• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Scorpion easily. Mortal Kombat is one of the biggest, most iconic, and most successful franchises in videogaming that's not yet gotten any content in Smash Bros. Recent games not releasing there be damned. It deserves a position in this playable hall of fame. And considering Scorpion is literally the guy on Netherrealm's logo, there's no one else it could be. Maybe we'd get Sub-Zero as an echo if Sakurai was feeling generous.

The Lucas situation was for the specific game not being released internationally, but Mortal Kombat doesn't have that problem, as Mortal Kombat 1-4 did release in Japan, on Nintendo systems and in arcades. So it's not really the same deal.

Sakurai is practically a walking encyclopedia of gaming history. And also a self-professed arcade monster in the 90's - there's that infamous story about him making someone else's date cry at an arcade by destroying them at KoF. And that would've been right at the time when Mortal Kombat arcade machines would've been available in Japan, before their ban. To say that the franchise would be alien to him is doing him a disservice.

Plus, Sakurai has always emphasized the "dream match" aspect of Smash Bros. We've seen him champion that when adding Sonic by playing up Mario vs. Sonic, when adding Cloud by having his poster feature him and Link clashing, and with Hero by making a big deal about the different protagonists being able to interact. Hell, he just reiterated it again when talking about the reveal of additional DLC. Do you really think he'd be unaware of the desire for Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat, one of the most requested gaming crossovers this side of Mario vs. Sonic?

Is Scorpion in Smash an uphill battle? Sure. But it's far from an impossible one.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Bubble Bobble could be unique (?)
bubble_bobble_bob_by_b3lz3bu-dc9emdu.png

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I just always thought Sub Zero was cooler (no pun intended) to play as (Only played MK on SNES). I agree that Scorpion is the most popular without a doubt.

Depending on the moves Scorpion would have, I could see him being interested to use in Smash. I'm just ignorant.
TBH. Either one would be great. Sub just came to mind first.
Alright. I get that. Not like Sub Zero isn't also massively popular. It'd be different if you were suggesting Bo Rai Cho or Kobra.

I just remember Maximilian_Dood saying that Scorpion wouldn't work because he's too violent and that it should be Sub Zero instead and thinking that made no sense.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see Chun-Li, but I feel like she's probably not on the horizon after Ken. Morrigan is also always a fun pick, but with her design and so few Nintendo appearances, she's probably even less likely.

I think Nightmare would make a cool pick. He's both a villain and technically a form of the main character seeing as he spawned from Siegfried.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
All of the Fighter Pass characters thus far are from franchises that Sakurai has personally expressed affinity towards, there's no way in hell he'd pick a series that even Sakurai, as a massive video game nerd, has a limited exposure to.

There's a shitload of other iconic franchises out there that could still be added to Smash, it makes zero fucking sense to add the ONE that would completely alienate fans from the series' home country.

And besides, Sakurai has said that he wouldn't have added Lucas in the first place if he knew that Mother 3 would never get localized. That alone should tell us that MK in Smash is 100% never happening.

I mean if we really wanted to boil things down to likely possibilities I would've said Kazuya over Heihachi or Sol Badguy. I get MK's chances of getting into Smash are near-zero. I'm interested in part because of how low the chances are. 🤷

Like I don't exactly consider it a troll answer, y'know? Not any more so than Kratos or Goku.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken seems the most likely at this point, but the way the game plays doesn't seem very interesting to adapt for Smash?
EWGF just frame type mechanics that are safe on shield or hard knockdowns could be interesting so add one of the Mishimas.

Bubble Bobble could be unique (?)
bubble_bobble_bob_by_b3lz3bu-dc9emdu.png

Bubble Bobble is my favourite fighting game.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I think Ryu does pretty solid double-duty as a rep for his own series, famous on Nintendo hardware, and Dead or Alive.

Not really sure on the creativity of his moveset, and his diversity representation score is low, but in terms of classic 3rd party representation he's practically valedictorian.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
If we're able to add characters from existing series, Chun-Li should be added.

Otherwise, if we're looking at other series and have to pick the iconic characters then...
Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear with air dashes with forward/back + B could be neat.
Morrigan from Darkstalkers.
Not sure who could rep Virtua Fighter if not Akira, but Pai?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Guilty Gear, please. That would be excellent. I'd be happy with BlazBlue, but then it'd be Ragna or Jin, which I don't care about.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Either Chun-Li, Siegfreid/Nightmare, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Sol Badguy would be intriguing picks for me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Scorpion easily. Mortal Kombat is one of the biggest, most iconic, and most successful franchises in videogaming that's not yet gotten any content in Smash Bros. Recent games not releasing there be damned. It deserves a position in this playable hall of fame. And considering Scorpion is literally the guy on Netherrealm's logo, there's no one else it could be. Maybe we'd get Sub-Zero as an echo if Sakurai was feeling generous.

The Lucas situation was for the specific game not being released internationally, but Mortal Kombat doesn't have that problem, as Mortal Kombat 1-4 did release in Japan, on Nintendo systems and in arcades. So it's not really the same deal.

Sakurai is practically a walking encyclopedia of gaming history. And also a self-professed arcade monster in the 90's - there's that infamous story about him making someone else's date cry at an arcade by destroying them at KoF. And that would've been right at the time when Mortal Kombat arcade machines would've been available in Japan, before their ban. To say that the franchise would be alien to him is doing him a disservice.

Plus, Sakurai has always emphasized the "dream match" aspect of Smash Bros. We've seen him champion that when adding Sonic by playing up Mario vs. Sonic, when adding Cloud by having his poster feature him and Link clashing, and with Hero by making a big deal about the different protagonists being able to interact. Hell, he just reiterated it again when talking about the reveal of additional DLC. Do you really think he'd be unaware of the desire for Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat, one of the most requested gaming crossovers this side of Mario vs. Sonic?

Is Scorpion in Smash an uphill battle? Sure. But it's far from an impossible one.
Silver lining, it'd be one way to get Patrick Seitz back as Scorpion.

Oct 28, 2017
Sol Badguy or Scorpion, prefer the latter because MK doesn't have many of the traditional archetypes of fighting games which would be interesting for smash.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Scorpions most iconic move is basically already taken by characters like Link and Samus. If you're gonna have MK Ninjas Sub Zero seems like a more interesting gimmick, though that would also be really really overpowered.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
How is there not a Tekken rep despite Namco developing the game.

Heihachi or Kazuya would be dope

But my heart wants Yoshimitsu.

EDIT: You know what? Fuck it, bring the queen Chun-li

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

I think the sheer fact that even MK's crossovers being in a bubble of their own (no mainstream characters are included except for horror/violence based stuff because no one wants to see their characters getting eviscerated) tells you how much people would want to associate with it. And yea, I know Bayo/Snake exists but no, neither of them involve extreme gore with excruciating detail.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Tekken is deserving, so Heihachi makes sense.

Killer Instinct was huge on the SNES and Rare is already involved with Smash, but KI was never released in Japan. Fulgore would be awesome though.

Hell, pick Amingo or Ruby heart so we can get a MvC stage and music.

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious answer is someone from Tekken or Soul Calibur

But I think Katalina would be great. Maybe in time for the next Fighter Pass, and hopefully Sakurai is a fan of Granblue. Would double as a Cygames rep as well.

tumblr_prf0tqd4A41xe7bu7o1_400.gif

But If people still have sword fatigue, then May from Guilty Gear

giphy.gif

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Spinal from Killer Instinct. He's on the cover of Killer Cuts, so duh

Don't want MK in this, especially not Scorpion. I appreciate his aesthetic, but I've come to realize I've hated his gameplay design in almost game he's in.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Mortal Kombat makes the most sense given that they've actually got a game on the Switch.

Which is funny regarding Arc System Works, because they have Dragon Ball FighterZ, BlazBlue: Central Fiction, BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, and Guilty Gear 20th Anniversary Pack (Guilty Gear + Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R) but no current GG.

Scorpions most iconic move is basically already taken by characters like Link and Samus. If you're gonna have MK Ninjas Sub Zero seems like a more interesting gimmick, though that would also be really really overpowered.

Okay, but like, it wouldn't work like a grab considering it leads to a stun and it'd be longer range.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
I think the sheer fact that even MK's crossovers being in a bubble of their own (no mainstream characters are included except for horror/violence based stuff because no one wants to see their characters getting eviscerated) tells you how much people would want to associate with it. And yea, I know Bayo/Snake exists but no, neither of them involve extreme gore with excruciating detail.
Tell that to Injustice 1, where Scorpion was portrayed perfectly fine without any blood and gore. Or MKvsDC, which saw him get that treatment, plus another healthy chunk of the MK cast. OR how about let's talk Bayonetta, who does get much more violent and gory than you're giving her credit for.

bladonetta.jpg

If Bayo can pull stuff like this and be hunky dory, then a Scorpion on the level of his already much toned-down and still-intact Injustice 1/MKvDC self should be plenty fine.

Last edited:

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Goku. Yeah i don't care he came from an anime.. Dude deserves it, and it would be the most unexpected and hilarious melt down

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
If including Nintendo 1st party then Twin...
Twintelle.png

If NO ARMS characters then ...

Skullgirls Filia
483-4832694_filia-blown-hair-blown-sassy-skullgirls-filia-victory.png

Or Sol Badguy
latest

If limited to the games already repped in Smash then Chun Li
Chun-Li.png

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Tell that to Injustice 1, where Scorpion was portrayed perfectly fine without any blood and gore. Or MKvsDC, which saw him get that treatment, plus another healthy chunk of the MK cast. OR how about let's talk Bayonetta, who does get much more violent and gory than you're giving her credit for.

bladonetta.jpg

If Bayo can pull stuff like this and be hunky dory, then a Scorpion on the level of his already much toned-down and still-intact Injustice 1/MKvDC self should be plenty fine.
A MK rep can definitely be toned down but the sheer association of a series with extremely detailed ways of killing (Bayo really doesn't have anything compared to MK's decapitation/skinning/smashing with extremely detailed screaming) over a very long period of its history would definitely raise multiple eyebrows.
Not to forget there's nothing to indicate Nintendo/Sakurai's preference for MK over any other iconic series (I think the fact that he went for SNK does indicate that western reps are the exception rather than the norm. Especially for something as controversial in Japan as MK).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A MK rep can definitely be toned down but the sheer association of a series with extremely detailed ways of killing (Bayo really doesn't have anything compared to MK's decapitation/skinning/smashing with extremely detailed screaming)

I don't think Bayonetta ever kills humans in that way either, mostly weird expressionless monsters. Having a game where some of the developers were made to watch actual blood and gore for reference until it messed them up in Smash isn't really something I can ever get behind (not that its likely at all since the IP is actually banned in Japan?)

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
a Mortal Kombat character without gore is the none pizza with left beef of the video game world