DBFZ.

I'm not entirely sure I'd still be playing Smash after 20 years if it was all original characters.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, my favorite traditional fighters tend to be ones based on pre-existing IPs that I like, such as MVC and DBFZ.

I'm not entirely sure I'd still be playing Smash after 20 years if it was all original characters.
Nothing wrong with that. Can't enjoy a FG if you don't like the characters.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
The more I think about it, Nightmare/Siegfried is the coolest addition. We haven't had a heavy character as DLC yet and it'd be a neat change of pace.

Chun-Li is the most likely addition but I don't know if third party DLC will be from franchises already represented. Morrigan from Darkstalkers is also very likely.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all saying Moral Kombat do realize that the series legit does not exist in Japan, right?

The fact that Mortal Kombat doesn't have any Japanese presence is precisely what makes it interesting IMO. One of the biggest staples of the fighting game genre is also a purely Western phenomenon, and it'd be really cool to see a Japanese developer, especially one as legendary as Sakurai, give that universe a spin.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Go back to Street Fighter and put Chun-Li in.

If Namco doesn't get another rep before then, grab Kazuya Mishima from Tekken. I know Namco likes to use Heihachi for everything, but switch it up for once.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
You people that name characters that have been in a fighting game, but didn't actually originate from a fighting game, give me a headache. Lmao

I do have to wonder how everyone would react to Scorpion in Smash Bros. because you have your typical "He CaNt Be ViOlEnT wHaTs ThE pOiNt" people and then you have the "He's non-existent in Japan. So, he's irrelevant." type of people and lastly, the people who just do not like Scorpion, even though he's the most popular MK character of a very successful franchise.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The fact that Mortal Kombat doesn't have any Japanese presence is precisely what makes it interesting IMO. One of the biggest staples of the fighting game genre is also a purely Western phenomenon, and it'd be really cool to see a Japanese developer, especially one as legendary as Sakurai, give that universe a spin.
All of the Fighter Pass characters thus far are from franchises that Sakurai has personally expressed affinity towards, there's no way in hell he'd pick a series that even Sakurai, as a massive video game nerd, has a limited exposure to.

There's a shitload of other iconic franchises out there that could still be added to Smash, it makes zero fucking sense to add the ONE that would completely alienate fans from the series' home country.

And besides, Sakurai has said that he wouldn't have added Lucas in the first place if he knew that Mother 3 would never get localized. That alone should tell us that MK in Smash is 100% never happening.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Sub Zero. Finally, MKvSF can happen.
We could also get a Mortal Kombat rep, perhaps Sub Zero.
To all of the people suggesting Sub Zero, can I ask why him over Scorpion? Sub Zero is a very popular character, but no one could think that Scorpion isn't #1.

And don't say it's because Scorpion's Spear is too violent. It's just a longer version of Link's hookshot from 64 and Melee.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Spring Man obviously.

...but if we want to go third party. Not really into fighting games but Guilty Gear seems a bit more unique. Sol Badguy would be a lot more interesting than someone from like Tekken or something.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It should be Akira Yuki from virtua fighter but he's in assist trophy hell.

It would probably be someone from Tekken, Kaz, Jin or Heihachi.

My zero chance dream hope would be Ume and/or Tane Goketsu from Power Instinct/Goketsuji Ichizoku.
latest

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Scorpion/Sub-Zero would finally give MK vs SF some formal acknowledgement, plus at least there's some merit given how much of an impact MK/MKII were to the SNES
MK has almost ALWAYS had some Nintendo system-exclusive characters in their ports. Khameleon for MK Trilogy and MK Armaggedon, Shao Kahn and Goro for Deception, Sareena for MK: Deadly Alliance GBA, etc. They do have a history there.

Though I'm also biased. It will probably be the ONLY way we'll be getting a MK vs SF anytime soon, so I support it with all my fighting game heart.
acda4c92b3dd625bbaadd898fc7a5ac8.jpg

Not probably likely... but I can dare to dream. I'd root for my boy Sub-Zero in, with maybe Scorpion as an echo fighter.

Y'all saying Moral Kombat do realize that the series legit does not exist in Japan, right?

Modern ones haven't cleared the CERO rating board, yeah, but it DOES have a cult following in Japan to this day.

Last edited:

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
To all of the people suggesting Sub Zero, can I ask why him over Scorpion? Sub Zero is a very popular character, but no one could think that Scorpion isn't #1.

And don't say it's because Scorpion's Spear is too violent. It's just a longer version of Link's hookshot from 64 and Melee.
Oh, I just always thought Sub Zero was cooler (no pun intended) to play as (Only played MK on SNES). I agree that Scorpion is the most popular without a doubt.

Depending on the moves Scorpion would have, I could see him being interested to use in Smash. I'm just ignorant.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Troll response? MHW isn't a fighting game and Chelsea Handler isn't a fighter.

A bit of an obscure joke but I heard the voice actress for MvCI's Monster Hunter is the same as MHW's Handler.
Ryu and Terry Bogard are the posterboys for Capcom and SNK respectively, two of the most distinguished developers of fighting games. With a second Fighters Pass announced, the chances of receiving another rep for the genre isn't all that slim. What franchise with which character would you like to see represented next?

It's going to be Sol Badguy as the Arc System Works Rep

I personally prefer Ky Kiske but Sol is the golden boy of ASW

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

TBH. Either one would be great. Sub just came to mind first.