• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I don't think Bayonetta ever kills humans in that way either, mostly weird expressionless monsters. Having a game where some of the developers were made to watch actual blood and gore for reference until it messed them up in Smash isn't really something I can ever get behind (not that its likely at all since the IP is actually banned in Japan?)
It's definitely the details in which its portrayed, but I didn't consider the human factor as well (which is a pretty big thing. Bloody destruction of fictional monsters is very different from detailed gore of humans).
Personally speaking its the only game where I would be honestly disgusted if it made any appearance in smash because of that.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Having a game where some of the developers were made to watch actual blood and gore for reference until it messed them up
You said that as if no developers do research. Like we recently had even The Last of Us Part II devs talk about making violence and gore more real and how.

On-topic, my vote also goes to Mortal Kombat. Classic Scorpion or Sub-Zero, and the whole pallete swaped ninjas as alternate colors.

Some of the reactions around the violence of MK not fitting with the game, when we even have a chibi Pyramid Head in Bomberman...despite all his appearances killing people even in the movies.

Like.. is a game. If a character ends in Smash is because of popularity and developers, not because of common sense.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
You said that as if no developers do research. Like we recently had even The Last of Us Part II devs talk about making violence and gore more real and how.

On-topic, my vote also goes to Mortal Kombat. Classic Scorpion or Sub-Zero, and the whole pallete swaped ninjas as alternate colors.

Some of the reactions around the violence of MK not fitting with the game, when we even have a chibi Pyramid Head in Bomberman...despite all his appearances killing people even in the movies.

Like.. is a game. If a character ends in Smash is because of popularity and developers, not because of common sense.
Ah yes, because Silent Hill definitely has the same level of gore that MK has.
Also if you really want to use the popularity argument its non-existent in Japan, the place where Nintendo/Sakurai is based? The game in which only 1 of the playable chars is from a western company?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Ah yes, because Silent Hill definitely has the same level of gore that MK has.
Also if you really want to use the popularity argument its non-existent in Japan, the place where Nintendo/Sakurai is based? The game in which only 1 of the playable chars is from a western company?
Pyramid Head decapitates, cuts in half, rips apart and removes the flesh from people (even more explicit in the movies). Yet a chibi version was made so that Silent Hill had a rep in Bomberman. All I'm saying that those using violence/gore as an excuse to not have a MK rep, doesn't make sense.

Heck, the PG-13 media offerings of the late 90s did quite well and the T rated MKvDCU did over 3 million units which was on par to the latests MK games from back then.

Mortal Kombat did had a precense back then in Japan, just that after Midway closed WB hasn't bothered to release them because of the gore.

Plus, this thread is about "wishes". Not accurate or hard facts about which fighting game rep should make it.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
feonando Plus to add into it, Scorpion/Raiden/Sub-Zero being Smash Bros.

But no, these specific MK fans have this thing about the characters having no violence whatsoever being a no go. It's actually quite annoying.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
"other companies also might have given employees ptsd" doesn't really disprove or justify anything.
Like what is your point even?
You brought it to the discussion as a reason for not wanting a rep from Mortal Kombat in Smash:
Having a game where some of the developers were made to watch actual blood and gore for reference until it messed them up in Smash isn't really something I can ever get behind (not that its likely at all since the IP is actually banned in Japan?)
So what was your point then?

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoshimitsu. Reps two series at once and would fit fight into Smash.

Great idea! Plus he is pretty iconic as far as Namco characters go.
Y'all saying Moral Kombat do realize that the series legit does not exist in Japan, right?

Its not as big as it is here in the US, but you can't say "legit does not exist". Besides, they gotta put a Western developed character in the game at some point, dammit.
Not the most popular pick but Kasumi from DOA.

I would absolutely love this. DOA doesn't get enough love and Kasumi has been an iconic character for years.
Nothing would be more hype than Scorpion/Sub-Zero

This is true. My top pick.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
My first thought was Scorpion or Sub-Zero given their popularity and recognition among casuals. But I feel like Terry is fairly niche (I recognized him as the "Fatal Fury Hat Guy" but didn't know his name) so they could literally go anywhere. That being said, I'd love to see Yoshimitsu from Tekken. Dude was brutal back when I played Tekken Tag. I'd also love to see PANDA or that Kangaroo character for a laugh.

In terms of my guesses for the fifth fighter in the fighters pass, so far it's been:

1. Joker - nimble/speed character
2. Hero - magic/sword character
3. Banjo - heavy brawler
4. Terry - mid-weight brawler (assumption)
5. ? [I assume this will be a projectile, gunner type character] Doomguy? Master Chief? CoD character?

My dream addition:

color_splash_paper_mario.png

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only one I wanted was Sukapon and he was made into an assist.

I'd rather have Yoshimitsu than somebody like Heihachi because he's just super boring looking while Yoshi at least has fun and varied costumes. Subzero would be ok if only for the freezing powers and I don't like Scorpion. Nightmare and Siegfried would be crap because I think they look awful so I wouldn't enjoy their additions. If if has to have somebody from DOA just make it Ryu Hayabusa so he can rep Ninja Gaiden as well.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I think it really should be Kazuya Mishima.

Bamco still don't have a rep (edit: I'm dumb, theres Pacman of course) even though they're developing the core gameplay and more. Capcom and SNK got a rep before them. Tekken also is at top hype levels again right now.
And Kazuya seems to be the posterboy equivalent for Tekken as Ryu is for Street Fighter. At least he was presented as such for Street Fighter X Tekken for example.
He'd also be a more interesting character than most vanilla posterboy character because of how they have implemented the Devil Kazuya moves into his regular character lately. Devil moves and transformation could be pretty dope.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not as big as it is here in the US, but you can't say "legit does not exist". Besides, they gotta put a Western developed character in the game at some point, dammit.
It's literally banned in Japan. And we just got Banjo & Kazooie!

You brought it to the discussion as a reason for not wanting a rep from Mortal Kombat in Smash:

So what was your point then?
Their point is...in their post. You yourself are acknowledging it as something they don't want. They didn't say it can't happen.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is 0% chance Justice would be chosen as the Guilty Gear character over Sol Baguy, but she would be the coolest choice. Her resurrection scene would even make for a perfect reveal trailer.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
MK literally does not exist in Japan. The games don't release there at all.

If we get any more Western characters, they're going to be from series that Japan likes.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
For fighting games the only choice that matters is Scorpion/SubZero.

As for most interesting I would be very pleased and very surprised if Skullgirls characters made the cut. Nintendo has done some crazy shit in the past but I can't really see them accepting body horror which a large chunk of the mostly female cast flirts with.

xwdlfi65ths11.png
DFNCWLvU0AE2LET.png:large

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For fighting games the only choice that matters is Scorpion/SubZero.

As for most interesting I would be very pleased and very surprised if Skullgirls characters made the cut. Nintendo has done some crazy shit in the past but I can't really see them accepting body horror which a large chunk of the mostly female cast flirts with.

xwdlfi65ths11.png
DFNCWLvU0AE2LET.png:large
FUCK YEAH PAINWHEEL

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I think it really should be Kazuya Mishima.

Bamco still don't have a rep even though they're developing the core gameplay and more. Capcom and SNK got a rep before them. Tekken also is at top hype levels again right now.
And Kazuya seems to be the posterboy equivalent for Tekken as Ryu is for Street Fighter. At least he was presented as such for Street Fighter X Tekken for example.
He'd also be a more interesting character than most vanilla posterboy character because of how they have implemented the Devil Kazuya moves into his regular character lately. Devil moves and transformation could be pretty dope.

1200px-Pac-Man_SSBU.png

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Mortal Kombat would be the most interesting.

Chun-Li or Heihachi would be the safe picks

If you want to go deeper, get someone from Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
MK doesn't release there at all due to CERO. But there is an older audience that likes MK over there.
It can't be that much of an audience if the games don't even release there. Nintendo has a ton of options for DLC characters, you'd think it would be obvious to expect them to pick a series that actually releases in their country.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part fighting games aren't really my thing but I could definitely use some Chun-li in my Smash.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Scorpion ends up being a thing and I'll flip my shit (positive way)

We'd finally get that 90s dream match up officially if it were to happen with Scorpion vs Ryu (Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter)

Plus I think it'd also be cool, assuming Hayabusa gets in, to have him and Scorpion battle it out.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Marth and Lucas gave us the right to get a character that has been a few generations that isn't released in japan =P

Oct 27, 2017

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
First and foremost someone from Rhythm Tengoku. It's a nice, successful Nintendo series made by the Metroid team (!) which STILL lacks reps.

Then following Terry as a SNK rep I'd add Bonk as Hudson/PC-Engine rep and Guybrush Threepwood as a Western PC rep. Like Terry they aren't really associated with Nintendo, but are game icons.
Fighting game.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
The most INTERESTING pick? Hm.

I'd say someone from Under Night In Birth. My pick would be Gordeau.

Under Night In Birth has recently gone from being a lesser known darling among the FGC to being prominently featured at EVO. On top of that, not only did characters from Under Night In Birth get onto the Switch via Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, the latest Under Night In Birth iteration has been announced for the Switch. So they're at least eligible.

Mind you, this isn't a likely pick, but OP didn't ask for likely. They asked for interesting. And while picks like Siegfried and Heihachi and the like are DAMN GOOD PICKS...they're not exactly interesting or surprising, imo.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the ultimate fanboy move would be to take that character from Dead or Alive known as Spartan-458 and just sneak Master Chief into the game that way. :D